COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.31
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Tinto Brass: Maestro of Erotica Cinema (Blu-ray)
$45.34
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Like Water for Chocolate (Blu-ray)
$9.29
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Insomnia (Blu-ray)
$22.98
Hook (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Special Member

Sep 2009
Default Sahara (1995) TV movie on disc anytime ever?

No this isn't the Matthew McConaughey film from 2005 I'm talking about, but a 1995 made-for-TV movie with James Belushi as American Sgt. Joe Gunn during WWII who led a small group of mixed nationality troops that defended and held of an onslaught of German soldiers from a group of ruins in the middle of, you guess it...the Sahara Desert after the Battle of Tobruk in 1942.

I remember seeing this on TV and for the time, it was one of the best looking and sounding WWII films made. It never made it to DVD, but it'd probably look great on BD, although its OAR is 4:3.

Here's the IMDb entry for those who are curious:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114324/
"In Brightest Day, In Darkest Night, No Evil Shall Escape My Sight, Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might, Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light!
Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->116 UV-------->245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln6Echo View Post
No this isn't the Matthew McConaughey film from 2005 I'm talking about, but a 1995 made-for-TV movie with James Belushi as American Sgt. Joe Gunn during WWII who led a small group of mixed nationality troops that defended and held of an onslaught of German soldiers from a group of ruins in the middle of, you guess it...the Sahara Desert after the Battle of Tobruk in 1942.

I remember seeing this on TV and for the time, it was one of the best looking and sounding WWII films made. It never made it to DVD, but it'd probably look great on BD, although its OAR is 4:3.

Here's the IMDb entry for those who are curious:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114324/
I particularly enjoyed this movie. I caught by accident several years ago on Starz and was surprised at how good it was compared to the Bogart original. I think there's some kind of rights issue because it's only available on VHS. I definitely want the original and this TV version on BD.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I particularly enjoyed this movie. I caught by accident several years ago on Starz and was surprised at how good it was compared to the Bogart original. I think there's some kind of rights issue because it's only available on VHS. I definitely want the original and this TV version on BD.
Yeah, it was a pretty good film. Of course this was before SPR came out 3 years later which changed WWII film-making forever. But it was still good for what it was. I haven't seen it since '95, but I do remember that what surprised me was its authentic German desert uniforms. Usually didn't see this in films before that.
"In Brightest Day, In Darkest Night, No Evil Shall Escape My Sight, Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might, Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->116 UV-------->245

Quote:
Yeah, it was a pretty good film. Of course this was before SPR came out 3 years later which changed WWII film-making forever. But it was still good for what it was. I haven't seen it since '95, but I do remember that what surprised me was its authentic German desert uniforms. Usually didn't see this in films before that.
Yeah, the uniforms were accurate and I believe they all had Mausers as well. Nothing annoys me more than to see Germans with American equipment in a WWII movie. Battle of the Bulge is the best example I can think of off hand.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
Special Member

Sep 2009

Hell must hath doth frozen over.

Sony Pictures/Columbia Classics are releasing a bunch of old back catalog titles on DVD in MOD (manufactured on demand) and one of them is the 1995 Sahara movie in 1.85:1.

Here's the To Buy link: Sahara (1995)
Old 05-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Hell must hath doth frozen over.

Sony Pictures/Columbia Classics are releasing a bunch of old back catalog titles on DVD in MOD (manufactured on demand) and one of them is the 1995 Sahara movie in 1.85:1.

Here's the To Buy link: Sahara (1995)
EDIT: This movie available from Amazon now (as of March 2011, actually)...

Sahara (1995) James Belushi
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America