COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.18
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Spy Game / State of Play (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Old 05-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #1

Jun 2008
Vienna
Send a message via Skype™ to Stephan.klose
Default Hang 'em High

I am really looking forward to "Hang 'em High" which is due to be released next Week.

Does anyone have any info about the regioncoding on the disc?

Hang 'Em High Amazon
1572 Blu Ray's
Link to my Movie List

Last edited by Blu Titan; 05-25-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Added Amazon link
Old 05-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Power Member

Dec 2008
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan.klose View Post
I am really looking forward to "Hang 'em High" which is due to be released next Week.

Does anyone have any info about the regioncoding on the disc?
Yup, loved this movie as a kid...have it in my rental queue. Since it is MGM it may be Region A only, but I'm not all that familiar with region coding

LR TV: Samsung UN46B6000 BR TV: Samsung UN32EH5300
LR BD: Sony BDP-S350 BR BD: Sony PS3 120GB
DVR: TiVo TCD652160 HD DVR
HT Audio/Video: Onkyo TX-SR606
Fronts: Polk TSi400s Center: Polk RM8C Surrounds: ADS L570s Sub: MartinLogan 10-Inch Dynamo
BR HT/Mac/CD Audio: Peachtree Audio Nova BR Fronts: Polk R150s
Old 05-08-2010, 03:32 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
England

Can't find any early reviews for this or The Magnificent Seven yet !!
Old 05-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #4

May 2010
Vancouver, B.C.

I found a copy today and will be checking it out before the day is over, sure hope MGM did a good job on the transfer. Shot of the back cover. Sorry it is a bit out of focus.

Last edited by KyotoKid; 05-08-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #5

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoKid View Post
I found a copy today and will be checking it out before the day is over, sure hope MGM did a good job on the transfer.
Please be so kind and tell me if there is german audio on the BR.

Thank's a lot
singulus
bienna calling
Old 05-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #6

May 2010
Vancouver, B.C.

Sorry to say there is only subtitles for Spanish or hard of hearing ( English ). Not much is it? The soundtrack is 5.1 DTS HD - which though not outstanding is quite decent - the music score is detailed enough and fairly dynamic. I took some screen shots right off my Toshiba 42" LCD display with a half decent camera, I hope to use the projector later. It is somewhat soft in some scenes, grain is present and the colors are fairly strong. Depending on the film source it could be quite a faithful reproduction of what was intended. I will have to leave that to those who have a better knowledge have there say. Having never really watched this Clint Eastwood Western I have to say it was well acted with some great supporting actors adding a lot to the enjoyment of this film. Glad I picked it up! I increased the sharpness a tad as some is usually lost. These images should at least give one an idea of what to expect. No doubt taking a still directly from the blu ray will show some improvement, so I hope these will do for now.

Last edited by KyotoKid; 05-08-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
England

Thanks for posting those screens
I'll expect this is region locked too, But you never know. It's on it's way to me anyway, Got to love Clint.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:24 AM   #8

May 2010
Vancouver, B.C.

After seeing how it would turn out using the projector - at about 100" screen size, I have to say it is a real mixed bag. Closeups can look acceptable with good detail, and interior shots generally have good color saturation as well. Most persistent is a overall haziness and a somewhat washed out look especially to many outdoor scenes , and the odd time some instances of one part of the an image being out of focus. I do not know if they took an old transfer or what source they may have used, and the film stock used maybe having a bearing but I have no doubt it could look better. Once those with background on this film see it, I imagine we will get the low down. I can say that if you have a larger display or pj the blu ray is a notch up from the dvd, but it seems pointless for MGM to release something like this without a half decent restoration, it's really a shame looking forward to a film making it to blu ray only to be let down by it being barely acceptable. I would have paid more if such was not the case.

I am not sure how A Fistful Of Dollars and A Few Dollars More will turn out but so far MGM is falling short. I hope otherwise but somehow at this point I am glad I bought the Italian version of A Fistful Of Dollars on blu - they did a great job.

Last edited by KyotoKid; 05-09-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

I mean expecting MGM to do a proper restoration of any film, given their financial status at present, is laughable unfortunately.
all they have to do is find a nice print and give us a nice hd 1080p image unmanipulated by dnr, ee, etc., and I will be totally happy.
and I think most people would.
what happens though, is they try to make it look perfect with lots of dnr, and stuff, and it ends up looking worse.
it's hard to tell a whole lot from most of those shots, but I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be complaining about this one.
It's sad to feel like you have to be happy that the bd is "better than the dvd", but with a release like this from mgm that's really what you have to do imo.
I know I'll be getting this day 1 because it's not like another version will ever pop up in the next 6 years most likely--if ever.
I mean, for better or for worse, this will, in all likelihood, be the best version of this film ever issued on a home video format .
with MGG, it is what it is.
and that will just have to be good enough I'm afraid.
the fact that this even came out on bd is a victory these days with the dearth of older US studio classics on bd compared to every other type of release.
I know I'll enjoy checking this great western out on bd.

Last edited by Arkadin; 05-09-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #10

May 2010
Vancouver, B.C.

I'm hoping someone who had the opportunity to see it during it's first run in the theaters can comment on how this transfer compares. Depending on the director's decision, camera lens and type of film used it may have been on the soft side etc. I did notice - in the scene where Inger Stevens helps Clint into a building when it starts raining, still recovering after being shot earlier, that there was a lot of debris and general damage which tells me not much was done, if anything.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

there are so many factors in what one sees in a "theater" setting that it really wouldn't mean much imo.
especially with a film this old.
people think they "remember" what they saw 40 years ago.
uhhh sure.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #12
Special Member

Nov 2008
Detroit, MI

Those screenshots don't appear to do this release justice (no offense to poster).

Will be interested to see how it looks using media player screencaps by the reviewers.
JC480's Home Theatre Gallery
Receiver: Denon AVR-2309ci | Speakers: Polk RC80i | RC85i | LCi-C | Elemental Designs A2-300
BD Player & TV: Pioneer BDP-51FD | Pioneer KRP-600M
PowerProtection: Leviton 8480-00W|7280-00W | Cutler Hammer CHSA
Old 05-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #13

May 2010
Vancouver, B.C.

Thank you for your comments - jc480 - your right about the screen shots, for one the images are not as bright as they should be. I was trying to give some idea but they are not truly representative. Perhaps someone has seen a good print more recently, that might help.

Last edited by KyotoKid; 05-10-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Bartow, FL

My copy just shipped today from Amazon!
TV: Sony KDL-52XBR9
Audio: Sony DAV-HDX576WF HTIB
Computer: Sony Vaio svE17127CXB
Gaming: Sony "Fat" PlayStation 3 500GB / Sony PlayStation 4 1TB / Sony PlayStation Vita
PSN ID: Toyamaha
Old 05-10-2010, 03:53 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

for the person who was able to find HANG EM HIGH early, did you find it at a Best Buy or what store? I was checking Best Buy online and I have an odd suspicion they won't have it stocked, also how much was it?
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60 Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Old 05-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #16

Mar 2010

mgm really needs to sell their back catalog to a studio that isn't in financial despair right now, so alot of their great titles can be properly released. the screen shots of this movie look decent for a film this old but at the same time this is one of my favorite movies and i would have love to seen some meticulous care in the restoration of it. i guess ill have to settle for this version for the time being...
Old 05-13-2010, 02:13 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

got my copy of this today.
what I have seen so far has exceeded my low expectations.
condition of whatever print they used is decent with some damage specs, etc. every so often, but not terribly obtrusive.
looks fairly bright, has decent detail in the closeups;
is definitely soft overall, but imo has a kind of mellow filmlike appearance
moreso than I was expecting.
no-one will be blown away by any means, but it's not the disaster it could have been.

Last edited by Arkadin; 05-13-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Anyone find Hang Em High at any local stores? Looks like my local Barnes stores don't even stock it. Surprised FOX didnt ship it out to WALMART with the Mel Brooks films. Eastwood films always sell well at Walmarts and Targets. (I Thought)
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60 Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Old 05-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #19

May 2009
Macon, Georgia

Found a copy at our local Movie Stop. I got the only one in the store. I am enjoying it right now.

Doug
Old 05-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #20

Jul 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Really trying to find this one in a local shop, especially one that could price match Amazon's $12.99 price right now.

Sadly, I called a Best Buy and they said none of their local stores were carrying it and that it was online only.

What gives?!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America