Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Avengers 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.32

12 Monkeys (Blu-ray)
$29.33
22 hrs ago
Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

The Blacklist: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Truth or Dare (Blu-ray)
$11.99

DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 08-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #1

Sep 2009
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Australia Harry Potter Collector's Editions

EzyDVD is listing Collector's Edition releases of the first four Harry Potter films for October 27. Each is selling for $29.97.

The price seems unusually cheap, but it's noted that they are 2-disc releases so it's possible they are not the same as the Ultimate Editions released previously for Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on these if they've heard anything as they seem to have crept in under the radar.

Philosopher's Stone
Chamber of Secrets
Prisoner of Azkaban
Goblet of Fire

If they do end up being remotely close to the previous sets that's a pretty reasonable price.
~{ "I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying." }~

Last edited by atexp80; 10-15-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #2

May 2009
New Zealand

Very weird pricing considering mightyape.co.nz wants $NZ90 (listed as 3 discs though)

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/H...x-Set/3243682/

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/H...x-Set/3243684/

If I was a harry potter fan I'd order the Ezydvd releases, they might cancel them (like *cough* hmv), they might not.
Down Under Group: Sales and Trades
Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #3

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiGusto View Post
Very weird pricing considering mightyape.co.nz wants $NZ90 (listed as 3 discs though)

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/H...x-Set/3243682/

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/H...x-Set/3243684/

If I was a harry potter fan I'd order the Ezydvd releases, they might cancel them (like *cough* hmv), they might not.
Those were the ones released last year. We got them too, JB has them for around $95 and they are hard to find. Considering the price and the spec stating 2 discs, these may be "Not Quite So" Ultimate Editions.

If they turn out to be the theatrical discs which are currently released only with one extra bonus disc from the Ultimate Edition sets then it's hardly worth it. Considering at the best of times you could have bought the HP films here in Australia for as low as $13 a film the extra $17 for one bonus disc is a little rich.

I guess it will just be a matter of waiting to see exactly how "Ultimate" these newly priced versions are.
~{ "I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying." }~
Old 10-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #4

Jul 2010
Melbourne, Australia

JB Hi-Fi have updated with Covers.

Not called 'Ultimate Editions' anymore now just 'Collector's Edition'. Looks like It will just be the discs but I'm actually very happy with them. Looks like each will get a nice slipcover and they are cheaper then I thought they would be. Links are under each cover.

Can anyone add them to the database under the New 'Collector's Edition' name?

HARRY POTTER & THE PHILOSOPHERS STONE (COLLECTOR'S EDITION)

HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS (COLLECTOR'S EDITION) (BLU-RAY)

HARRY POTTER & THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN (COLLECTOR'S EDITION) (BLU-RAY)

HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE (COLLECTOR'S EDITION) (BLU-RAY)

Last edited by joseph_m; 10-15-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Special Member

Mar 2010
Melbourne, Australia SteelBooks™ : 280

Looks like reasonable price for all of them (Just Collector's Edition)

But pretty expensive with ULTIMATE Collector's Edition from JB HiFi

- HARRY POTTER & THE PHILOSOPHERS STONE: ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION (BLU-RAY)

- HARRY POTTER & THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS: ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION (BLU-RAY)
Old 10-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #6

Oct 2010

Love the artwork so they'll be definite purchases. The movie posters are a bonus as well as I love to collect them.

Last edited by Loser; 10-15-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #7

Sep 2009

I've already got the first two from the US and the next two are due to ship next week. Being that they work out to $35 AU I think I may just stick with them due to the extra content though these are nice if you don't have any version at all.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #8

Oct 2010

Yeha, I've been wanting to pick up the HP movies on Blu for a while (I don't by Blus from overseas, despite the bargain pick-ups you can get). It'll be interesting to see what they do with Deathly Hallows, will they release both parts in one collector edition? Frankly, I'm hoping they'll merge the two for one four-hour HP epic.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Special Member

Mar 2010
Melbourne, Australia SteelBooks™ : 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexp80 View Post
I've already got the first two from the US and the next two are due to ship next week. Being that they work out to $35 AU I think I may just stick with them due to the extra content though these are nice if you don't have any version at all.
I have HP 1 and 2 Ultimate Collector Ed USA and on the way HP 3 and HP 4 Ultimate Collector Ed USA too
Old 10-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #10

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser View Post
Yeha, I've been wanting to pick up the HP movies on Blu for a while (I don't by Blus from overseas, despite the bargain pick-ups you can get). It'll be interesting to see what they do with Deathly Hallows, will they release both parts in one collector edition? Frankly, I'm hoping they'll merge the two for one four-hour HP epic.
No, they had a promo image floating around quite a while back showing the colour schemes for 8 Ultimate Edition releases so they'll be separate.

More money for the studio!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #11
Power Member

Jan 2008
AUSTRALIA

$90 for a movie, definite miss!!!!!
"In the gentle fall of rain from Heaven, I hear my God. But in the Thunder I still hear Thor"
Old 10-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #12

Jul 2010
Melbourne, Australia

I'd wish they would hurry up with these releases.

Because I'd rather the next two (Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince) earlier then December next year so they can release Deathly Hallows (Part 1 and 2) during that time and not have to wait till 2012 to have them all.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #13

Jul 2010
Melbourne, Australia

I'd wish they would hurry up with these releases.

Because I'd rather the next two (Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince) earlier then November/December next year so they can release Deathly Hallows (Part 1 and 2) during that time. I don't really want to wait till 2012 to have them all.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #14

Sep 2008

Did anyone bought Collector's Editions? Are they 2BDs from UE?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #15

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLight View Post
Did anyone bought Collector's Editions? Are they 2BDs from UE?
It appears so. They are in store for $24.98 and are a standard case with slipcover. It's a 2 Disc set though the cover does not state whether the second disc is a Blu-ray. It could be either considering the Ultimate Editions were released on Blu-ray and DVD.

So, basically the differences are:

Regular Release
Film Disc only

Collector's Edition
Film disc
Extra Disc with documentary and some other features (undetermined if Blu-ray or DVD)
Slipcover and poster

Ultimate Edition (US versions)
Film Disc
Extra Blu-ray Disc with documentary and some other features
Third disc (DVD) with vintage features
Digital copy (disc with 1 & 2, downloadable with 3 & 4)
Character cards
Box style packaging
Removable Lenticular cover (films 3 & 4)

That's why I'm buying the US ones. Considering they are merely $5-10 more you get the features from the DVD releases, the superior packaging and the digital copy (if that floats your boat). They are just a little more collectable than an standard old slipcase in my opinion and look a whole lot nicer.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #16

May 2010

Quote:
Those were the ones released last year. We got them too, JB has them for around $95 and they are hard to find. Considering the price and the spec stating 2 discs, these may be "Not Quite So" Ultimate Editions.

If they turn out to be the theatrical discs which are currently released only with one extra bonus disc from the Ultimate Edition sets then it's hardly worth it. Considering at the best of times you could have bought the HP films here in Australia for as low as $13 a film the extra $17 for one bonus disc is a little rich.

I guess it will just be a matter of waiting to see exactly how "Ultimate" these newly priced versions are.
They definitely are the original releases repackaged with new special features discs. The ezydvd website has incorrect info stating that the first couple of discs contain the theatrical and extended cuts of the movies. They don't.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #17

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp View Post
They definitely are the original releases repackaged with new special features discs. The ezydvd website has incorrect info stating that the first couple of discs contain the theatrical and extended cuts of the movies. They don't.
Wow, so you're basically paying twice as much for a documentary, poster and slipcover. Glad I went with the US ones. At least with some there is the extended cut, additional special features, better box and the extra swag.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #18

Jul 2010
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Wow, so you're basically paying twice as much for a documentary, poster and slipcover. Glad I went with the US ones. At least with some there is the extended cut, additional special features, better box and the extra swag.
I was thinking about it but I don't like the whole US 'Sorcerer's' Stone' title.

Do they actually say Sorcerer's in the movie? or is it just on the packaging
Old 11-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #19

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph_m View Post
I was thinking about it but I don't like the whole US 'Sorcerer's' Stone' title.

Do they actually say Sorcerer's in the movie? or is it just on the packaging
They say Sorcerer's, but I'm willing to accept that even though the purist in me says otherwise. Havin said that, the Canadian version has Philosopher's in both the film and the cover and the content is the same (no French on the outside) though I believe the second hand seller market is where you'd find that one now.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #20

Jul 2010
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
They say Sorcerer's, but I'm willing to accept that even though the purist in me says otherwise. Havin said that, the Canadian version has Philosopher's in both the film and the cover and the content is the same (no French on the outside) though I believe the second hand seller market is where you'd find that one now.
Hmmm okay, Thank you.

What do you reckon the chances of Warner Australia continuing with these 2-Disc 'Collector's Edition' .. There's another 2 years till we will get them all and I really dont want to buy these and then they end up changing the design again.

I was so close to getting the First two Ultimate Editions that came out here. Thank god I didn't.

I'm really thinking of just getting this:
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/809357

Has room in the boxset for when Parts 1 and 2 come out and I don't have to wait to buy these.. but then I'm loosing the 2nd Disc features.

Tough decisions hahaha. But I'm considering picking up the Ultimate Editions when I go to America in December.. I saw your photos of them lined up and they look great! But then again the The Sorcerer's Stone stone would annoy me.. Why do I have to be so picky? ahaha
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia