COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Audio Signature Classical Collection (Blu-ray)
$144.01
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$74.35
Cuban Fury (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Curtains (Blu-ray)
$17.47
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-30-2010, 02:19 AM   #21
Special Member

Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN

I saw this about 16 years ago when I was about 13 years old. I don't really recall anything about it, but I do remember being extremely bored with it. Could this be due to watching it at such a young age? I'd love to buy it because Harvey Keitel is the bomb, just wondering if I'll enjoy it.
"Does the Blu-ray version of '.......' look better than it's DVD version?"

I'm so sick of this question. 99% of Blu-rays look better than their DVD counterpart. Period.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:38 AM   #22
Expert Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdot View Post
i havent watched mine yet, hows it look?
Picture quality is pretty good but a little inconsistent. Looks really good at times but gets quite grainy out of nowhere...and once or twice the volume level decreased and got louder a few seconds later.

Considering the films rather low budget, I'm satisfied with it.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:01 AM   #23
Expert Member

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasFootPowder View Post
I saw this about 16 years ago when I was about 13 years old. I don't really recall anything about it, but I do remember being extremely bored with it. Could this be due to watching it at such a young age? I'd love to buy it because Harvey Keitel is the bomb, just wondering if I'll enjoy it.
Hard to say. Judging from your collection, there's a good chance you won't like it. I'd give it a shot though. At $10, even if you hate it you can likely make most of your money back selling it.

It's probably Keitel's finest performance, so if you like the guy, you may end up loving it.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:13 AM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Van Nuys, CA/ Argentina

I've never seen this. I think I'm going to blind buy it on Friday.
The Driver, The Mechanic, The Girl, and GTO.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:16 AM   #25
Special Member

Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoinedoinel View Post
Hard to say. Judging from your collection, there's a good chance you won't like it. I'd give it a shot though. At $10, even if you hate it you can likely make most of your money back selling it.

It's probably Keitel's finest performance, so if you like the guy, you may end up loving it.

I like dramas, and I assume this is what Bad Lieutenant would be classified as. And admittedly, I was only 13 when I watched it and a 13 year old's attention span isn't always the greatest. If I recall, I was watching it with a bunch of friends at a sleepover, odds are I wasn't paying the closest attention.

I'm so sick of this question. 99% of Blu-rays look better than their DVD counterpart. Period.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:33 AM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

I remember watching this, I though it was essentially a pretentious, voyeristic, in your face drama that indulges in a character's suffering, but the problem is that we know this guy is suffering. We know he is an addict, we know that he is desperate for affection, but that is what this film spends it's 90 minutes on; Abel Ferrara is in a fantasy about suffering. That can be engaging when it tries to be something it isn't. I enjoy it as a drama, but it's a crime film pretending (wanting) to be an art film.

The new Bad Lieutenant (which isn't a remake at all); basically Werner Herzog (One of my favorite directors) parodies the character that it portrays, letting us cheer for him when we really shouldn't. It's more of a Comedy about a sociopath than a drama or crime film about a sociopath. Funny that an Art house director, which are criticized for pretentiouness, it does exactly the opposite that Ferrara, who isn't considered an art director, intended. I think art directors (good ones) are the least pretentious of directors .
Projector:Infocus X10 1080p DLP projector & DIY anamorphic lens
TV:Samsung DLP 1080p TV HL-T5676S
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5640 AV receiver
HTPC/gaming rig
Add me on Steam: rctyke (trogdor2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post
The new Bad Lieutenant (which isn't a remake at all); basically Werner Herzog (One of my favorite directors) parodies the character that it portrays, letting us cheer for him when we really shouldn't. It's more of a Comedy about a sociopath than a drama or crime film about a sociopath. Funny that an Art house director, which are criticized for pretentiouness, it does exactly the opposite that Ferrara, who isn't considered an art director, intended. I think art directors (good ones) are the least pretentious of directors .

I just wanted to comment on your post in a friendly way. Agree and disagree (not in a bad way, you'll see what I mean.). Agree that I love Herzog the comedy he put into his film. But I have to say you don't have to be anti-art house to do comedy (dark comedy) in your films. I can name 2 "Arthouse" directors off the top of my head, Luis Bunuel and a lesser known Paul Morrissey. Morrissey made the cheapest of films that had really bad acting, but still considered "arthouse". Dark comedy is a part of the arthouse way.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #28

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

I decided to blind buy this film. I have always enjoyed Keitel's work and for $9.99, it was an easy sell. I'm looking forward to checking this out this week.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #29

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

I have the DVD...... I can't remember the last time I watched it.... so I'm guessing I should save my money.....
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 08-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #30

Nov 2007
Calgary, AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffyrock2 View Post
That scene with him and the two girls in the car was super gross.
Do they actually show this scene on the Blu-ray?
That scene has been removed from pretty much every version of this film.
Panasonic TC-P65V10 65" Plasma
Sony KDL-55XBR8 55" LED LCD
Sony BDP-S350
Sony BDP-S590
Yamaha RX-V3800
Axiom Epic 60 - 500 Speakers (7.1)
Monster HTS 3600 MKII Conditioner
Logitech Harmony 900
Old 08-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #31
Expert Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak88lx View Post
This is the NC-17 version. He asks the driver of the car to imitate fellatio while he pleasures himself. If that's the one you're thinking of, well, it's here in all it's HD glory.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #32
Expert Member

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasFootPowder View Post
I like dramas, and I assume this is what Bad Lieutenant would be classified as. And admittedly, I was only 13 when I watched it and a 13 year old's attention span isn't always the greatest. If I recall, I was watching it with a bunch of friends at a sleepover, odds are I wasn't paying the closest attention.
i can guarantee you'll like it more than when you were 13.

I think too many people expect a straight up crime film, or any of the usual aspects of the genre. Instead, its a very meditative film that questions the ideas explored in many of these films. It's definitely a drama.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #33
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
I think too many people expect a straight up crime film, or any of the usual aspects of the genre. Instead, its a very meditative film that questions the ideas explored in many of these films. It's definitely a drama.

It is not a crime film.

Pro-B
Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #34
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffyrock2 View Post
This is the NC-17 version. He asks the driver of the car to imitate fellatio while he pleasures himself. If that's the one you're thinking of, well, it's here in all it's HD glory.
"Show me how you **** a ****!"
Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #35
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak88lx View Post
Again, I don't believe this was ever removed from any DVD version, as both have been NC-17. The R-rated version only existed on VHS, so that Blockbuster Video would carry the film in its rental stores in 1993, back when they had a policy against carrying NC-17 or X-rated videos.

The confusion seems to have resurfaced when it was found that the back cover of the 2009 SE DVD stated the film was rated R, when it did in fact contain the same unedited NC-17 version as the original Artisan DVD.

Further confusing the issue, Amazon.com has also collated user reviews from every edition of Bad Lieutenant they have sold, including ones from the cut R-rated VHS tape which mention/complain that the film is cut.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 09-01-2010, 08:00 AM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassavetesGodard View Post
I just wanted to comment on your post in a friendly way. Agree and disagree (not in a bad way, you'll see what I mean.). Agree that I love Herzog the comedy he put into his film. But I have to say you don't have to be anti-art house to do comedy (dark comedy) in your films. I can name 2 "Arthouse" directors off the top of my head, Luis Bunuel and a lesser known Paul Morrissey. Morrissey made the cheapest of films that had really bad acting, but still considered "arthouse". Dark comedy is a part of the arthouse way.
That is why I enjoy watching arthouse films, and I definately agree. They do not follow stereotypes of typical genres that are put to play, rather they can do whatever they want, and works well as long as it works as a narrative. They can be truly mean spirited, comedic, unconventional or (Un)realistic, and not give a story typical A to B tale. I like watching a film with an open mind . I rather watch a really bad film but see something different than another cheap generic film. Another reason I like Herzog.

I rather not even want to think of a genre of the movie, because if I do, I know what to expect. I have too many films that are "classified" that it is easy to tell what it is by the box, but need to please the "people" .
Projector:Infocus X10 1080p DLP projector & DIY anamorphic lens
TV:Samsung DLP 1080p TV HL-T5676S
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5640 AV receiver
HTPC/gaming rig
Add me on Steam: rctyke (trogdor2010)
Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

The film can be watched on multiple levels. The nun who is victimized and forgives her attackers as well as Keitel's vision of Christ in the church brings Bad Lieutenant to the level of spiritual melodrama. It explores redemption in a way that harkens back to Scorsese's Mean Streets. If you think about who Keitel saves in this movie instead of saving himself, it's actually quite profound. Or you can watch it for the sheer shock value and bravado Harve brings to the screen. Along with Reservoir Dogs, Clockers, The Piano and Smoke, this was a very important film that marked his resurgence in the '90s.

The video and audio quality is spotty but it's far better than what we had before and it cost less than I paid for Bad Lieutenant on VHS or DVD!
EyeSpeech: Speak Your Eye
B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables
Old 09-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #38
Special Member

Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN

Quote:
i can guarantee you'll like it more than when you were 13.

That's probably what I was thinking it was supposed to be when I was 13. I did end up buying it. I figure for $9.99, how can you go wrong?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #39
Special Member

Oct 2008
MD, USA

Yes, Harvey Keitel's package in full HD. Man what a crazy flick.

Last edited by davidthenikonuser; 09-01-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #40
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Despite the cover, my tests indicate the BD is region-free.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
bad lieutenant, ferrara, keitel, lionsgate