Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$47.87
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lost After Dark (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
Hammer Horror Classics, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$38.47
Team America: World Police (Blu-ray)
$9.98
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Escape from Alcatraz (Blu-ray)
$9.98
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Space Dandy: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$37.39
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Which version of Star Wars Blu-ray will you be purchasing (or not)?
The Complete Star Wars Saga 1,335 72.48%
The Prequel Box Set 20 1.09%
The Original Trilogy Box Set 110 5.97%
Not Purchasing Star Wars Blu-ray 377 20.47%
Voters: 1842. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #29941
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Merlin,
I think by just your comments alone, you have most likely convinced most of the Star Wars blu-ray boycotters to change their mind. I don't think any of the boycotters will admit it though. I practically could care less about Darth Vader's NOOOO now. You have psyched me up for this release!
Nope.

Not that I'm "boycotting" actually, but all the moronic changes just de-psyched me enough to cancel my pre-order, and given that it was a -given- for me that the PQ ought to be excellent to start with, I haven't been "re-psyched" to the least.

Still relegated to "will buy it when I get to it" instead of "must have now".

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)
Old 09-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #29942
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010
Weston-super-Mare, UK

Bit off topic, but its funny how al cos has a Snake Plisken avatar and then you post with another Plisken avatar.

Anyways, I'm getting really impatient now, and I'm just hoping that Amazon decides to dispatch it tomorrow so I may get it monday-tuesday. If not, I'll just buy it from a super market then return the one I get from Amazon.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #29943
Special Member

Dec 2008

I will wait for the next time the unaltered trilogy hits BD..may it be after 10 years. But as ith the DVD's, I'm sure we will see new BD's after 2-6 years.

In the meantime I will enjoy of my unaltered trilogy (2006 limited ed. DVD's) that I just bought a couple of days ago, will be very very happy next week when I can see the unaltered ones after so many many years. And I got the separate OOP DVD's for less than the trilogy BD's.

Now you may think I am insane of getting non anamorphic DVD's in 2011. But the fact is that I have tested non anamorphic DVD's at my releatives equipment - it is the best place to show those.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #29944
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2011

Just watched the end of ROTS... what a joyless piece of crap.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #29945
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertron View Post
Bit off topic, but its funny how al cos has a Snake Plisken avatar and then you post with another Plisken avatar.

Anyways, I'm getting really impatient now, and I'm just hoping that Amazon decides to dispatch it tomorrow so I may get it monday-tuesday. If not, I'll just buy it from a super market then return the one I get from Amazon.
But one is an impostor.
[Show spoiler] Notice how one has the patch on the right and one has it on the left
Old 09-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #29946

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
But one is an impostor.
[Show spoiler] Notice how one has the patch on the right and one has it on the left
It's a conspiracy!!!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #29947
Expert Member

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Cool. And there's definitately no on-screen prompts for off-screen sounds. I have a few DVD's with tracks that go under the actors talking and most of them are in black bars, so we've dodged a bullet. Can you change subtitles at will or do you have to go back to the Subtitle pop-up?
yup, and just change the subtitles using the subtitles button on the remote. That did however lead to the earlier problem of losing the alien translation subs, which only came back by going through the main menu again.
Laugh it up Fuzzball
Old 09-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #29948
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
But one is an impostor.
Just made more sense that Snake would look toward the forum rather than out

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)
Old 09-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #29949

Nov 2007
Send a message via MSN to Beowulf85

As somebody else in this forum -- I've just decided that I will cancel my amazon order, and pick it up direct from the store rather...
PS3 60gigs - Sony BRAVIA KDL-32SL130
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...p?id=673840847
Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #29950
Power Member

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinpants View Post
Its not like that though
Her face isn't completely smooth? It becomes textured and porous "in motion"?
"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." - Tyler Durden
Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #29951

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf85 View Post
As somebody else in this forum -- I've just decided that I will cancel my amazon order, and pick it up direct from the store rather...
High five!!! xD
Old 09-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #29952
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsometal View Post
NOPE! Will never buy any more Star Wars until the OT is restored to it's original glory.
Guess you will never be buying any more star wars stuff then, you're dreaming if you ever think it will happen. don't hold your breath.
"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges"
(The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates)
Tacitus, circa 100 AD
Old 09-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #29953
Power Member

Sep 2009
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinpants View Post
Yup, miles better. It plays in a window so has borders around the whole image, but the quality is great. Luke Skywalker animated is hilariously bad as is Han LOL.
You said the cartoon was under the Boba Fett feature. When asked about the Holiday Special in one of the interviews (or whatever) from Lucasfilm, they implied an Easter Egg. I wonder if we may get the whole special as an EE since the cartoon is part of the Boba Fett feature. Hmmm....it would be nice, but I won't hold my breath either.
Sony 55" EX720/ WEGA 51"
Pioneer Elite VSX-43/ Yamaha RX-V565 Receiver
Sony Slim PS3/ Samsung BD-P1500/ Sony BDP-S360
Sony 400 BD/DVD, 400 DVD/CD & 200 CD players
DirecTV HD-DVR/ Harmony 880 Remote
Pioneer SP-BS22, C22 and SP-FS52s
Polk PSW111 sub
Old 09-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #29954
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

George Lucas has made it quite clear that the special edition Star Wars flicks are the vision as he intended the trilogy to be seen, and if that's the case, I doubt he's ever going to change his mind and give everyone the version he doesn't 'intend' for you to see (anymore).
Old 09-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #29955
Expert Member

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Jay View Post
Her face isn't completely smooth? It becomes textured and porous "in motion"?
I haven't watched all of TPM, but there was little to no evidence of agressive DNR in what I have seen. I looked at the specific scenes captured, and they were fine. Wrinkles, pores the lot. There must have been DNR because the film is virtually grain free, but it looks like it has been done with care. In motion, or freeze frame, Qui Gon does not look like the waxwork model in 'that shot'. His beard is defined and unclumped, he has wrinkles around the eyes and forehead and detail is clear. Same for the lovely Portman.

I have to keep saying though that I am no expert on this. It looks great to my eyes, an expert may well disgaree. All I do know is it looks nothing like those horrendous screen captures that are probably doctored, or poorly captured or excessively compressed causing detail loss.

For the vast majority, this will be reference quality and AOTC and ROTS only improve on it.

The OT has visible grain, not in a distracting way, but for films of that era and age, they are exceptional.
Laugh it up Fuzzball
Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #29956
Expert Member

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgon View Post
You said the cartoon was under the Boba Fett feature. When asked about the Holiday Special in one of the interviews (or whatever) from Lucasfilm, they implied an Easter Egg. I wonder if we may get the whole special as an EE since the cartoon is part of the Boba Fett feature. Hmmm....it would be nice, but I won't hold my breath either.
What they actually said was you would have to look for it, and by god you do, There is so much to wade through, and it is not signposted. I put the directions up on a previous post of how to get to it.

I haven't found any eggs, and that isn't for the want of looking. Does BDJava even have the ability to do it?
Laugh it up Fuzzball
Old 09-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #29957
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
Guess you will never be buying any more star wars stuff then, you're dreaming if you ever think it will happen. don't hold your breath.
I have little doubt it'll happen at some point. George is a good businessman and he's milking his fanbase just like Apple does.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #29958

Nov 2010
New York
USA Massive Star Wars 3D remakes may be cut short

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-ent...y-be-cut-short

The ambitious project to recreate and re-release all six Star Wars films in 3D may not materialize as originally expected.

Instead, Lucasfilm producer Rick McCallum said it may now only be one title - The Phantom Menace - that gets the remastered honor.

It's not a confirmed scaling back just yet, but McCallum admitted it is possible if viewer demand is not as high as it would like.

In an interview with a website called Ceskapozice.cz, the producer said the plan is to release every Star Wars film, in chronological order, in 3D, at a rate of "one a year, if they work."

However, "If they don't then there will be just one." Because the studio will be converting them to 3D and releasing them theatrically in chronological order, the only confirmed title is thus Episode I, The Phantom Menace.

The 2D to 3D conversion process hasn't exactly proven to be a big hit among moviegoers. Flicks like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans drew scathing reviews for what was seen to be a last-minute effort to bilk more money out of theater patrons. Neither film was shot in 3D, and the conversion process was cheap and, to many, not worth the extra money.

But Avatar director James Cameron has said the conversion process can be successful if filmmakers actually do it right. Cameron plans to re-release Titanic in 3D next year, and promises it will be a worthy 3D experience, even though the film was obviously shot using 2D equipment.

Likewise, George Lucas wants the Star Wars 3D experiment to be worthwhile enough for viewers to go back into the theaters and pay to see the movies all over again.
Equipment in the Family Room
Denon AVR-1611 Receiver
Sony SS- MF550H Towers
Sony SS-CN550H Center Speaker
Sony SS-MB150 Bookshelf Speakers for Surround
Velodyne Subwoofer VX-10
Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray Player / Samsung LN37A450 720p HDTV
Sony RM-VL600 Universal remote control
Old 09-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #29959
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
Just made more sense that Snake would look toward the forum rather than out
sure sure, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenny View Post
It's a conspiracy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf85 View Post
I was actually thinking of going this route. I went from a amazon preorder of the entire saga, canceled it for the original trilogy, and now I kind of want the entire Sage. I do enjoy aspects in each of the new films as well. Plus when my boys are ready I want to watch with them. 5 is probably a little young but he loves the Lego Star War games so one day he'll get the real deal.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #29960

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
George Lucas has made it quite clear that the special edition Star Wars flicks are the vision as he intended the trilogy to be seen, and if that's the case, I doubt he's ever going to change his mind and give everyone the version he doesn't 'intend' for you to see (anymore).
Besides, if the OT was someday released, you know he wouldn't be able to leave it alone.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America