Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Old 04-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #1

Feb 2012
Default Blue Planet?

Hiya:

I'm a HUGE David Attenborough fan and that's why I picked-up Blue Planet on Blu-Ray. I understood it was shot in 35 and 16mm and is only an Improvement over the DVD in the slightest of ways... But, like I said - Big Fan here.

I've owned 2 now and sent both back. I can deal with the barely passable HD but the Audio is dreadful and terribly annoying. At first I thought some of the Music was using some synthesized effect as part of the Soundtrack to make the Music sound like it was Underwater (which makes ironic sense), but when I compared it to my DVD, the Blu-Ray is definitely having some Audio problems.

It sounds like some strange phasing problem that kinda wobbles and sounds underwater. Very strange indeed.

There was a short time where Amazon stopped selling it right after I returned the two I bought, I assume, because of this problem, but now its back up for sale.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem... and if the problem was fixed by the BBC Studio folks... and... If it indeed was fixed, is there a way to know what the fixed version is before buying it?

FYI: I'm playing it on my PS3.

Thanx!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Hiya:

I'm a HUGE David Attenborough fan and that's why I picked-up Blue Planet on Blu-Ray. I understood it was shot in 35 and 16mm and is only an Improvement over the DVD in the slightest of ways... But, like I said - Big Fan here.

I've owned 2 now and sent both back. I can deal with the barely passable HD but the Audio is dreadful and terribly annoying. At first I thought some of the Music was using some synthesized effect as part of the Soundtrack to make the Music sound like it was Underwater (which makes ironic sense), but when I compared it to my DVD, the Blu-Ray is definitely having some Audio problems.

It sounds like some strange phasing problem that kinda wobbles and sounds underwater. Very strange indeed.

There was a short time where Amazon stopped selling it right after I returned the two I bought, I assume, because of this problem, but now its back up for sale.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem... and if the problem was fixed by the BBC Studio folks... and... If it indeed was fixed, is there a way to know what the fixed version is before buying it?

FYI: I'm playing it on my PS3.

Thanx!!!
The audio is a major disappointment indeed. There are definitely times where his voice sounds slightly sped up, sounds out of phase and whatever else you described. This isn't your player, just a piss poor release.
2012 favs: Prometheus, Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures, Universal Classic Monsters, The Terminator (UK), E.T. (digibook), JAWS (digibook), Walking Dead Season 2 w/ Zombie Head, Full Metal Jacket (digibook), Star Trek TNG Season 1, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Casablanca, Game of Thrones Season 1, Cleopatra (UK)
Old 04-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #3

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
The audio is a major disappointment indeed. There are definitely times where his voice sounds slightly sped up, sounds out of phase and whatever else you described. This isn't your player, just a piss poor release.
Dang... and the Audio on the DVD is MUCH better too!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #4
Power Member

Jan 2007
Washington, DC

Darn,

was about to finally pick this up to get rid of the horrid MPEG-2 artifact-ridden DVD set when I read about this audio problem. Sheesh!
LOSSLESS audio... something that belongs on EVERY Blu-ray Disc. Every one. Warner and Paramount: take a lesson.

If it's not 1.5 screen widths, it's not "Home Theater" -it's TV.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:18 AM   #5

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Darn,
was about to finally pick this up to get rid of the horrid MPEG-2 artifact-ridden DVD set when I read about this audio problem. Sheesh!
Its a conundrum... The image is just the teensiest bit better than the DVD... But it is better. The Audio is awful on the two I owned. Very disappointing.

It still seems so odd to me that a Blu-Ray Company would go to all the trouble to Re-master (sorta) and Re-author a Blu-Ray... and it turns out basically not as good as the crappy DVD...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
bbc, blue planet, life on earth