Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, From $3.99 »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99
2 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$11.99
1 hr ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$11.99
30 min ago
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 hr ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
4 hrs ago
Big Trouble in Little China (Blu-ray)
$3.99
45 min ago
Rush (Blu-ray)
$7.99
4 hrs ago
Downton Abbey: Seasons 1, 2, 3 & 4 (Blu-ray)
$39.99
4 hrs ago
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
Old 07-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
Power Member

Oct 2009
United States
Default The Dirty Dozen: What happened?

As posting a review for this film appears to be removed and one wonders why, I'll throw one out here: A classic movie with such poor PQ. At least 50 percent of this Blu-ray presentation looks no better than the DVD. This may be the winner for inconsistency. There are some scenes that actually look good, but they are so often preceeded or followed by utter crap that one is left in complete dismay. From color shifts to contrast shifts to softness to heavy grain/dirt........it's all there in large quantities. For such a memorable classic, I'm surprised this was ever put out in the condition it is in. The audio is what it is, not great but no where near the disaster we have in the PQ here. This movie needs a frame by frame restoration badly.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->89 SteelBooks™--------->133 UV-------->282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
As posting a review for this film appears to be removed and one wonders why, I'll throw one out here: A classic movie with such poor PQ. At least 50 percent of this Blu-ray presentation looks no better than the DVD. This may be the winner for inconsistency. There are some scenes that actually look good, but they are so often preceeded or followed by utter crap that one is left in complete dismay. From color shifts to contrast shifts to softness to heavy grain/dirt........it's all there in large quantities. For such a memorable classic, I'm surprised this was ever put out in the condition it is in. The audio is what it is, not great but no where near the disaster we have in the PQ here. This movie needs a frame by frame restoration badly.
I have the HD DVD and I felt it looked marginally better than the DVD. Enough to warrant the ~$8 I paid for it? Sure.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:43 AM   #3
Power Member

Oct 2009
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I have the HD DVD and I felt it looked marginally better than the DVD. Enough to warrant the ~$8 I paid for it? Sure.
And that's a problem. I love Blu-ray and I am pushing 300 titles now, but I'm coming across more and more examples as I replace my catalog that don't look much better than DVD or at least upconverted DVD.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->89 SteelBooks™--------->133 UV-------->282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
And that's a problem. I love Blu-ray and I am pushing 300 titles now, but I'm coming across more and more examples as I replace my catalog that don't look much better than DVD or at least upconverted DVD.
If you can get on BD for $10 or less then it's more than worth it.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

It's an old catalog title that came out in the format's infancy. They were still learning how to properly transfer films then, in addition to the fact that it was probably struck form the same master used to make the previous DVD, which isn't up to blu standards - same as the recent Spartacus disc.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Power Member

Oct 2009
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
If you can get on BD for $10 or less then it's more than worth it.
Your answer is a big problem. You're basically saying as long as the price is right, you'll take it. The transfer quality plays second fiddle for you. PQ should be first and foremost. On a classic title, that's even more required. If I had to pay 100 bucks for a properly transferred and restored title, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Expert Member

May 2010
Seattle

I am finding that I will rent first "OLDER" movies due to this very reason.

I don't care how 'cheap' the BR was, if the PQ blows I won't ever watch it twice which breaks the rule of purchase in the first place.
I don't need a BR sitting in my library to just say I have it or make a padded number.

If they can make the Wizard of Oz, a movie from the 30's look 'better than anything', they better start paying attention to PQ for BR aficianados.
Sony Bravia KDL-52XBR (120Hz)
LG BluRay BD390
Bose CineMate Digital Home Theater System

My Rotten Tomatoes page;
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/user/815744/reviews/
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America