COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Uta no Prince-sama 2000%: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$24.99
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Hawaii Five-0: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
$23.24
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 05-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #1

May 2010
Default Volume Control or boost on stand alone Blu Ray Players?

Does anyone know if any stand alone blu Ray players have a volume control or boost function like the Playstation 3 has? I just run my Blu ray straight through the TV speakers and the volume is really low on Blu Ray movies on my Sony BDP-S360. But the PS3 has the volume control option where you can turn up the actual player's volume and that makes it sound great when I watch on my living room set up.

Anyone know of any stand alone players with this feature?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Special Member

Nov 2008
El Paso, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBravesfan View Post
Does anyone know if any stand alone blu Ray players have a volume control or boost function like the Playstation 3 has? I just run my Blu ray straight through the TV speakers and the volume is really low on Blu Ray movies on my Sony BDP-S360. But the PS3 has the volume control option where you can turn up the actual player's volume and that makes it sound great when I watch on my living room set up.

Anyone know of any stand alone players with this feature?

Thanks!
I believe some of the sony players employ the same option that the PS3 does. I know my parents year old BDP-BX1 bought at Costco does.

However, I'd advise against using this option and the volume should be left at 0. This is the greatest assurance to preventing a clipped signal being sent to the AVR and then being passed on to your speakers which can and will eventually damage them if not careful.
A Work In Progress: Panasonic Viera GT-30 50" (2011) | Playstation 3 (2008) | Onkyo TX-SR805 (2009) | Polk Audio CS2 Center (2008) | Polk Audio Monitor 70 Fronts (2008) | Polk Audio Monitor 40 Rears (2007) | eD A7S-450 Sub (2010) | eD A2-300 Sub (2009) | APC AV H15 (2010) | Antec AV Cooler (2009)
Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
Banned

Mar 2010
Montreal to Victoria, CANADA - All about the Soul in Color & Surround - The Art of Sound Hounds +

Most Blu-ray players don't have this feature; it's your receiver that performs this task.
...A very few might add a feature "Boost" for the bass.

* Only from the multichannel analog outputs from those featured BD players.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 AM   #4

Apr 2010
Albuquerque, NM

OPPO BDP 83 has volume. Not boost though. Keep in mind that normal TV sound is generally compressed dynamic range and cranked up (especially the ads). Most movie and music discs have much wider dynamic range and may average lower level than your regularly scheduled programming.
JVC RS-2 projector, CIH zoom method (DIY AT screen coming soon)
B&W Nautilus 804 LR, HTM1 Cen (DIY 7pi LR and 4pi Cen coming soon)
Four DIY 2pi surrounds Four DIY MFW-15 sealed subs
Rotel power amps: two RB-991 (2chx200wpc), one RB-993 (3chx200wpc)
Oppo BDP-83 bluray player Outlaw 990 prepro (XMC-1 coming soon, I hope)
Control by iRule, Insteon lighting
Nakamichi System 7: CA-7a analog preamp, CR-7a cassette, ST-7 tuner
Four zones of Sonos bliss
Old 05-24-2010, 04:31 AM   #5
Banned

Mar 2010
Montreal to Victoria, CANADA - All about the Soul in Color & Surround - The Art of Sound Hounds +

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
OPPO BDP 83 has volume. Not boost though. Keep in mind that normal TV sound is generally compressed dynamic range and cranked up (especially the ads). Most movie and music discs have much wider dynamic range and may average lower level than your regularly scheduled programming.
You're talking in reference to the multichannel analog outs here, not the digital HDMI/Coaxial/Optical outs.
That you do need for the proper bass management, channel's delays and levels, when decoding the new audio high res and outputting it to your legacy Rotel pre/pro multichannel analog inputs.
And it ain't a master Volume level control either, it is individual channel's levels.

* That would also work for 2-channel analog stereo going to your TV analog stereo RCA input jacks.
...But oh my god why (in reference to the OP)?

Ouf!

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 05-24-2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #6

Apr 2010
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
And it ain't a master Volume level control either, it is individual channel's levels.
True, it does not apply to digital out. It is a master volume control. It's totally separate from the channel trims.

Works fine with my "legacy" equipment.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Banned

Mar 2010

That's cool, but not many players have that feature; it is actually quite rare.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #8

Apr 2010
Albuquerque, NM

Yeah, thats why I posted the information
Old 05-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #9

Apr 2010
Daytona Beach FL
Send a message via AIM to MacinMan Send a message via MSN to MacinMan Send a message via Yahoo to MacinMan

Quote:
Yeah, thats why I posted the information
My panasonic plasma HDtV has a sound leveler option in audio options. Is this a similar feature to keep all input audio going into the television (regardless input type) at a constant or close to constant volume? I wasn't sure what that was for. Thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile_At_Birth View Post
I believe some of the sony players employ the same option that the PS3 does. I know my parents year old BDP-BX1 bought at Costco does.

However, I'd advise against using this option and the volume should be left at 0. This is the greatest assurance to preventing a clipped signal being sent to the AVR and then being passed on to your speakers which can and will eventually damage them if not careful.
Quote:
Most Blu-ray players don't have this feature; it's your receiver that performs this task.
...A very few might add a feature "Boost" for the bass.

* Only from the multichannel analog outputs from those featured BD players.
Quote:
Quote:
You're talking in reference to the multichannel analog outs here, not the digital HDMI/Coaxial/Optical outs.
That you do need for the proper bass management, channel's delays and levels, when decoding the new audio high res and outputting it to your legacy Rotel pre/pro multichannel analog inputs.

* That would also work for 2-channel analog stereo going to your TV analog stereo RCA input jacks.
...But oh my god why (in reference to the OP)?

Ouf!
He's not using a receiver. He's running straight from BD player to his TV.

OP. If your TV doesnt support the lossless codecs you may need to set your player to downmix them to 2 channel or mono...depending on your TV.
Because Calamari Marionette Ph.D sounded pompous, that's why.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
OP. If your TV doesnt support the lossless codecs you may need to set your player to downmix them to 2 channel or mono...depending on your TV.
I am not aware of any TVs that feature lossless decoding. With the Sony S360, the user doesn't need to specify a downmixed PCM output because the HDMI handshake controls that. If the TV says it needs a stereo PCM input, the player will decode and downmix to two channels.

The OP's complaint about the S360 is not unique. In fact, based on threads here and at other forums, it seems to be fairly common. When the S360 is connected directly to a TV, many report the output volume of lossless tracks on BD is considerably lower than the output volume of DVDs. While I have seen this discussed in a number of threads, I have not seen a solution.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
Banned

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
He's not using a receiver. He's running straight from BD player to his TV.
Ya I figured that a long time ago, did you?
... And did you read the last part of my previous post (in your quote)?

* Would be nice if the OP can buy a receiver and speakers and subwoofer, but money is tight for some folks.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders