Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Insurgent 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
How to Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mad Max: Fury Road 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$14.92
Mulholland Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Orange Is the New Black: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Far from the Madding Crowd (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Lost in Space (Blu-ray)
$129.99
Love & Mercy (Blu-ray)
$12.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Default An International Guide to Mario Bava on Blu-ray

An International Guide to Mario Bava on Blu-ray

"Movies are a magician's forge, they allow you to build a story with your hands.
What attracts me in movies is to be presented with a problem and be able to solve it.
Nothing else; just to create an illusion, and effect, with almost nothing.
That's the best thing about it."
- Mario Bava

By year of original release:

Pre-existing threads:

Black Sunday Steelbook (Zavvi Exclusive) (Limited Edition) (UK)
First Mario Bava on Blu-ray
Kino/Lober's Black Sabbath (1963)
Mario Bava's Black Sunday
Mario Bava finds Redemption and embraces Satan
Mario Bava's WHIP AND THE BODY

Not (yet?) on Bluray:

I, Vampiri (1956) (co-directed with Riccardo Freda) (included in standard definition on Arrow's edition of Black Sunday)
Caltiki, the Immortal Monster (1959) (co-directed with Riccardo Freda)
Hercules in the Haunted Word (1961)
Erik the Conquerer (1961)
The Road to Fort Alamo (1964)
Knives of the Avenger (1966)
Kill Baby, Kill (1966) (As of July 2015, Kino are 'working on it')
Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs (1966)
Danger: Diabolik (1968)
Roy Colt (1970)
Four Times that Night (1972)
Beyond the Door II (1977)

Links/resources:

Trailers From Hell
Tim Lucas' Mario Bava: All the Colors of the Dark book (print version is SOLD OUT, digital download available here)
Facebook page for Tim Lucas' Mario Bava: All the Colors of the Dark book, with Bava-related photos and news
Facebook page for Troy Howarth's recently updated The Haunted World of Mario Bava book
Senses of Cinema
Arrow Films' Bava page

Last edited by NoirFan; 07-20-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Thanks given by:
blogan (09-10-2014), cakefactory (09-11-2014), Clark Kent (10-07-2014), djvaso (09-12-2014), Erasmus Craven (09-19-2014), HanaBi (09-11-2014), isaacredfield (10-03-2014), Kriztoffer Swank (09-11-2014), Mansinthe (09-12-2014), MifuneFan (09-10-2014), spargs (09-19-2014), wickedmiranda (09-20-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Discussions:

Trailers:

[Show spoiler]

Trailers (From Hell):

Last edited by NoirFan; 09-13-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2012
Georgia

Thank you.

I purchased and enjoyed my first two Mario Bava films this past month, Kino's Italian versions of Black Sunday and Black Sabbath. I love both movies, and the discs are spot-on.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011

Thanks for posting this. I wasn't aware that Troy Howarth's Bava book was re-released. Will have to pick that up...now. The Lucas book? Ah...want it, but it's expensive.
Wanted:
Warner Bros UK 90th Anniversary slipcover: 'A Clockwork Orange'
Criterion: 'The Third Man' Digipak (do NOT need discs or booklets)
Studio Canal Collection Nordic Edition slipcovers for digibook releases
Disney UK 3D slipcover for 'Frozen'
Old 09-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Great thread. I've only seen a handful of his movies, but they've all been good to great.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #6

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I wasn't aware that Troy Howarth's Bava book was re-released. Will have to pick that up...now. The Lucas book? Ah...want it, but it's expensive.
If you go to the Video Watchdog site, you can get a digital version of Tim Lucas' book for $30. I went this route myself to save some money and I don't have much empty shelf space.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
Special Member

Aug 2010

Kino's bd of BLACK SABBATH is poor. Completely inaccurate colors, just like their WHIP & THE BODY.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
Kino's bd of BLACK SABBATH is poor. Completely inaccurate colors, just like their WHIP & THE BODY.
I believe Kino's Bay of Blood is the only one that is said to be better than Arrow's version. With all other cases, go with the Arrow release if you're region free (or can somehow pla them with some region trick)
Thanks given by:
cakefactory (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 01:18 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Someone really needs to release kill baby kill, despite the stupid title it's almost on par with black Sunday and black Sabbath IMO. The dark sky DVD is almost impossible to find, too.
Thanks given by:
MifuneFan (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 01:26 AM   #10
Special Member

Aug 2010

It is impossible to find. It was only sent out for reviews before being pulled. I actually found a sealed copy at a record store in Chicago -- someone had traded it in. Cost? $20.

Companies are interested but there's some problems behind the scenes that are preventing it's release (last I heard, about a month or two ago).
Thanks given by:
cakefactory (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 04:37 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
It is impossible to find. It was only sent out for reviews before being pulled. I actually found a sealed copy at a record store in Chicago -- someone had traded it in. Cost? $20.

Companies are interested but there's some problems behind the scenes that are preventing it's release (last I heard, about a month or two ago).
Oh, I didn't realize that was the case with it, but it doesn't surprise me since it's never on amazon marketplace or anything. It was just weird cause I saw a bunch of reviews for it when it was "released." That stinks.

I didn't know a couple of these releases existed. Whip and the Body I'm not familiar with, and Hatchet for the Honeymoon I never knew had been released. I'll have to buy the latter for sure, and read up on the first.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:24 AM   #12
Expert Member

May 2013
Toronto
Thumbs up

Really hope this thread gets more action!

(and still looking forward to Kidnapped from Arrow!)
Old 09-11-2014, 05:28 AM   #13
Expert Member

Mar 2013
-

I`m new to the cause, here. I have always heard his name and the films he made. Never got around to seeing any of his films until recently (over the last several years). Have caught Hercules In the Haunted World on local television late night. And, had rented Planet of the Vampires. Currently started watching Black Sabbath. Just read that the US cut is different. Netflix only had the US cut so I had to resort to watching it on youtube to see the original version. I think I have my work cut out for me to track down the original versions of the films and see what differences there are. But, I hope to watch all of the films listed here someday.

Is Planet of the Vampires recent blu ray release the original or has it been edited? I was thinking about getting it.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:40 AM   #14
Expert Member

May 2013
Toronto
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
I`m new to the cause, here. I have always heard his name and the films he made. Never got around to seeing any of his films until recently (over the last several years). Have caught Hercules In the Haunted World on local television late night. And, had rented Planet of the Vampires. Currently started watching Black Sabbath. Just read that the US cut is different. Netflix only had the US cut so I had to resort to watching it on youtube to see the original version. I think I have my work cut out for me to track down the original versions of the films and see what differences there are. But, I hope to watch all of the films listed here someday.

Is Planet of the Vampires recent blu ray release the original or has it been edited? I was thinking about getting it.
The Bava legacy is a complicated one.
In terms on BDs, in general the UK Arrow releases are thought more highly of than the North American Kino versions. "Black Sabbath" being a prime example where Kino only offer one cut of the film while the Arrow has both.

Personally I have refrained from getting the Kino "Rabid Dogs" because the Arrow version promises to have both versions of the fim. This release keeps getting pushed back but I am willing to wait because I want the best possible version.
If for some reason Arrow changes the details regarding their release, I will gladly order the Kino edition.
But I sure do hope that doesn't happen....
Old 09-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
"Them!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauvoir View Post
The Bava legacy is a complicated one.
In terms on BDs, in general the UK Arrow releases are thought more highly of than the North American Kino versions. "Black Sabbath" being a prime example where Kino only offer one cut of the film while the Arrow has both....
As of 10/7/14, Kino was going to have both versions for Sabbath & Sunday too, but they've since been pulled from the release schedule. At least for the time being.
[Show spoiler]

Though for price, quality, and extras, Arrow's releases are still the most complete.

Last edited by lilboyblu; 09-28-2014 at 09:28 PM. Reason: modified post due to cancellation
Old 09-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
I believe Kino's Bay of Blood is the only one that is said to be better than Arrow's version. With all other cases, go with the Arrow release if you're region free (or can somehow pla them with some region trick)
For Region A folk, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Kino discs outside those two. Kino seems to be finally getting around to releasing the AIP cuts, in the case of Sabbath and Sunday at least. They also got crap for not releasing Rabid Dogs, but as it turns out even Arrow wasn't able to pull that one off. Arrow is releasing an HD/SD hybrid as a result.
Wanted:
Warner Bros UK 90th Anniversary slipcover: 'A Clockwork Orange'
Criterion: 'The Third Man' Digipak (do NOT need discs or booklets)
Studio Canal Collection Nordic Edition slipcovers for digibook releases
Disney UK 3D slipcover for 'Frozen'
Old 09-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
The version on Kino's upcoming disc will assumedly be the AIP version, as opposed to/in addition to the Italian-language one (I'm not sure offhand what the differences are, other than the dubbing), but I don't think it's been officially finalized/announced. There will be a 'ton of' (to use Kino's words) extras, so perhaps multiple versions will be included after all.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

Sorry if this is already known but Tim Lucas is also selling a digital version of his mega-book on Bava on his website for 30$.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #19

Oct 2010
north star

I would be all over a high def Blood and Black Lace, to me the seminal giallo. The DVD is quite blurry and it could look amazing if done well on Bluray.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:50 AM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

I've updated the second post with every Bava trailer I could find (with the best-looking versions available on YouTube), so check 'em out. Although mostly known for his work in the horror genre, Bava also directed Westerns, sex comedies, Sword and Sandal epics, and spy flicks. Not all are classics, but the trailers are usually pretty cool - stylish, hypnotic, and sometimes wordless (I assume this was done in order to let the various overseas markets commission their own voice-over narration?).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America