Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.95
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$54.49
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingsman: The Secret Service (Blu-ray)
$35.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Society (Blu-ray)
$25.29
Justified: The Complete Final Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$109.99
The Cat Returns (Blu-ray)
$25.89
The Killers (Blu-ray)
$35.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #1

Oct 2010
Default Cannibal Holocaust - Grindhouse (US) Blu-ray

Cannibal Holocaust Blu-ray

Surfing the web I found some indications of an upcoming release. First from production company High Rising Productions:

http://highrisingproductions.com/home.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Rising Productions
Our work can be seen on most of the Arrow Video range (including The Beyond, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Cat O Nine Tails, The Fantastic Factory box set, Vamp and many, many more), Anchor Bay's Blu Ray release of I Spit on your Grave, Shout Factory's release of Starcrash and we are currently slogging it out on Grindhouse Releasing's upcoming Blu Ray of Cannibal Holocaust.
Also found this at the Digital Spy forums:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1474896
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanner
I emailed Grindhouse yesterday,and here is there reply

we are still working on it, but no firm dates yet. We just recorded a new commentary track with Carl Yorke and Francesca Ciardi for the new release, as well as an exhaustive career interview with Ruggero Deoadto,
More to come
So it would appear that a US release is a least forthcoming.

Last edited by Blu Titan; 03-17-2015 at 04:37 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
Special Member

Feb 2009

Nice. I hope they replicate the same type of packaging from the limited edition
Old 06-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Great news!! Let's hope they include the animal cruelty free version as well.

This will be a day 1 purchase for me!

Top 5 movies: 1. Eraserhead (Lynch) 2. Man Bites Dog (Belvaux/Bonzel/Poelvoorde)
3. Singapore Sling (Nikolaidis) 4. Repulsion (Polanski) 5. The Seventh Seal (Bergman)
Old 06-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Special Member

Apr 2010
Western Australia

Awesome day 1 for me. Man I can't believe how many horror films have been announced for bluray my wallet is gonna take a slug!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #5

Mar 2009

Great News!!
I hope they will be able to release it this Halloween season.
Or they want to save it for the 2012 season
But awesome that even Grindhouse is going Blu now.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
Special Member

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoni View Post
Great news!! Let's hope they include the animal cruelty free version as well.

I'm sure they will. Though it would not matter to me if they did. Sure Deodato regrets now shooting those scenes (or as least saying that to try and save face) But it is a part of the film and its history. It was also basically a requirement for this Italian sub-genre. Why try and hide the fact or censure your film over it. You don't see people getting all worked up about Starship Troopers for having children stomp on cockroaches.

And it is funny, people hate all this animal killing in the film, yet no one sheds a tear for the spider that was killed :\
Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by stobbart View Post
I'm sure they will. Though it would not matter to me if they did. Sure Deodato regrets now shooting those scenes (or as least saying that to try and save face) But it is a part of the film and its history. It was also basically a requirement for this Italian sub-genre. Why try and hide the fact or censure your film over it. You don't see people getting all worked up about Starship Troopers for having children stomp on cockroaches.

And it is funny, people hate all this animal killing in the film, yet no one sheds a tear for the spider that was killed :\
I see your point, and I agree. But if I can choose to see a version without the animal cruelty, I'll go for that. I've seen the footage several times already, so I have no need to see it again.

And I did an interview with Deodato for Norwegian Broadcasting during Fright Fest in Oslo last year, and we talked about the animal footage. With the exception of the rat and the spider, the natives and film crew ate all the animals they killed. So at least something godd came out of it...
Top 5 movies: 1. Eraserhead (Lynch) 2. Man Bites Dog (Belvaux/Bonzel/Poelvoorde)
3. Singapore Sling (Nikolaidis) 4. Repulsion (Polanski) 5. The Seventh Seal (Bergman)
Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Western Kentucky

I'm glad to see this news, if only because it shows that Grindhouse Releasing is doing Blu-Rays; and as such, maybe we'll see them release a Blu-Ray of The Beyond in the US (yes, I know Arrow's Blu-Ray is Region Free, but the bonus DVD is PAL, which my TV can't play).
#1 WEE MAN FAN
http://mtrodaba2468.dvdaf.com
1000 Blu-Rays as of 11/09/13: John Cassavetes: Five Films: Criterion Collection
1600 Blu-Rays as of 2/17/15: Game Of Thrones: Season 4
Old 06-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Expert Member

Dec 2010
Maryland, USA
Send a message via MSN to The Dark Uniter Send a message via Skype™ to The Dark Uniter

I might get this since I've heard so much about this film.
My Youtube Channel for Unboxings and More!:
http://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O
Old 06-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 View Post
I'm glad to see this news, if only because it shows that Grindhouse Releasing is doing Blu-Rays; and as such, maybe we'll see them release a Blu-Ray of The Beyond in the US (yes, I know Arrow's Blu-Ray is Region Free, but the bonus DVD is PAL, which my TV can't play).
In another thread somewhere, it was posted that Grindhouse was working on The Beyond.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
Special Member

Mar 2011
NYC
USA

Been waiting for this one, wonder if Sylvester Stallone's son Sage is still involved with Grindhouse Releasing.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #12

Jul 2011
Nottingham UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForEver Blu View Post
Been waiting for this one, wonder if Sylvester Stallone's son Sage is still involved with Grindhouse Releasing.
Yes my firiend sage is still there!! I emailed him before about the release of cannibal holocaust on blu ray.I'm the one who was linked at the top of this thread.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #13
Power Member

Nov 2008
Minnesota

Oh man, how did this news slip me by? I'm ecstatic that Grindhouse Releasing are doing Cannibal Holocaust on Blu-ray. I think their DVDs are of high quality (even if their standalone release of The Beyond is lesser than the one they put out with Anchor Bay, which is weird—and no, it didn't take a side-by-side comparison for me to realize this, I noticed the moment I popped the sucker in and it looked kinda hazy and dissimilar from my AB disc ), and Bob Murawski did a great job on the Evil Dead restoration and transfer, so I'm hoping for something really good—AND something that will wipe the floor with the HD telecines coming out of Rome. Glad to hear they're also doing their own release of The Beyond, hopefully from a brand-new telecine (otherwise it just won't matter that much).

If GR release their whole catalog on Blu-ray before long and in great quality, that'd be a treat. I want Pieces on BD and containing both versions like the DVD does (WITHOUT the Spanish version's intro/opening credits being tucked away as an extra, however). I Drink Your Blood and Cannibal Ferox in HD? Oh, hell yes. I'd also like for Gone with the Pope and An American Hippie in Israel (along with other films they hold the rights to, I'm sure) to finally, finally come out on video and in HD from the get-go.

So, any new news on Cannibal Holocaust, or is it gonna take GR years to get it done?
"I can't forgive myself for having lied to you. I don't have a degree in biology. Never even finished high school. I haven't read more than two books in my whole life. One, never finished. And the other is the phone book."

Last edited by Kriztoffer Swank; 12-06-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #14

Feb 2012

I wonder what's happening with this....

and if Grindhouse is even still functioning without Sage.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergqvistjl View Post
It will be interesting to compare the special features though between the UK and US ones.
Considering there's been no further news on the US release in about a year-and-a-half, and with the recent passing of Sage Stallone, I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing this actually get released any time soon...
Old 10-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
Special Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

No, Grindhouse were quite slow before, but after the untimely passing of sage Stallone I wonder if we will ever seen anything from them again. Bob Murakawski (sp?) does have plenty to do in his career as an editor.
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Blood and Black Lace, Kill Baby Kill, L'avventura, Don't Look Now (remaster), The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979), Carnival of Souls, Cat People (1942), I walked with a Zombie, Don't Go in the House.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #17

Oct 2010

I know prior to Sage's passing a bunch of the guys from Grindhouse were going to be working on Raimi's Oz film so virtually everything was being put on hold, but in light of the tragedy surrounding Sage who knows if they'll even continue to operate.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #18

Jan 2008
Penticton, B.C.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but has there been any further developments regarding the US blu ray release? I'll admit to being very tempted to bite the bullet and order the Shameless version of amazon.uk.
Region free since 2012, best decision I ever made! :D

xboxlive: TwitchofDethNrv
Old 01-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

I'm not expecting a US Blu - broke down and purchased the Shameless disc. It'll have to do.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlock View Post
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but has there been any further developments regarding the US blu ray release? I'll admit to being very tempted to bite the bullet and order the Shameless version of amazon.uk.
I suggest you order the UK release. I'm not expecting this to be released here.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America