Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
25 min ago
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
6 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 03-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Default Oppo BDP-80 vs Pioneer BDP-23FD???

I am trying to decide between these 2 players since they are both high quality and in my price range. Any help on which to choose?

It will be hooked uo to a Pio Elite 768p plasma and a Onkyo 605 avr.
Detroit/Michigan Sports Fanatic - Go Blue, Wings, Tigers, Lions, Pistons!
Famous Blu-ray.com Quotes:
"the Anti-Crim wasn't banned, though...just regular and pirate version" - jkwest
"Crim if you can read this, give us a sign." - dpompeo (aka dpomp)
"I'm glad you aren't dead." - BruceWayne
"Brucey!!!! nice...getting lucky with some rapper skank!" - jkwest

Last edited by Schultzy; 03-11-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #2

Feb 2009
Michigan, USA

HDMI audio, I take it?

Also, does your TV accept 1080p? The Pioneer will not output 720p unless the source material is 720p, using Source Direct.

The Pioneer can output 48bit color. Not sure about the Oppo, or if that even matters to you...

The Pioneer MAY have better upconversion, although I would think using Source Direct to your Plasma would give great results. I know some Pioneer 51 owners preferred the player to upconvert instead of Source Direct to their Pioneer plasma's and some preferred the TV to do the work. I assume they are very similar.

I don't think you can go wrong with either player. What one looks best to you?

Last edited by Blacklac; 03-11-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post
HDMI audio, I take it?

Also, does your TV accept 1080p? The Pioneer will not output 720p unless the source material is 720p, using Source Direct.
Yes, all HDMI. Yes, the tv will accept 1080p, then convert it to it's native resolution.
"the Anti-Crim wasn't banned, though...just regular and pirate version" - jkwest
Old 03-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Banned

Aug 2009
FL

Bdp-80
Old 03-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
California

Do you need/want the SACD and DVD-A feature? If you do then I'd pick the Oppo, if not the Elite.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
Old 03-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post
Do you need/want the SACD and DVD-A feature? If you do then I'd pick the Oppo, if not the Elite.
Not too interested in SACD or DVD-A right now. Mainly interested in PQ for BD's and DVD's, AQ, and decent load times.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post
+1. That is what I've been saying between the oppo and pioner 23fd all along. I've owned the 83 and 23fd. No dvd-a/sacd...then go for the 23fd. Especially if you already have pioneer elite equipment.
Sony: KDL70W850B 70-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV
Sony: HT-CT150 3.1 Sound Bar
Drobo FS NAS: 20 terabytes
Synology 213J NAS: 6 terabytes
13" MacBook Air
iPhone 6 Plus
iPad Retina Mini
Old 03-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Calgary, Canada

I'm not sure on the Oppo, but the DVD playback on the 23 is superb. The upconversion rivals some of the best available right now. I would, from reading, give the speed to the Oppo however, so you need to decide what's the most important thing to you right now. I have a 23FD and I love it. When I was shopping for a player, I was batting around the idea of the Oppo BDP-83, but in the end, couldn't justify the extra $100 for something that I may never use, the SACD and DVD-A option. I went with the 23FD and am pleased.
Sharp Quattron LC-70EQ10U Display
XBox One
Motorola DCX3510-M Cable DVR
Marantz SR6007 receiver
Polk RTi A1 and CSi A4 center and RTi4 surrounds
SVS SB12-NSD sealed subwoofer
Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #9
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

The Pioneer MAY have better upconversion, although I would think using Source Direct to your Plasma would give great results. I know some Pioneer 51 owners preferred the player to upconvert instead of Source Direct to their Pioneer plasma's and some preferred the TV to do the work. I assume they are very similar.
I have the Pio bd 23fd and a Pio elite kuro 151fd plasma. I'm not getting 720p output?

How would I set both up to get the best picture for dvd and bluray? What options should be selected?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:02 AM   #10
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMF View Post
+1. That is what I've been saying between the oppo and pioner 23fd all along. I've owned the 83 and 23fd. No dvd-a/sacd...then go for the 23fd. Especially if you already have pioneer elite equipment.
If you could describe in detail the differences in PQ and AQ between the two would be great if you don't mind, I'm just very curious. On other forum/websites everyone raves about the Oppo but the only consistant thing I notice them praise about it is the speed/loading times for bd's. I'm focussed on picture quality the most.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:51 AM   #11
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post
If you could describe in detail the differences in PQ and AQ between the two would be great if you don't mind, I'm just very curious. On other forum/websites everyone raves about the Oppo but the only consistant thing I notice them praise about it is the speed/loading times for bd's. I'm focussed on picture quality the most.
PQ/AQ...I see no noticeable difference. The both look amazing and the same on my Pioneer Kuro which I used both players for. Other than sacd and dvd-a everything is about equal. Even load times are about as fast on the 23fd as the oppo is. The difference is very very very slim.
Sony: KDL70W850B 70-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV
Sony: HT-CT150 3.1 Sound Bar
Drobo FS NAS: 20 terabytes
Synology 213J NAS: 6 terabytes
13" MacBook Air
iPhone 6 Plus
iPad Retina Mini
Old 03-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #12

Oct 2008
Atlanta Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
I am trying to decide between these 2 players since they are both high quality and in my price range. Any help on which to choose?

It will be hooked uo to a Pio Elite 768p plasma and a Onkyo 605 avr.
Schultzy,

1st let me state that I own both the Oppo BDP-80 and the Pioneer BDP-23FD that you are considering. If speed, responsiveness and overall performance are very important to you then I would buy the Oppo. If the aforementioned is important to you and you don't require SACD and DVD-A support, then I would still lean towards the Oppo. Here are the plusses for the Pioneer. Multi-channel PQLS if you own a current year AVR model, which you don’t and a standard 2 year warranty. Better bass management, which is not a concern since you will most likely be using HDMI through your Onkyo and the Pioneer can be had for $250.00, which is the reason I picked one up since I was in the market for another player. The blu-ray PQ and DVD PQ is very good in both players and I personally would have no problem with either player as the centerpiece in my home theater setup. I’ve owned several Pioneer products and several Oppo products and the ownership experience has definitely been better with my Oppo products particularly in the area of customer service and it’s not even close.

The BDP-23FD has definately improved on the speed front from previous (BDP-51FD & BDP-05FD) Pioneer models, but still not as fast as the Oppo, but more than tolerable than previous models.

Last edited by bakerwi; 03-14-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post
Schultzy,

1st let me state that I own both the Oppo BDP-80 and the Pioneer BDP-23FD that you are considering. If speed, responsiveness and overall performance are very important to you then I would buy the Oppo. If the aforementioned is important to you and you don't require SACD and DVD-A support, then I would still lean towards the Oppo. Here are the plusses for the Pioneer. Multi-channel PQLS if you own a current year AVR model, which you don’t and a standard 2 year warranty. Better bass management, which is not a concern since you will most likely be using HDMI through your Onkyo and the Pioneer can be had for $250.00, which is the reason I picked one up since I was in the market for another player. The blu-ray PQ and DVD PQ is very good in both players and I personally would have no problem with either player as the centerpiece in my home theater setup. I’ve owned several Pioneer products and several Oppo products and the ownership experience has definitely been better with my Oppo products particularly in the area of customer service and it’s not even close.

The BDP-23FD has definately improved on the speed front from previous (BDP-51FD & BDP-05FD) Pioneer models, but still not as fast as the Oppo, but more than tolerable than previous models.
Thanks, thats some good info. What is most important to me is a player with really good PQ & AQ (obviously) and that it runs quiet. I really want to spend close to $200, but can justify a bit more for quality.

More confused now than before!
Old 03-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #14

Oct 2008
Atlanta Metro

Quote:
Thanks, thats some good info. What is most important to me is a player with really good PQ & AQ (obviously) and that it runs quiet. I really want to spend close to $200, but can justify a bit more for quality.

Schultzy,

If $200.00 is your price point, then I would give heavy consideration to the Pioneer BDP-320, since it can be had for less than $200.00.

I borrowed this information from the AVS Forum to show the basic differences between the BDP-23FD and the BDP-320:
  • Video and Audio performance are identical over HDMI and should be nearly identical over analogue in most cases
  • 23FD is the Elite version and carries a 2 year warranty
  • 320 has a 1 year warranty.
  • 23FD has backlit buttons on the front fascia and an amber display
  • 320 has a light blue display
  • 23FD is slightly taller due to its feet
  • 23FD has MCH PQLS to reduce jitter when the player decodes audio codecs to a Pioneer Receiver
  • 320 only has 2 channel PQLS
  • 23FD also has an RS 232 control plug on the back for custom integration.

In my opinion you would only be getting an incremental (very small) performance improvement by purchasing the Elite BDP-23FD over the BDP-320.

I sent you a PM on pricing for the BDP-320.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #15

Oct 2007
Gainesville,FL

Quote:

if your goal is PQ & AQ then 23 will do just fine. it runs super quite too.

Can't go wrong with this price

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ioneer-bdp23fd
Old 03-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #16
Special Member

Apr 2009
Boston, MA

you can hook up an external harddrive to the oppo, i dunno if the pio can do that. i had the pio 51fd and the oppe is 10x better than it. from persoanl use i would say oppo. it has a usb connecter, the pq/aq are amazing on it, the load times are fast and it even comes with a good hdmi cable.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #17

Oct 2008
Atlanta Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePope666 View Post
if your goal is PQ & AQ then 23 will do just fine. it runs super quite too.

Can't go wrong with this price

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ioneer-bdp23fd
thePope666,

I agree that the BDP-23FD price is very attractive. I picked mine up from Vanns.com at that great price, but based on the OP's desire to stay around $200.00 I still believe that the BDP-23FD is only an incremental (very small) performance improvement over the BDP-320 especially if his goal is to stay at or near $200.00.

Just my $.02.

Willie
Main Setup - Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD, Marantz AV8801, Zektor MAS7.1, Classé CA-2200, Classé CA-5200, Oppo BDP-105D, Oppo BDP-93, Cambridge Audio Azur 752BD, Denon DVD-5910CI, Paradigm Signature S8 (Pair), Paradigm Signature ADP1 (Pair), Paradigm Signature ADP3 (Pair), Paradigm Signature C5, REL R-505 Sub (Pair)

Master Bedroom - Pioneer Elite Pro-950HD, Sony BDP-S790, Oppo BDP-103, Denon AVR-3802
Family Room - Toshiba 46SL417U, Panasonic DMP-BDT500 & Oppo BDP-83, Onkyo TX-NR5008
Old 03-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #18

Oct 2008
Atlanta Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRyMcNizzy13 View Post
you can hook up an external harddrive to the oppo, i dunno if the pio can do that. i had the pio 51fd and the oppe is 10x better than it. from persoanl use i would say oppo. it has a usb connecter, the pq/aq are amazing on it, the load times are fast and it even comes with a good hdmi cable.
I'm very happy with my recent Pioneer purchases, but I was surprised that the USB port is strictly for additional storage. I should not have assumed that it was there for additional storage and external media. Again, not a big deal.

Willie
Main Setup - Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD, Marantz AV8801, Zektor MAS7.1, Classé CA-2200, Classé CA-5200, Oppo BDP-105D, Oppo BDP-93, Cambridge Audio Azur 752BD, Denon DVD-5910CI, Paradigm Signature S8 (Pair), Paradigm Signature ADP1 (Pair), Paradigm Signature ADP3 (Pair), Paradigm Signature C5, REL R-505 Sub (Pair)

Master Bedroom - Pioneer Elite Pro-950HD, Sony BDP-S790, Oppo BDP-103, Denon AVR-3802
Family Room - Toshiba 46SL417U, Panasonic DMP-BDT500 & Oppo BDP-83, Onkyo TX-NR5008
Old 03-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

I am curious. If the Pioneer players are identical to the cheaper Oppo 80, does the Pioneer BDP-23, or BDP-320 offer subtitle placement and V stretch? I want this feature since I use a CIH set up and the Oppo offers subtitle placement. It's a real problem when watching scope foreign films and the subtitles are in the black bar (Sony and Warner do this). I checked the price on the Pioneer for $160 on amazon. The lack of this feature may make me want to go for the oppo I planned about.
Projector:Infocus X10 1080p DLP projector & DIY anamorphic lens
TV:Samsung DLP 1080p TV HL-T5676S
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5640 AV receiver
HTPC/gaming rig
Add me on Steam: rctyke (trogdor2010)
Old 03-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #20

Oct 2008
Atlanta Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post
I am curious. If the Pioneer players are identical to the cheaper Oppo 80, does the Pioneer BDP-23, or BDP-320 offer subtitle placement and V stretch? I want this feature since I use a CIH set up and the Oppo offers subtitle placement. It's a real problem when watching scope foreign films and the subtitles are in the black bar (Sony and Warner do this). I checked the price on the Pioneer for $160 on amazon. The lack of this feature may make me want to go for the oppo I planned about.
Trogdor2010,

Both Oppo players offer a sub-title shift feature and various zoom modes. The zoom modes in the BDP-83 models are a little bit more robust, but BDP-80 zoom modes are not bad at all. This is one feature that I really liked about the Oppo players. The BDP-83 zoom modes work for both blu-ray and DVDs where permitted by the disc. When I owned my Denon DVD-3800BDCI it only allowed the zoom function on DVD's and it wasn't implemented as well as the Oppo BDP-83. Occasionally, I don't like the black bars.

Willie

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders