Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Planet of the Apes: Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
8 hrs ago
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

22 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Gone Girl (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA
Default "March of the Wooden Soldiers" (1934) 9/14/2010 (Official Thread)

So very happy to see this one coming to Blu-ray! It should look fantastic!

babes in toyland.jpg

March of the Wooden Soldiers "Babes in Toyland" Blu-ray

March of the Wooden Soldiers Blu-ray Review

Last edited by Deciazulado; 01-04-2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Added Cover photo.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:45 AM   #2

Apr 2009

I am to a certain degree, what bonus content will be included?

It would also be nice if we got Disney's Babes in Toyland on blu soon too. Like a 50th Anniversary release next year?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:47 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Great stuff. I'll be buying this one for sure .
Old 09-05-2010, 03:08 AM   #4

Sep 2009
San Antonio, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdo View Post
Isn't there anyone else interested in this classic film being released? Or am I going to be the sole poster on this thread? Whatever the case, I will be purchasing this Blu on day 1.
I love Laurel and Hardy, and I will be buying this on the 14th. Can not wait
Old 09-05-2010, 03:17 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanger-Hanger View Post
I am to a certain degree, what bonus content will be included?
As of yet, there apparently has been no official press release by Legend films as to what exactly will be included on the disc (which, all things considered, isn't really a big surprise). Based on their previous DVD release from 2006, I'm assuming we can expect similar materials (if not the same ones) that were on that particular release.

The transfer Legend used on their 2006 DVD was taken from a source that had been remastered in hi-def, so I'm sure the picture quality will be excellent (as it was on the DVD). It looks as though we'll get both the original Black & White, as well as the colorized version (probably on a BD-50). In regards to audio, my guess is that we'll probably get an original mono track and nothing more. The audio on the DVD was fine though, so I imagine it will be satisfactory on the Blu as well.

I'm glad that Legend is releasing this one on Blu, and not MGM, because frankly, MGM's DVD transfer was terrible in comparison (even though it came out a year or two after the Legend release).

And while I'm a person who loathes the colorization of films that were shot Black & White, I must admit that Legend's job on this film (at least on the DVD) was breathtakingly beautiful. To this day, it's the only film I will watch that's been "colorized." I actually kind of wish the film had been shot in color to begin with, but at the time it was made (1934), I don't even know that 'Technicolor' was being used yet, and if it was, it would've been in its infancy.

Hopefully someone who has some inside information will be able to come forward with more details on this release, but if they don't, I should have the disc in hand within a couple of weeks and will be posting my thoughts as soon as I watch it! Have eagerly been anticipating this title on Blu since I bought the DVD 4 years ago, it will have a proud place in my collection.

Wouldn't count on seeing this release in too many stores though, it'll probably be an 'order-only' release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanger-Hanger View Post
It would also be nice if we got Disney's Babes in Toyland on blu soon too. Like a 50th Anniversary release next year?
I've only seen bits and pieces of the Disney remake, but yeah, I'm sure there are many who want that release too. A 50th anniversary would be great, but Disney has seemingly been very picky on its releasing of non-animated catalogue titles...there's a ton of great live-action films that I'm surprised they haven't put on Blu (like "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "Swiss Family Robinson" just to name a couple). Hopefully, they'll start bringing those films to Blu sooner rather than later, but my gut tells me it's more likely than not, that they won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Titan View Post
Great stuff. I'll be buying this one for sure .
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixram1977 View Post
I love Laurel and Hardy, and I will be buying this on the 14th. Can not wait
there we go...I knew I wasn't the only one!
Old 09-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #6

Apr 2009

Thanks for the info kdo.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:51 AM   #7
Trading Moderator

Sep 2008
Улбар шар өнгийн

Wow!! Never seen this coming. This is great news. I love Laurel and Hardy. Day one purchase for me. All we need now is the Three Stooges on blu. Thanks for the heads up kdo!
MMMMM!! I love the smell of brand new slipcovers!!!

Trade Forum

Collectibles and Limited Editions
Old 09-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidef al View Post
Wow!! Never seen this coming. This is great news. I love Laurel and Hardy. Day one purchase for me. All we need now is the Three Stooges on blu. Thanks for the heads up kdo!
No problem. I was pretty surprised myself. Not sure when the pre-order went up, but I don't remember seeing anything posted about it here on the site. Then again, I haven't been on here quite as much this summer (I've been busy with work), so maybe I missed it, but I noticed that the listing here on the site has no official forums or news...
Old 09-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdo View Post
No problem. I was pretty surprised myself. Not sure when the pre-order went up, but I don't remember seeing anything posted about it here on the site. Then again, I haven't been on here quite as much this summer (I've been busy with work), so maybe I missed it, but I noticed that the listing here on the site has no official forums or news...
Are they trying to sneak this one by us or something? This is a bigger release to me than a lot of the catalogs from the majors getting dates. I'll definitely be picking it up, good catch. Now, like hidef al said, bring on the Stooges.
Now the real pain begins, Danny-boy.

My Theater/Media Room.................................................. ............My Media Wall Cabinet(How To/DIY)
Old 09-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

I will probably get this but not now, I will wait a bit.
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady

Last edited by P@t_Mtl; 09-05-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #11

Nov 2007
Central Hoosierland

Wow. I remember this used to be on one of the major networks back in the mid-to-late 70s every Christmas Day. Not the "Ralphie" marathon we get nowadays, but I do remember watching it as a kid many times.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

one of my faves as a kid. watched this every year. never seen the colorized version. glad they're including both.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
Special Member

Aug 2010

Legend is also releasing MANDINGO on blu-ray the same day. They released some great dvds a couple years ago of THE SKULL, MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH, PHASE IV and many others licensed from Paramount. I emailed them about the blu-rays and any possibilities of the UK horrors coming out on blu as well (which would be incredible, as THE SKULL is a very creepy, odd film by Freddie Francis with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee). Here's what they wrote back:

These are two of our best-selling titles [Mandingo and Wooden Soldiers] and we're hoping to find that there is an audience for these "catalog" movies on Blu-ray. If they are met with a good release, we are certainly looking towards moving all of our titles to Blu-ray, including your Hammer and British horror films (which I think would be great for Blu-ray as the original reels are very clean and should have a very nice HD transfer.)
Old 09-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #14
Trading Moderator

Sep 2008
Улбар шар өнгийн

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob71 View Post
Are they trying to sneak this one by us or something? This is a bigger release to me than a lot of the catalogs from the majors getting dates. I'll definitely be picking it up, good catch. Now, like hidef al said, bring on the Stooges.
We need these guys in HD, ASAP!!!

Trade Forum

Old 09-06-2010, 02:40 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Great to see the classic b&w comedies making their HD debuts. Already got Buster Keton's Steamboat Bill Jr, and The General with two more of his movies announced for this year. Chaplin is also coming to Blu. We need more Laurel and Hardy, The Three Stooges, Abbot and Costello, Bob Hope, and some classic screwball comedies (anything with Cary Grant).
Old 09-06-2010, 02:46 AM   #16
Trading Moderator

Sep 2008
Улбар шар өнгийн

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Titan View Post
Great to see the classic b&w comedies making their HD debuts. Already got Buster Keton's Steamboat Bill Jr, and The General with two more of his movies announced for this year. Chaplin is also coming to Blu. We need more Laurel and Hardy, The Three Stooges, Abbot and Costello, Bob Hope, and some classic screwball comedies (anything with Cary Grant).
Don't forget The Little Rascals.

Trade Forum

Old 09-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #17
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidef al View Post
Don't forget The Little Rascals.
...Not likely, as Warner banished them to the Archive.

The Stooges are still at Sony, where they're not out of the realm of possibility, and most of classic A&C are at Universal--As in, Universal, not to mention the last time they came out was as bulk-boxset. (Although that wouldn't rule out a symbolic "vs. Frankenstein", the one title they believe everyone remembers.)
Bob Hope was Paramount/Uni and no hope except for the Road movies, and Cary Grant's all over the studios, but at least we've got Charade.

And Laurel & Hardy? If you mean the Hal Roach ones (and not the poor MGM operettas from Warner's TCM collections), last seen at Artisan, and not for a while...Not to mention we're only getting this one because of Legend Films being PD-weasels for colorization.

Last edited by EricJ; 09-06-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #18
Trading Moderator

Sep 2008
Улбар шар өнгийн

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
...Not likely, as Warner banished them to the Archive.
That's too bad. I was hoping to see the gang in HD. I guess I'll stick with my DVDs.

At least we'll get to see Laurel and Hardy in HD.

Trade Forum

Old 09-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #19

Aug 2007
London

You give me Inception and Alien and BTTF, and I will raise you March of the Wooden Soldiers. Biggest release of the year, by far.
I'm so stoked, cannot wait.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

i use to watch this every year. never seen the colorized version. glad both versions are included. still have some imagery burned into my memory. headless soliders and dart cannons. Yes!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America