COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Uta no Prince-sama 2000%: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Hawaii Five-0: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
$23.24
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Which version of Star Wars Blu-ray will you be purchasing (or not)?
The Complete Star Wars Saga 1,335 72.48%
The Prequel Box Set 20 1.09%
The Original Trilogy Box Set 110 5.97%
Not Purchasing Star Wars Blu-ray 377 20.47%
Voters: 1842. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #29941
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinpants View Post
Even better, they are positioned according to the character speaking. You will see what I mean when you see it. Never seen that before.
That's the SDH subtitles track I assume (as well as stuff like LIGHTSABER IGNITES in brackets), they wouldn't do that for a normal subtitles track.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 09-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #29942

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
That's the SDH subtitles track I assume (as well as stuff like LIGHTSABER IGNITES in brackets), they wouldn't do that for a normal subtitles track.
Nope, it is the normal track not the descriptive for hard of hearing. Cool huh?

Actually, just looked again, it is just English for the deaf and hard of hearing (only option), but not a descriptive one so no bracketed bits to describe on screen stuff.
Laugh it up Fuzzball

Last edited by Merlinpants; 09-09-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #29943

Jun 2011

PQ on empire is excellent. You can really see the scars on Hamills face now. Must have been some car crash!
Laugh it up Fuzzball
Old 09-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #29944
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
I wouldn't like it, but I can definitely see him doing that at some point. He wants as much consistency between all 6 films.
Well you would think if that were the case he would've made sure the....oh I dunno...the LIGHTSABERS would be a good place to start!
"Rocky Top you'll always be, home sweet home to me! Good ol' Rocky Top! Rocky Top Tennessee!"
Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #29945
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
PQ on empire is excellent. You can really see the scars on Hamills face now. Must have been some car crash!
Merlin,
I think by just your comments alone, you have most likely convinced most of the Star Wars blu-ray boycotters to change their mind. I don't think any of the boycotters will admit it though. I practically could care less about Darth Vader's NOOOO now. You have psyched me up for this release!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #29946

Aug 2010
Chicago

As weird as it may be for Lucas to tinker with his films, I have to disagree with those that say he's changing his film's history. As long as they are his films, it's still the history of the films, including 3-D conversion. 100 years from now when all this is written down it will be noted what he did to his fillms and when.

Contrast that to someone who colorizes a black and white film years after the original maker is gone, THAT is tinkering with a film's history.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #29947

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Thanks again,

And does the Darth Vader "no" scene at the end of ROTJ on a home theater seem not as bad as it does on youtube?
Curious - how could it seem any BETTER?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #29948

Jul 2009

Quote:
Merlin,
I think by just your comments alone, you have most likely convinced most of the Star Wars blu-ray boycotters to change their mind. I don't think any of the boycotters will admit it though. I practically could care less about Darth Vader's NOOOO now. You have psyched me up for this release!
Nope. Not buying this crap.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #29949
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Well you would think if that were the case he would've made sure the....oh I dunno...the LIGHTSABERS would be a good place to start!
Yeah, maybe this will be fixed one day, but my guess is he considers them minor issues compared to other things he's changed.

I will say I am very glad he got rid of the puppet used in Phantom Menace - that thing was atrocious.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #29950
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseremet View Post
Curious - how could it seem any BETTER?
The audio seemed strange on the youtube clip as if a fan was dubbing it in there, like a practical joke. I was wondering if it's mixed better when we hear it on our surround sound home theater speakers or if it sounds more in the background (apparently not, it's gonna be pretty obvious when we hear it, according to Merlin).
Old 09-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #29951

Jul 2009

Quote:
The audio seemed strange on the youtube clip as if a fan was dubbing it in there, like a practical joke. I was wondering if it's mixed better when we hear it on our surround sound home theater speakers or if it sounds more in the background (apparently not, it's gonna be pretty obvious when we hear it, according to Merlin).
I think throwing ANYTHING in that space there is a ruiner and will make it seem strange. Vader's silence is deafening. Saying nothing says everything.

I, too, thought it was a practical joke. The fact that we waited a couple days and still thought it was only to find out it wasn't only made it all the more cruel.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #29952
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseremet View Post
I think throwing ANYTHING in that space there is a ruiner and will make it seem strange. Vader's silence is deafening. Saying nothing says everything.

I, too, thought it was a practical joke. The fact that we waited a couple days and still thought it was only to find out it wasn't only made it all the more cruel.
Yeah, I also was partly thinking/hoping that it was a joke. But alas, it was not.

Maybe in the 3D verion Lucas will get rid of the "Nooooo!" and change it to Vader yelling, "I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"
Old 09-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #29953
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemave View Post
As weird as it may be for Lucas to tinker with his films, I have to disagree with those that say he's changing his film's history. As long as they are his films, it's still the history of the films, including 3-D conversion. 100 years from now when all this is written down it will be noted what he did to his fillms and when.

Contrast that to someone who colorizes a black and white film years after the original maker is gone, THAT is tinkering with a film's history.
Up to this point I am unhappy with exactly 3 changes that Lucas has made...

Han/Greedo (I don't have a problem with not having Han shoot first. The problem is that the "fixed" scene looks bad. Even to this day they still can't make it look convincing. Han does some kind of strange jerk back that is so fake looking.)

Jedi Rocks (VERY bad CGI. The "laptinek" music sounded very "otherworldly". Jedi Rocks just sounds like a typical brass band with trumpets and saxophones. The scene was better when the music was just in the back ground and not in forefront.)

Hayden Christiansen at the end of Jedi. (Makes NO sense! If Lucas wants to go this route, he needs to have young Obi Wan and young Yoda as ghosts as well. The explanation that Anakin truly "died" when he turned into Vader is ultra weak).

Besides these 3, I have been perfectly happy with all of Lucas' fixes and changes. Even the Vader "Nooooooo" in Jedi is fine with me.
"Rocky Top you'll always be, home sweet home to me! Good ol' Rocky Top! Rocky Top Tennessee!"
Old 09-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #29954
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Nope, it is the normal track not the descriptive for hard of hearing. Cool huh?

Actually, just looked again, it is just English for the deaf and hard of hearing (only option), but not a descriptive one so no bracketed bits to describe on screen stuff.
Cool. And there's definitately no on-screen prompts for off-screen sounds. I have a few DVD's with tracks that go under the actors talking and most of them are in black bars, so we've dodged a bullet. Can you change subtitles at will or do you have to go back to the Subtitle pop-up?
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 09-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #29955
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Send a message via AIM to andyman1970 Send a message via Yahoo to andyman1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKurtovich View Post
lmao

Found a thread on IMDB's ROTJ boards that suggest new changes for Mr. Lucas. Some are actually kind of funny.

(Ep.V) Change Darth Vader's line from 'You don't know how powerful the dark side can be.' to 'From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.' And add: 'It's over, Luke. I have the high ground.'
(Ep.V) Replace Han Solo's line 'I know.' with 'I love you even more.'
(Ep.V) Add some really cool shots of Yoda traing Luke in lightsaber battle. While we're at it, just get rid of the Yoda doll. It looks soooo fake.
(Ep.VI) Add a scene where Leia doesn't believe she is actually Luke's sister/Vader's daughter. Then have them run a Midichlorian count analysis to convince her.
(Ep.VI) Rework the 'ghost scene': Ewan McGregor replaces Sir Alec Guiness, also Ep.I Yoda will make a reappearance. Also, Qui-Gon and Palpatine will appear. Big group hug. Credits.
(Ep.VI) When Leia brings Han Solo out of Carbon-Freeze, and Han says "I can't see", have Leia respond with "that's because love has blinded you".
The only problem with that is Palpatine was ALWAYS a bad guy so no need to put him in there. Maybe add Amadala? and have big family reunion.
Still waiting on Pink Floyd:The Wall (1982) Blu-ray release.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #29956
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
I will say I am very glad he got rid of the puppet used in Phantom Menace - that thing was atrocious.
Same here. Good god what were they thinking with that thing?? How did that EVER get approved. It looked like Yoda's drunk cousin or something.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #29957

Oct 2009
Charlotte, NC

Quote:
Merlin,
NOPE! Will never buy any more Star Wars until the OT is restored to it's original glory.
A/V Equipment:
Panasonic TC-P60ST50 Plasma Display
Denon AVR-891 A/V Receiver
Energy Take Classic Speakers
Playstation 3 Slim
Xbox 360
Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #29958
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Send a message via AIM to andyman1970 Send a message via Yahoo to andyman1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Up to this point I am unhappy with exactly 3 changes that Lucas has made...

Han/Greedo (I don't have a problem with not having Han shoot first. The problem is that the "fixed" scene looks bad. Even to this day they still can't make it look convincing. Han does some kind of strange jerk back that is so fake looking.)

Jedi Rocks (VERY bad CGI. The "laptinek" music sounded very "otherworldly". Jedi Rocks just sounds like a typical brass band with trumpets and saxophones. The scene was better when the music was just in the back ground and not in forefront.)

Hayden Christiansen at the end of Jedi. (Makes NO sense! If Lucas wants to go this route, he needs to have young Obi Wan and young Yoda as ghosts as well. The explanation that Anakin truly "died" when he turned into Vader is ultra weak).

Besides these 3, I have been perfectly happy with all of Lucas' fixes and changes. Even the Vader "Nooooooo" in Jedi is fine with me.
I agree, I guess Lucas didn't think that "older" Anakin had redeemed himself and died a hero by saving his son. I just wish he could have seen Leia and told her he loved her and that she looked like her mother before he died.
Still waiting on Pink Floyd:The Wall (1982) Blu-ray release.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #29959

Apr 2009

Quote:
Merlin,
I think by just your comments alone, you have most likely convinced most of the Star Wars blu-ray boycotters to change their mind. I don't think any of the boycotters will admit it though. )
yeah keep on thinking.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #29960
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
AZ

Quote:
Merlin,
Nope.

Not that I'm "boycotting" actually, but all the moronic changes just de-psyched me enough to cancel my pre-order, and given that it was a -given- for me that the PQ ought to be excellent to start with, I haven't been "re-psyched" to the least.

Still relegated to "will buy it when I get to it" instead of "must have now".

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America