Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Ripper Street: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ocean Giants (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet Earth | Life (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Old 08-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Special Member

Jun 2010
Florida
Default Vizio vbr231

I currently have a Samsung BDP1500 which I'm very pleased with but was looking for a model with built in WIFI for Netflix streaming. While in BJ's today I came across a VIZIO VBR231 which has this feature for $150. This appears to be a new model and I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on this model? I've used their tv's in the past and have never had an issue. Other brands like the LG570 and Samsung WIFI's are around $200 and I've read good and bad about the WIFI on them.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Special Member

May 2009
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Question

I have the same question...a few hours ago, I decided to drop at Walmart and browse through their DVD/blu-ray selection, which in that store (Alton, TX), was expanded considerably, and out of nowhere I went to the row with the blu-ray players.

As soon as I began looking at them, I saw the Vizio VBR-120, and saw that it was Netflix and Pandora capable , and it was only $100, not bad at all, my only complain was that it didn't have wi-fi, but looking at the other players, saw another one that had wi-fi...so I'm at the Vizio website and they have the 231 (which you want) and the 220 (which is at store).

The only difference between those two, is that the 231 has dual band wi-fi, and the other doesn't.

My only question is, does the Netflix app deliver movies in HD (with proper broadband connection, obviously) like the XBOX 360 does?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:07 PM   #3

Aug 2010
South Florida
Default Vizio VBR 231

I made a trip to Sams and picked up the Vizio VBR 231. I have not opened the box yet awaiting a review from a user on what they think of the unit. I picked up a Sony 370 ( Sams equivalent)and put it back for the Vizio. Sort of fearful that I may regret the purchase so i am waiting for a response from other viewers.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #4

Sep 2010
Default vbr231

I picked one up at Bj's about a month ago. This is a brand new model. It wasn't even listed on the VIZIO website until a week or 2 ago.

I love this unit. Excellent picture quality from both wireless streaming videos (with my linksys router)and blu-ray disks.

$150 ? It's a no brainer.. Grab one!!
Old 09-05-2010, 05:27 AM   #5

Sep 2010
Default Vbr231

I just bought one today at Costco. I too thought the price was outstanding at $150. Compare it to a similar Samsung model: $140 plus about $70 for a wireless adapter - wireless is built in to the Vizio model. But I have a problem with it. I am technically savvy - I develop software for a living - so I dove right in without consulting the user manual. I was able to cable it up and connect to my wireless router easily but when I tried to play a DVD the TV screen went blank. I could get back to the menu by ejecting the disk but the screen again when blank when I hit play. I tried a few more DVDs - I don't have any Blu-Ray disks yet - and obtained the same behavior with all of them except one: I got a picture but no sound with that one. I thought the problem might be that my TV is 720p class so I explicitly set the format to 720p instead of auto-select. Same problem. I tried all four HDMI inputs on the TV. Again, same problem. So I decided to consult the user manual (?!) and found that there was none. There was a quick start guide - basically how to connect it - and a glossy brochure advertising the internet options - not much more than an inventory of the available services. But no user guide describing the configuration options in detail. I really like the features, price and appearance of this unit so I will exchange it tomorrow and report back to this forum. I have to believe at this point that this is a random bad unit and/or a return, sans manual.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #6

Sep 2010
Default vbr231

Yes.. there is no manual in the box. The quick guide states it's available at vizio.com

When I bought mine, the 231 wasn't yet on the vizio site, hence no manual to download. I contacted customer service who quicky sent me the manual via PDF file. I believe the manual has since been added to the vizio website.

Good luck. Like I said, nothing but goodness with my unit. I hope the user manual can help with your issue.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #7

Sep 2010
Default 720p setting no video

I have BR120 model thats = to 231 but no wifi I beleave.
I am discusted because I have a HDCP monitor that auto syncs and the player is default 1080. Sono screen is major problem
To see the BR setup menu I can only plug Yellow RCA vid cable to view on old tube tv and set resulution to
720, hit enter, and then I get not ncsc compatible can't change res!
Because it sees RCA load and blocks hdmi cable.

Work around:
so then I memorized the menu/button sequince and reboot BR with just hdmi connected and set res. to 720p and it sets up but still never saw any video.

I know in Visio 1080 works, I used a 1080 monitor, HD disc worked.

I'm using hdmi to hmdi 1.3 19pin to HDMI-DVI-D adapter into Samsung 226BW.
I give up. I going replace Visio BR for Samsung BR player & cross my fingers.
MORE Gripes:::
The power button on BR120 has a mind of it's own.

OH and while watching HD disc, I had 2, 1 sec freezes and 1 sound dropout.
Does everyone have these BR interruptions I defined, line b4 this one?

Cheers,
DGM
Old 09-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #8

Jan 2008
Default Vizio VBR 231

Not sure how old this thread is,but i searched for this thread for my Vizio 231..I was wondering about a software update,becuse when i try to update "via" Internet streamed" i get an error of some sort,saying some code.i beleive its becuse this BR player is so new there isnt 1..But on the 231 player,I LOVE IT,it looks great and sounds great playing every blu @ it..i streamed "RobinHood" from "Vudu" in 1080P" "HDX" the other night and everything looked and sounded great..Anyword on a software update out there?,i guess it doesnt really need 1 but i want to know the up to date firmare..Btw..bought mine @ Cosco." wanted to have the great return policy if i needed it..
Old 10-15-2010, 02:22 AM   #9

Oct 2010

Have had 2 of the 231s. the first one was taken back the next day. the second one is going back tomorrow. Can't imagine that my luck is so bad that I got bad units from 2 different costcos. the first one contantly froze up while playing the disk. the second one just died after 4 days and maybe 6 hours use. I'll not be replacing it with a third. those of you who are using them successfully, congratulations.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #10

Jan 2008

Yea that is strange..i havent had 1 problem with mine..
Old 10-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #11

Oct 2010
Default 1st part @ Cmiller; 2nd part for general consuption

I contacted Vizio Support about the update issue. The reason that you get that error is because there is no firmware update available at this time. I thought it was confusing too, since it says '44mb required' for the update and then I kept getting a server error. I forget the exact number it posed, but it ended in 404, which usually indicates an unavailable server.

For everyone else, I've had few other problems at all with this player. My wife and I have watched several hours of Netflix without incident; DVD and Blu-ray playback are excellent with the exception of slow loading time for Blu-ray. Pandora works flawlessly and has an attractive, easy-to-use menu. My only short coming with this unit is that it advertises Facebook, Flickr, and Twitter, but there doesn't seem to be anyway to access these options from any menu. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #12

Jan 2008

On the facebook apps,you have to vote on the movie and it will ask you if you want to share it on whatever app you decide to use.i Posted on facebook app on the movie "jennifer" and it shows up on my FB wall..

Thanks about the update issue..And my BR loading seems "normal" to me..doesnt take long at all.the thing i hate ,is that you can not fast forward some movies at the beginning,it wants you to watch all the stupid preveiws of other movies.but i think that has to be how the BR are recorded..
Old 10-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #13

May 2009
Jacksonville, FL

I'm very interested in this player for it's netflix and wireless capabilities. I have a Sammy BDP-1500 and am looking for a quality affordable upgrade. Does anyone own this model? If so....any thoughts?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
North Jersey

I recommend the Sony BDP-BX57. (same model as Sony BDP-s570). I bought my for $130 on ebay. For some reason, it sells less than the bdp-s570 although its the same thing!! and it comes with a HDMI cable.. lol. I love it.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #15

May 2009
Jacksonville, FL

Thanks for the recommendation, however, i'd prefer to buy it from a box store, rather than ebay. Ebay doesn't have the most efficient return policy...

BJ's Wholesale has it for 129.99. Awesome price for what it has I think.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
North Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Z View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, however, i'd prefer to buy it from a box store, rather than ebay. Ebay doesn't have the most efficient return policy...

BJ's Wholesale has it for 129.99. Awesome price for what it has I think.
cool. i think bj's has the bx57 for $190.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #17

Nov 2010

Newbie to this site and to Blu-Ray. I just got the VBR231 last weekend as a gift, and haven't hooked it up yet. Before I open the box I have a few questions....

My home theater set up consists of a Sylvania 42" Plasma EDTV. Now, I know it's not true HD, but it upgrades to 1080i and the picture in HD is pretty good (shopping around for 1080P Plasma TV). I also have an Optima 720P HD projector in the same room. Does the Vizio have RCA component outputs as well as HDMI? Can I hook up cables to both and use a switch to direct signal? RCA to TV and HDMI to projector? I currently have an HD DVD player that I am swithcing out with VBR231, that can play on both.

ALSO...Anyone using a Linksys WNT400N Dual Band router with this player? I am upgrading my router as well and wondering if this is a good choice.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #18

Nov 2010
Question

I purchased this player at Costco to give to my sister's family as a Christmas present. My question is, they have wireless internet service through Comcast at their house. Will they need to buy a wireless router just for this to hook up to or will the player work off of their existing wireless internet? The quick start menu says "A dual-band wireless router is required (sold separately)" and the online owner's manual doesn't mention needing anything else.
I would like to buy any necessary equipment to gift them also so they can hook this up on Christmas Day and start using the Netflicks feature the same day.
Thank you so much for any help.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #19

Nov 2010
Delaware
Send a message via ICQ to utrvp
USA New guy! First Post!

Hi! I have been looking at a Vizio VBR231 online and don't understand what WI-FI ready means. I have high speed internet through Comcast with a dual router. Will I need anything else for the player to communicate with the router? Thanks and this looks like a great site. i plan to visit frequently!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #20

Apr 2010
Daytona Beach FL
Send a message via AIM to MacinMan Send a message via MSN to MacinMan Send a message via Yahoo to MacinMan

If anyone on this Thread is considering the new vizio from walmart that sells for $98, I would recommend against it. Most of the reviews for the player are 1 or 2 star on walmart's site. I was going to pick one up myself and decided against it after reading the reviews. I have two players i'm pretty satisfied with. In the living room my panasonic DMP-BD85K connected to my Panasonic TC-P42U1 1080p plasma tv. In the bedroom my sony BDP-S570 connected to my 32" sony bravia 1080p tv.

Rumor has it walmart is going to have the sony BDP-s570 for $150 black firday. currently it's $198.

Hope this helps someone!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders