Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$94.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-28-2010, 05:50 AM   #1

Oct 2008
Default "The Pacific" Blu-ray sampler disc

hey guys, as most of you know, i work at Blockbuster Video, but thats not what i'm here to talk about....today (5/27) we got a box of "sampler discs" of The Pacific. On the top of the cover it states "Free Blu-ray Rental includes Part One of The Pacific and Special Features" I guess, and we're not completely sure yet on how we are going to this, but we will rent out the disc for free, but will have to be returned(obviously). I don't know if any other Blockbusters will do this, but i would check to see if you're store is doing it.
Oh, and the release for this sampler disc is June 1st

Last edited by thumber; 05-28-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
Power Member

Jul 2008

Good to know. I'd like to see the first episode before making the decision to purchase after hearing mixed reviews about the series.

I assume it's the same as whats packaged with BOB now.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
Special Member

Apr 2009
Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDog View Post
Good to know. I'd like to see the first episode before making the decision to purchase after hearing mixed reviews about the series.

I assume it's the same as whats packaged with BOB now.
the 1st episode doesnt do any justice, though it's a great episode it just gets better and better from there. the 2nd to last one almost had me
Old 05-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
Power Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRyMcNizzy13 View Post
the 1st episode doesnt do any justice, though it's a great episode it just gets better and better from there. the 2nd to last one almost had me
I planned on blind buying it day one but hearing so many people mention that it isn't that good (or maybe just not as good as BOB ) made me re-thinking.

Glad to know that you found it really enjoyable though. I've purposely avoided the threads that talk about it as I don't want anything ruined for me. Thanks for the postive recommendation.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Blockbuster did the same thing for true blood....

Have you watched this yet? true blood had a giant HBO symbol faded and super imposed across the entire screen, made it unwatchable unfortunately, just wondering if this is the same way.

If not i'll have to stop up there tomorrow and grab this.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez
Old 05-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #6

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeyeyez View Post
Blockbuster did the same thing for true blood....

Have you watched this yet? true blood had a giant HBO symbol faded and super imposed across the entire screen, made it unwatchable unfortunately, just wondering if this is the same way.

If not i'll have to stop up there tomorrow and grab this.
I am watching it now, got about 10 minutes left in the first episode, that sucks that there was an HBO symbol in true blood, there isn't one in this. The picture is pretty great, audio: pretty good.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:20 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
UK.

I can't wait for this.
Samsung 63" PS63C7000 3D TV,
Samsung BD C6900 3D Blu Ray Player,
Pioneer VSX-920K 3D Receiver,
Front Speakers Monitor Audio Radius 250,
Centre speaker Monitor Audio Radius 250,
Rear Surrounds Monitor Audio Radius 250,
Subwoofer Kef Kube 2.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
Banned

May 2008
Bay Area ,CA

i will never buy this i watched maybe 7 or 8 episodes , i really gave it a chance ,
i know its gonna look and sound awesome on bd but it lacks the heart and characters that bob had ....sorry its a no go for me
Old 05-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #9

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj19791979 View Post
i will never buy this i watched maybe 7 or 8 episodes , i really gave it a chance ,
i know its gonna look and sound awesome on bd but it lacks the heart and characters that bob had ....sorry its a no go for me
To be honest i haven't even see Band of Brothers, i know, i know...i need to. Whats sad is i work at blockbuster and i can rent it for free...i'm gonna get it tonight or tomorrow when i go into work
Old 05-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumber View Post
To be honest i haven't even see Band of Brothers, i know, i know...i need to. Whats sad is i work at blockbuster and i can rent it for free...i'm gonna get it tonight or tomorrow when i go into work
Wonder what they would charge for a "lost" disc. It would make a good collectors item.
Now the real pain begins, Danny-boy.

My Theater/Media Room.................................................. ............My Media Wall Cabinet(How To/DIY)
Old 05-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #11

Nov 2009

Quote:
I have to agree. I watched all the episodes. It just was OK not even close to BOB. Maybe it wasn't long enough maybe not enough character development. Lucky was my fav character would have liked to see more of him. Sub par effort by Spielberg. Should look good on Blu though but I am not a buyer.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:55 AM   #12
Special Member

Sep 2009

The problme with this series is that it didn't follow a cohesive unit. It followed individual soldiers. And therefore it didn't suck you into caring for the characters other than the three that it did follow, and even at that, the characters it did follow, weren't exactly likeable characters.

I thought the best episodes were the Pelielou episodes, and perhaps the first two on Gaudalcanal. I was disappointed with the Iwo Jima episode. Spend 40 mintues with John getting him some ass and then about 10 minutes on Iwo. That battle alone should have warranted two full episodes. And Okinawa, probably three itself.

The series should have been a full 20 or 22-episode season, I believe. 10 episodes just weren't enough to tell the events of the Pacific from '42-'45.
"In Brightest Day, In Darkest Night, No Evil Shall Escape My Sight, Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might, Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:21 AM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2008
Cincinnati, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln6Echo View Post
The problme with this series is that it didn't follow a cohesive unit. It followed individual soldiers. And therefore it didn't suck you into caring for the characters other than the three that it did follow, and even at that, the characters it did follow, weren't exactly likeable characters.

I thought the best episodes were the Pelielou episodes, and perhaps the first two on Gaudalcanal. I was disappointed with the Iwo Jima episode. Spend 40 mintues with John getting him some ass and then about 10 minutes on Iwo. That battle alone should have warranted two full episodes. And Okinawa, probably three itself.

The series should have been a full 20 or 22-episode season, I believe. 10 episodes just weren't enough to tell the events of the Pacific from '42-'45.
+1
I agree it could have been longer and focused more on Iwo Jima and especially Okinawa but I am glad that they told the story of the battle of Peleliu so well because it was one of the bloodiest battles of the Pacific theater and most people do not even know it happened. I thought that the episodes focusing on Eugene Sledge were just as good as anything in BoB, personally. I felt a lot of emotions for that kid, being only 18-19 and having to go through hell like that
PSN ID skillzthtkillz
Old 05-31-2010, 02:22 AM   #14

Aug 2009
USA

I agree with Linc....Pacific doesn't come close compared to BoB. Watched both and I would not sit thru Pacific again...once was hard enough. Hanks should really give up making war movies after The Pacific.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:24 AM   #15
Special Member

Feb 2008
Cincinnati, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlou2 View Post
I agree with Linc....Pacific doesn't come close compared to BoB. Watched both and I would not sit thru Pacific again...once was hard enough. Hanks should really give up making war movies after The Pacific.
I wouldn't go that far, it was much better than any war movie except for BoB and Saving Private Ryan. Compare the Pacific to Flags of our Fathers, Windtalkers, or even We Were Soldiers and it is far superior
PSN ID skillzthtkillz
Old 05-31-2010, 02:25 AM   #16
Power Member

Mar 2010
Atlanta - SteelBooks™: 16

"The Pacific" was not made to be like "Band of Brothers." While both stories are during the same war, the respective focus of both movies is different.

If you went into "The Pacific" expecting it to be another "Band of Brothers," that is where you messed up.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?! Why can't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"
-Oddball

My Blu-ray and DVD collection
Old 05-31-2010, 02:49 AM   #17
Banned

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

My Blockbuster is participating. I will be watching The Pacific this Tuesday
Old 06-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #18

Dec 2007
Kingston, Pa

I watched this on the 3rd, and must say I enjoyed thoroughly! The picture was great and the audio may have even been better. I cant wait for the full release, will be definately picking this up to add to the collection.
Display: 50" Panasonic ST30,
Blu: Panasonic DMP-BD110,
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR609,
Front: Polk Monitor 60's,
Center: Polk CS2,
Surround: JBL E20's,
Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK & eDaytonity 12
Old 06-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #19

Jan 2009
Calgary, AB

Quote:
ya same its not even close to as good as BOB...
Old 06-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #20
Banned

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

I just watched the sampler disc today, I was blown away. I have always been fascinated by the events that occured at Guadalcanal, and The Pacific portrays those events in a pretty historically accurate, and intense way. The video and audio is simply mind boggling, I don't see how it could get any better than this. I think from a historical perspective, I am more interested in the war in the Pacific than the war in Europe. I can say one thing for sure, if every episode of The Pacific is similar, or better to the first, I will enjoy this series much more than Band of Brothers.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America