Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
15 hrs ago
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8 hrs ago
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
21 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Beyond (Blu-ray)
$24.99
4 hrs ago
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate Kick-Ass 2
1 out of 5 10 5.95%
1.5 out of 5 2 1.19%
2 out of 5 6 3.57%
2.5 out of 5 4 2.38%
3 out of 5 20 11.90%
3.5 out of 5 40 23.81%
4 out of 5 58 34.52%
4.5 out of 5 19 11.31%
5 out of 5 9 5.36%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #741
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
California!

I don't think I've ever LOVED a Jim Carrey film, I think I liked Mask when I had it on VHS, but I don't think I liked Bruce Almighty, I think I thought it was dumb as a child.
I'll be seeing KICK-ASS 2, even if Carrey is against it.
Anna Faris' Biggest Fan

Elizabeth Berkeley in
SHOWGIRLS in Dazzling 3D

Merry Christmas B**ch!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #742
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Guy Eddie View Post
I dont really GAF what he has to say about Kick-Ass 2, I wasnt planning to see it anyway. As a matter of fact I cant think of anything he has ever been in that I've seen and I'm kind of proud of myself for that.
but you want to spend time discussing a film that you were never going to see!!

Last edited by beadelf; 06-25-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #743
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Albany NY

This screams like desperation on Carrey's part, his career is dying and he needs the spotlight one more time. It's quite pathetic frankly, he had no problem taking the paycheck.
http://www.bemealittle.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5519652...851207/detail/
Samsung LN46B630, Yamaha RX-V765
Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 60's, Polk Monitor 40's
BIC Acoustec PL-200 Sub
Sony BDP-S570
Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #744
Expert Member

Aug 2011
Belgium

I'm a bit tired of reading clueless posts about his carreer being over. Check your facts, please.

There is not one single comedian out there that started in the early 90s and still gets the numbers he does. The same numbers that tell us his carreer is far from over and he is still one of the most popular comedians all over the world. I mean, take Will Ferrell (for example) and look at his domestic numbers and compare with the (low) foreign numbers, he's not big outside the US. And that goes for ... almost any other comedian that came after Jim Carrey. While with Jim Carrey it's the other way around, he is scoring time after time worldwide. And his numbers are actually going up

And for the US, there is not one single typical Carrey movie that didn't open in the top 3 at the box office. He has no "flops". Almost all of his movies were doing very well. Or simply good, at least. And yeah, there are some titles that weren't that great, box office wise. But those were non-typical Carrey / small movies and for most of them there is a reason. For example "I Love You, Philip Morris", there was the fight between the studios that killed every chance. So I'm not counting that one, wouldn't be fair.

The list with actors that have only movies that opened in the top 10 at the box office and no directly tot DVD titles ... is small. Carrey is on it. Numbers don't lie.

And OK, now there's the thing that happened with Burt Wonderstone. What happened? Nobody knows. Promotion was bad. Carrey did his anti-gun thing and people were actually refusing to go because of that. WB worldwide panicked and didn't release the movie in theatres (yet) in many countries. Despite that, there's no doubt it will break even and more. The movie got bad reviews, but ... if there is one thing that's coming back in many of the reviews, it's the fact that this is one of Carreys funniest performances in a very long time.

I love an actor that does different things and dares to make unpopular choices. And you can't blame him for doing that. I think he's one of the most interesting names in Hollywood, still is. And talking about Kick-Ass 2, they wanted him. And I noticed excitement, even by the most finicky fans.

And yes, although I respect his choice towards Kick-Ass, I also think it doesn't make sense. But that doesn't change all the rest.
[Wanted Slipcovers US] Cinderella - The Great Mouse Detective - Pete's Dragon - Hunchback of Notre Dame - Atlantis - Robin Hood - Oliver & Co - Sword in the Stone - Peter Pan - Atlantis - Chicken Little (3D) - Mulan - Lilo & Stitch - Bolt (3D) - Brave (2D) - Monsters University (2D) - Frankenweenie (3D) - James and the Giant Peach

Last edited by esteban˛; 06-25-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #745
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
West Hollywood, CA.

Jim, I think the clue that the film is too violent is when you read the script. IMO the first Kick Ass film was way too violent and I was turned off by the killing of kids in the film. But as long as the U.S. and Hollywood see no issue with guns and violence we will continue to thrive in violence. This may be 'entertainment' but at what cost?
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Old 06-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #746
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
York, somewhere else in England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1963 View Post
Jim, I think the clue that the film is too violent is when you read the script. IMO the first Kick Ass film was way too violent and I was turned off by the killing of kids in the film. But as long as the U.S. and Hollywood see no issue with guns and violence we will continue to thrive in violence. This may be 'entertainment' but at what cost?
So you think I'm a mad mass murderer because I enjoyed a violent film?
Remaining Films of 2014 I'll check out: Dumb and Dumber To. Exodus: Gods and Kings. Big Eyes. Unbroken.
Best Films of the Year so far: Boyhood. Calvary. Mr. Turner. Mommy. Frank. Godzilla. Nightcrawler. Gone Girl. Interstellar. The Raid 2. Whiplash. The Rover. The LEGO Movie. Under the Skin.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #747
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Albany NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1963 View Post
Should be no cost, people and kids need to be taught that what they see on a movie screen and their television screen is nothing but make believe. Let's take Chloe Moretz for instance, when questioned about her violent roles she has said that she doesn't take the role home with her, once the camera clicks off she just Chloe Moretz, not Hit-Girl, Abby the Vampire, or any of her other characters. People watching films need to do the same.
BIC Acoustec PL-200 Sub
Sony BDP-S570
Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #748
Power Member

Sep 2009
Texas

It gets old seeing people try to blame movies and video games for the ills of society. There was a recent study that showed there was a higher percentage of the population in Japan that plays violent video games than the US, but violent crime in Japan is dramatically lower. Is the US the only place these violent movies screen? These movies play all around the world yet crime rates vary. People want easy answers to complicated problems.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #749
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Raleigh, NC

100% support his right to say whatever he wants about this on a personal level and it has no bearing on the final product for me even if I agree with him or not. I just don't care about the personal beliefs/views/behavior of Hollywood whatsoever.

It'd be a tad more meaningful if he donated his proceeds from the film to support his cause or something along those lines.

Whatever, looking forward to the film.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #750

Mar 2012
Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban˛ View Post
I'm a bit tired of reading clueless posts about his carreer being over. Check your facts, please.

There is not one single comedian out there that started in the early 90s and still gets the numbers he does. The same numbers that tell us his carreer is far from over and he is still one of the most popular comedians all over the world. I mean, take Will Ferrell (for example) and look at his domestic numbers and compare with the (low) foreign numbers, he's not big outside the US. And that goes for ... almost any other comedian that came after Jim Carrey. While with Jim Carrey it's the other way around, he is scoring time after time worldwide. And his numbers are actually going up

And for the US, there is not one single typical Carrey movie that didn't open in the top 3 at the box office. He has no "flops". Almost all of his movies were doing very well. Or simply good, at least. And yeah, there are some titles that weren't that great, box office wise. But those were non-typical Carrey / small movies and for most of them there is a reason. For example "I Love You, Philip Morris", there was the fight between the studios that killed every chance. So I'm not counting that one, wouldn't be fair.

The list with actors that have only movies that opened in the top 10 at the box office and no directly tot DVD titles ... is small. Carrey is on it. Numbers don't lie.
If anyone needs to check facts, it'd be you, mi amigo.

It's been 8 years since Jim Carrey has had a live-action film gross over $100M domestically. EIGHT. In that same time, Will Ferrell has had 4 live-action films over $100M. Vince Vaughn has had 4. Adam Sandler had 7.

Carey's career may not be "over", but his days as a headlining, movie star comedian are done.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #751
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Albany NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicketyCricket View Post

It's been 8 years since Jim Carrey has had a live-action film gross over $100M domestically. EIGHT. In that same time, Will Ferrell has had 4 live-action films over $100M. Vince Vaughn has had 4. Adam Sandler had 7.

Carey's career may not be "over", but his days as a headlining, movie star comedian are done.
Great points! I never said his career was dead but it sure is dying. The poster was bragging about Carrey's string of top 3 films, debuting in the top three is not much to hang your hat on.
BIC Acoustec PL-200 Sub
Sony BDP-S570
Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #752

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadelf View Post
but you want to spend time discussing a film that you were never going to see!!
No, I saw the thread title and decided to give my opinion. I do however enjoy bashing hypocrite clowns like Jim Carrey........thats why I posted on this thread in the first place.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #753
Expert Member

Aug 2011
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicketyCricket View Post

If you wanted to make a point, you failed. Domestically. That says it all. Now take your time and read my post all over again. It's worldwide what counts, nothing else. There's more in the world thank the US. Ferrell, he's not doing really good outside the US. Besides Sandler (only from time to time, that is) nobody else is doing what Jim Carrey does worldwide and none of them is that big outside the US when we talk about comedies. And ... between those high grossing titles while naming Ferrell or Vaughn did you notice the many movies that don't perform? Not to mention where they will be after 25 years. Again, numbers don't lie.

Jim Carrey (only taking comedy) :

- Mr. Popper's Penguins (Domestic: 36%, Foreign: 63%)
- Yes Man (Domestic: 34%, Foreign: 56%)
- Fun with Dick and Jane (Domestic: 54%, 45%)
- Bruce Almighy (Domestic: 51%, Foreign: 49%)

Will Ferrell (only taking comedy, leaving out the bad scoring titles) :

- The Campaign (D: 82%, F: 17%)
- The Other Guys (D: 70%, F: 30%)
- Land of the Lost (D:71%, F: 28%)
- Step Brothers (D: 78%, F: 29%)
- Talladega Nights (D: 90%, F: 9%)

The best scoring Will Ferrell comedy (Bewitched) made $68 M outside the US.
The worst scoring Jim Carrey comedy (Fun with Dick and Jane) made $ 91 M outside the US, every other comedy title in the last 10 years made over $ 100 M.

Do I need to go on?

Well ... There's the huge difference between them. Wether you like it or not : Jim Carrey, (still starring on his own in most cases btw) still is a big name worldwide. "Over", that makes me laugh. Point made. Moving on.
[Wanted Slipcovers US] Cinderella - The Great Mouse Detective - Pete's Dragon - Hunchback of Notre Dame - Atlantis - Robin Hood - Oliver & Co - Sword in the Stone - Peter Pan - Atlantis - Chicken Little (3D) - Mulan - Lilo & Stitch - Bolt (3D) - Brave (2D) - Monsters University (2D) - Frankenweenie (3D) - James and the Giant Peach

Last edited by esteban˛; 06-25-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #754
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2011
Toronto, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Forever Knight Send a message via MSN to Forever Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Forever Knight

So what is all this Jim Carrey bullshit going on?

He did the movie and now months after finishing it he doesn't like it because it's too violent?, are you kidding me?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #755
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
So what is all this Jim Carrey bullshit going on?

He did the movie and now months after finishing it he doesn't like it because it's too violent?, are you kidding me?
I know its brilliant! its good publicity! well done film makers! I want to see this more than ever!! i pray this is jam packed with violence!!! A hard 18 (R) rating

watching too many PG films makes me want to kill!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #756
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2011
Toronto, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Forever Knight Send a message via MSN to Forever Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Forever Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadelf View Post
I know its brilliant! its good publicity! well done film makers! I want to see this more than ever!! i pray this is jam packed with violence!!! A hard 18 (R) rating

watching too many PG films makes me want to kill!!!
It brilliant. That alone will put asses in the seats. Well played JC.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #757
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
USA

I personally suspect that Jim Carrey knows this is going to be a BAD film. He might suspect it to flop BIG time and maybe that's the REAL reason he doesn't want to help with promotions.

I don't know, I'm just guessing.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #758
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayFilms View Post
I personally suspect that Jim Carrey knows this is going to be a BAD film. He might suspect it to flop BIG time and maybe that's the REAL reason he doesn't want to help with promotions.

I dont think thats the reason at all. He is already in the film so too late...not doing promotions wont make a difference..if your in a stinker than your in a stinker.

Im sure he is doing it because he actually believes in what he says. Not that it matters as it drums up more publicity.

my Hat off to JC!! you the man
Old 06-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #759

Nov 2011

Quote:

If that were the case, then Jim Carrey wouldn't have done any film promotions at all since 2004.

No, the reason Jim Carrey said all those things about KA2 is because he's simply loony. Have you ever looked into his Twitter account? Remember the Emma Stone Youtube fiasco? I'm shocked that people are still shocked at his bizarre behavior.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #760
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep in the jungle.

Quote:

I loved the first film. Its one of my very favorites, actually. After reading the comic book sequels, I think they should've just left it alone, to be honest. It might flop, it might not. But it's likely going to be weaker than the first film, as far as I can see.

BTW, the comics are much worse in every way, so far as "objectionable" content goes. I actually like the film far better.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies