Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
9 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
58 min ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98
9 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8 hrs ago
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$7.99
2 hrs ago
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (Blu-ray)
$4.99
3 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Expert Member

Jan 2008
Default Do You Trust User Reviews on this Site?

I am influenced by the Blu Reviewers opinion on most of the movies I think about purchasing. Good or bad it gives me an idea. I really like it. The site has really grown over the past few years and I would also trust the User reviews in the beginning, but lately it seems that there are too many members who are going star crazy and they seem to have just joined the day the release came out. Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist but could be someone that works for the company to try to pump up its release for more people like myself to buy?
Theater Epson 8350 1080p Projector l Denon X2000 7.1 Receiver l PS3 Slim 120gb l Polk CS1 l Polk R50 Monitors l Polk PSW450 Polk PSW110
Polk Monitor 30 Side Surrounds and Rear Surrounds l 106" Elite Screens VMAX Motorized Screen l Harmony 900 Remote l DirecTv H23 HD DVR l Monster Power Conditioner HDP2500APC C5 Power Filter
Living Room: Klipsch Quintet III Klipsch R10-SW Samsung FP-T5094W 50" 1080p Plasma l PS3 60gb (Release Day)
l DirecTV HR21 l Onkyo 605 7.1 Receiver
Old 04-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

I’m beginning not to trust any review, to be honest.

It’s like a popular movie always gets a good review and a not-so-popular movie gets a bad review.

Like a popular movie that everyone goes gaga about, every review out there gives it such a high rating in content, PQ and AQ. Then I watch it…yeah the movie is great, but the PQ/AQ was overrated. It’s good, but I’ve seen better.

Then a not-so-popular movie comes out. Every review gives it a low rating on content, and mediocre PQ and AQ ratings. I watch it….the movie isn’t as bad as they say, IMHO. And the PQ/AQ was pretty good and not as bad as the review says it is.

I tend to find reviews very biased, IMHO. If it’s a movie the reviewer likes, everything gets a high rating. If it’s a movie the reviewer hates or doesn’t like so much, everything gets a low rating.

My best advice would be to rent and watch these movies yourself because our opinion will not always match the opinions of the reviewer.
TV: Samsung UN32EH5000
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S360
DVD Player & Recorder: Sony DVP-NS77H & Toshiba DR430
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Front: Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1 Series II
Surrounds: Dayton Audio B652
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics CSSUB10B
Old 04-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Power Member

Mar 2010

As long as a reviewer explains how he came to a conclusion on subject it is helpful. In some cases people just post their opinions. "this movie is great" "Best movie ever" etc really doesn't help anyone who is considering a purchase.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #4

Jan 2009
North Carolina

to be honest i dont reallly trust the movie reviews seeing as there a little less critical then most review sites but as far as pq and aq ratings go i would never doubt bluray.com
Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

I take the reviews into consideration. But, if I went by every review for each title, some of the movies I have, I wouldn't own. Like Gojira to name one for example.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #6

Mar 2010
England

Never put much stock in anybodys reviews of films/TV/Music/Books to be honest, if I like the look or sound of something I will take a punt on it.

As for PQ/AQ, I am pretty new to Blu-Ray so I do appreciate the experience of the experts here in that catagory.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Banned

Aug 2009
FL

If you mean official reviews, I agree with Jack O. I put little if any weight on critical analysis of film here (with no disrespect to the reviewers). I have a firm grasp of where my taste lies and what interests me content-wise; I consult the reviews here primarily for the a/v ratings, which more often than not I find to be spot on. Especially that Pro-B fella--not to name favorites or anything. (Though I have to say his critical assessment of films also tends to line up with my own)
Old 04-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
If you mean official reviews, I agree with Jack O. I put little if any weight on critical analysis of film here (with no disrespect to the reviewers). I have a firm grasp of where my taste lies and what interests me content-wise; I consult the reviews here primarily for the a/v ratings, which more often than not I find to be spot on. Especially that Pro-B fella--not to name favorites or anything. (Though I have to say his critical assessment of films also tends to line up with my own)
Yeah only PQ & AQ ratings matter to me because i know what type of movies i like.
Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures
Old 04-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Woodridge, IL

I agree that sometimes a reviewer's feelings towards the film itself can get in the way of the picture/sound quality of the review. One should have nothing to do with the other. By all means, they can include a review of the film as well, but that shouldn't take anything or add anything to the review of the blu ray disc's merit. Overall, I just think one should be objective.

No matter how good you WANT a blu ray release to be, one shouldn't mark it up on video/audio marks just because it's their favorite film.

For example, I wouldn't lower the overall rating on Sherlock Holmes just because I wasn't crazy about the film.

Overall, I also take reviewers into consideration but 9 times out of ten I will rent before buying or I have seen it in the theatre and know whether or not I will buy
Fun Fact: I am the same height ( 5'1'') as Carrie Fisher, Jean Harlow, Holly Hunter, Christina Ricci, Emilie De Ravin, Anna Kendrick, Kristen Bell...yes great things do come in small packages :)

TV: Panasonic ST60 60"
Receiver: Sony STRDH830
Speakers: Klipsch HDT1000
Old 04-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2010
Illinois

I'm basically just repeating everyone else, but I have to agree. Reviews are good for letting you know about the Picture and Audio Quality of a disc, and maybe the extras, but as for the film itself you have to judge for yourself. Everyone has different tastes, and the only true measure of a film's quality is your own personal enjoyment.

I know of many films I love which other people think are horrible, and there are films out there that are universally loved that I personally think are complete garbage.
The Official Movie Money/Movie Cash/Free Ticket Thread - first post always updated with all current promotions!

Don't use your UV/digital copy codes? Send them my way! I'll give them a good home!
:)
Old 04-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #11

Jul 2008

While people may read reviews. I find most people put little value in them when it comes to buying a book, seeing a movie or buying a Blu-day. People are taking more responsibility upon themselves these days when it comes to spending money. In the old days more people followed a long like sheep to see a movie if it was the "in" thing to do. It made little sense then, and even less now with all the available information out there.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2007
Tonawanda, NY
Default Peer Review

Somewhat... I do tend to notice whom gives nothing but glowing reviews, Whom to rely on for accurate and in-depth movie analysis, and If so-and-so doesn't like a film - chances are I will! I'd say that some are just so excited that the view is slightly biased, and therefore the review is right up a fan's alley. Others find a certain film 'isn't to their liking', to which they make a point of saying so without denigrating the film.

I'd say that once you get a feel for how a particular reviewers' tastes match up with yours, or at least get a feel for their style, you can make adjustments to your blind buys based on a review here.

If someone (ANYONE, actually) gushes about one thing or another - I do pay attention, but take it with a grain of salt (hmmm, maybe 'grain' was a poor choice of word ). But if a particular negative comes up (like a poor, dirty transfer, flat sound complaints, no extras, etc.) I tend to trust it - for instance, the negative reviews of Gladiator prompted me not to purchase it...

As for User reviews... I take SEVERAL grains of salt. And I'm sure people do the same when I've written a review

Cheers,

Doc
“Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.”
― Christopher Hitchens

PSN ID EyeDocSteve. Sportin' a 52" Sony Bravia XBR4, Launch PS4, Onkyo 805 A/V Receiver, Polk Monitor 50's (Fronts and Surrounds), CS1 Center, eD A2-300 Subwoofer.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2007

I like reading reviews but since I tend to like a lot of movies that people dismiss or outright dislike, I don't usually use them to determine what I'll watch or buy. Having said that, over time I've noticed a few people here that have similar tastes as mine so sometimes I might be influenced a little by what they say/write.

As for the site reviews here and elsewhere, the same sort of thing applies. You kind of learn their tastes in movies and know how to judge the reviews accordingly.

In general though, like I mentioned already, I don't usually use them to determine what I want to watch/buy. I really enjoy reading them but if every review I've read is down on a movie that I'm interested in, I'm probably still going to buy it or watch it. In the end, I feel like I'm the only one qualified to judge what I like and I won't know for sure unless I watch it.

I do use reviews to avoid certain types of movies though. Like if a movie is very biased against things I believe in and the review mentions what type of movie it is (in that sense), I'll avoid it.
PSN: OWA
XBL: OWAXB1
Old 04-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Seattle Area

It's like anything else - you listen to other opinions and take them with a grain of salt, but in the end you have to judge for yourself. How does it look to YOU?
Old 04-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #15

Jul 2009

user reviews? No
blu-ray.com official reviews? No

I buy/blindbuy what looks good/interesting to me. But I do like to see the aq/pq rating just to know what to expect.
Originally Posted by neckedness
you cannot upgrade your TV, you have to buy a whole new one.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #16

Dec 2007

It is not a matter of trust. I just don't care what they (users or reviewers) think.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #17

Jan 2009

I dont trust Bluray.com reviews anymore. When you give movies like 2012 and Minority Report a 4.5 rating for Movie then you lose my trust.
Most wanted BD....Legend Ultimate Cut, John Carpenters "The Fog", Halloween 2-3, The Goonies, Transformers-The Movie (Animated 80s), Prophecy(79)
Alien Quadrilogy, Back To The Future Trilogy, Star Wars IV-VI
Old 04-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Most user reviews display a self-selection bias, where the person either loved or hated the movie, and hence have strong feelings about a particular film. That is the one advantage that "professional" reviews tend to have over the user reviews. But often the user reviews include key information that only devoted fans might know, which can be quite useful.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #19

Apr 2010
Dallas, TX

I trust these reviews to a certain degree and believe they are of good credibility but whoever reviewed Drop Zone missed the mark...BIG TIME!

I love that film and though it may not hold its own compared to alot of action pictures nonetheless it is still top notch IMO.
LG 42LH40 LCD 1080P 120 hz HDTV
PS3 80 GB
Home Theatre in progress...

"Thanks for lunch...let's go" Gary Busey - DropZone
Old 04-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #20
Banned

Nov 2008
-

I trust no reviews, some people have crappy tvs, so it makes the movies pq look bad so they give it a bad rating, and if people hate grain then movie gets the worst review ever...my advice just go out and rent it first if your questioning a title
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America