COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Kundo (Blu-ray)
$17.98
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$106.88
American Horror Story: Coven (Blu-ray)
$32.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Old 04-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
Power Member

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Canada Do Digital Copies Actually Expire?

I am currently downloading the my Digital Copy of the Dark Knight.

I bought the movie in early 2009 and the Digital Copy insert states "Offer expires [Don't remember exact date] 2009"

I just entered the code in iTunes and am downloading it right now...

Do the DCs actually expire, or is it just to try to get fans to rush out and buy the version with the digital copy instead of the Acadamy Awards version that comes out later
Check out my Star Wars Home Video Collection Website:
swhomevid.site40.net

Yes, I STILL BUY DVDs! Any DVD with extras not ported to the blu-ray is STILL WORTH BUYING!

Most recent blu-rays: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Triple Feature (April 26), Star Trek: The Original Series, Season 1 (April 20)
Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
Out there...past the trees...

I've had a few copies expire on me. I go to claim them and they're no longer available on their sites (can't remember which ones did this exactly; I'm sure one was "Family Guy: Blue Harvest," which is very old now).

But yeah, some copies seem to be available for longer than the proposed expiry date.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Once redeemed, the digital copies do not expire but the codes do expire.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Contributor

Oct 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba

The codes expire, sadly. But some, like The Dark Knight, have been extended.
2051 DVDs,
1296 Blu-rays,
166 HD DVDs,
38 Laserdiscs
& counting...

Sale/Trade Thread (new titles regularly: Canadian exclusives, slipcovers, steelbooks): http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=116007
Old 04-17-2010, 03:53 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

I know before I got my iPhone, I had a few movies (like Blue Harvest) that said they had expired according to the dates... but the codes still worked, so I was happy.

I'm not entirely sure why they have the codes expire though. I could understand only inserting codes during the initial release as a bonus for people who buy early... but it seems like as long as you buy a copy that includes a code, that code should always work unless and until the digital copy mechanism stops being used.

I know a lot of people are like me in that they were buying movies before they had a portable device... and this will always be true... there will always be people buying day-1 release movies but unable to redeem the codes because they don't have a device to use them on yet.
Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:57 AM   #6
Special Member

Oct 2008
Texas

It depends on the Studio really, but in general, all the ITunes capable digital copies work even after the expiration date. The ones that I have noticed that do expire are the Windows Media Player versions.

It is also a good idea to keep the discs and unlock codes because they can be re-installed into the same ITunes account they were originally installed. I have two computers with ITunes, and I was able to download the movie into both computers in Itunes, and I have read that if your computer crashes, and you don't have a back up of ITunes, you can still re-install the movies that were originally installed into your account.
My Trade Lists: SteelBooks and Blu's
Old 04-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe View Post
I'm not entirely sure why they have the codes expire though. I could understand only inserting codes during the initial release as a bonus for people who buy early... but it seems like as long as you buy a copy that includes a code, that code should always work unless and until the digital copy mechanism stops being used.
because you need to maintain a DB, right? you go on there and enter your code. But that code also needs to be there so that it can confirm that it is the right code and also that DB needs to keep track if it was redeemed or not and possibly by who. No one wants to maintain it indefinitely and for it to keep growing. Think about it, be it 2 movies at 500k a shot or 1 at 1M, if 1M copies are distributed a week by a studio (which sounds small to me) then you need to add to that DB 1M codes a weak in a year that would be 52M codes and then it will also need to look through them to check when you redeem them.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
because you need to maintain a DB, right? you go on there and enter your code. But that code also needs to be there so that it can confirm that it is the right code and also that DB needs to keep track if it was redeemed or not and possibly by who. No one wants to maintain it indefinitely and for it to keep growing. Think about it, be it 2 movies at 500k a shot or 1 at 1M, if 1M copies are distributed a week by a studio (which sounds small to me) then you need to add to that DB 1M codes a weak in a year that would be 52M codes and then it will also need to look through them to check when you redeem them.
You're making it more difficult than it really is, though...

They generate all the valid codes in advance, and print them on the inserts for the releases... and the database has to already have all of those possible numbers in it to validate them... so the only new data is the redemption.

Also, most of these same digital copies can also be purchased as digital copies through iTunes (for example)... so until they kill the digital copy model, they will be maintaining a database for that movie indefinitely in order to sell digital copies once they stop redeeming the free ones.

So in reality, most of the "work" happens up front in initializing the database... and they don't save any processing time/space by stopping the redemption unless they don't want to sell the digital copies... and you know they want to sell the digital copies.

So I stand by my original thought that instead of stopping the free redemption... they should just put the inserts into a limited number of copies during the initial release of the movie... and not expire those codes.
Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe View Post
They generate all the valid codes in advance, and print them on the inserts for the releases... and the database has to already have all of those possible numbers in it to validate them

yes, maybe it was not clear enough but that is what I meant. But let me put it this way, let's say they replicate 2M copies, now they sell 1M obviously not all copies will be sold or even shipped immediately) and 20% of them are redeemed (according to DEG that was the highest % reached last year for movies sold and it was Worlverine). So out of the 2M codes 1.8M codes are garbage. This takes a lot of place in the DB and any search (because now I want to redeem code a123xyz) slower. Also I have not used DC, but does DC need to know who you are and does it need it in the same database. A code that is used might just be deleted (if there is no reuse on the same device by the same person) or moved to a different table (if you can re-use it in some way). If it does delete or move then 100% of the codes will be gone after the deadline leaving place for a new movie with new codes.
Quote:
Also, most of these same digital copies can also be purchased as digital copies through iTunes (for example)... so until they kill the digital copy model, they will be maintaining a database for that movie indefinitely in order to sell digital copies once they stop redeeming the free ones.
but isn't that different. When I go to itunes (only used it for songs and then not much) don't you just pick a song, there is no individual code per user per song (like this), i-tunes keeps a record of all the songs you purchased, but a song is associated with you and not an individual copy.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #10
Power Member

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

iTunes does keep track of which digital copies you have downloaded, presumably so that you can re-download them if needed...

if you go to your "Purchases" tab (or w/e it's called) the digital copies will be there.

the DC code is basically a promo code... you insert the disc, go to the fancy screen in iTunes, enter the code and you bypass the payment screen and go straight to downloading the movie

im not sure exactly what happens if you try to redeem an expired code (that actually is expired) though
Check out my Star Wars Home Video Collection Website:
swhomevid.site40.net

Yes, I STILL BUY DVDs! Any DVD with extras not ported to the blu-ray is STILL WORTH BUYING!

Most recent blu-rays: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Triple Feature (April 26), Star Trek: The Original Series, Season 1 (April 20)
Old 04-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Toronto, Canada

What about the movies that are included as a DC on an actual disc? Like in all the Disney ones, none of those were expired, even those past their dates, I was still able to access it off the disc and install it on my computer.
Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO141FD Owner
My Flickr
Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #12

Mar 2010
Ontario, Canada

I realize that this thread is somewhat old, but I just wanted to say that my "The Hangover" Digital Copy expired December 15th, 2010. I redeemed it today (February 5th, 2011) and it worked.

Cheers!
Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
Banned

Feb 2011
Los Angeles

Wow good to know. I had been taking my time downloading them. Now I better get it sorted before the codes expire.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:26 AM   #14
Power Member

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Some do and some don't. That's been my experience.

Obviously my Dark Knight one was valid beyond the expiration date printed, but I bought the Batman (digibook) for ~$13 (cant remember exact price, this was so darn long ago :P) and the digital copy expired. I PMed at BB, the price tag said $29.99 :O

would suck to buy a $30 movie to find an expired digital copy. but for $13 i didnt mind
Old 02-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Illinois

Is it that just the code expires? Or those the film expire as well after a certain period even after downloading?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #16

Mar 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings80 View Post
Is it that just the code expires? Or those the film expire as well after a certain period even after downloading?
Just the codes expire. The film will stay on your computer memory for as long as you live
Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

the code, or to put it differently the ability to redeam it for a free digital copy of the film
Old 02-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #18
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartfordC View Post
Just the codes expire. The film will stay on your computer memory for as long as you live
Maybe I better redeem the codes and download the films to my external drive, (1.5TB). Never know when you may need them?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:56 AM   #19

Nov 2010
Ottawa

Every expired I've tried (Pineapple Express, Amadeus, Hellboy II and a couple of others) was rejected when I tried to redeem them. In the case of Amadeus, I actually wrote to Warners Bros to see if I could get the DC, and they politely told me to go f#%@ myself.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #20

Feb 2012

I know this thread is quite old but after scouring the intertubes I have discovered that sometime you can trick the Digital Copy disc by changing the date on your computer. I just tried this with my expired Despicable Me code and it worked ! Some people have noted that this does not work every time but it is worth a try
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada