COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Audio Signature Classical Collection (Blu-ray)
$144.01
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$74.35
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Cuban Fury (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Curtains (Blu-ray)
$17.47
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-27-2010, 01:01 AM   #1

Nov 2008
Default Difference between Old Rocky and Coming Soon reissue of Rocky?

Does anyone know the difference in terms of picture quality, features, etc? Which one do you recommend I get?
Old 08-27-2010, 01:15 AM   #2
Special Member

Feb 2010
Chicago

Knowing MGM's financial situation it's the same disc but packaged with a barebones DVD copy. Unless you want the combo pack, you're just fine with the first release.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
Collectibles Moderator

Nov 2008

there releasing all the Rocky movies individually with a DVD copy, so to answer your question the new release of Rocky is different cover art to match the other 5 movies being released in October and a DVD copy as well
Old 08-27-2010, 01:40 AM   #4

Nov 2008

so only difference on the newer ones are the cover art and the DVD?

Can there be a comparison made between the newer individual ones with the Rocky Blu ray Boxset?
Old 08-27-2010, 01:40 AM   #5
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Same Blu-Ray disc packaged with a DVD copy.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:49 AM   #6
Expert Member

Mar 2010

Just so ya know, my local FYE has these DVD/Blu combo packs for about 10 bucks each. Only drawback is that they come in standard DVD cases. Still a good deal however.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
Thanks, I will be keeping my 2-DVD SE of Rocky.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blu Knight View Post
Knowing MGM's financial situation it's the same disc but packaged with a barebones DVD copy. Unless you want the combo pack, you're just fine with the first release.
Dang, I was hoping for a better release of this (one with superior PQ and actual bonus features). Guess I'll continue to hold out.
"You just got chiefed! Come back when you're ready to play with the big dogs."

PSN: Darkhawk9587

Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Be patient. According to Video ETA, Rocky, Rocky II and Rocky IV are all being released in the first week of October. Don't know if this is anything new or just reused disks from the boxed set.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

I agree with you all about holding out for a proper release of Rocky, but at the price it cost me bundled with the other 5 disks, I was happy to buy the set and upgrade #1 later.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blu Knight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
Are you speculating or do you have explicit confirmation of this? I'm not saying I disagree with the conclusion, but I've yet to see any factual information either way regarding the presence or absence of any supplemental content on either the BD or DVD.

Just recently we've seen a Fargo BD + DVD re-release that includes a supp excluded from the standalone BD and a (first time) Mad Max BD + DVD announced that includes what appears to be all of the SE DVD's supps. The MGM-via-Fox track record is so inconsistent I think it's dicey to come to any conclusions until someone gets the product in hand.

The release is two weeks away and DVD Empire still doesn't have the back cover art work up, which usually means the studio hasn't provided it. That in turn sometimes means they're hiding the Emperor's lack of clothes until as close to street as possible. But, to quote a certain former Sec Def, "The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

So let's see what's on there for sure.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #12

Nov 2009
Default My thoughts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0opman31 View Post
Does anyone know the difference in terms of picture quality, features, etc? Which one do you recommend I get?
Unless they do a proper restoration and transfer of the first film don't even bother. And being the world's biggest Rocky fan I own a copy of every release since the first VHS release and currently have both DVD box sets that were issued, individual blu ray issues of Rocky and Rocky Balboa, AND the blu ray box set. And unless they do a proper release that includes behind the scene footage of all 6 films, I will not buy anymore. Fans have been clamoring for extras for all the Rocky films for years and those a**holes keep reissuing the same movies over and over with new shiny packaging. I'm ready for a definitive release or I will spend no more of my hard earned cash on the same release.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Anyone buy the new Rocky BD+DVD? Is it JUST the movie on both discs?
Old 10-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
Anyone buy the new Rocky BD+DVD? Is it JUST the movie on both discs?
I didn't buy it, but according to the back of the case... yes:

Old 10-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #15
Expert Member

Oct 2009
New Bedford, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdo View Post
I may end up getting these films on Blu eventually, but not until MGM fixes the original film. The 'zoomboxing' on the frame, the somewhat oversaturated image, and the lack of the three audio commentaries that were available on DVD, just really bugs me. Not to mention the MPEG-2 encode.
What are you talking about? I was not aware of any tampering with the original transfer. Could you please explain what you mean by 'zoomboxing'? For my money I think the BD looks fine. It looks like a grainy low budget film which is what Rocky was.
Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player
Pioneer VSX-819H Receiver
Samsung PN51E550 Plasma HDTV
Old 10-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post
Thanks. I didn't think to check DVD Empire again for the umpteenth time because, prior to the disc's release, they did not have back cover artwork up for the longest time.

Not unlike with Ronin, MGM-via-Fox "loses" a sale as I shift my dollars away from a bare bones disc to Criterion instead. Rocky now goes to the Netflix queue and, hmmmm, The Thin Red Line (ironically, a Fox film) gets bumped even further up the purchase queue.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #17

Oct 2009
bronx ,ny
Send a message via AIM to shamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post

Thanks for the picture
Old 12-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #18

Dec 2010
Queens, NY

The cover for the Rocky I standalone is horrendous!

They photoshop'd Stallone's mug and put it on a models body. At first glance I was like "woah Stallone was not ripped in this movie", then when I zoomed in it was a photoshop.

LOL I could of made a better cover with the real stills that were shot.

I'll just keep my Rocky Undisputed Collection, thank you very much.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:08 AM   #19
Special Member

Dec 2008

Yeah, sadly they made all the covers for the standalone releases look very very cheap.

I think it's better to pick up the old Rocky standalone release with Rocky & Adrian..
Old 12-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrugStillo View Post
What are you talking about? I was not aware of any tampering with the original transfer. Could you please explain what you mean by 'zoomboxing'? For my money I think the BD looks fine. It looks like a grainy low budget film which is what Rocky was.
As I'm sure you're already aware, the entire "Rocky" series (not including Rocky Balboa) was remastered in high-def for its release on DVD back in 2004 (for the Rocky Anthology collection), and I believe it is those same hi-def masters that were used for the Blu-ray releases.

I owned both the 2001 25th Anniversary Set as well as the 2004 Anthology and spent hours comparing the two. When all was said and done, I still much preferred the 2001 set over the remastered 2004 releases. For the original "Rocky," the frame was cropped on all four sides (hence "zoomboxed") in comparison to the 2001 S.E. release, the color timing tweaked, and the picture, while generally crisper and a little more defined, exhibited an oversaturated and brightened look, with fleshtones often appearing too pink/red, and sometimes washed out. I'd challenge you to pick up a copy of the 2001 Special Edition DVD of "Rocky" and take a look for yourself, I think you'd be surprised.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think the current Blu of "Rocky" is terrible, because it's not, and it has many strengths over the S.E. DVD, but considering this film was a best picture winner, I felt it deserved better treatment than it got.

Anyway, pick up a cheap copy of the now OOP 2001 S.E. DVD and give it a watch (if you can't rent one, you can probably find a copy for pennies on Amazon, so it should only cost $3 or $4 shipped). Take notice of the colder, darker feel of the DVD's color-timing, and keep an eye on the framing, fleshtones, and also the bruising on Rocky's face as he fights Apollo. I'll be interested in hearing what you think.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America