Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$55.95
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Fairy Tail: Part 11 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
McLintock! (Blu-ray)
$10.20
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Power Member

Aug 2008
OH, U.S.A. SteelBooks™: 61 & counting!
Exclamation The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Jul. 6)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Blu-ray

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Blu-ray Review

Just an FYI- I thought I'd share with fellow forum members...The description on the pre-orders page is kind of misleading:

"A journalist gets tangled in the underworld when he is hired to write the saga of a powerful family."

I just saw this movie in the theater last night, and it was a really good thriller. BUT the description should read:

"A journalist gets tangled in web of violence and mystery when he is hired to find the killer of a member from a powerful family."

There's not really an "underworld" element, unless that simply means crime. And though he's a journalist, the main character is NOT hired to write anything on the powerful family. Just to solve the mystery!!!

Check it out, if you enjoy thrillers though. Pretty good one. Slightly graphic!
"DO- or DO NOT...there is no TRY!" ~Master Yoda

Last edited by Deciazulado; 07-13-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Added picture and link to review.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #2

Oct 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
Send a message via AIM to Cheerupemokid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapGoblin View Post
Just an FYI- I thought I'd share with fellow forum members...The description on the pre-orders page is kind of misleading:

"A journalist gets tangled in the underworld when he is hired to write the saga of a powerful family."

I just saw this movie in the theater last night, and it was a really good thriller. BUT the description should read:

"A journalist gets tangled in web of violence and mystery when he is hired to find the killer of a member from a powerful family."

There's not really an "underworld" element, unless that simply means crime. And though he's a journalist, the main character is NOT hired to write anything on the powerful family. Just to solve the mystery!!!

Check it out, if you enjoy thrillers though. Pretty good one. Slightly graphic!
In the book, writing a novel on the family is the "front" as he searches for the killer. They took that aspect out of the movie and made it simply him searching for the killer. Probably where the confusion in that description comes from.

It really is a brilliant film. Such great acting and a fantastic story. I cannot wait to own in on Blu-Ray and to watch it a second time.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

The two sequels The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest are due later this year so I suspect a box set will appear in due course. Great film and Noomi Rapace is terrific, the books are better (except for the non-existant Colt 45 Magnum in the second one) but they are bit too large to condense to film length without some simplification
"There's nothing wrong with Britain that impaling the Prime Minister wouldn't cure"
Old 04-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
London, UK

Really looking forward to this, I think the BD is already out in some countries...

I heard the sequels weren't as good, but I'll still end up watching them (though I wanna read the books first!)
Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

great news!
I heard this movie was fantastic and my father has read the first 2 books.
which studio is releasing this?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #6

May 2008
USA BD Steels:74+

Just watched the German BD-really engrossing and entertaining for me, good news that it's coming to US.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #7

Apr 2008

The first film is absolutely fantastic. Not only one of the best mysteries I've ever seen, but one of the best movies period. I just watched the second in the series ("The Girl Who Played with Fire") and it's nowhere as good. In fact, it's "just o.k.". Different director, who clearly didn't know how to handle the material. The whole production value just looked so cheap and lazy compared to the first. Very dissapointing. But the story is SO good, that you have to watch it anyway. Looking for the third film now.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalbabe View Post
Just watched the German BD-really engrossing and entertaining for me, good news that it's coming to US.
What was the transfer like? (though I'm guessing it didn't have English subs...and that the US release will probably be a different transfer)
Old 04-19-2010, 07:04 AM   #9

Sep 2007

Glad this is coming, looking forward to it.

I imported the BBC Wallander blu-ray set from the UK but they won't play on my US PS3 due to the 50hz limitation. Had to watch them on Dvd instead.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #10

Apr 2010

Good news. I am planning on reading the book after finals are over. I start summer school around its release date. Will pick up Blu-Ray. Really surprised it is being released here.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

As a Swede, I'm actually really confused as to how these movies get so much love internationally. Sure, the first one is a good mystery, and the other two are "okay" as has been said, but people are making it out to be a masterpiece, which really, it isn't. When compared with other Swedish thrillers it really is just above average...
Old 04-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Riot View Post
As a Swede, I'm actually really confused as to how these movies get so much love internationally. Sure, the first one is a good mystery, and the other two are "okay" as has been said, but people are making it out to be a masterpiece, which really, it isn't. When compared with other Swedish thrillers it really is just above average...
I think it is just the first (apparently superior) one that's getting lots of international attention, the other two haven't been released in that many places yet, I don't think (at least not in the US or UK). And straddling those two countries myself it took quite a bit of research for me to find out much about the sequels.

I don't know, I just thought that it was a really good thriller. The story was really gripping. Sure, it wasn't structurally or conceptually especially unique, had a few over-the-top moments, but for what it was, it was really fun. Add to that the feminist subtext and a great female heroine the likes of which are rarely/never seen in movies such as this, and an already good, solid film becomes great in my eyes. I've seen 17 movies at the cinema so far this year, this one was in the top 3 for sure.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

The problem is that so few Swedish films get English editions. While the Krister Henriksson Wallanders are being shown on BBC4 there's no sign of DVD releases and the Rolf Lassgard films haven't even had English subtitled releases anywhere in the world that I can find. The Millenium trilogy happen to be a marketer's dream because of the untimely demise of Stieg Larsson.
"There's nothing wrong with Britain that impaling the Prime Minister wouldn't cure"
Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #14

Nov 2008

the first two movie of the trilogy are already out on blu in province of quebec canada (where i'm from actually) and in french these two movie are called:

millenium the movie
(les hommes qui n'aimaient pas les femmes)...(the men who don't loved women)
this movie contain one extra...a history on the life of the author of the trilogy (stieg larssons) and his work

millenium 2
(la fille qui revait d'un bidon d'essence et d'une allumette)
(the girl who dream of a can of gas and a match)
this movie contain no extra

and i must say both movies are great... they are definitely worth checking out.
sony bravia kdl-40v2500 1080 (full hd)
sony dvd movie theater system (dav-fx100w)
sony blu-ray player (bdp-s300)
star choice satellite receiver (dsr505 hd)
Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #15

Sep 2007

The Rolf Lassgård films The White Lioness and One Step Behind were released on Dvd in the US with English subtitles.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

Thanks for that, I'll pick those up. Last time I checked I could only find German editions
Old 04-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #17
Special Member

Jun 2009
Send a message via ICQ to Harlock415 Send a message via AIM to Harlock415 Send a message via Yahoo to Harlock415

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter008 View Post
the first two movie of the trilogy are already out on blu in province of quebec canada (where i'm from actually) and in french these two movie are called:

millenium the movie
(les hommes qui n'aimaient pas les femmes)...(the men who don't loved women)
this movie contain one extra...a history on the life of the author of the trilogy (stieg larssons) and his work

millenium 2
(la fille qui revait d'un bidon d'essence et d'une allumette)
(the girl who dream of a can of gas and a match)
this movie contain no extra

and i must say both movies are great... they are definitely worth checking out.
Are either or both these films English subtitled?
Old 04-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #18

Nov 2008

sorry harlock unfortunately there are no english sub-titles on both movie
Old 04-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter008 View Post
sorry harlock unfortunately there are no english sub-titles on both movie
Man that is seriously pathetic. Everything else in Canada has to get bilingual support, but it is OK to release a movie there with no English? What a joke.

Last edited by Mobe1969; 04-24-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #20

Nov 2008

mobe i've also seen movie from english canada that had no french sub-titles also (ex: the arrow) a tv movie mini serie made in canada so...it, not fun but sometimes you just have to accept movie as they are and deal with it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America