Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.91
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
$11.81
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Lifeforce (Blu-ray)
$14.59
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 05-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

May 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cyndicate
And we get it, he isnt fond of PCs.
I get SICK of hearing that yuppie bullshit from Apple owners, when they KNOW they dont have any new software,a nd they have to use Windows emulators to have any fun. Hell the guy even says Apple help make Blu-Ray, HELL NO THEY DIDNT! They had stock in HD-DVD, NOT BLU_RAY! I hate the attitude. Like I said, this is a Blu-Ray forum. No the Mac is better then PC forum.

He shouldnt even be bringing mac up, unless he had a question like, "Does anyone know if they have tested Blu-Ray with Apple OS yet?"

Something like that. Either way, Its a personal problem I have when people always try to attach the newest coolest thing to themselves or something they own. Its annoying.
He hasn't got riled up about PC the way you have gotten riled up about Mac. I've asked you to stop, please do so immediately.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:46 PM   #22
Banned

Aug 2004
Seaattle

I really just can't resist. Someone has to do it.
Quote:
Apple SUCKS! EVERYTHING run on an apple is emulated. Apple only has maybe 10 Software programs that runs on it WITHOUT an emulator.
http://guide.apple.com/universal/

There's far more than 10 Universal apps (they run on both PPC and Intel based Macs) on this page alone. 1st lie debunked.

Quote:
ALL real movie production, and tv production is done on PC. As a matter of FACT, Alias was morphed into Maya software, and ALL GREAT effects are done with Maya or 3d Studio Max, ON PC's!
This statement is false. Producing a movie is a process and completing that process requires many tools. Avid is still the king but Final Cut Pro has over a half million registered users. alias wasn't morphed into Maya. Alias was the company that produced Maya the product. Autodesk just aquired Alias a few months back. Maya and 3dsm are both powerfull apps with Maya stronger in film and post production and 3dsm stronger in game developement. Maya has been on Macs for 4-5 years now.

Quote:
Music Production done with ProTools on a PC! The BEST Music studio software is Nuendo, it is run and used on PCs! Sure you can run them on a Mac, if you emulate windows!
ProTools Mac installations far outnumber PC installs in a Pro studio. Nuendo runs on Mac without any emulation. DLLs are dynamic linked libraries. You don't emulate them man.

Quote:
Listen, All real production, music or movies, uses PCs. Sure, some don't, some use Macs, but its VERY few and far between. Hell, EVERY Local newscast is done on a PC using Adobe Premiere.
False. I used to sell into a lot of stations and they use a variety of equipment. I ran into everything from Premiere to Avid to Media Composer and increasingly Final Cut Pro. There are no hard and fast rules.

[quoteIf you want to come here and talk about the technology of Blu-Ray, thats fine. But don't come in here acting 'holier than thou' and spouting off about a Mac. This is a Blu-Ray forum, not a Mac VS PC forum.[/quote]

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cyndicate
Lets leave the apple thing alone. Dont come into a forum spouting off about Apple this, and Apple that.

Apple SUCKS! EVERYTHING run on an apple is emulated. Apple only has maybe 10 Software programs that runs on it WITHOUT an emulator.

ALL real movie production, and tv production is done on PC. As a matter of FACT, Alias was morphed into Maya software, and ALL GREAT effects are done with Maya or 3d Studio Max, ON PC's! I am always hearing this shit about Macs being better for multimedia. Its BULLSHIT! Music Production done with ProTools on a PC! The BEST Music studio software is Nuendo, it is run and used on PCs! Sure you can run them on a Mac, if you emulate windows! Even software that is so called MADE for Macs, like Adobe Photoshop, uses emulated windows dlls, and translates the code to run on a Mac.

Listen, All real production, music or movies, uses PCs. Sure, some don't, some use Macs, but its VERY few and far between. Hell, EVERY Local newscast is done on a PC using Adobe Premiere.

Yes, as the commercial said, Mac had no new viruses last year made for a Mac. Thats because no-one made any new SOFTWARE for a Mac either!

If you want to come here and talk about the technology of Blu-Ray, thats fine. But don't come in here acting 'holier than thou' and spouting off about a Mac. This is a Blu-Ray forum, not a Mac VS PC forum.

FATALITY.
You honestly could not be more dead wrong if you tried.

Jeezuz.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:49 AM   #24
Banned

Oct 2004

I asked you twice to chill, now you're gone! - nyg

Last edited by nyg; 05-18-2006 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:47 PM   #25
Special Member

Feb 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison
I really just can't resist. Someone has to do it.

http://guide.apple.com/universal/

There's far more than 10 Universal apps (they run on both PPC and Intel based Macs) on this page alone. 1st lie debunked.

This statement is false. Producing a movie is a process and completing that process requires many tools. Avid is still the king but Final Cut Pro has over a half million registered users. alias wasn't morphed into Maya. Alias was the company that produced Maya the product. Autodesk just aquired Alias a few months back. Maya and 3dsm are both powerfull apps with Maya stronger in film and post production and 3dsm stronger in game developement. Maya has been on Macs for 4-5 years now.

ProTools Mac installations far outnumber PC installs in a Pro studio. Nuendo runs on Mac without any emulation. DLLs are dynamic linked libraries. You don't emulate them man.

False. I used to sell into a lot of stations and they use a variety of equipment. I ran into everything from Premiere to Avid to Media Composer and increasingly Final Cut Pro. There are no hard and fast rules.

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Wow, impressive counter points.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #26

Jun 2006
Default Apple not a power in movie editing?

They have been on the forefront for years:
Shake Continues Apple's Oscar Winning Streak
CUPERTINO, California—March 1, 2004—Last night’s 76th Annual Academy Awards presentation marked the seventh consecutive year Apple’s Shake® compositing software has played a crucial role in the film winning the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects. The 2004 winners in this category from Weta Digital credited Shake as a key element in the creation of “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.”

“We’re thrilled that for seven years in a row, movies created with Shake have won the Oscar for best visual effects,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Shake is helping Hollywood film editors communicate their vision and deliver their art at an Academy Award winning level. We couldn't be happier.”

“We could not have done ‘The Lord of the Rings’ trilogy without Shake’s fast compositing speed, quality and extensibility,” said Joe Letteri, Weta Digital’s Academy Award winning visual effects supervisor. “Shake was the cornerstone of our visual compositing pipeline.”

Weta Digital used Shake to blend numerous visual effects components in “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King,” including live action set passes, digital characters and creatures, set extensions and digital environments. Shake rendered incredibly huge shots and was key in fine-tuning the overall look and feel of every aspect of a shot including colors, composition and camera movement.
That's why Apple is supporting BOTH the high def DVD formats. They are commited to putting all the tools possible in the hands of the creative professional.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #27

May 2009
Idaho
Default Those who helped develop BR by standing in the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueisright View Post
When will there be an aftermarket blue-ray disk drive for laptop computers? the only regret I have about my laptop now (being so close to release of BD release) is that I will not have a bd player. I would like to eventualy upgrade if possible.

I Have a Dell Inpiron E1705 with Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz
Just a few things to ponder. Microsoft did its damndest to kill Blue Ray (and HD DVD) either outright or by delaying it until it became irrelevant; it may have worked too. Microsoft only supported HD DVD to knock the wind out of the sales of Blue Ray. Their model was always to have the user download a media file that could only be accessed for a certain length of time. This would include streaming technologies.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheWhile View Post
Just a few things to ponder. Microsoft did its damndest to kill Blue Ray (and HD DVD) either outright or by delaying it until it became irrelevant; it may have worked too. Microsoft only supported HD DVD to knock the wind out of the sales of Blue Ray. Their model was always to have the user download a media file that could only be accessed for a certain length of time. This would include streaming technologies.
Holy Thread Resurection Batman!

Yet, the first Blu-ray enabled laptop runs XP MCE 2005 - I have one!
June 2006 model as a matter of fact.

Google VGN-AR190G - May 2006 debut in Japan, June 2006 first sold in U.S.

While Microsoft may have supported HD DVD, the only OS capable of playback and burning of Blu-ray was Windows(a Microsoft item).
Say what you will... my 3 year old VAIO still plays(and burns) BDs great!
VGN-AR190G - UJ-210S BD Burner
VGN-AR730E/B - UJ-120 BD Combo

like.no.other
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software