Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
14 hrs ago
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
7 hrs ago
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
20 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

The Beyond (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players

Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
Special Member

Feb 2008
Region B
Default Which 3D Blu-ray players have an anaglyph (red/blue) output?

Which 3D Blu-ray players have an anaglyph (eg. red+blue/red+cyan/red+cyan glasses) output option when viewing the new type of 3D Blu-ray discs?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:10 AM   #2

Sep 2009
State of Relativity
Send a message via Yahoo to HiDefRev
Default BD players

AFAIK, none do. The 3D BD players all use HDMI outputs for 3D transmission to the 3D HDTVs that use shutter glasses. The multi colored glasses 3D system is a thing of the past.
Living Room: Samsung PN60F5500 3D Plasma HDTV, Samsung BD-F5900 3D Blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-NR626 3D 7.2 AV Receiver, BIC DV84 Front Tower Speakers, BIC DV62si Side Surround and Back Surround Speakers, BIC DV62 CLR-S Center Speaker, BIC RtR EV-1200 Subwoofers x2, DIRECTV HR44 Genie DVR, Monoprice cables
Master Bedroom: Vizio E470VL 1080p HDTV, DIRECTV Genie Client
Old 07-08-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
Special Member

Feb 2008
Region B

Insider Kjack said some players would do it though

http://forum.blu-ray.com/insider-dis...ml#post2793450

http://forum.blu-ray.com/insider-dis...ml#post2703669

Last edited by 4K2K; 07-08-2010 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #4

Dec 2009
Default i hope someone does

I was wondering the same thing. Such a facility would allow people to watch a 3d Blu-ray movie on any standard 2d display without having to mortgage their house to buy a 3d TV, not too mention the cost of several pairs of shutter glasses.

It sounds like something that would be relatively easy and cheap to do from a technical standpoint, and would be a good selling point for the vendors of Blu-ray players, although perhaps not so good for the vendors of 3d TV's. (The lower picture quality of anaglyphs versus the shutter glasses would mean that anyone who could afford a genuine 3d TV would not be inclined to the save the money and go for anaglpyh instead, so I doubt that sales of 3d TV's would be impacted to any great degree). IT might help spur the uptake of 3d Blu-ray players and 3d movies in general though.

It should also be possible for some enterprising manufacturer to put this kind of facility into a low cost converter box that plugs into the HDMI cable output.

Note that there are several new types of anaglyph technology (TriOViz, Colourcode 3D) which are superior to the older red/cyan technology, and can supposedly deliver very good results.

I have the anaglyph Blu-ray of "Journey to the Center of the Earth" which uses Green/Magenta glasses, and its not really that bad. There is some degree of color fringing and other visual abberations, but the 3d effect still comes across quite well.

I am sure that using one of the newer anaglyph technologies would give a quite enjoyable 3d experience for those of us who do not yet want to take the plunge and throw their 2D Plasma TV's into the bin.

I love 3D but am not too keen on the current 3D display technology. I don't mind passive glasses, which are light weight, very cheap and have no batteries to charge, but these heavy, expensive battery powered active shutter glasses don't really appeal very much. Of course the best technology is that which does not use any form of glasses - some day that will happen. I can wait.

In the meantime cheap anaglyph glasses and my trusty 2D Plasma would be fine. All I need is for some kind manufacturer to build a converter box and I will be happy.

Last edited by greenray; 08-11-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #5

Dec 2009
Default anaglyph version of PowerDVD?

It just occurred to me - maybe one of the PC software players such as PowerDVD might eventually offer this capability. It would allow 3D Blu-rays to be viewed on PC monitors. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:13 AM   #6

Dec 2009
Default PowerDVD version 10 does it

I have just run the trial version of PowerDVD 10, and it can produce red/cyan anaglyph output of 3D. Not having any actual Blu-ray 3D discs, I used the ability of PowerDVD 10 to convert a DVD on the fly to 3D, and it certainly works.

Shame it only supports the old and rather poor red/cyan anaglyphs rather than the newer better technologies such as TriOViz (advanced magenta/green). Perhaps these newer anaglyph technologies are so good they might undermine the new 3D TV tech the big companies have invested pots of money in? I wonder.

Last edited by greenray; 08-11-2010 at 03:38 AM. Reason: add extra info
Old 08-11-2010, 05:46 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenray View Post
I have just run the trial version of PowerDVD 10, and it can produce red/cyan anaglyph output of 3D. Not having any actual Blu-ray 3D discs, I used the ability of PowerDVD 10 to convert a DVD on the fly to 3D, and it certainly works.

Shame it only supports the old and rather poor red/cyan anaglyphs rather than the newer better technologies such as TriOViz (advanced magenta/green). Perhaps these newer anaglyph technologies are so good they might undermine the new 3D TV tech the big companies have invested pots of money in? I wonder.
TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum already has a 3D plugin.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #8

Dec 2009
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum already has a 3D plugin.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:50 AM   #9

Oct 2010

I havent checked out the 'newer' anaglyph stuff, but the old 1 certainly sucks. I hated the old style of 3d. I always felt like an idiot wearing those stupid paper glasses. And everything just looked like crap. Im always suprised when people want to taint the beauty of blu ray, with the absolute crap of anaglyph. But again, I havent checked out the newer stuff, so maybe its a lot better than the older stuff? Even so, I would bet Id rather watch something in 2d than anaglyph.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Hey,

I have some Blus that came with paper glasses(Coraline and Monsters Vs Aliens) and bought some higher quality plastic glasses from ebay (for $1).

The plastic glasses help. They are much better. But ... they don't compare to the type of 3D being marketed now with the new 3D Blus.

-Brian
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 11-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #11

Oct 2010
Default Anaglyph??

I personally haven't seen this on any player, although there was atleast one 3D tv I recently saw that had this as a icon in the menus. I honestly would recommend that red/blue or cyan is avoided. I love 3D and can't watch it myself. Color Code may be of interest but it still doesn't compare to LCS, polarized or auto. There is a program called stereoscopic player which may be of interest but after years of experience just get a panasonic 3D tv and a PS3. For the moment it's the best tv and the most versatile Blu-ray 3D player. If your budget doesn't allow then buy the "Blu-ray 3D" versions of the movies you like and wait till you can afford the rest.

3D Hardcore!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-
Send a message via AIM to Afrobean

Apologies on the bump, but this is very relevant to my interests, I can't find solid information, and this looks like the best avenue to ask.

I'm planning on buying only 3D discs from now on for films originally made in 3D, but I do not plan on buying a new TV or receiver for a while yet. I'm looking to buy a new player, so it would be nice if I could get a 3D player which allows me to see the 3D on the 3D discs I buy, even if the color is distorted to achieve it. In short: I'm hoping for a player which will decode a stereoscopic 3D Blu-ray into a single anaglyph 1080p image which can be sent over HDMI 1.3 through my receiver and on to my TV.

It sounds like there is definitely PC software which supports this, but I don't have a HTPC set up at present and do not wish to invest in a HTPC just to have this feature. I would have expected this would be a common feature on players, but I can't really find anything on it. It seems that I'm in the minority here in wanting to own 3D software without investing a ton of money in new hardware. Is PC software really my only option?
I need to stop buying so many movies and not getting around to watching them.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Apologies on the bump, but this is very relevant to my interests, I can't find solid information, and this looks like the best avenue to ask.

I'm planning on buying only 3D discs from now on for films originally made in 3D, but I do not plan on buying a new TV or receiver for a while yet. I'm looking to buy a new player, so it would be nice if I could get a 3D player which allows me to see the 3D on the 3D discs I buy, even if the color is distorted to achieve it. In short: I'm hoping for a player which will decode a stereoscopic 3D Blu-ray into a single anaglyph 1080p image which can be sent over HDMI 1.3 through my receiver and on to my TV.

It sounds like there is definitely PC software which supports this, but I don't have a HTPC set up at present and do not wish to invest in a HTPC just to have this feature. I would have expected this would be a common feature on players, but I can't really find anything on it. It seems that I'm in the minority here in wanting to own 3D software without investing a ton of money in new hardware. Is PC software really my only option?
I wouldn't be to worried about it. Converting to 3d on the go is horrible in both the 'new' kind of 3d and the old.

Quote:

lol, I hope your joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalkiller View Post
I personally haven't seen this on any player, although there was atleast one 3D tv I recently saw that had this as a icon in the menus. I honestly would recommend that red/blue or cyan is avoided. I love 3D and can't watch it myself. Color Code may be of interest but it still doesn't compare to LCS, polarized or auto. There is a program called stereoscopic player which may be of interest but after years of experience just get a panasonic 3D tv and a PS3. For the moment it's the best tv and the most versatile Blu-ray 3D player. If your budget doesn't allow then buy the "Blu-ray 3D" versions of the movies you like and wait till you can afford the rest.

3D Hardcore!
PS3 is far from the best and most versatlie 3d blu-ray player. Oppo's, panasonic and lg all have better 3d players.

Last edited by Suntory_Times; 01-10-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

While the PowerDVD software can do a "fake" 3D on the fly so to speak, I think it can also read a real 3D Blu Ray and display it as analglyph form using the information from the disc so this isn't 3D created on the go.

I've read a 3D Blu Ray has 2 encodes: a regular 2D version and a "difference" encode that gives the differences between one eye and the other.

So,... players that give anaglyph output should be "easy" to make. I do believe that the only reason they are not made is this type of solutions gives the 3D without purchase of new gear.

Honestly,.. I've been to some 3D movies and I think it's nifty but not like I'm going to go spend a few thousand dollars nifty. So for me a solution that works with what I have is a good solution.

Anaglyph 3D gives you full 1080p but it can alter the colors a bit. When It comes to 3D though... I don't care .... at least not now.

I would love for players to offer anaglyph. You can buy paper glasses at iparty for $1 or get plastic ones like sunglasses but with the colored lenses for about $1 each on Ebay.

Yes,... the computer seems to be the only way to get there for now. I would much rather have players support this as my HT has no "windows" and I prefer to keep it that way. (I hate Microsoft.)

-Brian
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 01-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #15

Feb 2011

Quote:
It should also be possible for some enterprising manufacturer to put this kind of facility into a low cost converter box that plugs into the HDMI cable output.
Sounds like an interesting project for someone to try, though there may be issues with licensing and the HDCP digital content protection involved making it cost preventative.

Along the same lines, I would love to see something that would work inline with the 3D Bluray player that would convert field-sequential DVD's into either an over/under format that the 3D TV can decode, or into an actual 3D signal (although much lower quality).

Stereoscopic player (and maybe the freeware Stereo Movie Player) seem to be the only answers for these questions right now.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players