Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Boyhood (Blu-ray)
$14.97
Orange Is the New Black: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Imitation Game (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Blomkampł Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Tropic Thunder (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$44.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-05-2015, 03:41 AM   #1

Mar 2015
Default MPAA Descriptions on the Back of Blu-rays

Was wondering what the different descriptions for movies meant.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:44 AM   #2
Power Member

Jun 2009
Springfield, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu225 View Post
Probably has to do with the content of each film.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:46 AM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
G - General Audiences
PG - Parental Guidance Suggested
PG-13 - Children Under 13 Strongly Cautioned
R - Children Under 17 Must Be Accompanied By An Adult
NC-17 - Must Be 17 Years Of Age
"I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room... as inevitable as your guilty conscience..."
My Motion Picture Collection
My Vinyl Collection
My VUDU Collection
World of Tanks: HD_Goofnut

Last edited by HD Goofnut; 05-05-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:58 AM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2014

Quote:
http://www.mpaa.org/
Old 05-05-2015, 04:17 AM   #5

Mar 2015
Default mpaa

I meant more the reason for the ratings for certain r rated movies. Brutal violence. Strong violence. Graphic nudity. Regular nudity. Sexual content. And so on.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:22 AM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2014

Quote:
I meant more the reason for the ratings for certain r rated movies. Brutal violence. Strong violence. Graphic nudity. Regular nudity. Sexual content. And so on.
Thanks given by:
RodChester (05-05-2015), spargs (05-05-2015), Will. (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 04:22 AM   #7

Feb 2015
MN

It's totally arbitrary, really. Sometimes there is really over-the-top ratings language; Hostel is rated R for "Strong bloody sadistic violence and torture"
Old 05-05-2015, 04:23 AM   #8

Jul 2012
フィンランド

Quote:
I meant more the reason for the ratings
That's exactly what they are. You answered your own question.
Thanks given by:
jscoggins (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 04:32 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2013
The Ocean State
-
-

Trainspotting is one of my personal favorites, "Graphic heroin use and resulting depravity..."
”Always leave boiled rice out for mice and keep lamps dark out of pity for moths.” The ancients had this sort of concern, and it’s really the whole point of life, generation after generation. Without it, one can only be called a blockheaded carcass. - H.Z.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture. - T.P.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:36 AM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
Out there...past the trees...

Movies are rated for various reason which aren't always consistent. The descriptions you read about the rating may provide a brief explanation for what to expect, but it's not necessarily a justification for that rating.

I think the descriptions are self-explanatory; if you need to know more about how far the sex/violence/profanity goes, you're either going to have to research the movie online (there are websites that explain every single instance of objectionable material) or suck it up and watch the thing.

It's not like a movie's going to have a banner that says "rated R for a guy getting stabbed in the eye, 10 people getting shot, 100 F-words, and 10 seconds of topless ladies" or anything. They got to keep it generic to fit a wide range of movies, and they all vary in content and extremity.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:39 AM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Everything you ever wanted to know about the ratings.

http://filmratings.org/what.html
Old 05-05-2015, 04:43 AM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2013
The Ocean State
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_The_Strange View Post
It's not like a movie's going to have a banner that says "rated R for a guy getting stabbed in the eye, 10 people getting shot, 100 F-words, and 10 seconds of topless ladies" or anything. They got to keep it generic to fit a wide range of movies, and they all vary in content and extremity.
That's what this guy was for:

I miss Monstervision.
”Always leave boiled rice out for mice and keep lamps dark out of pity for moths.” The ancients had this sort of concern, and it’s really the whole point of life, generation after generation. Without it, one can only be called a blockheaded carcass. - H.Z.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture. - T.P.
Thanks given by:
HD Goofnut (05-05-2015), InspectorLupus (05-05-2015), Michael Bay Fan (05-05-2015), notops (05-06-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 04:44 AM   #13

Aug 2013

Quote:
Are you asking for us to define brutal violence, graphic nudity, etc.? (i.e., what makes the violence in this movie graphic and that movie strong? when does nudity cross the line into being graphic?) If so, I'd say that often it's completely arbitrary and silly. I mean, the description they gave for the NC-17 (uncut) version of John Waters' A Dirty Shame reads "Rated NC-17 for pervasive sexual content," while the edited R-rated version reads "Rated R for pervasive strong crude sexual content, including fetishes." Now which sounds more extreme? The MPAA's verbiage is nothing but silliness.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:49 AM   #14

Oct 2013
Canada

My favourites are things like "sci fi violence" and "fantasy violence" :P
Old 05-05-2015, 04:56 AM   #15

Mar 2015
Default mpaa

Yea I guess I was asking more what is the difference in the violence. For example look up a history of violence. Shoot em up and American history x. All 3 are hardcore violent descriptions but even watching the movies not sure the differences.pervasive strong bloody violence is listed on one of them. Strong brutal violence is on another and American history x is graphic brutal violence. and each of these has other strong meaning. Rape. Pervasive language. Graphic nudity. I think for the graphic is when they show penis or vagina. I was watching inherent vice which has that and a girl was fully named in it.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:01 AM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Yea I guess I was asking more what is the difference in the violence. For example look up a history of violence. Shoot em up and American history x. All 3 are hardcore violent descriptions but even watching the movies not sure the differences.pervasive strong bloody violence is listed on one of them. Strong brutal violence is on another and American history x is graphic brutal violence. and each of these has other strong meaning. Rape. Pervasive language. Graphic nudity. I think for the graphic is when they show penis or vagina. I was watching inherent vice which has that and a girl was fully named in it.
It's subjective and simply comes down to what the raters on the ratings board think at the time of the rating.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:04 AM   #17

Mar 2015
Default mpaa

One funny one I remember is the mpaa for twister.rated pg13 for intense descriptions of very bad weather.lol
Old 05-05-2015, 05:24 AM   #18
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Kirksville, Missouri

"Slime" (AvP) and "some menace" (TDK) were two descriptions that have made me lol.

"Billy, I don't mind violence, but there is no way you are watching a movie with slime in it!"
"Me. Me. Me......Me too."
Old 05-05-2015, 05:38 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
G - General Audiences
PG - Parental Guidance Suggested
PG-13 - Children Under 13 Strongly Cautioned
R - Children Under 17 Must Be Accompanied By An Adult
NC - 17 - Must Be 17 Years Of Age
Maybe we should go back to using the Motion Picture Production Code. The code, commonly referred to as the Hays Code or the Breen Code (for its enforces Will H. Hays and Joseph Breen).

Life was so much simpler when studios weren't allowed to do whatever they wanted, and had to follow strict requirements.

This whole rating system just muddied everything up. Now we have to worry that our kids will sneak into R rated movies when we aren't looking. Oh the horrors of such things!

The best number is 73. Why? 73 is the 21st prime number. Its mirror, 37, is the 12th and its mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3... and in binary 73 is a palindrome, 1001001, which backwards is 1001001.
What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.
3263827 | Jakku | From out of the shadows, she walks like a dream
Old 05-05-2015, 05:39 AM   #20
Expert Member

Jul 2012
Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.ylo View Post
My favourites are things like "sci fi violence" and "fantasy violence" :P
My all time favorite was something along the lines lines "Traditional Godzilla Violence"
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America