COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Long Goodbye (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Coming Home (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Thieves Like Us (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$6.99
White Lightning (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Viva Maria! (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Gator (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Pocketful of Miracles (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 08-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #1

Aug 2010
LAS VEGAS,NV
Question grainy picture on some blu-rays

some of the movies i watch are quite grainy on indoor and dark scenes.for example on green zone(matt damon)on the last shooting scene where they were saving that one dude in the middle of the town and it was at night and they were outside the graininess was so bad it looked like it was snowing.now it is not that bad on other movies but it is still a little grainy on dark scenes.does anyone know how to fix this grainy picture issue?

thanks
Griffin
Old 08-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #2

Feb 2010
England

fiddling with the contrast, calibrating the screen can help.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-

Yeah, don't really think there's a fix per se, but adjusting your set may get the video noise to appear less drastic. The noise is in the disc, so it's going to be there regardless of what you do.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #4

Aug 2010
LAS VEGAS,NV

i heard it is best to have same brand BD player and tv to have best picture.i have a sony blu player and i use to have a 40inch sony lcd but my best freind stole it(some best friend),but now i have a 22inch coby which has a excellent picture,until i buy another 40inch sony again.but is there any truth in this theory?

Last edited by MOVIEfReAkAzOiD; 08-22-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Everett, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVIEfReAkAzOiD View Post
i heard it is best to have same brand BD player and tv to have best picture.i have a sony blu player and i use to have a 40inch sony lcd but my best freind stole it(some best friend),but now i have a 22inch coby which has a excellent picture.
Brand matching really has nothing to do with it. Green Zone is VERY grainy on the night scenes, its just the film stock that was used for those scenes.
For starters, I would suggest turning down the sharpness on your set. Then you can mess with some of the other settings.
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about. - H. P. Lovecraft

Last edited by scweb13; 08-22-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #6

Aug 2010
LAS VEGAS,NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by scweb13 View Post
Brand matching really has nothing to do with it. Green Zone is VERY grainy on the night scenes, its just the film stock that was used for those scenes.
For starters, I would suggest turning down the sharpness on your set. Then you can mess with some of the other settings.
thanks for the info,.i will mess with settings and see if that makes it better
Old 08-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

As some other posters have mentioned, some movies contain more grain and noise than others. Adjusting your picture settings (while helpful) might also be detrimental. The more important question is: have you had your TV calibrated? I'm not suggesting that you spend 3-400 dollars on an ISF calibration, but you might find it beneficial to invest $25 in a calibration disc such as Spears & Munsil HD Calibration disc or DVE HD Basics. That way you'll at least know you're seeing the PQ in the manner that it was intended by the director (or at least as close to it as possible given the quality of the source material). As a rule of thumb, it's not a good idea to adjust your settings on a movie-by-movie basis. While you may make some look better, you'll likely make others look worse. Without something as a point of reference (like the test patterns on a calibration disc), you'll find yourself constantly chasing that "perfect picture" with each movie you watch.
Display: 52" Sony KDL-52W4100
Blu-ray | Gaming: Oppo BDP-83 | "Fat" PS3 | Xbox360 Pro
Mains: Elemental Designs A6-6T6
Center: CUSTOM eD A6-6T6-MTM
Side and Rear Surrounds: Sony SS-B1000
Subs: DUAL eD A2-300's
Receiver | Amps: Pioneer Elite SC-25 | Emotiva XPA-2 + XPA-5
Join me in my HT thread HERE
Old 08-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

Yes changing the settings on a movie to movie basis will start to get old really fast. And in doing that to make a nighttime scene seem more pleasing other scenes within the same disc may suffer also.
A good blu tends to have some grain if the movie was originally shot on film, that's the nature of the beast. Also a good blu just wants to help recreate the film as close to what you would have seen on opening day.
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"And use some of that cologne Gertrude got you for Christmas."
"Oh do I have to Mother, it smells like ether?"

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."
Old 08-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVIEfReAkAzOiD View Post
some of the movies i watch are quite grainy on indoor and dark scenes.for example on green zone(matt damon)on the last shooting scene where they were saving that one dude in the middle of the town and it was at night and they were outside the graininess was so bad it looked like it was snowing.now it is not that bad on other movies but it is still a little grainy on dark scenes.does anyone know how to fix this grainy picture issue?

thanks
Griffin
This isn't an issue, it is just how the film looks. The Green Zone at times is an insanely grainy film at times, that's how it was shot. You may be over emphasizing it by over sharpening the image though. YOu really want to claibrate your display to d65 and just watch films how they where intended to be seen (albiet on a smaller screen).

Last edited by Suntory_Times; 08-22-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:39 AM   #10

Aug 2010
LAS VEGAS,NV

i havent messed with the settings yet becasue i was thinking the same thing about it could look better on one movie then look really bad on another.will definitely check into getting one of the HD calibration disk

thanks for all your help guys
Old 08-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007

You can also just download the AVSHD disc on Avs Forum. It's great for calibrating basic setting like brithness, contrast, Sharpness, Hue and Saturation. It's free, it's HD, just have to burn it to a DVD-R and 99% of the Bluray Players plays it!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496
Material : Denon 3808ci, 2xParadigm Monitor 9 v5, 1xCC390, 2xADP390, 2xADP190, Panasonic AE3000 96hz 1080p, 106' screen, Samsung BDP-2550
01/04/08 - A day to remember, the day we won!
My Blu-Ray movies = http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/ryoohki360
Old 08-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #12

Jun 2007
Northern VA

Yeah, I ran into this issue on some other blu-rays and it made me realize my TV settings had reverted back to factory settings. I had calibrated my TV when I first got it, and one of the most major changes was switching from like dynamic to movie or some other major setting like that. I also had to download a firmware update to fix the issue too, so make sure there aren't any new firmware updates for your TV.

When I did that, the way the TV processed images changed drastically and it stopped snowing so bad. I mean seriously, it was so bad on Dexter BDs that you could barely see the picture. Research TV settings for your brand and model and see if that helps. Some movies like 300 are supposed to look old and grainy, but if you notice the snowing and it is distracting, then you might want to double check your TV settings. You can easily Google your TV settings or search through AVS Forums. Best of luck to you.
Without condoning... or condemning. I understand.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #13

Aug 2010
LAS VEGAS,NV

OOOOO FREEEE.thank you very much for that link will download and burn it to try it out.

thanks guys
Old 08-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #14

Aug 2010
LAS VEGAS,NV

i dont have a program for burning discs.does anyone know of a good free program i can use to burn this?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs