Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pumpkinhead (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Power Member

Nov 2009
-
-
Default The Private Eyes coming to blu (Tim Conway/Don Knotts)

Don't laugh, but according to the Digital Bits:

Quote:
Hen's Tooth has set the classic Don Knotts and Tim Conway comedy The Private Eyes for DVD and Blu-ray release on 9/28. No kidding! Extras will include audio commentary by Tim Conway and director Lang Elliott, a photo gallery and the original theatrical trailer. (SRP $29.95 and $34.95).
http://digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

I saw this when I was a kid and I own the current DVD (poor quality and cropped 4:3). I just hope the blu is in the original AR and it at least get's somewhat of a restoration.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Tim Conway's disk commentary is pretty good, though.
(And yes, he claims kids still ask him about Wookelars...)
Old 06-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Awesome. Never picked up the previous DVD due to poor quality and cropped format.
Bat-Mite: "Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but is certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots then the tortured avenger, crying out for mommy and daddy."

Batman: The Brave & The Bold - Legend of the Dark Mite.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:03 AM   #4
Suspended

Jul 2007

There's one funny moment on the commentary where Tim tells of the crew carpooling to the English mansion set, and Don Knotts having to work in a trenchoat in the hottest days of August--
Finally, Knotts stormed off the set after one scene and threatened to go back to his hotel room...As Conway describes it, "A few minutes later, Don came back and said (perfect imitation of Barney Fife voice: ) 'Say Tim, you, uh...(sniff!)...wouldn't happen to have the keys, wouldja?'"

Old 06-23-2010, 03:41 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

I thought that and The Prize Fighter were the weakest in the Knotts/Conway teamings. The Apple Dumpling Gang and The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again were some of their best work, but those are Disney and they have yet to release any of their classic live action features on blu yet.
Speaking of Don Knotts, I would love to see The Ghost And Mr. Chicken and The Reluctant Astronaut hit blu. Those are, IMO, his best film work.
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"...but you will always be homosexual Michael, always, until the day you die."

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."
Old 06-23-2010, 05:18 AM   #6
Power Member

Nov 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
I thought that and The Prize Fighter were the weakest in the Knotts/Conway teamings. The Apple Dumpling Gang and The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again were some of their best work, but those are Disney and they have yet to release any of their classic live action features on blu yet.
Speaking of Don Knotts, I would love to see The Ghost And Mr. Chicken and The Reluctant Astronaut hit blu. Those are, IMO, his best film work.
I thought Private Eyes was great. Haven't seen the Apple Dumpling gang in a long time but I would have to say Private Eyes and The Prize Fighter were low budget in comparison.

I would also love to see The Ghost and Mr Chicken come to blu also. At least with this movie it does have a decent transfer(and isn't 4:3 cropped) unlike the current Private eyes release.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #7

Dec 2007

I hope this one will be 16x9 WS full. and "The Prize Fighter" has never been released on DVD? Prize Fighter would have been cooler if they had a cameo by:Sylvester Stallone. but that did not happen.
Also a Member of H.D.F.
http://www.facebook.com/blu.jawa
My Twitter is @Blu_Jawa
Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
Suspended

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Jawa View Post
I hope this one will be 16x9 WS full. and "The Prize Fighter" has never been released on DVD?
Was, but might be out of print:
http://www.amazon.com/Prize-Fighter-...dp/B0000C52EV/
Private Eyes was still funnier, though.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Power Member

Nov 2009
-
-

Yes the Prize Fighter is out on DVD and I have it. It is in 16:9 but rather poor quality. I liked Private eyes a bit better as well.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Default The Private Eyes (Don Knotts/Tim Conway) on 9/28

Here's one that I didn't expect to see.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Man in the Box

Jan 2007

I still have this on DVD. I love this movie, i believe it sits right next to Clue. I'll be picking this up as I want to see the guys in 1080p.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

This is the first blu from Hen's Tooth. I have to say that I'm intrigued about the possiblities...

Flesh Gordon
The Christmas that Almost Wasn't
Dot and the Kangaroo
Company of Wolves
Cross of Iron
Hawk the Slayer
Deadlier than the Male
The Asphyx
Fear of a Black Hat
Beginning of the End
Communion
Old 06-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
Man in the Box

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post
This is the first blu from Hen's Tooth. I have to say that I'm intrigued about the possiblities...

Flesh Gordon
The Christmas that Almost Wasn't
Dot and the Kangaroo
Company of Wolves
Cross of Iron
Hawk the Slayer
Deadlier than the Male
The Asphyx
Fear of a Black Hat
Beginning of the End
Communion
one could only hope!

There was also another thread here, need to merge
Old 06-25-2010, 02:23 AM   #14
Power Member

Nov 2009
-
-

Quote:
Notice on the back it says Dolby Digital 2.0 . That doesn't surprise me though. At least it says 1080p in widescreen.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:29 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

I am buying this for sure. I have never seen this movie, but I like Don Knotts. Now bring The Ghost and Mr. Chicken.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:30 AM   #16
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Haha... all I can say is wow.

I might actually pick this up.

But it's immensely funny that this is coming out and many great classics still haven't.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Quote:
If those screenshots on the back are any indication, this is gonna look marvelous.
Bat-Mite: "Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but is certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots then the tortured avenger, crying out for mommy and daddy."

Batman: The Brave & The Bold - Legend of the Dark Mite.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:48 AM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007

Cool! How about The Incredible Mr. Limpet on blu-ray too!
If you don't like what's being said, change the conversation...
Old 07-01-2010, 03:01 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy View Post
I thought Private Eyes was great. Haven't seen the Apple Dumpling gang in a long time but I would have to say Private Eyes and The Prize Fighter were low budget in comparison.

I would also love to see The Ghost and Mr Chicken come to blu also. At least with this movie it does have a decent transfer(and isn't 4:3 cropped) unlike the current Private eyes release.
+1 on The Ghost and Mr. Chicken!

I was watching The Incredible Mr. Limpet last week on the MGMHD channel.
Launch PS3 60GB, Launch PS3 Slim 120GB, Launch PS4
Family Room: (TV) Samsung LNT5271; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH; (Speakers) Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 5.1 System
New HT Room: (Projector) JVC RS45; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite SC-35; (Front Speakers) Monitor Audio RX6; (Center) RX Centre; (Side Surround Speakers) Monitor Audio RXFX; (Back Speakers) PSB Image B4 Compact Bookshelf; (Subwoofer) SVS PB12-Plus
GO PURPLE...BE GOLD!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #20

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy View Post

Here's the bad news--I've been matching up the "widescreen" shots on the back cover with the 4:3 DVD and this is what I think: The movie was probably shot in 4:3 (most likely so it could be shown on TV without any changes). For this release, and maybe its theatrical run, the top and bottom (more bottom than top, as far as I can see) were trimmed to make it look widescreen. When I compared the shots, there was a ton of information missing from the bottom. In that group shot where the servants are standing in a line, you can the one character's samurai sword, but MOST of the length of the sword is visible in the current 4:3 DVD. This is not unusual. The Enchanted April DVD did the same thing. They filmed it for a TV audience and just gave it a quick theatrical run. Frankly, I'd rather have the TV aspect ratio and not miss the details. (Of course, I really hope I'm wrong and the pics from the back cover are just altered)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America