Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$26.49
8 hrs ago
Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 04-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Default Conan The Barbarian - which version for BD - discuss

On the SE DVD we only got the European cut. I am almost always for the European cuts because IMO they are almost always better with more character development. However I feel that the US cut of CTB is superior (particularly for the much more powerful ending). I don't hate the Euro cut, in fact it was a buzz to watch it, but I prefer the US version.

SO I hope that we get the US cut on BD. Or better yet BOTH cuts.

Note - {please don't put this in the wish list section-it is not a wish for the film's release, but a discussion of what we will get when it IS released}
Old 04-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #2

Mar 2009
brandon, florida

I wasn't aware there was a Euro version to Conan. Now you've piqued my interest. I'm gonna have to see if i can find it somewhere on the interwebs.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoxodo View Post
I wasn't aware there was a Euro version to Conan. Now you've piqued my interest. I'm gonna have to see if i can find it somewhere on the interwebs.
The SE DVD sold in the US is the European cut. The previous (poor quality) US DVD featured the US version.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #4

Mar 2009
brandon, florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDarren View Post
The SE DVD sold in the US is the European cut. The previous (poor quality) US DVD featured the US version.
Its been a while since i've seen it, but i think i have that version. Now that you mention it i do seem to remember some sort of extra footage, but i can't remember what it was.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoxodo View Post
Its been a while since i've seen it, but i think i have that version. Now that you mention it i do seem to remember some sort of extra footage, but i can't remember what it was.
An extra dialogue scene between Conan and Subotai before the battle on the mounds, and a different/longer ending (which loses the powerful US finale but adds more story about the princess and Conan).
Old 04-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDarren View Post
I feel that the US cut of CTB is superior.
+1...I couldn't agree with you more! I had the original 1998 Universal DVD at one point, which was the U.S. theatrical cut, but it was a horrid, non-anamorphic transfer, that displayed some of the worst 'artifacting' issues I've ever seen on a DVD...
Old 04-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Power Member

Apr 2008

To be honest, I'd be ecstatic with either one. Ideally, it would have both. Hopefully all of the special features of the DVD SE will be carried over as well.
Mongol General: Wrong! Conan! What is best in life?

Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

Details here http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=121 I prefer the extended version, the theatrical cut is available on German DVD (be careful though, I think the first version had forced subs). When it is finally issued on blu I'm sure the horse falls will be cut in the UK as the DVDs were
"There's nothing wrong with Britain that impaling the Prime Minister wouldn't cure"
Old 04-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #9

Mar 2009

I have both the original DVD release and the CE, and I still prefer the EU version by a slight (very slight) margin. I wasn't too crazy about the sequel Destroyer, so I definitely won't be buying that one on Blu when/if the time comes.

I think Universal should offer both versions of Barbarian on the same Blu-ray disc, via the branching option.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

I'm thinking we'll get whatever was on the most recent DVD release.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

That's what I'm afraid of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
I'm thinking we'll get whatever was on the most recent DVD release.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

We will get what they decide to give us
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady

Last edited by P@t_Mtl; 04-24-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
Vesilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Moon View Post
I have both the original DVD release and the CE, and I still prefer the EU version by a slight (very slight) margin. I wasn't too crazy about the sequel Destroyer, so I definitely won't be buying that one on Blu when/if the time comes.

I think Universal should offer both versions of Barbarian on the same Blu-ray disc, via the branching option.
It is too bad that they did not follow up with more of what Oliver Stone had outlined in his massive writings pertaining to Conan the Barbarian. According to him, he saw it as many as 6(?) films. Whether you like O.S. or not, he did a great job with fleshing out the first film as he used nothing but Robert E. Howard's texts.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #14
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Bay Area, CA

Differences between the two are here:
http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=121

I prefer the SE DVD version myself and would prefer both on BD but Ill take the euro cut if I have to choose. Hopefully both Conan films come out sooner than later. THe second one wasnt up to par but still fun to watch when you need a cheezy time waster.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

I'm in the minority on this one, but I thought the 1st movie was decent (very over rated though) and the second one was just plain Arnie AWESOME!!!
Old 04-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
Vesilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
I'm in the minority on this one, but I thought the 1st movie was decent (very over rated though) and the second one was just plain Arnie AWESOME!!!
Blasphemy! That's cool that you feel that way. Always loved the first one over the second myself.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #17
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardmoen View Post
Blasphemy! That's cool that you feel that way. Always loved the first one over the second myself.
lol, nah, I know why too. The first movie was trying to be more serious and I'm just a really big fan of the Cheesey, Campy Arnie style of movies, AKA Red Sonja and Running Man etc... so Conan the Destroyer went that way unlike the first movie.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
Vesilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
lol, nah, I know why too. The first movie was trying to be more serious and I'm just a really big fan of the Cheesey, Campy Arnie style of movies, AKA Red Sonja and Running Man etc... so Conan the Destroyer went that way unlike the first movie.
I can understand that. I'm a super huge Godzilla fan, and aside from the original Gojira, there is not much to take seriously.

You didn't actually enjoy Red Sonja now did you? To be honest, I have not seen Red Sonja since it was released in theaters... ages ago...
Old 04-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #19

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardmoen View Post
It is too bad that they did not follow up with more of what Oliver Stone had outlined in his massive writings pertaining to Conan the Barbarian. According to him, he saw it as many as 6(?) films. Whether you like O.S. or not, he did a great job with fleshing out the first film as he used nothing but Robert E. Howard's texts.
I was always disappointed that there wasn't a third Conan movie, the one where the Cimmerian was supposed to become a King by his own hand. And fwiw I have always considered Oliver Stone to be a cinematic genius, without doubt one of the best directors/screenplay writers of the 20th century.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #20
Expert Member

Sep 2009

I have the collector's edition Conan and I love the DVD, but when I first watched it, I thought what happened to the ending. I guess I grew up on the U.S version of the film. Both versions would be great, but if they only give one I"d want the U.S version of the film.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists