Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99
 
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
7 hrs ago
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
You Only Live Twice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
6 hrs ago
The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
MrHT's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
154
1
Default Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band: London Calling: Live In Hyde Park

I'm surprised there's no thread on this. Anyone pick this up and watch it yet? It came out today. I got mine for $17.99 during my lunch break. Can't wait to watch it tonight!
TV: Samsung UN32EH5000
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S360
DVD Player & Recorder: Sony DVP-NS77H & Toshiba DR430
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Front: Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1 Series II
Surrounds: Dayton Audio B652
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics CSSUB10B
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
qwknuf6 qwknuf6 is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2008
324
7
Default

Ditto

BB had it for 17.99 got when I was OTL

Mark
Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO -151FD
Pioneer Kuro Elite Signature PRO-101FD
Yamaha RX-V1900 , Pioneer VSX-21THX
Sierra 1 Speakers L/C/R Fronts Piano Black
Sierra 1 Speakers L/C/R Fronts Light Cherry
OPPO 83 BRP Panasonic BD-30
Rythmic D-15 SE Subwoofer
SALK HT2-TLs
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
borninusa borninusa is offline
Power Member
 
borninusa's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Ohio
4
1543
2
20
Default

I just now opened mine....

Why the heck am I on here saying that when I should be watching?
Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
MrHT's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
154
1
Default

I watched an hour of it. It's pretty good, but not as good as the Barcelona DVD. The transfer is only so-so, but it doesn't surprise me. 1080i concert BDs never really look THAT impressive to me.
TV: Samsung UN32EH5000
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S360
DVD Player & Recorder: Sony DVP-NS77H & Toshiba DR430
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Front: Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1 Series II
Surrounds: Dayton Audio B652
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics CSSUB10B
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
Jason1978 Jason1978 is offline
Active Member
 
Jason1978's Avatar
 
May 2009
Hagerstown, MD
258
21
Default

HUGE Bruce fan and saw him 4 times on the past two tours (and got to attend one of the shows where the entire Born To Run was played, which was pretty awesome). I noticed that Best Buy has the dvd for $11.99 however their website doesn't even list the blu ray so not sure if my store has it either but for $17.99 I am going to check today. The blu ray is $18.99 at deep discount, $19.99 at Amazon I believe. Sony's site has special package deals involving other goodies like t-shirts etc. http://www.sonymusicdigital.com/bruc...pages/5506688/

Does the blu ray look better than the Seeger Sessions blu ray because that got alot of negative reviews so I just stuck with the regular dvd that came with the live album. The Barcelona dvd isn't the best quality and the NYC dvd looks better. I'm hoping that with the London blu ray/dvd they got things right but I need to know if paying $8+ more is worth it.

Last edited by Jason1978; 06-23-2010 at 12:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
dg5150 dg5150 is offline
Senior Member
 
dg5150's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Nashville, TN
12
286
6
1
Send a message via ICQ to dg5150
Default

Pre ordered mine from BB, should get here today. Can't wait! the songs that were on the palladia broadcast were great! BRUUUUUUCE!!!!!!
"I don't feel tardy..."
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
MrHT's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
154
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1978 View Post
HUGE Bruce fan and saw him 4 times on the past two tours (and got to attend one of the shows where the entire Born To Run was played, which was pretty awesome). I noticed that Best Buy has the dvd for $11.99 however their website doesn't even list the blu ray so not sure if my store has it either but for $17.99 I am going to check today. The blu ray is $18.99 at deep discount, $19.99 at Amazon I believe. Sony's site has special package deals involving other goodies like t-shirts etc. http://www.sonymusicdigital.com/bruc...pages/5506688/

Does the blu ray look better than the Seeger Sessions blu ray because that got alot of negative reviews so I just stuck with the regular dvd that came with the live album. The Barcelona dvd isn't the best quality and the NYC dvd looks better. I'm hoping that with the London blu ray/dvd they got things right but I need to know if paying $8+ more is worth it.
I donít own the Seeger Sessions Blu-ray, only the DVD. So I canít say if itís better or not. But the quality is better than any of the Bruce DVDs, Iíll tell you that. But of course, I wouldnít say itís reference quality. But itís satisfactory, IMHO.

The Barcelona concert was his best performance, but sadly, it had the worst sound quality.

I watched another hour of this Blu-ray. One more hour to go. Man, this concert is long! At least I know I got my $18 worth. Heh! But it does get significantly better as the concert progresses. In my opinion, the songs and performances in the beginning werenít as good as the ones later on in the concert. So, I found myself enjoying the second hour A LOT more than the first. I was kind of surprised with the 3 F-bombs in the beginning of the concert. Usually, Bruce doesnít use that kind of language during his performances, let alone 3 in a row. But overall, itís a pretty good concert. I canít wait to finish the last hour. Bruceís performance is still amazing and itís hard to believe someone can perform like that at age 60. Way to go, Bruce!
TV: Samsung UN32EH5000
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S360
DVD Player & Recorder: Sony DVP-NS77H & Toshiba DR430
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Front: Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1 Series II
Surrounds: Dayton Audio B652
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics CSSUB10B
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Crimson King Crimson King is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
Crimson King's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
19
9
USA

The Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band concert that really needs to be released on blu is the 1975 Hammersmith Odeon Concert! Awesome concert of the group at it's peak!, a DVD version was included in the Born To Run box set.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
AintNoSin AintNoSin is offline
Special Member
 
AintNoSin's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Lake Forest, CA
196
259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
The Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band concert that really needs to be released on blu is the 1975 Hammersmith Odeon Concert! Awesome concert of the group at it's peak!, a DVD version was included in the Born To Run box set.
According to rumor the 30th Anniversary box set of Darkness on the Edge of Town will have a concert video from that tour and there will be a Blu-ray version.

Thranduil: I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
MrHT's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
154
1
Default

We should be lucky that the Blu-ray version got a nice packaging. The DVD version is downright terrible. They just slip two DVDs in a cardboard. Luckily, the Blu-ray version is one disc only and packaged in a normal Blu-ray case.
TV: Samsung UN32EH5000
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S360
DVD Player & Recorder: Sony DVP-NS77H & Toshiba DR430
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Front: Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1 Series II
Surrounds: Dayton Audio B652
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics CSSUB10B
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
fuwa fuwa is offline
Active Member
 
fuwa's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
10
Default

Great concert. Great blu-ray. Best Springsteen video yet. Great performance with picture and audio quality to match. I would have liked to had "Girls In Their Summer Clothes" and "Reason To Believe" on the disc as these were favorites the last time I saw him.

The concert should have started an hour later to get more night into the movie but Springsteen kept saying something about a curfew at the end so maybe at that particular venue they had to quit at a certain time.

The sound and video of this blu-ray are great, just like being there.

The song "Working On A Dream" was so much better on this disc than the performance given at the superbowl. I like that song now. Superbowl appearances don't do justice to performers other than the U2 performance after 9/11.

Last edited by fuwa; 06-23-2010 at 07:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
Jason1978 Jason1978 is offline
Active Member
 
Jason1978's Avatar
 
May 2009
Hagerstown, MD
258
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintNoSin View Post
According to rumor the 30th Anniversary box set of Darkness on the Edge of Town will have a concert video from that tour and there will be a Blu-ray version.
Well it's now the 32nd anniversary but hopefully it comes out but I have my doubts about the dvd being on blu ray because not everyone has blu ray and would probably be upset considering that's a much sought after concert and has long been rumored to be part of the set. Doubtful they make two different sets or have the blu ray AND dvd.

I'm hoping withthe Darkness dvd they release a CD of the show as well. The Hammersmith show on cd sounds amazing.

Last edited by Jason1978; 06-23-2010 at 10:15 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #13
Jason1978 Jason1978 is offline
Active Member
 
Jason1978's Avatar
 
May 2009
Hagerstown, MD
258
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
The Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band concert that really needs to be released on blu is the 1975 Hammersmith Odeon Concert! Awesome concert of the group at it's peak!, a DVD version was included in the Born To Run box set.


While the show is legendary, the footage really isn't too impressive considering how it was lit and how focuses on Bruce most of the show.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
Jason1978 Jason1978 is offline
Active Member
 
Jason1978's Avatar
 
May 2009
Hagerstown, MD
258
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwa View Post
Great concert. Great blu-ray. Best Springsteen video yet. Great performance with picture and audio quality to match. I would have liked to had "Girls In Their Summer Clothes" and "Reason To Believe" on the disc as these were favorites the last time I saw him.

The concert should have started an hour later to get more night into the movie but Springsteen kept saying something about a curfew at the end so maybe at that particular venue they had to quit at a certain time.

The sound and video of this blu-ray are great, just like being there.

The song "Working On A Dream" was so much better on this disc than the performance given at the superbowl. I like that song now. Superbowl appearances don't do justice to performers other than the U2 performance after 9/11.
Just bought it at BB for $17.99. Given some of the different reviews (some day poor sound, some day poor video) I hesitated a little considering the dvd was just $11.99 but hey, I have sat in the nosebleed section behind the stage for $100 to see Bruce and enjoyed the hell out of it so i'm sure the blu ray will be fine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:49 AM   #15
J.Cornelius J.Cornelius is offline
Active Member
 
J.Cornelius's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Default

Love the Blu Ray, simply epic! PQ more than adequate, AQ is killa, PCM 5.1 rocked the house. But let's face the facts, you more than likely are not going to drop the cion for the Blu unless you dig the music in the first place, the opportunity to visit another Bruce show at your leisure what are you waiting for? You will not be disappointed that is for sure
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:04 AM   #16
Belloche Belloche is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Belloche's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Nova Scotia, Canada
585
11
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1978 View Post
While the show is legendary, the footage really isn't too impressive considering how it was lit and how focuses on Bruce most of the show.
Maybe, but I feel lucky to have a document of the band in that era in as good shape as it is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:36 AM   #17
fuwa fuwa is offline
Active Member
 
fuwa's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1978 View Post
Just bought it at BB for $17.99. Given some of the different reviews (some day poor sound, some day poor video) I hesitated a little considering the dvd was just $11.99 but hey, I have sat in the nosebleed section behind the stage for $100 to see Bruce and enjoyed the hell out of it so i'm sure the blu ray will be fine.
I just read that review about the sound and all I can say is that guy needs to calibrate his system. I also have def tech speakers and there is plenty of rear sound. The video is great except when they get some close ups of Bruce. It appears that they are using one camera from a great distance away and are zooming it in or the camera is just not that good. The other cameras are very sharp.

I wanted to post a review of this blu-ray but I can't because it says I am not logged in. Strange, I can enter a review on other movies and even the Canadian version of this but I can't for the American version. I believe the ratings are too low.

Great concert blu-ray.

Last edited by fuwa; 06-24-2010 at 03:43 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
MrHT MrHT is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
MrHT's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
154
1
Default

The picture quality is acceptable. But I wouldn't go as far as saying it's poor. I did notice that one of the cameras seems to have a dead/stuck pixel, so in certain shots, you'll see a white dot towards the right of your screen.

The audio is actually very good. It's not like the Barcelona DVD, which was poor. I would say that it sounds just as good as the Live in NYC title. The only difference is that the audience is louder in this London concert. In the NYC DVD, I could barely hear the crowd during the songs, but in this London concert, they can be loud at times. But no audience is as loud as the Barcelona crowd. They were something and I think that contributed to the poor sound in that concert. That plus the poor mix. At least this London concert was mixed A LOT better, so the sound came out nice.

I kind of liked Springsteen’s performance in the Barcelona concert a little better. But just a little. Only because he was younger and had more energy. But he still has plenty of energy in this London concert as well. But you can see that the E Street Band is aging, so I expect that they won’t be together for all that long. Another 5-10 years max. But who knows? They may surprise me. Heck, I didn’t even know they were going to be performing as long as this. But given the fact that Springsteen is 60, I’m very impressed by the way he performed. My dad is 60 and no way can he ever have that much energy. In fact, Bruce has so much energy for his age, it’s actually scary, lol. But overall, Bruce and the whole band were having a lot of fun during the entire concert and that’s what made it really enjoyable. And that’s why Bruce is the best performer, IMHO. No one seems to enjoy performing like this guy.

Now what made me like this concert more than the Barcelona one was the song selection. No Surrender, Bobby Jean, Working On A Dream, Radio Nowhere, Glory Days, American Land, etc. Wow!! What a song selection! And I’ve been dying for a nice rockin’ performance of “No Surrender” for a loooong time. I’m glad I finally have it and the performance couldn’t have been better.

Great concert blu-ray! So worth the $17.99! You are simply not a Springsteen fan if you do not own this!

One question tho....where's Patti?
TV: Samsung UN32EH5000
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S360
DVD Player & Recorder: Sony DVP-NS77H & Toshiba DR430
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Front: Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1 Series II
Surrounds: Dayton Audio B652
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics CSSUB10B
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #19
Jason1978 Jason1978 is offline
Active Member
 
Jason1978's Avatar
 
May 2009
Hagerstown, MD
258
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwa View Post
I just read that review about the sound and all I can say is that guy needs to calibrate his system. I also have def tech speakers and there is plenty of rear sound. The video is great except when they get some close ups of Bruce. It appears that they are using one camera from a great distance away and are zooming it in or the camera is just not that good. The other cameras are very sharp.

I wanted to post a review of this blu-ray but I can't because it says I am not logged in. Strange, I can enter a review on other movies and even the Canadian version of this but I can't for the American version. I believe the ratings are too low.

Great concert blu-ray.
I got to watch some of it last night up until Outlaw Pete. The Picture and Audio were great. I think my only probblem is that there are too many crowd shots and at times too much focus on Bruce. I don't even think Roy is shown in the first few songs and Clarence is not shown until right before his solo in Badlands. When they show the backup singers they just get footage of them bobbing their heads through the first few songs. Anyways...nothing major and can't wait to watch the rest of the show. By far the best The Boss has looked/sounds on my t.v.!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #20
Jason1978 Jason1978 is offline
Active Member
 
Jason1978's Avatar
 
May 2009
Hagerstown, MD
258
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

One question tho....where's Patti?
Patti actually missed quite a chunk of the tour. First she was injured after falling off a horse and other dates she missed because she stayed at home to take care of the kids. She missed some of the dates on the Magic tour due to kid-releated stuff as well.

Last edited by Jason1978; 06-24-2010 at 04:24 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:05 PM.