Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Last Supper (Blu-ray)
$13.29
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries

Old 04-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #1001
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers13 View Post
No I haven't. Trying to get an idea of what type of material to use. I need it to block the light without reflecting it. Almost absorb it.

Good suggestion, Fors! Anybody have an idea where to find some material? I looked in Michaels, which I thought would be a gold mine. I'm checking Walmart's craft section later today.
I would have thought so as well
Equipment......Tube tv and Bose speakers.....gotta love it
Old 04-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #1002
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
I would have thought so as well
Nope. Wasted trip.

Well, I guess not entirely wasted. There is a Best Buy next door to it, so I was able to soothe my sorrows by buying a couple of blus.
Display: 52" Sony KDL-52W4100
Blu-ray | Gaming: Oppo BDP-83 | "Fat" PS3 | Xbox360 Pro
Mains: Elemental Designs A6-6T6
Center: CUSTOM eD A6-6T6-MTM
Side and Rear Surrounds: Sony SS-B1000
Subs: DUAL eD A2-300's
Receiver | Amps: Pioneer Elite SC-25 | Emotiva XPA-2 + XPA-5
Join me in my HT thread HERE
Old 04-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #1003
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Arkansas

Hey progers,

I purchased my black velvet from mcmasters carr (it is what Brain Sturgeon used).

http://www.mcmaster.com/#velvet-cloth/=6mmv25

what are you going to use it for?
Projector|Screen|: JVC RS40 3D, SeymourAV 126" 2.37 Acoustically Transparent screen, ISCO II Anamorphic lens
Processor|Amps:Marantz AV7005, Parsound Halo A21 (2), Parasound Halo A23 (2), SVS AS-EQ1
Sources:PS3 Slim, Oppo BDP-103D, Dish 722Vip, Appletv
Speakers|Subs:Paradigm Studio 100, CC-690, ADP 470, Servo 15, Seaton Sound Submersive
Power|Cables:PS Audio Duet, Monster HTS-5100, Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Cabling
Old 04-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #1004
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Nov 2008
On the sofa

Paul,

Read in Fors* thread about you falling asleep during Sherlock Holmes. Nice cover trying to blame the booze. But it may be a fairly serious disease, which has no cure. I posted a comment on this serious and eventually life threatening disease a while back. Not sure if you are aware of it.

Symptoms include but not limited to forgetfulness, hair turning grey or falling out, groaning when you get off the sofa or from any seat after sitting for a long time, waking in the middle of the night to pee, and farting while you pee, more interest in watching a new movie than going out on the town. You may have guessed it, it is A.G.E. No cure, but getting a tattoo or buying a convertible can help mask symptoms for a brief time.

I fell asleep too, missed the whole action sequence at the end, will be 35 next month not old in my book, but A.G.E. has snuck up on me. Is getting a mistress, which I have heard helps, after 3 years of marriage to soon?
Unwatched Blu-rays: 41 Movies 5 TV Series
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
Old 04-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #1005
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post
Hey progers,

I purchased my black velvet from mcmasters carr (it is what Brain Sturgeon used).

http://www.mcmaster.com/#velvet-cloth/=6mmv25

what are you going to use it for?
Thank you! I'm looking to create some DIY masking panels for my screen. Not sure how well it'll work, but I'm open to trying different options. The black level on this projector is good for it's price range, and looks very good on the image itself, but the black bars are impacting the illusion of perceived blacks. I have a black curtain behind the screen, plus the border of the screen itself, so the difference is noticeable and is keeping me from getting totally immersed in the movie.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #1006
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Paul,

Read in Fors* thread about you falling asleep during Sherlock Holmes. Nice cover trying to blame the booze. But it may be a fairly serious disease, which has no cure. I posted a comment on this serious and eventually life threatening disease a while back. Not sure if you are aware of it.

Symptoms include but not limited to forgetfulness, hair turning grey or falling out, groaning when you get off the sofa or from any seat after sitting for a long time, waking in the middle of the night to pee, and farting while you pee, more interest in watching a new movie than going out on the town. You may have guessed it, it is A.G.E. No cure, but getting a tattoo or buying a convertible can help mask symptoms for a brief time.

I fell asleep too, missed the whole action sequence at the end, will be 35 next month not old in my book, but A.G.E. has snuck up on me. Is getting a mistress, which I have heard helps, after 3 years of marriage to soon?
Hi Travis! Actually I think that was phansson that fell asleep during Sherlock Holmes. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I'd like to.

I'm not too far behind you with the A.G.E. thing - I'll be 34 this summer. Where does the time go? At least in my case I'm not married...I can have the mistress to the mistress! j/k ...never know if my GF reads these posts or not...

What type of LA-Z boy are you looking at? Later this summer (after I finish the projector and receiver upgrades) I want to get theater seating. Probably do 2 seats and use my existing couch for the 2nd row.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #1007
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Nov 2008
On the sofa

Quote:
Hi Travis! Actually I think that was phansson that fell asleep during Sherlock Holmes. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I'd like to.

I'm not too far behind you with the A.G.E. thing - I'll be 34 this summer. Where does the time go? At least in my case I'm not married...I can have the mistress to the mistress! j/k ...never know if my GF reads these posts or not...

What type of LA-Z boy are you looking at? Later this summer (after I finish the projector and receiver upgrades) I want to get theater seating. Probably do 2 seats and use my existing couch for the 2nd row.
You are right sorry. He is Paul too, right?? I get confused. AGE.

Single recliner, not a sofa. Still on the fence about leather or fabric.
Unwatched Blu-rays: 41 Movies 5 TV Series
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #1008
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
You are right sorry. He is Paul too, right?? I get confused. AGE.

Single recliner, not a sofa. Still on the fence about leather or fabric.
Patrick, I think is his name. It's ok though, he (like me) has probably been called a lot worse.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #1009
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Arkansas

Quote:
Thank you! I'm looking to create some DIY masking panels for my screen. Not sure how well it'll work, but I'm open to trying different options. The black level on this projector is good for it's price range, and looks very good on the image itself, but the black bars are impacting the illusion of perceived blacks. I have a black curtain behind the screen, plus the border of the screen itself, so the difference is noticeable and is keeping me from getting totally immersed in the movie.
I am in the same boat. I noticed it a lot while watching "the pacific" and "sherlock holmes" last night. I have been considering building some masking panels for my setup. I have the material left over from my theater build (the velvet from the above link is very good at absorbing light). I just need to find out a plan and to with it.

I have considered drilling holes in my case and using hooks to attach a piece of plexiglas covered with the self adheisive black velvet. That would work out pretty well!
Projector|Screen|: JVC RS40 3D, SeymourAV 126" 2.37 Acoustically Transparent screen, ISCO II Anamorphic lens
Processor|Amps:Marantz AV7005, Parsound Halo A21 (2), Parasound Halo A23 (2), SVS AS-EQ1
Speakers|Subs:Paradigm Studio 100, CC-690, ADP 470, Servo 15, Seaton Sound Submersive
Power|Cables:PS Audio Duet, Monster HTS-5100, Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Cabling
Old 04-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #1010

Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(

Quote:
I am in the same boat. I noticed it a lot while watching "the pacific" and "sherlock holmes" last night. I have been considering building some masking panels for my setup. I have the material left over from my theater build (the velvet from the above link is very good at absorbing light). I just need to find out a plan and to with it.

I have considered drilling holes in my case and using hooks to attach a piece of plexiglas covered with the self adheisive black velvet. That would work out pretty well!
I'm not a big fan of the black bars, but I don't find them distracting either. What does distract me is a small bit of reflection from the bottom of the screen case. I have 2 valances, one in front of the acoustic panels I have attached to the ceiling in front of the screen case, and another valance in front of the screen case itself. However, when sitting down, I still can see what looks like the image overunning the top of the screen, when in fact it is the reflection of the image being thrown by the projector. I am still trying to figure out how to get rid of this.
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60
Old 04-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #1011
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Quote:

Yes, that sounds like a very good plan. Yours would be masking panels for the 16x9 material, right?

I'm not looking to break the bank, plus I need it to be relatively lightweight. Fors suggested I take a flashlight up to a craft place to see if I can find some suitable fabric. I'm going to run out at lunch time today to Walmart and see what I can find. If I don't like what they've got, I'll swing by Jo-Ann fabrics tonight. I don't particularly care how it looks, so long as it does what it's intended to do. In the dark it'll blend into the backdrop anyway.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #1012
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fors* View Post
I'm not a big fan of the black bars, but I don't find them distracting either. What does distract me is a small bit of reflection from the bottom of the screen case. I have 2 valances, one in front of the acoustic panels I have attached to the ceiling in front of the screen case, and another valance in front of the screen case itself. However, when sitting down, I still can see what looks like the image overunning the top of the screen, when in fact it is the reflection of the image being thrown by the projector. I am still trying to figure out how to get rid of this.
The black bars are starting to bother me more and more.

As for the screen. I painted my white screen case satin black and it took care of about 90% of the issue. I had originally planned on covering it with black velvet, but after viewing the results, I just didn't think it needed it.

Black velvet fixes everything.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #1013
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Arkansas

Quote:
Yes, that sounds like a very good plan. Yours would be masking panels for the 16x9 material, right?

I'm not looking to break the bank, plus I need it to be relatively lightweight. Fors suggested I take a flashlight up to a craft place to see if I can find some suitable fabric. I'm going to run out at lunch time today to Walmart and see what I can find. If I don't like what they've got, I'll swing by Jo-Ann fabrics tonight. I don't particularly care how it looks, so long as it does what it's intended to do. In the dark it'll blend into the backdrop anyway.
You will not be happy unless you find black velvet and let me tell you, it was hard to find! I could find "crushed" velvet all over the place, but plain black was almost impossible to find. If you strike out, that link I sent you is very good.

Now you have me thinking, I guess masking panels will be my next "mod".
Old 04-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #1014

Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(

Quote:

As for the screen. I painted my white screen case satin black and it took care of about 90% of the issue. I had originally planned on covering it with black velvet, but after viewing the results, I just didn't think it needed it.

I may look into satin black paint. But you still notice it a little? I have thought about masking for the top and bottom of the screen to rid myself of the bars, but I guess it just doesn't bother me enough to do something about it yet. Hec, I may find it easier to just get a 2.35:1 screen and use the 2 screen method that vega uses.
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60
Old 04-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #1015
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Quote:

So it seems! Fors asked me about the case. I ordered mine in black, and it really doesn't bother me despite some minor reflections from it being more glossy. I'm adding the valance as more of a "finishing" touch rather than for light reasons.

The black bars are already a distraction to me. I didn't think they would be, but considering how everything else blends into the sea of black (speakers, subs, TV stand, etc), those "dark gray" bars on top and bottom keep catching my eyes. I know the definition of black is the absence of light; therefore in the world of projectors (which project light) you're never going to achieve true blacks. Nonetheless, if I can enhance the perceived blacks by limiting the black bars, I think it will help to go a long way.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #1016
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Ok, I just got back from Walmart. Taking Fors' idea, I bought the matching valance to go with the curtains that I have on the wall behind the screen. I will attach these tonight to the wood frame supporting the screen. I expect that piece to come together nicely with no issues. :knockonwood:

I could not find any black velvet for the masking panels. However, I found a roll of thick black felt that did a decent job under direct scrutiny from the flashlight. I don't know if it will work or how well it will work, but for $4 I'm willing to try it. No significant sweat off my back if it doesn't work well. For the price, there's tremendous upside. I'll update tonight.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #1017
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
Northeastern North Carolina

Hi Paul,hope you are doing well.
Just wanted to say Thanks for the post.

I hope you are really enjoying the projector set-up.
Now time for an HD AVR(If you haven't already while I was away).
-Todd-
VIDEO:LG 55 inch LED 3D TV(4600)/LG BP-620 3D BluRay Player
AUDIO:AVR:Emotiva Fusion 8100/AMP:Emotiva Mini-X(A-100)
SPEAKERS:Front-(Synergy)Klipsch F-20/Center-Klipsch C-20/S.Surround-Klipsch S-10/R.Surround-Klipsch B-15/Sub-Klipsch KW-100
CABLES:Monster/Emotiva/Dayton/Monoprice
POWER: Furman 8x2 Power Conditioner/Panamax Max 6
Old 04-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #1018
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

Quote:
Ok, I just got back from Walmart. Taking Fors' idea, I bought the matching valance to go with the curtains that I have on the wall behind the screen. I will attach these tonight to the wood frame supporting the screen. I expect that piece to come together nicely with no issues. :knockonwood:

I could not find any black velvet for the masking panels. However, I found a roll of thick black felt that did a decent job under direct scrutiny from the flashlight. I don't know if it will work or how well it will work, but for $4 I'm willing to try it. No significant sweat off my back if it doesn't work well. For the price, there's tremendous upside. I'll update tonight.

Can't you just adjust the Lumax module
Equipment......Tube tv and Bose speakers.....gotta love it
Old 04-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #1019
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by talstarone View Post
Hi Paul,hope you are doing well.
Just wanted to say Thanks for the post.

I hope you are really enjoying the projector set-up.
Now time for an HD AVR(If you haven't already while I was away).
Hi Todd, and welcome back! It wasn't the same around here the last few days without you. Hope you are feeling better. And congrats again on eclipsing 1-year on the site. I've got about 4 more months to go until my 1-year.

I have not purchased the new Pio Elite SC-25 receiver yet. I really want to finish this projector setup first. About a week ago I was really feeling overwhelmed with the amount of things on my plate right now (work, school, family, GF, and HT). I felt taking on another project, even one as gratifying as the Pio Elite, was a bit much. So I want to finish these mini-projects with the projector (adding a valance to the frame around the screen case, and making DIY masking panels for 2.35:1 content, and ceiling mounting the projector) before I take on anything else. So it may be another week or two until that time. I do plan on getting the receiver, but I think it's better to take it in more manageable phases.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #1020
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Can't you just adjust the Lumax module
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Funny guy! Laugh it up! I'm plotting my revenge, just so you know......
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries