COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Qatsi Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Three Colors Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Thalía: Viva Tour (Blu-ray)
$13.48
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hook (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
Weekend (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-01-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Power Member

Nov 2009
Washington State
Thumbs up In the Shadow of the Moon - August 10th

According to The Digital Bits, "In the Shadow of the Moon" will be released on BD on August 10 by Image Entertainment. I'm really quite excited about it, as I would have already bought it on Blu if only the UK release wasn't region-locked.

Cover art below:

It's basically the same art as the theatrical poster and the DVD released a couple years back, but no biggie.
Forget The Evil Dead; what George Lucas has done to Star Wars since 1997 is truly "The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror".

Svenge's Neon Genesis Evangelion Home Video Compendium
My Blu-ray Collection | My Anime DVD Collection | My Laserdisc Collection
My gear: LG 32LN5300 (LED TV) | Sony BDP-S360 (BD/DVD) | Pioneer CLD-D606 (LD)

Last edited by svenge; 05-01-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Expert Member

Nov 2009
The Lone Star State

Nice, I'll double dip on this indeed.

MSRP: $17.98...hard to beat that.

Last edited by MarkWM; 05-01-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2008
The Center of Smoked Bacon Research

This BD has been released here in Hong Kong, and I already got a copy and watched it. Overall I am pretty pleased with the BD version, but what happened to those subtitles? Although it says there are English and Spanish subtitles, I cannot access or turn on neither. Nor there is any subtitle option to choose from in the menu.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010
Old 08-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #4

Sep 2008

Really looking forward to this. Of all the documentaries about the moon landings (and there are tons of them) IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON is far and away my favorite.
My price trigger is $14.99
Old 08-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #5

Dec 2008
Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada

Cool, never even noticed this. Pre-ordered as it was only $13 bucks.
PSN: GrassySpy
Old 08-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #6

Oct 2009
Talking Wonderful film, super nice guys ( and gals )

In the 20 some odd years I've been attending the Sundance Film Festival I've been very fortunate to have had numerous "magical" Sundance experiences. A couple of few years ago, I plopped down on the sofa at the 'filmmakers lodge' between screenings, there were 3 or 4 other folks seated around the fire and I said "hi" and introduced myself. Introductions made the round and I found I had seated myself with most of the production crew, producers, director, composer of one of the films in the doc. competition, In The Shadow of the Moon ( this isn't really that amazing or unusual at Sundance and it's one of the primary reasons I've continued attending and feel that's it's the most 'cinephile' friendly film festival in the world ).
We all sipped our chosen hot beverages ( it was, as usual, snowing handily outside ), and chatted amiably about the festival and my company's experience so far ( I had attended far more ' Sundance's ', but they of course had a film in competition, we all had lots to say ) I tell you, to a man ( and woman ) these were the friendliest, most self effacing group of filmmakers I've ever met. I hadn't yet seen 'Shadow' yet, but now it was surely top of my list. Dave Sington, the director was bemused and somewhat pre-occupied, yet still had the time to be friendly and inclusive, a few of the producers- John, Duncan, I think Andrea, and composer Philip Sheppard were also there and extremely nice company and fab conversationalists. They ended up needing some direction around town and I was happy to act as 'temporary tour guide' for the group. Duncan and I wanted to try and get into a screening of 'Gangster', so we went off to try ( and fail ) that.
We ended up having lunch a day or so later, and spent some more time just... chatting about this and that ( film... film... ). A more 'regular' and nicer bunch I couldn't imagine.
I ended up seeing the film the next day, and it was, and is, IMHO the definitive doc. about NASA in general and the Apollo program specifically ever committed to film. 'Shadow' is also a distinctly unique look at the Apollo program and flights, coming as it was, from the very specific and enthralling perspectives of the astronauts involved. Simply stunning.
The day after I finally caught the film ( after having heard about the full house standing ovation the screening in Salt Lake City received ), I ran into 'the crew' again, at the Holliday 'multi-venue' in Park City, and had the extreme pleasure and honor of being introduced to, and shaking the hand of Mr. Buzz Aldrin ( and his charming wife ), This man STOOD ON THE MOON!! Couldn't have been a more wonderful Sundance experience, or so I thought, up to that point.... I haven't, nor do I have the space and time to talk about the wonderful 'debate' I ended up having with Mr. Sington and Mr. (Dr. ? ) Brian Green, imminent astrophysicist and 'string theory' proponent/pioneer about... what can I say... the nature of the Universe and self-determination ( or lack thereof ). Mr. Sington and Mr. Green had, earlier that afternoon, both been on a panel about "science in film". I ended up touring Mr Green around town as well ( he was tired of seeing only the interior of his chauffeured Escalade... so we took the shuttle/bus and walked...) seems like my "job" at Sundance... The 'discussion' was immensely entertaining, and at some points... heated, but most assuredly fun. I suggested at one point popping Mr. Green in the nose to show I definitely did have a measure of self-determination in this universe ( didn't do it, of course... and whose point that buttressed, I really have no idea! ). While Mr. Green worked hard at being inclusive of the layman ( me! ) most of the discussion flew, at light speed, directly over my head. But it sure was a pleasurable debate.
Anyway, it wasn't all that much of a shock/surprise ( to me anyway ) when 'Shadow' walked away at festival end, with the grand jury prize in the 'world documentary' section of the competition ( as well as the Alfred P. Sloan award for 'science in film' AND the 'Audience Favorite' award, if my memory further serves me...)
Couldn't have happened to a better film, and a nicer group of filmmakers. I can't wait to trade in my well worn DVD and purchase the blu-ray. I'm sure it's spectacular to see in hi-def, though no matter the format, viewing the film will always warm my heart with the memories of and fondness for Mr. Sington, Philip, Duncan and the rest of the crew, who were so open and friendly that winter in Park City;) and who provided me with a truly magical few days at The Sundance Film Festival. Congrats again, Well done!! See you with your next film at the Festival.
Cheers.

Last edited by MartySLC; 08-10-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
Expert Member

Nov 2009
The Lone Star State

Should have mine this afternoon via Amazon.
Hope it looks good.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #8

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWM View Post
Should have mine this afternoon via Amazon.
Hope it looks good.
Watched it over the weekend (10ft wide screen) -- looks really nice. Of course, when mixing so much archival material some of the sources look better than others.

Some of the footage seemed blurry on the left and right sides of the frame -- but razor sharp in the middle. I couldn't decide if this was just part of the original photography or an added stylistic choice by the filmmaker.

It looks nice regardless. And the film itself is wonderful.
My price trigger is $14.99
Old 09-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Brooklyn

Saw this for 9.99 on AMZ and decided to grab it.
I loved WHEN WE LEFT EARTH, so hopefully this will be as compelling.

2 user reviews note lack of subtitles and all extra features (including Ron Howard intro) being SD. Good to know.
Watch my F13 shorts here!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:49 PM   #10

Dec 2009
Nashville, TN

$5.99 on Amazon... I don't think it will be any cheaper, not even in the bargain bins.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America