Best PS3 Deals

Top PS3 Deals, Cheap PS3 Games!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS3)
$44.99
ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection (PS3)
$14.99
Need for Speed Rivals (PS3)
$18.99
The LEGO Movie Videogame (PS3)
$19.99
Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3)
$39.99
Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS3)
$29.99
Dragon's Crown (PS3)
$19.99
FIFA 14 (PS3)
$25.74
Destiny (PS3)
$49.99
Lego Marvel Super Heroes (PS3)
$14.99
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (PS3)
$52.41
Fairy Fencer F (PS3)
$45.43
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Collection (PS3)
$19.99
NBA 2K14 (PS3)
$25.11
Darksiders (PS3)
$14.69
Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare (PS3)
$22.50
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 06-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington
Arrow Saving PS3 Games to external hard drive

Hey guys, sorry I'm not sure where to post this but since it is a PS3 question I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction. I have a 1TB external hard drive already formatted in FAT32 so I can view video files through my PS3 USB port, my only question is how do I save my games to this external? I have yet to be able to find an option that allows me to save it to the external rather than the PS3 hard drive. Your help would be greatly appreciated....
Old 06-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

You can't.

The closest thing to that is to copy your save data onto it, but you won't be able to use it until it's back on the PS3's HDD.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The empire state (NYC)

You can't do game saves on to a external device. You can copy game saves to a external device (if you were change the hard drive)but you can't load up game saves from a external device. You only can do all that from the ps3's hard drive.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Sandy Hook, CT PS3-PSNetwork ID: Pelican170 PS4-PSN Network ID: TheAngryRager

I was wondering this also because if I got a 2nd ps3 for my bedroom and for example, im playing a game, then want to move to my bedroom and continue playing, is there a way to do that??
PS4 500 GB
Marantz SR7002
Cambridge Soundworks
Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
You can't do game saves on to a external device. You can copy game saves to a external device (if you were change the hard drive)but you can't load up game saves from a external device. You only can do all that from the ps3's hard drive.
Damn it, that's a real bummer. I originally bought the 20 Gig hard drive because I never game, it was only for blu and than I started gaming alot after discovering Fallout 3, and there are just so many damned glitches on the GOTY edition I thought it might be due to the save file size and I really can't save many more games without running out of room, so now I don't know what to do, lol.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
Power Member

Mar 2009
Ohio USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldeMan45 View Post
Damn it, that's a real bummer. I originally bought the 20 Gig hard drive because I never game, it was only for blu and than I started gaming alot after discovering Fallout 3, and there are just so many damned glitches on the GOTY edition I thought it might be due to the save file size and I really can't save many more games without running out of room, so now I don't know what to do, lol.
The best option is to buy a new internal hdd. You can get a 500Gb one for less than $100 and installing it is a snap.
LG SuperBlu BH200

SteelBooks™: 141
Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The empire state (NYC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetthead View Post
The best option is to buy a new internal hdd. You can get a 500Gb one for less than $100 and installing it is a snap.
Especially if you own a slim. Also, newegg.com has 640GB HD's for less than $100 with free or 99 shipping:

Link

The 1TB is $170 though.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Send a message via AIM to caliblue15 Send a message via MSN to caliblue15 Send a message via Yahoo to caliblue15

You can copy game saves over to an external hard drive, you just have to copy them back onto the other PS3. You can't use them off the HDD, but can save them there.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Playstation MVP - http://us.playstation.com/ambassador...nd-conditions/

Kansas State Wildcats - Rebuilding
Kansas City Chiefs - 8-0
Kansas City Royals- A Winning Season!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetthead View Post
I'd considered that, but I didn't know if it was possible to transfer my game files and trophies or if everything would be lost.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Send a message via AIM to caliblue15 Send a message via MSN to caliblue15 Send a message via Yahoo to caliblue15

Quote:
I'd considered that, but I didn't know if it was possible to transfer my game files and trophies or if everything would be lost.
If you are putting the files back on the same console, everything will transfer via a backup, only when changing HDD's though.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Playstation MVP - http://us.playstation.com/ambassador...nd-conditions/

Kansas State Wildcats - Rebuilding
Kansas City Chiefs - 8-0
Kansas City Royals- A Winning Season!
Old 06-10-2010, 01:21 AM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The empire state (NYC)

Quote:
Trohpies are stored on the PSN not on your console.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:36 AM   #12
Expert Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
Well, for one thing, Fallout 3 is just really horribly glitchy (especially the expansions, from what I've heard).

But for Fallout 3, it looks like you can backup individual saves to a USB drive and restore them to another console. Make sure you're using the same PSN account on both systems so you can keep getting trophies. You can do that with most PS3 games, except for the ones with locked saves (such as Demon's Souls).
Old 06-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #13
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by androvsky View Post
Well, for one thing, Fallout 3 is just really horribly glitchy (especially the expansions, from what I've heard).

But for Fallout 3, it looks like you can backup individual saves to a USB drive and restore them to another console. Make sure you're using the same PSN account on both systems so you can keep getting trophies. You can do that with most PS3 games, except for the ones with locked saves (such as Demon's Souls).
Oh great, thanks guys. I didn't even think about trophies being saved online cause I almost never go online with it, lol. That's a relief, I thought I would loose them all and sometimes I just like to trophy farm.

I'd heard Fallout was real glitchy, but after talking to some people on the thread here, they claimed my GOTY edition seemed to be a lot more glitchy than anything they'd encountered or heard about. My game will completely freeze every 5-10 minutes. Not worth the hassle most of the time.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:54 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Quote:
They're actually stored on both. They exist as local copies until you sync them to the PSN server, which backs them up permanently. It is possible, then, to lose trophies, if you happen to wipe your hard drive between the time you earn a trophy and when you sync it to PSN, but this is unlikely to happen.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
626, So Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican170 View Post
I was wondering this also because if I got a 2nd ps3 for my bedroom and for example, im playing a game, then want to move to my bedroom and continue playing, is there a way to do that??
Yeah that sucks. I have a bedroom set (currently has my Drake's bundle, with no intention of updating beyond 3.1 or whatever is on there) and a Slim up front (RIP 60GB YLOD ) and generally hate that. I don't usually feel like doing the whole game save transfer thing, so generally play one set of games on the bedroom set and another on the front set.

What they need is a sync ability similar to the ethernet to ethernet but to let you do it over a network connection (wifi, etc)and just do game save data or whatever
---
"No matter where you go, there you are."
SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/WiiU
320GB CECHA01- YLOD; 160GB Drake's (hax0r3d OtherOS toy); 120GB Slim with Move
PSN: Uxi Twitter: Uxixu
Old 06-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
South Florida PSN:DonVCorleone Nintendo:DonRSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
Yeah that sucks. I have a bedroom set (currently has my Drake's bundle, with no intention of updating beyond 3.1 or whatever is on there) and a Slim up front (RIP 60GB YLOD ) and generally hate that. I don't usually feel like doing the whole game save transfer thing, so generally play one set of games on the bedroom set and another on the front set.

What they need is a sync ability similar to the ethernet to ethernet but to let you do it over a network connection (wifi, etc)and just do game save data or whatever
interesting.

i have a 120 slim in the living room & my 7 1/2 has a new 2101 slim in his room.
i wanted to convert his God of war files to his ps3 and it wouldnt load (i saved it to a flash drive and then installed it to his ps3 hdd)

this sucks as i want to get another ps3 in my bedroom for the wife to play guitar hero and not bother me.
is there any way to take her game saves from her future ps3 and share them to my other 2 ps3's?
all of our gamertags/names are on every ps3
Xbox Live: D0N V C0RLE0NE
Nintendo Network ID: DonRSD
3DS Friend Code: 0018-0138-6226

The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat
Old 06-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
626, So Cal

I do switch now and then... I usually copy to my cell phone since the new models don't have SD slots or anything (which would have been my preferred desire, since I need to have a USB cable handy for any other method).
---
"No matter where you go, there you are."
SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/WiiU
320GB CECHA01- YLOD; 160GB Drake's (hax0r3d OtherOS toy); 120GB Slim with Move
PSN: Uxi Twitter: Uxixu
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3