COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Coraline (Blu-ray)
$19.70
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lost: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.45
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99
War Horse (Blu-ray)
$9.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Race to Witch Mountain (Blu-ray)
$8.99
American Horror Story: Coven (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Lincoln (Blu-ray)
$15.61

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #1

Jan 2010
Default Finally!!! I found The Thing used for cheap

Jut ordered it online used for $12.50 shipping included. I can't wait to see this movie. Never seen it before. My brother recently let me borrow the dvd and he keeps asking me if i have seen it. I don't know how to tell him that I have been trying to find it on blu ray so that i can enjoy it more in high def. Well I will have it soon, and then i will tell him i saw it, but i wont tell him a saw the bluray version.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
☣☣☣☣☣
Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantinflas View Post
Jut ordered it online used for $12.50 shipping included. I can't wait to see this movie. Never seen it before. My brother recently let me borrow the dvd and he keeps asking me if i have seen it. I don't know how to tell him that I have been trying to find it on blu ray so that i can enjoy it more in high def. Well I will have it soon, and then i will tell him i saw it, but i wont tell him a saw the bluray version.
Why would you want to buy a used bd?....especially of all movies, The Thing?
- - - Breaking Bad - - -
Old 03-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #3

Jan 2010

Well, its the only way I buy my Blu's. Usually they are in great shape. I have had good luck with the ones I have purchased so far. I have saved a whole lot of $$$$ too. The spouse would have a problem with me paying top dollar for Blu's.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #4

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
Why would you want to buy a used bd?....especially of all movies, The Thing?
One could reasonably assume the reason, is to save money over purchasing new, as many people do, not myself personally so much... but I certainly understand the draw to purchase used Ask WormRaper, he's an wonderful example of how purchasing used (when you buy 200+ blu rays a year) will save hundreds if not thousands of dollars, pretty good reason if you ask me...
Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #5

Mar 2008
Boise

Regardless if it was purchased new or used as long as it works for you, this is a great movie and a very good transfer. Enjoy!
TV/PROJECTOR: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 | RECEIVER: Onkyo TX-SR609
CENTER: Klipsch RC-3 II | FRONTS: Klipsch RF3 II x 2
SURR: Klipsch RS10 x 2 | Klipsch SS.5 x 2 | SUB: Def Tech PF15TL+ (front) / AA RW-15 (back)
Sony BDP-S5100 | XBOX 360 | APC AV H15
-----------

My Trade/For Sale Thread
Old 03-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

As long as the disc and case is in good shape, and the price is right, there's nothing wrong with buying used.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

I would go used for significant saving but the Thing is only $15.49 on Amazon. Saving $3 is not enough for me too buy used. You will enjoy the movie one of John Carpenters best.
Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures
Old 03-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

Nothing wrong with used but you have to always keep in mind that eventually the price to buy it used will be the same to buy it new lol. Patience is truly a virtue.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" -- President Merkin Muffley/Dr. Strangelove

55" VIZIO 3D Razor LED M3D550KD
Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2/ Pioneer Center SP-C21
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 3D Blu-ray ~ LG BD 370~ PS3 ~ FAT
DIRECTV HR34 Genie
Old 03-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Canada

I picked up my copy for $9.99 on sale a cpl months back. I am still amazed at how great it looks on Blu. Enjoy your movie!!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

in my opinion one of the greatest scifi/horror movies. on par with Alien. one of my favorite movies and a great bluray.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #11

Jul 2009

Reminder to all, "The Thing" was the reference disk for producing the "bitstream bomb" on early HDMI receivers with a certain brand of DSP chips. My Onkyo 705 was one of the guilty receivers. If you have one of these, you would be wise to search the AVS forum for "bitstream bomb" prior to play, or else your speakers, dog, etc. might not be in too good of shape...
Old 03-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #12
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Bay Area, Cali
Send a message via Yahoo to CZAR

I never buy used blu's! I actually bought this movie at Frys about a month ago for 14.99. U probably couldve gotten it for the same price brand new! Hope it works out for u. Got Em!!
"Quinton is IN....let the fun BEGIN" - Can't Buy Me Love
Old 03-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

I only have a couple used blus in my collection, and the only one I can remember is a chick flick for the wife. You can get new blus for used prices on Amazon Marketplace. The reason The Thing probably hasn't went down is because it is such a stellar movie. I actually still have it on HD DVD because it has the full "Terror Takes Shape" doc, which wasn't included in full form on the blu.
Sh*t Earl...it's Ted Holister.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
☣☣☣☣☣
Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantinflas View Post
Well, its the only way I buy my Blu's. Usually they are in great shape. I have had good luck with the ones I have purchased so far. I have saved a whole lot of $$$$ too. The spouse would have a problem with me paying top dollar for Blu's.
I gotcha....damn women!!
- - - Breaking Bad - - -
Old 03-19-2010, 11:40 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
☣☣☣☣☣
Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdot View Post
in my opinion one of the greatest scifi/horror movies. on par with Alien. one of my favorite movies and a great bluray.
Agreed!!!
- - - Breaking Bad - - -
Old 03-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #16

Jan 2010

They have used vs. new thread somewhere on here already. With that said I have purchased a ton of blu used and I have yet to have one complaint. Where some guys on here tend to be ocd geared towards having their collection in pristine condition, my ocd sways towards I can't spend over a certain amount on different movies. To you it's only 2-3 bucks to me I can't do it

Btw OP great buy. I personally am waiting for this to hit 9.99 before I pick it up. I am in no hurry to get it so I can wait. Easily one of my top 5 favorite movies.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:50 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZAR View Post
I never buy used blu's! I actually bought this movie at Frys about a month ago for 14.99. U probably couldve gotten it for the same price brand new! Hope it works out for u. Got Em!!
They never stocked it at Best Buy...and the last time I saw it at Fry's, it was still $28 or something.

I'll stop by tomorrow, see if they still have it at a good price like that.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Long Island, N.Y.; 3D blu-rays look stunning; Favorite food: Pizza

Preowned BDs can be a budget-blessing. I have many what I have obtained from this forum either buying them at a great discount or trading. So far, I have not had any bad experiences. It seems to me that most of the "regulars" who hang out on this forum take great care of their discs, cases and slipcovers.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

A much better version of The Thing was released in the UK as a region-free Blu-ray.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
☣☣☣☣☣
Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
They have used vs. new thread somewhere on here already. With that said I have purchased a ton of blu used and I have yet to have one complaint. Where some guys on here tend to be ocd geared towards having their collection in pristine condition, my ocd sways towards I can't spend over a certain amount on different movies. To you it's only 2-3 bucks to me I can't do it

Btw OP great buy. I personally am waiting for this to hit 9.99 before I pick it up. I am in no hurry to get it so I can wait. Easily one of my top 5 favorite movies.
Yeah, my OCD and ADD only allow me to purchase brand new

I only have 36 titles, so I don't mind paying the $$$ for mint copies!!
- - - Breaking Bad - - -
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America