Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$52.99
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Malcolm X (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Wolverine 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
The Imitation Game (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Life of Pi 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Boyhood (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Mr. Brooks (Blu-ray)
$5.00
The Knick: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Which version of Star Wars Blu-ray will you be purchasing (or not)?
The Complete Star Wars Saga 1,335 72.48%
The Prequel Box Set 20 1.09%
The Original Trilogy Box Set 110 5.97%
Not Purchasing Star Wars Blu-ray 377 20.47%
Voters: 1842. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #40541
Expert Member

Jan 2010
Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeiBook86 View Post
It's interesting to read about the articles going around about Lucas 'retiring'. In one snippet it mentions how the fans hate him whenever he edits something. Hah!

I honestly don't think there would be nearly as much hate for the man if he would just re-release the original versions in a modern format. I can live with the original LDs and DVDs, but sure it would be nice to have a BD of the originals.

But as others have said, it's his film he can do what he wishes. But I don't think he's done with movies yet. Let alone Star Wars. I hope Star Wars continues on forever, cartoons, TV series, comics, books, somehow, in some form, it will live on.
I agree with you. Most of the hate he gets is self inflicted. If he released the originals in a modern format, more than half the hate would evaporate. If you want your fans to love you, give them what they want. If not, you have what we have here.

Anyway, I think the PT hate he gets really boils down to his choice of what story he chose to tell. He started too early (TPM doesn't really accomplish much in the grand scheme of the series) and he skipped the most interesting period (Between ROTS and ANH). But it is what it is.

I like George, I do, I just think he might want to stick to producing (which he was very effective at, i.e. Indy and the last two OT films). Seems his best work is accomplished when he works with others.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #40542
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
As for other posters complaints about Anakin as a kid in Episode 1, I agree in part. But I think most of the complaints are from men afraid that if they admit to liking a movie that features a little boy, that they won't seem "macho".
I think it has more to do with this:

Darth Vader would never say "yipee".
Old 01-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #40543
Expert Member

Sep 2009
Europe
Send a message via Yahoo to NYorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Would he also say "noooooooooooo....?"
Panasonic plasma 60ST60
PS3 120 GB
Tannoy Mercury V4
Monitor Audio MSW10
Pioneer VSX-521
Old 01-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #40544
Expert Member

May 2010
Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay444 View Post
He started too early (TPM doesn't really accomplish much in the grand scheme of the series) and he skipped the most interesting period (Between ROTS and ANH). But it is what it is.

I like George, I do, I just think he might want to stick to producing (which he was very effective at, i.e. Indy and the last two OT films). Seems his best work is accomplished when he works with others.
Yeah I think Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones could have been combined storywise, leaving ROTS as the "Empire Strikes Back" of the prequels and giving us a great 3rd film taking place between ROTS and ANH. I think yet another big issue is that people really wanted to see more than 2 minutes of Vader.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #40545
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin

Quote:

Little kids do strange things, I just agree with the person that said the PT would've been better if the events of TPM had been a bit of an opening for AoTC and then the last third of AoTC and the first two thirds of RoTS had been the second film. Then they could've had the fall of Anakin and the Jedi and the last 2/3 of RoTS could've been the events between RoTS and ANH. That's coming from someone who liked the PT quite a bit but still thinks it could've been better.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old 01-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #40546

Jan 2008
Kansas City, Mo.
Quote:

He wasn't Darth Vader, he was a small child. Good gravy! Now if he was in the suit and said that, then yeah, outta place, but everyone was an innocent child at one time.
"I can't live the buttoned down life like all of you! I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles! Sure, I might offend a few of the blue-noses with my cocky stride and musky odor - oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called 'City Fathers' who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about what's to be done with this Monkey_Boy?!"
Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #40547

Sep 2011
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Boy View Post
He wasn't Darth Vader, he was a small child. Good gravy! Now if he was in the suit and said that, then yeah, outta place, but everyone was an innocent child at one time.
Exactly! I don't know why PT haters never admit to that.
Sig under construction
Optoma HD25e 2D/3D Projector
46" Sony Bravia HDTV
PS3 1TB
PS4 2TB Wii U Sony Blu-ray player
and some cheap speakers lol
Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #40548
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
I think it might a chicken and egg situation. Hard to know whether George wanted the Pod Race because he thought it was a good idea for the movie or whether he wanted it for the videogame.

When I saw the pod race, I did think it was a bit too long, but I really thought he was trying to replicate the excitement from the 'cycle' scenes in the forest in Episode VI, which were well reviewed at the time.
I agree, although I was pretty much a kid at the time, I loved the racing-idea and the scene itself.
But... yeah, maybe I might not have realized that it might not add something to the story.
However, I understood what it was meant to show and it was just a great action-scene too.
Like you said, as with the scenes in the forest, now that you mention it, it's quite similar.
It definitely shows "It's Star Wars".

Oh, and I LOVED the game on PC and I'm still hoping for a new one with updated graphics and more physics.
Back then, no money was made from me anyway.
I didn't have a job, and besides that, I burned the game to CD-ROM...

Quote:
As for other posters complaints about Anakin as a kid in Episode 1, I agree in part. But I think most of the complaints are from men afraid that if they admit to liking a movie that features a little boy, that they won't seem "macho".
I've always wondered what they didn't like about him, I just thought his acting.
He didn't bother me, and AGAIN, maybe because I was about his age or slightly older.
But to me, he was a really interesting character, I was really wondering what would become of him
and also what Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were planning to do with him.

I also didn't realize at the time that he would become Darth Vader. After a while I was like "WHAT?!".
Guess now I know... lol Probably one of the biggest spoilers to me, because of something that's treated as common knowledge. XD

But I guess I'd probably think a little differently of it too now I'm like 12 years older and care for a good story too.

Quote:

As said by two or more posters above, he was a child.
Doesn't it occur to anyone that he WASN'T Darth Vader yet and it's possibly to portray... oh I don't know,
that he was generally a playful and happy child? (And yes men, that's apparently where "big bad Darth Vader" came from.)*

I know it's kinda cheesy the way he acted it out, but... syeah... as if the older movies don't have a bit of a "B-movie" quality to them at times.

*I don't know about age-differences and what not,
but it could have been that Vader and Luke Skywalker shared their toys, so to speak.
I read somewhere, and excuse the strange comparison, that Hitler played in the sandbox with some good person I forgot the name of.
I believe he was in (obviously left) politics or Jewish, I don't know, it completely slipped my mind.
All I remember is the clash was ridiculous. Also that difference in child and grown-up.
So Vader as Anakin being a child and yelling "yippee" once in a time... not so strange.
The way it was performed, sure, that's debatable...
"Many great films fail and many shitty movies make a lot of money." - John Landis

BD Wishlist: - Prince of Egypt - Hunchback of Notre Dame - Beverly Hills Cop - Bowfinger - Multiplicity - One Hour Photo - Series: - Over There - Flashpoint - Monk - Friends - My Name Is Earl - Music: - Maiden Rock In Rio - MetallicA S&M - Godsmack Changes - Ramms+ein Berlin - SlipKnoT Disasterpieces - Ozzy At Budokan - Satriani SF

Last edited by Damage Inc.; 01-24-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #40549
Expert Member

Jul 2011
Singapore (via London)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambaldi47 View Post
Yeah I think Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones could have been combined storywise, leaving ROTS as the "Empire Strikes Back" of the prequels and giving us a great 3rd film taking place between ROTS and ANH.
That would have been perfect. Well, also assuming he'd have done a much better job with them as films that the ones we ended up with.
Now I've got They Live! on blu, I really need Deep Rising...
Old 01-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #40550
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anakin View Post
Little kids do strange things...
Just because a character could conceivably have done it, doesn't mean Lucas has to show us. This is fantasy, after all, not documentary. Some (many) of the things included in the prequels don't advance the story, and even detract from it (and from character development).

I mean, I trust Obi Wan et al went to the bathroom occasionally, but it doesn't need to end up on film (heck, we hardly ever even see them eating).

Last edited by thebard; 01-25-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #40551
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Quote:
Just like we don't see character's go to the bathroom or shower there are certain things characters do that we don't need to see. No one is saying its out of the question he would say that as a kid. What we are saying is that when we said we wanted to see the origin of vader at no time did we say we care about his 9 year old self exclaiming 'yipee!'.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #40552
Expert Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anakin View Post
Little kids do strange things, I just agree with the person that said the PT would've been better if the events of TPM had been a bit of an opening for AoTC and then the last third of AoTC and the first two thirds of RoTS had been the second film. Then they could've had the fall of Anakin and the Jedi and the last 2/3 of RoTS could've been the events between RoTS and ANH. That's coming from someone who liked the PT quite a bit but still thinks it could've been better.
Yeah, I thought one of the problems with The Phantom Menace was that it almost feels like a waste of time. When we see nineteen year old Anakin in Episode II, he's a completely different character with a different attitude. There really isn't any connection to the young boy Anakin from Episode I and rebellious teenager Anakin.

Furthermore, Episode II and III both suffer from lack of character development and details that I think stem from Episode I being set too early and mostly being isolated. For example, shouldn't Episode I have introduced Count Dooku? Maybe the Jedi who is said to have been killed when the commission of clones on Kamino was placed?

I also think the films failed to really develop Anakin as a great Jedi and good friend to Obi Wan. Really, the Prequel trilogy seems to be a tragedy, yet it doesn't feel like one because the character of Anakin doesn't really go through a change-- he's just a whiny brat who wants things his own way, Jedi be damned, and then at the end he goes and does it. I didn't feel any emotion at all when Obi Wan discovers that Anakin had turned to the dark side. It all felt so flat.

Now, so far from what I've seen of the Clone Wars series, that show goes a long way towards showing the camaraderie of Anakin and Obi Wan, and developing Anakin as a great Jedi who learns to be the fighter and commander that he ultimately becomes for the Empire. This is something I felt the movies failed to do.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:28 AM   #40553
Expert Member

Jul 2011
Singapore (via London)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambaldi47 View Post
Yeah I think Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones could have been combined storywise, leaving ROTS as the "Empire Strikes Back" of the prequels and giving us a great 3rd film taking place between ROTS and ANH. I think yet another big issue is that people really wanted to see more than 2 minutes of Vader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadache95 View Post
Yeah, I thought one of the problems with The Phantom Menace was that it almost feels like a waste of time. When we see nineteen year old Anakin in Episode II, he's a completely different character with a different attitude. There really isn't any connection to the young boy Anakin from Episode I and rebellious teenager Anakin.

Furthermore, Episode II and III both suffer from lack of character development and details that I think stem from Episode I being set too early and mostly being isolated. For example, shouldn't Episode I have introduced Count Dooku? Maybe the Jedi who is said to have been killed when the commission of clones on Kamino was placed?

I also think the films failed to really develop Anakin as a great Jedi and good friend to Obi Wan. Really, the Prequel trilogy seems to be a tragedy, yet it doesn't feel like one because the character of Anakin doesn't really go through a change-- he's just a whiny brat who wants things his own way, Jedi be damned, and then at the end he goes and does it. I didn't feel any emotion at all when Obi Wan discovers that Anakin had turned to the dark side. It all felt so flat.

Now, so far from what I've seen of the Clone Wars series, that show goes a long way towards showing the camaraderie of Anakin and Obi Wan, and developing Anakin as a great Jedi who learns to be the fighter and commander that he ultimately becomes for the Empire. This is something I felt the movies failed to do.
Nice post, entirely agree
Now I've got They Live! on blu, I really need Deep Rising...
Old 01-25-2012, 03:27 AM   #40554
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadache95 View Post

Agree 100% and those points you made are the same reasons why I threw the prequels out and just watch the clone wars in their place. They have more character development and actually show the things I'm interested in and the things I'm not interested in are few and far between.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:52 AM   #40555
Special Member

Jan 2009

I've only purchased the new trilogy on Blu because I figure there's not much George can do to ruin those. I'm pretty happy with their transfers though. Still not sure if I can endure the new changes in the original trilogy so I'm holding off for now.

I've gone back and forth in my opinion concerning a directors right to make changes and a fans right to complain. I've finally accepted the fact that both are right. George does have a right to tinker with them if he wishes because without him, there would be no Star Wars, and yet, I believe the fans do have a right to voice their opinions because if the fans didn't buy the tickets, merchandise and in other ways financially support it, there may have never been an original trilogy. So each owe the other some leeway. The best option is compromise. It's not asking much to give the fans what they want and exercise creativity by releasing both versions. The original, unaltered and the newer cuts. This problem shouldn't be a problem and is easily solved. I hope George understands this some day.
Samsung UN55F6400 TV
Sony STR-DN1000 Receiver
Klipsch KB-15 + KC-25 Icon & Quintet Synergy Speakers/350w SUB
Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray Player
Old 01-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #40556
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Did anyone notice that for AOTC they recut two scenes? One is in the Coruscant chase and the other is Dookus escape after the duel at the end.

Check this out:http://www.schnittberichte.com/schni....php?ID=929191 Its german but you get the idea.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #40557
Power Member

Mar 2011

Lucas said he will not make anymore changes to the 3D versions my question is what about the pink lightsabers?? are they gonna stay pink?
John Macclane; Sorry Hans, wrong guess. Would you like to go for Double Jeopardy where the scores can really change?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #40558

Jan 2011

I'm more curious if Darth Maul's fate has been altered (as he will be back in one form or another in the Clone Wars)..
The ability to speak does not make one intelligent, now get out of here. - Qui-Gon Jinn

TV: Sony KDL40Z5500
Speakers: Jamo S608 (fronts), Jamo S60 CEN (Center), Jamo S60 SUR (Surrounds), Klipsch RW-12D (Subwoofer), Marantz SR6004 (Receiver)
Blu-ray player: Pioneer BDP-LX55
Old 01-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #40559

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by p@t_mtl View Post
it's $13 a movie, pretty hard to ask for a cheaper price
+1
Old 01-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #40560
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
Home of N'Sync and the Backstreet Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
Did anyone notice that for AOTC they recut two scenes? One is in the Coruscant chase and the other is Dookus escape after the duel at the end.

Check this out:http://www.schnittberichte.com/schni....php?ID=929191 Its german but you get the idea.
No I didn't notice it at all. Must've been pretty minor to me, if it's actually true.
The artist formerly known as O_V_N.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America