COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Like Water for Chocolate (Blu-ray)
$9.29
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Tinto Brass: Maestro of Erotica Cinema (Blu-ray)
$45.34
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$110.00
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
The Gold Rush (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tekken 2: Kazuya's Revenge (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 09-17-2010, 03:21 AM   #61

Apr 2008
under a rock

No issues with the Crazies for me.
TV - Elite PRO-70X5FD | BD Player - Oppo BDP-103 | Streaming Media Player - Roku 3
Console - PlayStation 4 | Console - XBox One | Console - PlayStation 3 60GB | Console - XBox 360 Elite
Remote - Harmony One | Receiver - Denon AVR-X4000 | Amplifier - Emotiva XPA-5 | Sub - HSU VTF-15H
Fronts - Aperion Audio Verus Grand Towers | Center - Aperion Audio Verus Grand | Surrounds - Aperion Audio Verus Grand Bookshelves
Old 09-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #62
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian42677 View Post
Have you erased the cache data? Without a disc inside, press the Tools button then scroll down to BDMV Data Erase and erase it then try it again. I have the Crazies and will try it when I get home. I couldn't get disc 2 of Anchorman to play and erased the cache and played with no problem.
Ok I tried that....

City of the Living Dead plays now but Nine (musical) comes up with 'Unknown disc' and The Crazies comes up with 'Can't play'.

Yet all 3 worked fine on my old first gen, piece of crap, Sammy.
Modern
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player
Old 09-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #63

Apr 2008
under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Ok I tried that....

City of the Living Dead plays now but Nine (musical) comes up with 'Unknown disc' and The Crazies comes up with 'Can't play'.

Yet all 3 worked fine on my old first gen, piece of crap, Sammy.
Sorry it's not working out for you. There is a firmware 1.66 which was released for service centers but not the public which may help you. People have loaded it and reported no issues after installing it. And I mean no issues as in it didn't break anything that wasn't broken. It wouldn't hurt to try it.

http://www.hippotechsolutions.com/?p=2499

Click on the blue "Download the ISO" near the bottom which should take you to a Mediafire website which houses the firmware ISO. Don't be alarmed by the name of the file. The LX71 is the Euro name for the same Pioneer's 05/51. Burn the ISO onto a disc and put it into the player. The player will say its finished but might not reset itself when done. Take the disc out and while use the front panel of the player and not the remote, press and hold "Stop" while pressing the "On" button. It'll restart itself in a second or two. You will have to go back into the setup and redo your settings. Also make sure to erase the cache again.

I'm giving you the steps just in case you might not know the procedures. Hopefully that will work.
TV - Elite PRO-70X5FD | BD Player - Oppo BDP-103 | Streaming Media Player - Roku 3
Console - PlayStation 4 | Console - XBox One | Console - PlayStation 3 60GB | Console - XBox 360 Elite
Remote - Harmony One | Receiver - Denon AVR-X4000 | Amplifier - Emotiva XPA-5 | Sub - HSU VTF-15H
Fronts - Aperion Audio Verus Grand Towers | Center - Aperion Audio Verus Grand | Surrounds - Aperion Audio Verus Grand Bookshelves
Old 09-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #64
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian42677 View Post
Sorry it's not working out for you. There is a firmware 1.66 which was released for service centers but not the public which may help you. People have loaded it and reported no issues after installing it. And I mean no issues as in it didn't break anything that wasn't broken. It wouldn't hurt to try it.

http://www.hippotechsolutions.com/?p=2499
Are there any firmware updates like that for the Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD player?
Old 09-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #65

Apr 2008
under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post
Are there any firmware updates like that for the Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD player?
To be honest, I don't know since I don't have that model.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:41 AM   #66
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

I called Pioneer and they were like 'yup, uh huh, ok, thanks for calling'.
Modern
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV
Old 10-23-2010, 03:28 AM   #67
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Won't play Apocalypse Now either....effin POS!
Modern
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV
Old 10-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #68
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Won't play Grindhouse....
Modern
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV
Old 10-24-2010, 05:22 AM   #69
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Someone on another thread suggested getting a cleaning disc. Frankly I didn't even know such things existed (never had to clean a DVD player).

But I found one and ordered it from Amazon. So I'll see if it makes a difference and post back.
Modern
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV
Old 11-16-2010, 04:49 AM   #70
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Pioneer just released a new firmware update - v1.69a

I'll install it tomorrow and see if all my problem discs will now play.
Modern
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV
Old 11-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #71
Banned

Nov 2010

Quote:

I installed new pioneer firmware v.1.69 and is working ok, thanks for sharing. One mention is it looks like it is taking longer to load disc but not more than 1/2 seconds...
Old 11-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #72
Special Member

Jan 2008
along the beltway

Quote:

What are your problem discs? I have none in my collection [as far as playing them on my Pioneer BD players] and was wondering what issues you were having with them.
2D LOYALIST

Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD + Pioneer BDP-320
Sony Bravia KDL-40V4100 + Pioneer BDP-51FD
Vizio VA370M + Pioneer BDP-320
Samsung LNT3253H +Sony BDP-S300
Pioneer VSX819HK + Polk Audio Monitor 70s + Polk Audio RM8+ Mirage MM6

Old 11-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #73

Apr 2008
under a rock

I had an issue with my 05 a couple of weeks ago. It wouldn't load T2: Skynet Edition. I had to erase the BD Data about 5 times in a row for it to work. Someone suggested that maybe I had a faulty SD card inside it. I opened up the player and removed the 256MB SD card that was in there and installed a 2GB I had lying around and have had no issues with it loading anymore. I also updated the player to 1.69a last week.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #74
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Nope. Still doesn't play Apocalypse Now or Grindhouse or Nine (musical) or The Crazies....

Guess I either wait a year for the next update so I can watch the movies I bought months ago or I toss the POS in the landfill.

Actually before I do that I'll try the SD card swap. I just don't know why it works fine on 95% of the discs but consistently refuses to play the other 5% - and the discs are fine because they play in my piece of crap 1st gen Sammy just fine.
Modern
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV

Last edited by Pondosinatra; 11-16-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:39 AM   #75
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafi View Post
What are your problem discs? I have none in my collection [as far as playing them on my Pioneer BD players] and was wondering what issues you were having with them.
It'll say loading...and then eventually it'll come up with either 'cannot play disc' or 'unknown disc'.
Modern
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV
Old 11-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #76

Dec 2008
Langley , British Columbia Canada

I have had no problem with Crazies on my Pioneer either,but i think i am going to install the new firmware anyways!
Main Theater : Vutec 100" screen, Epson 9500 projector, Pioneer Elite SC07 reciever.Anthem MCA 30 3 Channel Amp. Paradigm Reference Studio 100v5 up front with a Paradigm Reference Studio 690v5 center, Paradigm ADP 390 surrounds. Front speakers wired with Monster Cable Z series bi wire cable. Velodyne Optimum 12 subwoofer and Paradigm PW2500 subwoofer moved to the back for the .2 of the system. Pioneer Elite BDP 23fd Blu ray player. APC J15 power conditioner with battery backup..
Old 11-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #77
Special Member

Jan 2008
along the beltway

Quote:
Nope. Still doesn't play Apocalypse Now or Grindhouse or Nine (musical) or The Crazies....

Guess I either wait a year for the next update so I can watch the movies I bought months ago or I toss the POS in the landfill.

Actually before I do that I'll try the SD card swap. I just don't know why it works fine on 95% of the discs but consistently refuses to play the other 5% - and the discs are fine because they play in my piece of crap 1st gen Sammy just fine.
I'll run The Crazies on my 51D when I get home. It did play on my 320s without any issues.
2D LOYALIST

Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD + Pioneer BDP-320
Sony Bravia KDL-40V4100 + Pioneer BDP-51FD
Vizio VA370M + Pioneer BDP-320
Samsung LNT3253H +Sony BDP-S300
Pioneer VSX819HK + Polk Audio Monitor 70s + Polk Audio RM8+ Mirage MM6

Old 11-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #78

Jan 2009
Default Beauty and the Beast problem

Hi!
I have this player for two years now. What I had problems previously (not too much thank God) were all solved with firmware updates.

However recently I bought Disney's new Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray edition and it does not play.... It gives me the language selection menu, then it plays 2 or 3 theatrical trailers, and show the sign that the main movie is loading and then.... nothing happens. The player freezes and I have to unplug it and plug it back to be able to get the disc out....

Am I right that the disc is not faulty if it plays anything else before the feature? Should I return the disc to the shop and change it?

Last week a new firmware 1.69a came out.... I happily updated it, thinking that now it will play Beautí and the Beast.... but no.... the same symptoms.... I don't know what to do.... Wait for a new firmware, which I hope will come very soon (the letter "a" in the current version makes me think so), or should I return the disc to the shop??????

thanks any answers....

anyway: COULD YOU CHECK THIS DISC WHETHER IT PLAYS FINE FOR YOU OR NOT? thanks.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #79
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by domok View Post
Hi!
I have this player for two years now. What I had problems previously (not too much thank God) were all solved with firmware updates.

However recently I bought Disney's new Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray edition and it does not play.... It gives me the language selection menu, then it plays 2 or 3 theatrical trailers, and show the sign that the main movie is loading and then.... nothing happens. The player freezes and I have to unplug it and plug it back to be able to get the disc out....

Am I right that the disc is not faulty if it plays anything else before the feature? Should I return the disc to the shop and change it?

Last week a new firmware 1.69a came out.... I happily updated it, thinking that now it will play Beautí and the Beast.... but no.... the same symptoms.... I don't know what to do.... Wait for a new firmware, which I hope will come very soon (the letter "a" in the current version makes me think so), or should I return the disc to the shop??????

thanks any answers....

You probably won't see another FW update for at least six months...
Modern
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV
Old 11-19-2010, 02:18 AM   #80

Apr 2008
under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by domok View Post
Hi!

thanks any answers....

Beauty And The Beast plays fine on my 05. Just tested it out for you.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders