Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (PS3)
$10.58
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS3)
$13.43
Final Fantasy IX (PS3)
$13.99
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$7.99
Monster High New Ghoul In School (PS3)
$32.69
Rio (PS3)
$18.08
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!! (PS3)
$16.08
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (PS3)
$46.58
Mortal Kombat (PS3)
$17.49
Far Cry 3 (PS3)
$17.54
Aegis Of Earth: Protonovus Assault (PS3)
$18.98
ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection, The (PS3)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 03-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2008
Default NIER: Who's looking forward to this?

I remember seeing a trailer for this early last year and was really amped about it.

http://www.niergame.com/

TRAILERS

Official E3 Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCbzHktwTaQ

Official Story Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQfUCfEtdCk
Playstation Platinums:

Burnout Paradise // Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs // Infamous 2 // Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2010 // Prototype 2 (ps3) // Infamous: Second Son // The Walking Dead (Ps3/Ps4)
Old 03-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
Hot Deals moderator

Mar 2007
Ashland, WI Steelbooks: 100+

he looks like a wannabe Kratos, but I will withhold judgment until I can get a demo or some reviews.
"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."
Home Theater 7.1 Setup:
Samsung PN64D7000 64" Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Launch PS4, 1TB PS3 Slim
Polk Tsi 300 Fronts
Polk CS20 Center
Polk Tsi 100 Rears
Polk T15 Surround Rears
Polk PSW111 Subwoofer
PSN: x_God_of_Kaos_x
Old 03-23-2010, 03:14 AM   #3
Power Member

Aug 2007
Livermore, CA

I'ma import this one. I'd rather play as the Japanese version of the main character.
Ohhh everybody wants my Nummy Yum Yums~
Old 03-23-2010, 05:37 AM   #4
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordre69 View Post
I'ma import this one. I'd rather play as the Japanese version of the main character.
Oh I agree the one America gets looks kind of weird and the main character that's Japan only is far more interesting with a more suitable to the kind of game I rather play. This one America gets looks too Western for me.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
Expert Member

May 2007

I'm interested.

PSN = foots
Old 03-23-2010, 06:18 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS234 View Post
he looks like a wannabe Kratos, but I will withhold judgment until I can get a demo or some reviews.
They might have taken the early concept art for kratos from Santo Monica. I swear I saw concept art similar to it.
Projectors: JVC DLA-X3, Infocus X10 1080p DLP projector
TV:Samsung Plasma PN60F5300 (60 inch, 1080p)
AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1124
HTPC/gaming rig
Steam: rctyke (trogdor2010)
Old 04-14-2010, 03:35 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Chicago, IL

After watching the preview on X-play today..Not buying this... looks terrible.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Special Member

Apr 2008
Orcutt, Cali

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/review...views-nier.ars

I don't know if anyone was looking forward to this game, but if you were I would stop right about now.
Sony KDL-52XBR4
Playstation 3 60GB- Its ALIVE!!!!!
Playstation 3 Slim 320GB
Xbox 360 Elite
111 Blu-rays
XBL Gamertag:Hedchekr
PSN ID:Hedchekr
Old 04-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Let's not talk about hearsay when the game is available.

I actually bought Nier on release day, finally got around to playing it last night.

Here are my impressions after 3 hours of play:

Story
Nier is a strange twist on the whole save-the-world concept, especially for a Japanese game. The protagonist is, for lack of a better word, downright ugly (to the point where they had to release a variant of the game, called Nier Replicant, in Japan, because their focus group testing found that Japanese gamers were uncomfortable with a non-bishounen playable hero).

The most unusual aspect of the story is that your battle companion is a sentient book of magic, through which you can cast spells and access a variety of power upgrades. There are frequent conversations between the main protagonist and the book, and those dialogue entries are VERY well-written and performed.

It's a fairly engaging tale as long as you recognize the limitations.

Audio
I really like the audio design in this game. Music flows naturally from one song in one area to another - the tracks are blended, and it seems songs on adjacent zones always share some component which carries across. It's a small touch, but brilliant nonetheless.

The voice acting is unusually good. The script dialogue could use a tiny bit of work when you're talking with townsfolk, but it's not bad by any stretch of the imagination. And it's more than made up for by the witty repartee exchanged between the Grimoire Weiss (magic book) and the hero.

Graphics / Presentation
Here's where the game falls down a bit. It's simply not a very pretty game. The art style is a bit bare and simplistic, making a lot of the environments feel almost sterile (as opposed to the extremely lush environments of, say, Final Fantasy 13).

The graphics are easily my least favorite element of the game. I neither like the art style nor the execution.

Gameplay
I'm not quite sure what to make of Nier's gameplay, but it's definitely interesting. The mechanics themselves are 3rd person action, feeling similar to a slightly slowed down Kingdom Hearts. The game allows you to customize what buttons do, and there is a complex system of upgrades to your various skills, weapons, and magic.

Targeting enemies is probably the only place I can really fault the game. It's a little too hard sometimes to get a bead on enemies, even when they aren't moving fast. The target reticle has just a tiny bit of "stickiness" in the form of minor aim assist, but it still feels a bit inadequate considering how quickly some enemies can move around on the battlefield.

Boss battles (from what I've seen) are the highlight of the game. They sometimes feel like you're playing a 3D bullet hell shooter as you have to either madly dodge or counter huge amounts of enemy projectiles and then counter-attack. Other times, it feels more like Devil May Cry where you have enemies that are fast and will swarm all over you. Sometimes you get the best of both worlds, with the later phases of some boss fights including a swarm of enemies while you're trying to deal with a nasty boss.

Other than that, the standard JRPG fare of quests and hunting apply. Somewhere between Monster Hunter and Legend of Zelda, and downgraded maybe a notch or two in quality.

Overall
I like this game. It has its flaws, but there's some real quality craftsmanship hiding underneath the unattractive exterior.
PS3: 100+ games, 100+ movies. Pure HD bliss!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

So here's a question: Does it play more like Devil May Cry or Drakengard/Dynasty Warriors? I love one of those gameplay styles and hate the other.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2008

I was hyped for this based on the 1st couple trailers I saw which played like a hack/slash type of game such as God of War/Dante's Inferno/Bayonetta, etc.

Then I just saw the launch trailer which came off like an RPG which I detest, and that caused me to pause...

Now I see the reviews, and I'm not getting this.

I remember seeing some articles about how bad this was looking, but I just didn't wanna believe it.

Last game that I was super hyped for and the reviews were all shitty was "Fuel" which I still haven't played.
Playstation Platinums:

Burnout Paradise // Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs // Infamous 2 // Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2010 // Prototype 2 (ps3) // Infamous: Second Son // The Walking Dead (Ps3/Ps4)
Old 05-01-2010, 01:54 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemage View Post

Good review, I couldn't agree more. I got about 3 hours into the game last night and the only thing I can complain about so far is the graphics. But I can deal with PS2 graphics as long as the story keeps me interested.
PSN: ratandjmt
Old 05-01-2010, 01:58 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimus Prime View Post
So here's a question: Does it play more like Devil May Cry or Drakengard/Dynasty Warriors? I love one of those gameplay styles and hate the other.
It's not twitchy like Devil May Cry. It's not brain-dead stupid like Dynasty Warriors.

More like a slower, more tactical, and somewhat imprecise God of War.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemage View Post
It's not twitchy like Devil May Cry. It's not bread-dead stupid like Dynasty Warriors.

More like a slower, more tactical, and somewhat imprecise God of War.
I guess I should be more specific: what's the combo system like? Can I rack up massive combos by just mashing a single button? Do enemies fight back at all, or am I just taking on a billion drones at once?

Thanks for your input in advance.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:03 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

this actually the 1st I heard of this game, and the box art looks interesting.
If it plays like Devil May Cry and/or Kingdom Hearts then I'm thinking I might like this
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 05-01-2010, 04:32 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimus Prime View Post
I guess I should be more specific: what's the combo system like? Can I rack up massive combos by just mashing a single button? Do enemies fight back at all, or am I just taking on a billion drones at once?
Early enemies are fairly passive to get you used to the timing. As you progress, they become increasingly faster and more aggressive and their repertoire of offensive and defensive moves becomes more potent. Button mashing does NOT work, as you have limited amounts of Magic, which only replenishes at a certain rate. Mashing on physical attacks is asking to die once you get past the first hour or so.

Also, most enemies, even mundane ones, have particular approaches that work well/better against them. Some put up barriers, or block your normal attacks. Others spew projectiles or charge.

The first hour or so of the game feels like Dynasty Warriors, but the difficulty starts to ratchet up fairly quickly after that once you obtain the Grimoire Weiss talking spellbook.

Last edited by Icemage; 05-01-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:19 AM   #17
Expert Member

Jan 2007
Michigan

I think this review sums it up - http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/03/nier-review-fail/
Old 05-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanX View Post

I agree with him. Fishing sucks in this game.
PSN: ratandjmt
Old 05-04-2010, 02:52 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Idiot editor is an idiot. He's fishing on the wrong beach. Granted, it's NOT particularly spelled out well in the game hints provided by the game for the mission, but the beach next to the old man who gives you the task to catch that first fish (where said editor is currently standing) is NOT the place you want to be fishing for the shaman fish.

It's (for whatever reason) in another location nearby (marked with a big fat red X on the map).
Old 05-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Chicago, IL
Thumbs down

5.0 from Gamespot... not too good apparently

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/nier/index.html
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3