Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$123.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Spartacus: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$108.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$75.99
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Treme: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Treme: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players

Old 05-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #1

Aug 2007
Rockland, MA
Default 3d Question

hdmi.org

Quote:
What kind of cable will I need to use for 3D?

3D video requires substantial data throughput, so you’ll want to use a High Speed HDMI cable (with or without Ethernet).
Quote:
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/3d.aspx

All High Speed HDMI cables will support 3D when connected to 3D devices. You can use your existing High Speed HDMI cables.

I just bought a 63" Samsung 3d TV but I want to use the Panasonic 3d Blu-ray play because of the 2 HDMI outputs. Is this possible or do i need the Samsung player. The reason I ask is because of the Glasses. I don't think it matters but does anyone have a definate answer.
Samsung PN63C8000 63" 1080p 3D Plasma
Panasonic PT-AE4000U Projector
Onkyo TX-NR905
Playstation 3
Panasonic DMP-BDT350 3D
Mirage Omnisat v2 FS,CC,SAT
Mirage Omni S10 Sub.

Last edited by crackinhedz; 05-25-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #2

Jan 2010

You don't need to match brands of 3D TV to 3D Blu Ray players. Any 3D TV works with any 3D Blu Ray player.

As for the glasses, they work directly with the TV, so if you have a Samsung TV, you need to buy Samsung 3D glasses. They have a 'Starter Kit' that includes a 3D Blu Ray, 'Monsters Vs Aliens'.
3D Kit: Toshiba 42VL863B and Sony S480 BD 3D Player
Old 05-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Power Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD3Dfan View Post
You don't need to match brands of 3D TV to 3D Blu Ray players. Any 3D TV works with any 3D Blu Ray player.

As for the glasses, they work directly with the TV, so if you have a Samsung TV, you need to buy Samsung 3D glasses. They have a 'Starter Kit' that includes a 3D Blu Ray, 'Monsters Vs Aliens'.
Well half right for now. Glasses will be universal when mass adoption happens. So I have heard, just flip over the Panny glasses to watch the Sammy and vice versa.

And for your Home Theater if you do not have a PS3, you will have to go all HDMI 1.4 with your gear so you might have to get a new AVReciever...I think

Last edited by that1guystudios; 08-10-2010 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Power Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogger114 View Post
I just bought a 63" Samsung 3d TV but I want to use the Panasonic 3d Blu-ray play because of the 2 HDMI outputs. Is this possible or do i need the Samsung player. The reason I ask is because of the Glasses. I don't think it matters but does anyone have a definate answer.
I was wondering why you wanted 2 HDMI outputs until I saw that they are doing that to combat the 1.4 issue. Sweet!

The glasses match with the TV and not the content
Old 07-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
Banned

Jul 2010
Default 3d Question

what is the most suitable 3D software to make animated movies. i am still in high school so i am not experienced. also if it was free it would be better
Old 08-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #6

Jul 2007
Question

I have just also purchased the Samsung 63" 8000 series plasma TV. I have a PS3 and a Yamaha receiver RX-V3800.

I bought the Audioquest Chocolate HDMI cable (it says high speed: 1080p/120hz - 3D - audio return channel) to connect from PS3 to the TV.

I already have the PS3 connected to the receiver for sound.

Do I need anything else for my setup to watch 3D?

I'm a little nervous because it is my first big TV purchase and I want everything to work properly. :0

Thanks so much!
J
Old 08-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
3D Moderator

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Christ View Post
Well half right for now. Glasses will be universal when mass adoption happens. So I have heard, just flip over the Panny glasses to watch the Sammy and vice versa.

And for your HT if you do not have a PS3, you will have to go all HDM! 4.1 with your gear so you might have to get a new AVR...I think
I get to play with 3D TV's and Glasses all day at Best Buy/Magnolia.
Even though multiple articles state you can flip the Samsung Glasses and they work with the Panasonic, this is not completely true. You have to have a Samsung 3D set in the same room, and in the same direction as the Panasonic, since the glasses only come on when they detect the Samsung in the same room. Also, the tint in the glasses is completely different, so the image looks really bad. Therefore the glasses aren't quite universal. Since most customers at home would not have 2 3-D sets from different brands sitting next to each other in the same room of their home, they aren't compatible.
3D TV: Panasonic TC-P58VT25 | RECEIVER: Onkyo TX-SR708 Network 3D Receiver | BLU-RAY: Sony BDP-S780 w 2D to 3D conversion + 120 GB PS3 SLIM w/500GB Hard Drive Mod | DirecTV HD HR-24 3D Receiver | Mac Mini
SPEAKERS: Front - 2 Klipsch WF-34 Cabernet / Rears 4 Klipsch VS-14's / Klipsch WC-24 Center / Klipsch Sub SW-450
Old 08-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
3D Moderator

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabear View Post
I have just also purchased the Samsung 63" 8000 series plasma TV. I have a PS3 and a Yamaha receiver RX-V3800.

I bought the Audioquest Chocolate HDMI cable (it says high speed: 1080p/120hz - 3D - audio return channel) to connect from PS3 to the TV.

I already have the PS3 connected to the receiver for sound.

Do I need anything else for my setup to watch 3D?

I'm a little nervous because it is my first big TV purchase and I want everything to work properly. :0

Thanks so much!
J
Yes, you have the right HDMI cable, and it sounds like you have it hooked up right to the TV for Video. I'm assuming that you have the Optical cable running to the receiver from the PS3 for sound. This will result in only Dolby Digital and DTS sound, no lossless audio (TrueHD or DTS-HD MA) can be passed through the optical cord. Also, keep in mind that the PS3 is only 3D capable for games as of right now, 3D movie playback won't be available for at least a month or two. (Probably September 15th or around that time.)
3D TV: Panasonic TC-P58VT25 | RECEIVER: Onkyo TX-SR708 Network 3D Receiver | BLU-RAY: Sony BDP-S780 w 2D to 3D conversion + 120 GB PS3 SLIM w/500GB Hard Drive Mod | DirecTV HD HR-24 3D Receiver | Mac Mini
SPEAKERS: Front - 2 Klipsch WF-34 Cabernet / Rears 4 Klipsch VS-14's / Klipsch WC-24 Center / Klipsch Sub SW-450
Old 08-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #9

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guypictures View Post
Yes, you have the right HDMI cable, and it sounds like you have it hooked up right to the TV for Video. I'm assuming that you have the Optical cable running to the receiver from the PS3 for sound. This will result in only Dolby Digital and DTS sound, no lossless audio (TrueHD or DTS-HD MA) can be passed through the optical cord. Also, keep in mind that the PS3 is only 3D capable for games as of right now, 3D movie playback won't be available for at least a month or two. (Probably September 15th or around that time.)
Hi, yes, I am going to connect the HDMI cable from PS3 to TV.

Is it then possible to connect HDMI cable from TV to receiver for the lossless audio, having the TV pass through the audio to the receiver?
Old 08-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
3D Moderator

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabear View Post
Hi, yes, I am going to connect the HDMI cable from PS3 to TV.

Is it then possible to connect HDMI cable from TV to receiver for the lossless audio, having the TV pass through the audio to the receiver?
No, the TV will only pass through Stereo PCM sound. In some rare cases TV's will pass through Dolby Digital Stereo Sound or 5.1 sound, but only on TV channels decoded by the TV's on board tuner. (If you were using an over-the-air antenna for example.)

In order to get lossless sound and 3-D picture you either have to purchase a 3-D capable surround sound receiver (Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, etc have 3-D capability on 2010 models have it on all the receivers that process HDMI HD audio. Look for a 3D logo on the box.) All cables that are involved will need to pass through 10.2 gbps or higher ("high speed" HDMI) in order to pass the HD audio and 3D video.

The second option (if you like your receiver, and don't want to change it) is to purchase a Panasonic 3D blu-ray player with 2 HDMI outputs, one for 3D video only, the other for HD audio only. HD audio will only pass through using HDMI directly into a receiver.

Therefore, in this case it is best to let the PS3 pass sound through Optical straight to the receiver, and HDMI to the TV until you purchase a different 3D Blu-ray player, or a 3D compatible receiver. Hope this helps!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #11
Special Member

Aug 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada

I know at the theaters we have real d 3d how many other kinds of 3d are there i thought that real d 3d was like the standard but i guess that isnt true .
Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #12

Jul 2007
Thumbs up

that1guypictures, thank you so much. I will have to use the optical cable from PS3 to TV until I can buy the panasonic blu-ray player then.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #13

May 2010
Exclamation HDMI Cables for 1.4

The answer to all questions regarding HDMI 1.4 and HDMI cables can be found at:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...i_1_4_faq.aspx

Specific to the cables:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...ght_cable.aspx

J
Old 08-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Europe, Portugal Blu-ray SteelBook™: 514 3D_Blu-ray: 100

I didn't read the forum before I purchase the cable for my 3D set..
I was between Panasonic and Sony cable and ended up buying the Pany one.. it's latest model is 1.3a

After reading the post I'm shock.. how can they selling 3D TV and players and selling only 1.3a cables?? jjeeees
Old 09-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #15

Aug 2010
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Christ View Post

And for your Home Theater if you do not have a PS3, you will have to go all HDMI 1.4 with your gear so you might have to get a new AVReciever...I think
I think that's a bit bloody inconvenient having to turn a pair of Panasonic glasses over. I've heard people complain about how the 3D specs make them look like geeks or nerds. Imagine how much more geekish or nerdish you'd look with a pair of glasses the wrong way round! As far as I'm concerned it'd be far better to go with the complete package the manufacturers are putting out(Sony, Panny as well as Sammy). That way there'd be no incompatibility problems.

By the way, a brilliant site and quite informative. I've only found one thing to fault this far. This is in relation to the release date for one of the IMAX 3Ds: the one about Greece(it's given as February 14 2010 but should actually be February 14 2011).

John.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

There is no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 cable. And new cables are not needed for 3D or any 1.4 features, except for ethernet over HDMI.

HDMI version numbers refer to functions in the transmitting and receiving equipment, not the cables. There are two basic types of cables - standard and high speed. High speed cables support 1080p video. That's the only difference. In the past, cables were marketed with version numbers such as HDMI 1.3a. HDMI.org is now banning that practice.

New HDMI 1.4 functions such as 3D and the Audio Return Channel are supported on current high speed cables. The only function requiring a new cable is ethernet over HDMI.

EDIT:
This is all explained in considerable detail at hmdi.org.

As for 3D...

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/3d.aspx

This is the key line on that page:

Quote:
How to Ensure 3D in your Home Theater System

•Look for devices that include 3D functionality.
•All High Speed HDMI cables will support 3D when connected to 3D devices. You can use your existing High Speed HDMI cables or choose a different cable type
Also, read this page:
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...1_4_faq.aspx#5

Quote:
Will any of the new HDMI 1.4 features require a new cable?
The HDMI Ethernet Channel feature will require a new cable that supports this functionality, either a Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet or a High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet, depending on the maximum resolution to be supported. The Automotive Connection System will also employ a new class of cable, the Standard Automotive HDMI cable, which is designed specifically for automotive use. All of the other new HDMI 1.4 features will be compatible with the existing categories of cables.

Last edited by BIslander; 09-05-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #17

Oct 2010
Default HDMI 1.4 Cable Problem

Hi everybody,

This is my first time posting on the boards and I can't start a new thread:

I HATE Monster with every bone in my body but I am currently in a jam. The wife and i have recently purchased a townhouse which hadn't been built yet. I knew in advance that I wanted to mount my tv above the fireplace and the builders would only allow me to do any wiring through a home theater company as any work that I would do during its construction would be ripped out by the fire marshall.

Fine, whatever. So this company offers a rubber tube behind the drywall above the fireplace which runs down and to the right of the fireplace where I can setup my receiver leaving no messy wires.

So I mount my tv- looks good. I go to insert my 25 ft. HDMI cable purchased from monoprice for under 20 bucks and......won't fit. The pipe is extremely small and the home theater company says due to "fire codes" only the thinnest pipe could be used and only this cable: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MC-1000HD-25-Ultra-High-Speed/dp/B000UF72CO can be used.

My questions are: Does anybody know where I can get this cable cheaper?; Is this cable 1.4 for when I want to upgrade to 3D?(If I'm speding mega-bucks, I'd like to at least know I'd never have to change the cable in the near future); and finally if anybody knows of any EXTREMLY small-tipped 1.4 HDMI cables like this one that do 1.4?

Whew, sorry about the novel but I'm in a jam. Hope you guys can help!
Old 12-16-2010, 03:56 AM   #18

Dec 2010

I got this cable http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 and it says it supports 3d. I have a 65'' dlp mitsubishi 3d ready, and just got a sony 3d blu ray player. will that cable work? I dont think its 1.4...
Old 12-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #19

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePriest View Post
I got this cable http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 and it says it supports 3d. I have a 65'' dlp mitsubishi 3d ready, and just got a sony 3d blu ray player. will that cable work? I dont think its 1.4...
Yes Sr. If you click on the specs you will find this...Bandwidth: up to 340 Mhz (10.2 Gbps)

10.2 Gbps if considered high speed and will carry 3D no problem. I have been using Monster and Monoprice non high speed with my PS3 and I get the 3D picture just fine, so go figure.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePriest View Post
Do people NOT read the posts? It's all explained in post 16 right above yours. HDMI versions apply to the equipment, NOT the cable. Any Category 2 cable will be sufficient for ALL HDMI needs.
Genius has its limits, however there is no limit on stupidity.
PSN: ricshoe64

Panasonic 60GT30 | Pioneer VSX-33 | Panasonic DMP-BD110 | Emotiva XPA-3
APC H15 | XBox 360 | Sony PS4
Axiom M80's & VP-180 | Carver Cinema 5.1 surrounds | BIC Accoustech H100

My A/V cabinet build / DIY thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players