Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 05-11-2010, 03:18 AM   #1

Nov 2009
Eastern NC
Default Blu ray to cripple component video outputs

This is a quote from Home Theater Magazine, page 14:
Quote:
Blu ray players that are manufactured after 2010 will down-convert high-definition content to standard-definition resolution through their analog component outputs. And no companies will be able to wiggle out; the licensing administrator for Advanced Access Content System (AACS, the digital rights management used in blu ray) will require the crippling of analog outputs.

However, the draconian new requirement won't apply to HDMI outputs. They are deemed sufficiently secure to continue to carry high-def signals at full resolution. The new rule will affect those who own TVs, projectors, and A/V receivers that use analog component video for their primary high-def interface. Some installers prefer component video for HD projector installations because it's more robust than HDMI over long cable runs.

Why this, why now? The major movie studios have long cast suspicious glances at analog interfaces in general because of the s0-called analog hole. They believe that analog interfaces are less secure than HDMI. This change has been in the making for several years, and it's happening on a schedule.

The new AACS adopter agreement says that licensed players that are manufactured after December 31, 2010 must downconvert HD to SD via component video. Existing models may be manufactured and sold until December 31, 2011, but those sold in between the two deadlines activate a periodic update that will limit analog video to SD.

A further analog sunset is scheduled for December 31, 2013. After that date, no licensed player may pass any decrypted content to the analog outputs, whether that content is HD or SD.
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP), Onkyo TX-SR805,
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray, Polk Audio LSi9,
Polk Audio LSiC, Sony SS-MB100H,
Pioneer CS-X500-Q,
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub), Harmony 628,
Pioneer PL-514 turntable
Old 05-11-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

None of this is new. It's been public for years
Old 05-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

Maybe a stupid question, but the analog hole, what as far as copying content or what, I am confused a bit?
I prefer HDMI anyways as it's only one thin wire as opposed to five thick wires.
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"...but you will always be homosexual Michael, always, until the day you die."

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."
Old 05-11-2010, 04:36 AM   #4

Nov 2009
Eastern NC

Component cables are three wires (red, blue, & green).
Some people still have older tvs, and component is their only way of getting HD. Some of the early sets didn't even have DVI.
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP), Onkyo TX-SR805,
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray, Polk Audio LSi9,
Polk Audio LSiC, Sony SS-MB100H,
Pioneer CS-X500-Q,
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub), Harmony 628,
Pioneer PL-514 turntable
Old 05-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but the analog hole, what as far as copying content or what, I am confused a bit?
I prefer HDMI anyways as it's only one thin wire as opposed to five thick wires.
it is not as much an analogue hole but a none encrypted hole. Analogue (since all the digital is encrypted) can be connected to any device. That device might be a recorder, and if you can record it you can share it. In essence the same way someone could connect a DVD to a VHS(without macrovision) using composite/s-video and use it to make copies, someone can use analogue and the right DVR to have a digital copy of the film. By restricting analogue to DVD quality the copy will be DVD quality (and since DVD is broken) it does not affect anything.

this applies to new models after Jan1 2011 anything other then HDMI will need to be 1/4 resolution (i.e. 540p)

Last edited by Anthony P; 05-11-2010 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

Thanks for the great answer.
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"...but you will always be homosexual Michael, always, until the day you die."

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."
Old 05-13-2010, 12:43 AM   #7

Jan 2008
Southern California

This has been referred to as the “Analog Sunset” by the AACS licensing authority, where the analog ports on Blu-ray players will be phased out entirely. There is a more complete article titled, "2010: The Year AACS and HDMI Kill Off Component Video" on
Audioholics' website.

If you own a TV or a projector that has only component video inputs, my suggestion is to go and buy an additional Blu-ray player by the end of the year before you are doomed to watch your programs in 480i. I am so glad I still own one Beta and several VHS VCR's.

These are the two provisions by the stupid AACS authority who plan to punish legitimate users and hurt BD sales in the process:
Quote:
2.2.2.1 Analog Sunset – 2010. With the exception of Existing Models, any Licensed Player manufactured after December 31, 2010 shall limit analog video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to SD Interlace Modes [composite video, s-video, 480i component video and 576i video] only.

2.2.2.2 Analog Sunset – 2013. No Licensed Player that passes Decrypted AACS Content to analog video outputs may be manufactured or sold by Adopter after December 31, 2013.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

Quote:
These are the two provisions by the stupid AACS authority who plan to punish legitimate users and hurt BD sales in the process:
The number of HD sets without HDMI ports still in operation at the time where one of these devices will break is so few, it doesn't really matter
Old 05-15-2010, 02:35 AM   #9
Special Member

Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl

I'm not upgrading my component only HDTV until it dies out, so this isn't great news. I'm sure they will try to sneak this by on the old players with a firmware upgrade so I have to be cautious about that. I didn't buy my Blu-ray player and collection to see them at 480i. Thankfully HD Fury is available so even when this happens I won't mind too much.

Strange that Blu-ray won't be able to output HD through component but HD Satellite and cable will. I can imagine people hooking up their new Blu-ray players to their component HDTV and finding out that the HD Satellite or Cable they have provides a better image.

All this while people will still be copying Blu-ray movies digitally on their computers
Old 05-15-2010, 02:40 AM   #10
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

Quote:
I'm not upgrading my component only HDTV until it dies out, so this isn't great news. I'm sure they will try to sneak this by on the old players with a firmware upgrade so I have to be cautious about that. I didn't buy my Blu-ray player and collection to see them at 480i. Thankfully HD Fury is available so even when this happens I won't mind too much.
They will not be inserting this into a firmware update.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:42 AM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

The horse is already out of the barn, considering the Blu-ray encryption has already been broken at the digital level. This appears nothing more now than an attempt by the display manufacturers to get a few owners to upgrade older HDTVs.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:44 AM   #12
Special Member

Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kleist View Post
They will not be inserting this into a firmware update.
Well that is comforting thanks. I thought they would sneak it in.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:52 AM   #13
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

Quote:
The horse is already out of the barn, considering the Blu-ray encryption has already been broken at the digital level. This appears nothing more now than an attempt by the display manufacturers to get a few owners to upgrade older HDTVs.
The content companies are the ones hot for this, not the hardware people. The people who have HDTVs without HDMI are very few and far between, and typically are owned by gearhound types who upgrade a lot anyway. I know there are a few who don't
Old 05-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
Special Member

Apr 2010
The State That Started A Nation

Quote:
The content companies are the ones hot for this, not the hardware people. The people who have HDTVs without HDMI are very few and far between, and typically are owned by gearhound types who upgrade a lot anyway. I know there are a few who don't
In my extended family, there are 6 HDTV's without HDMI, all 32-inch Sony XBR CRT's. Now, these sets really can't display full HD on so small a size, but I'm sure that the owners will notice the change in resolution from 1080i to 480i I have one of these 6 sets in my den, and I'll make sure I have a suitable player before the sunset.
Pioneer Elite PRO-1130HD 50" | Onkyo TX-NR3007 | Parasound Halo A52 Amp | Oppo BDP-83 Multi-Region | Apple TV 160 GB | Sonos 6-Zone Music System & Monarchy DIP 24/96 | PS3 80 GB | Motorola QIP6416-2 HDTV/DVR (FIOS) | Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 4TB Music Server | Monster Power HTS 5100, HTS 350 (Plasma) | Harmony 1100 R/F Remote |||| Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home | Sonus Faber Solo Home | Sonus Faber Wall Home | Velodyne HGS-15 | Audioquest Bedrock cables

Join the Reference Volume Club!
Old 05-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
Special Member

Apr 2010
The State That Started A Nation

I just thought of something - would the new law apply to these types of devices: HDMI-Ypbpr-Component-RGB-Converter ?

If not, then this might be an out for us component-only crowd after sunset.
Pioneer Elite PRO-1130HD 50" | Onkyo TX-NR3007 | Parasound Halo A52 Amp | Oppo BDP-83 Multi-Region | Apple TV 160 GB | Sonos 6-Zone Music System & Monarchy DIP 24/96 | PS3 80 GB | Motorola QIP6416-2 HDTV/DVR (FIOS) | Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 4TB Music Server | Monster Power HTS 5100, HTS 350 (Plasma) | Harmony 1100 R/F Remote |||| Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home | Sonus Faber Solo Home | Sonus Faber Wall Home | Velodyne HGS-15 | Audioquest Bedrock cables

Join the Reference Volume Club!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #16
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
This has been referred to as the “Analog Sunset” by the AACS licensing authority
there is more then just the sunset, there is also ICT which exists on all players. And agreed not to be used until 2011. ICT will apply to the titles, if it is flagged on then the player will need to downscale no matter how old the player is.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #17
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
This has been a part of AACS before BD or HD-DVD even came out.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #18
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
The content companies are the ones hot for this, not the hardware people.
I think HW people want to see them go just as much. If you are building a device (be it TV, BD, receiver...) for that one input (or output) would you rather have HDMI or 1 HDMI + 1 composite + 3 component + 2 (or 6) audio (maybe even s-video, optical, coax and VGA )?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #19
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

Well, you're right it does save a lot of money The point is that this is definately a content side idea and not the HW people
Old 05-16-2010, 03:43 AM   #20

Sep 2007

I bet you that most of the players will only have an HDMI output for video.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology