Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Art of the Steal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
Special Member

Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl
Default Are you happy with the amount of catalog titles announced so far for 2010?

I think the studios have released a decent amount of catalog titles so far in 2010 but it seems to be a slow stream instead of a big wave. There a good amount of catalog titles I will buy in the coming months but I keep waiting for the moment that multiple studios begin announcing a pretty long list of catalog titles instead of one announcement here and another announcement there. It would be great to compare Blu-ray catalog releases by each studio for every year up to April to see the progress they have made. I'm guessing Warner will take the lead but I also would like to see the progress of Fox, Universal, Paramount etc.

So are you happy with all the catalog titles announced so far in 2010 or did you expect more up to this point?

Edit: A little over two months have passed since I made this thread so I'm bumping it to see if anyones opinions have changed with the new catalog titles announced since this thread was made. Also, does anyone know where to get the number of the catalog titles released by each studio in 2008 and 2009 up to this point to compare them to all the catalog titles released in 2010? To see how much of an increase have catalog movies had on Blu-ray in 2010.

Last edited by Bishop_99; 06-22-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Over The State Line

Totally happy with the schedule release of catalogs and new release...

Back in the day of the war, you would be lucky if you get one release a week.
MOE
Old 04-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefiz View Post
Totally happy with the schedule release of catalogs and new release...

Back in the day of the war, you would be lucky if you get one release a week.
I remember that. After the Paramount buy out by Tosh, the week of Blades of Glory Blu-ray had nothing to offer. Releases were very scarce in the middle of 2007.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

It's been decent at best...but I can't blame the studios, there's simply not enough demand...what's Blu-ray's market share, like 10-15% ? And that's going up against DVD, of which most people already own every movie they could possibly want on that format. Even then, Blu's still not close. And prepping a Blu is not nearly as cheap as it is to do a dvd, so it's even more reason for the studios to be cautious...Unless there's a massive adoption of the format anytime soon, I'd count on the steady 'drip' in regards to catalogue titles...
Old 04-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2008
The Island

Just give me Lawrence of Arabia already and i'll be happy.

No i won't.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
Power Member

Mar 2010
Atlanta - SteelBooks™: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdo View Post
It's been decent at best...but I can't blame the studios, there's simply not enough demand...what's Blu-ray's market share, like 10-15% ? And that's going up against DVD, of which most people already own every movie they could possibly want on that format. Even then, Blu's still not close. And prepping a Blu is not nearly as cheap as it is to do a dvd, so it's even more reason for the studios to be cautious...Unless there's a massive adoption of the format anytime soon, I'd count on the steady 'drip' in regards to catalogue titles...
+1 In a few more years when the price of the large plasma and lcd go down, I think more people will hop on the Blu-ray bandwagon.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:53 AM   #7

Jan 2009
North Carolina

i dont think its possible to be happy, seeing as there's thousands of movies that deserve blu ray releases but there are not enough resources to make even a hundred of those available anually, so to answer your question...im understanding of blu rays predictament and i respect this years efforts.

Rant over
Old 04-09-2010, 01:59 AM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2010
Rockford, IL

I'd be happy if there were only 3 of this year's catalog titles released all year, as long as those three were Moulin Rouge, Goonies, and THE LAST BOYSCOUT!!!! (...though I wish it weren't on a crappy "double feature")

That being said, I've been happy to see many others I like released/announced so far, such as:

Aliens Quadrilogy
Thomas Crown Affair
Bad Boys
Back to the Future
Romeo + Juliet

(yes, those last two and even Moulin Rouge have no official release date, but have all been hinted at for release this year)
The Official Movie Money/Movie Cash/Free Ticket Thread - first post always updated with all current promotions!
My Letterboxd Page - Make yours and follow mine!

Last edited by cinemaphile; 04-09-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:10 AM   #9
Special Member

Jul 2008
Shamokin Dam, Pa
Send a message via Yahoo to neos_peace

I'm pretty happy with the amount. I still have abiout 5-7 titles I want o see make it to Blu. But I don't see it happening just becuase I don't think there's enough demand for the ones i want. That I had on DVD. (that kinda sounds weird to say...."DVD......DVD......" Yea thats sounds wierd to me for some reason.)
Once you go PS3 Slim, you never go back.
"Why so SERIOUS!?!?!?!?"
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805
TV: Hitachi 50" FULL HD plazma
Subs: AA HD-Sub15 X2
Center: Sony SS-CN5000P
Fronts & Rear's: Sony SSF5000
Old 04-09-2010, 02:12 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-

The quantity isn't too bad; the quality is another story.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:27 AM   #11

Mar 2008
Charlotte, North Carolina

Not enough Disney!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #12

Dec 2008
Ohio, USA

Just release Star Wars already. I can go another 5 years without another catalogue release as long as I get the Original Trilogy on Blu. Other than that, 2010 will be a great year for catalogue releases.

Also, Jurassic Park would be nice too :]
Old 04-09-2010, 02:31 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

I'm not "happy" with it -- I'd prefer much more. But I also understand the reality of the situation and accept that it's going to be a slow process.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:34 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
New York

With Saving Private Ryan and the Alien Anthology coming, I am satisfied already.
Better Blu than Red.
73 Blus in my collection
Last Watched: The Pacific - Parts 2,3,4 and 5 and The Social Network
Last Bought/Received: The Social Network
Last Ordered: The Social Network
Player: Sony PS3 40GB
Home Theater: Sony HT-DDWG700
Old 04-09-2010, 02:36 AM   #15

Mar 2010
Pittsburgh pa

I'm happy with the amount of titles on blu. But then I think why pixar hasn't released finding nemo yet (rumored for a November release) and I get mad. Mark my words this will pobably be the best looking blu Ray when released.
Tv: Samsung 46 inch LN46B550K1F ToC HDTV 550 series...
Accessories: Ikea multicolor dioder lighting strips, Logitech PS3 wireless keyboard, PS3 eye, LED PS3 Stand, Sony PS3 remote...
Gaming Systems: PS3 80gb, and Nintendo Wii...
Blu-Rays: 206 (Collecting since September 2009)...
Surround System: Onkyo HT-S3300 5.1-Channel Home Theater...
Pc: HP Pavilion Elite HPE with a Amd Phenom II quad core processor, blu-ray enabled, and a 1tb hard-drive.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:39 AM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Considering it is 2010, and the first Blu-ray hit the market in 2006, the release schedule has been absolutely pathetic. The general decline in sales for the studios has held back the number of movies we should be getting at this stage. Studios are not even releasing BDs we know they have already authored. I was a lot more bullish on Blu-ray completely replacing the dvd format a couple of years ago. Now I think most of the studios view it as a luxury, niche product that will never overtake the entire market. It would explain the lack of deep catalog product.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:43 AM   #17
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

For the most part, yes. There are plenty of titles I still want to be announced, but as a whole, this year is looking like it will be a nice one. Having Toy Story 1 and 2 and The Lord of the Rings come out is enough in themselves to call this a pretty nice start to a year, especially given the fact that the year is only just over three months old.
Last Watched: The Hangover Part III
Last Bought: Despicable Me 2 3D
PSN ID: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Old 04-09-2010, 02:48 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai3rocks57 View Post
Just release Star Wars already. I can go another 5 years without another catalogue release as long as I get the Original Trilogy on Blu.
It would be nice if we could get the original trilogy, as it first appeared before all the 'changes,' in an official 'anamorphic' release of any sort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Considering it is 2010, and the first Blu-ray hit the market in 2006, the release schedule has been absolutely pathetic. The general decline in sales for the studios has held back the number of movies we should be getting at this stage. Studios are not even releasing BDs we know they have already authored. Now I think most of the studios view it as a luxury, niche product that will never overtake the entire market. It would explain the lack of deep catalog product.
+1
Old 04-09-2010, 02:59 AM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdm View Post
The quantity isn't too bad; the quality is another story.
I totally agree! I just finished watching The Relic and I was very disappointed with the picture quality. Scratched opening credits, picture quality going from really nice detail to lack of detail in only seconds, etc. I'd rather they take their time and release decent looking Blu's which are at least closer to something I would like to show someone else. This, coupled with all of the garbage being released on Blu cause me to think that it will be some years before this format becomes widely adopted.
The Alamo, Amistad, Black Rain (Jp), The Enemy Below, Far from the Madding Crowd, Gray Lady Down, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Interrupted Melody, Lust for Life, Mississippi Burning, Moby Dick (Gregory Peck), The Other Sister, Ryan's Daughter, Searching for Bobby Fischer, Sink the Bismarck, Swing Kids, Testament, Them, The Thing from Another World, War of the Worlds (Orig.) & When Worlds Collide
Old 04-09-2010, 03:05 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkolinski View Post
I totally agree! I just finished watching The Relic and I was very disappointed with the picture quality. Scratched opening credits, picture quality going from really nice detail to lack of detail in only seconds, etc. I'd rather they take their time and release decent looking Blu's which are at least closer to something I would like to show someone else. This, coupled with all of the garbage being released on Blu cause me to think that it will be some years before this format becomes widely adopted.
And I agree with you! If Blu-ray's response (to what's already being deemed by many consumers as 'minimal output') is to start tossing catalogue titles out there without the proper attention, which is obviously already happening, it's really going to slow the formats progess...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America