Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Spider-Man: Homecoming (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Logan Lucky (Blu-ray)
$11.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Samurai Champloo: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$15.99
My Hero Academia: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$21.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Black Lagoon: Complete Collection Season 1 and 2 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Jingle All the Way (Blu-ray)
$4.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-29-2007, 01:39 AM   #1

May 2007
Default Who cares about interactivity?

Throwing fuel on the fire here, who really cares about interactivity? I put in a movie, I watch the movie, and sometimes I watch the extras. The only feature I have seen in action that is useful is seamless branching. I have seen concepts for upcoming interactive features, and all I see is something I may fool with for five minutes before or after I watch the movie. I would like to know what everyone else really thinks about this interactive stuff.

I love the PCM sound of blu ray. I could care less about some of the other stuff.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:43 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2006
Oceanside, CA.
Send a message via ICQ to BTBuck1 Send a message via AIM to BTBuck1 Send a message via MSN to BTBuck1 Send a message via Yahoo to BTBuck1

Not I said the Fly
Blu-ray Disc Supporter: PS3 60gb/Oppo BDP-93 3D, dual HDMI
HD DVD: Toshiba HD-A30,A2/Xbox360 add on (boxed HD-A1)
Samsung LN46B750 LCD 1080p/240hz
Sony kdl55hx729 1080p/240hz local dimming 3DLED
:myspace.com/bluraydisc: :blurayoasis:
Old 08-29-2007, 01:45 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
::1

I do, but it takes a back seat to picture and audio and price.
-Chris
Old 08-29-2007, 01:46 AM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

May 2007
Send a message via AIM to Lord_Stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjnyzio View Post
Agreed. I like that I can bring up the menus while the movie is still playing, but don't need any extensive special features. Good PQ and uncompressed PCM is what really matters.
the day movie theatres decides to go with interactive presentation, is the day i will be okay with it. Right now, I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT IT....i enjoy my movies with good PQ and Uncompressed PCM. just like you.
Victory Is Mine

Don't even think about it
Obey the Topus!
PSN ID: Shadblz
OBEY ME OR I WILL PUT YOU ON DIAPER DETAIL
THE CLINTS CHARTER MEMBER 01/06/10
Old 08-29-2007, 01:47 AM   #5

Jul 2007
Marlton, NJ
Send a message via AIM to lokus

Despite my past track record with movies (not really watching extras), I am actually a big proponent of extra, interactive features. I feel that the next generation disc has to offer many more features that SD DVD for most "normal" consumers to see benefits. I think the HD video quality is going to be loved by many consumers but I don't see audio being that big of a deal. I know many fans of both the HD DVD and Blu-ray sides always talk about how great the audio is but we are talking about the average consumer who probably doesn't have the setup to enjoy such sound. I am in favor of anything they do to make the next format interactive and enjoyable.
Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
Panasonic Viera TC-L32C12
Playstation 3 (60gb)
Playstation 3 Slim (120gb)
My live Blu-ray chat channel: http://chat.efnet.org/ , channel #blu-ray
Classic Film Fanatics - Classic Movie/TV and Memorabilia Collectors Forum
Old 08-29-2007, 01:51 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjnyzio View Post
Agreed. I like that I can bring up the menus while the movie is still playing, but don't need any extensive special features. Good PQ and uncompressed PCM is what really matters.
Agree 100%. I love the menu overlay on BD movies. As for extras, I don't think I can name more than 10 movies that I've ever watched the extras on in my entire dvd collection.
"But that's exactly my point! Because you have to Wonder, now how did the machines know what Tasty Wheat tasted like? Maybe they got it wrong. Maybe what I think Tasty Wheat tasted like actually tasted like, uhh, oatmeal, or uhh, tuna fish? That makes you wonder about a lot of things, like you take chicken for example, maybe they couldn't figure out what to make chicken taste like, which is why chicken tastes like everything!"

PSN: coldenergy Destiny-free for: var day=60*60*24;
GO PACKERS
Old 08-29-2007, 01:57 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertang View Post
Throwing fuel on the fire here, who really cares about interactivity? I put in a movie, I watch the movie, and sometimes I watch the extras. The only feature I have seen in action that is useful is seamless branching. I have seen concepts for upcoming interactive features, and all I see is something I may fool with for five minutes before or after I watch the movie. I would like to know what everyone else really thinks about this interactive stuff.

I love the PCM sound of blu ray. I could care less about some of the other stuff.
Me too.I'll watch some of it but i wouldn't miss anything.On my old sony dvd player and remote the a botton to press for mutiple angles of a film, can't remember the last time i saw a dvd with mutilple angle on it.

moe
Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 AM   #8
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertang View Post
Throwing fuel on the fire here, who really cares about interactivity?
Okay--It's particuarly appropriate, given the "Why do we need hi-def?" arguments today...
But any true '97-'99 birth-of-DVD survivor can quote the "Third Rock From the Sun" scene by heart:

Back when there were only twelve disks on DVD, and the technology was still seen as some insanely and pointlessly anal-retentive toy for laserdisk home-theater geeks who deserved to pay $2000 for it...
We had a "satirical" episode where the Kristen Johnston and French Stewart alien characters wander into a Circuit City and catch the home-theater bug for the first time, in all its embarrassing glory--And in one scene, try to turn a skeptical friend onto the "wonders" of 1997-era DVD:
---
"Look at the picture!...And that Dolby stereo sound!"
"Guys...It's 'Leprechaun 2'."
"But this's the Special Edition, with the director commentary!"
"The director of 'Leprechaun 2'!!"
"But the include the original theatrical trailer on the bonus extras!"
"Great--They're making you pay for what you could see in the theater for free?"
---

(Now, there're probably going to be some mainstream-whiners on this thread who think I'm trying to play the "Yeah, why do we need PiP on Batman Begins?" card--
OTOH, I might be trying to remind the younger folk, that once upon a time, not too long ago, and not too far far away, normal people went around thinking "Extras? On a DVD?--Oh, come on!...I mean, people just want to see the movie, don't they? Why not just rent the tape, it's cheaper!")
Old 08-29-2007, 02:08 AM   #9
Power Member

Jul 2007
I'm not drunk, I'm just tired cause I been up all night drinking.

I agree entirely. It watches the movie - it puts the movie back in the case.
PIP for a movie seems STUPID
Put the blu-ray in the f@*{'n basket. I'll hurt your poodle mister.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:10 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard lichtenfelt View Post
It watches the movie - it puts the movie back in the case.
Gollum? Is that you?
"But that's exactly my point! Because you have to Wonder, now how did the machines know what Tasty Wheat tasted like? Maybe they got it wrong. Maybe what I think Tasty Wheat tasted like actually tasted like, uhh, oatmeal, or uhh, tuna fish? That makes you wonder about a lot of things, like you take chicken for example, maybe they couldn't figure out what to make chicken taste like, which is why chicken tastes like everything!"

PSN: coldenergy Destiny-free for: var day=60*60*24;
GO PACKERS
Old 08-29-2007, 02:15 AM   #11
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard lichtenfelt View Post
I agree entirely. It watches the movie - it puts the movie back in the case.
(...But when does it put the lotion on its skin?)
Old 08-29-2007, 02:37 AM   #12

Jan 2007
Shaw AFB, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadblz View Post
the day movie theatres decides to go with interactive presentation, is the day i will be okay with it. Right now, I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT IT....i enjoy my movies with good PQ and Uncompressed PCM. just like you.
I like this. I agree. I've never gone into a movie theatre to watch a movie and wondered where all the mini-games or director commentaries were.

On the other hand I can understand why some people expect them. They are paying for them, but in the end I ask those people; are you buying the movie for the movie or to see how they made it and play little mini games? I do like the new menu's though.
60gb PS3
"premium" 360
Samsung 46" LCD 1080p tv (LN-S4695D)
Panasonic 42" Plasma 720p tv (TH-42PX60U)
Denon 3808ci
Klipsch RB35(4), RC52, RW12d--RF62(2 on wishlist)
81 Blu Ray Titles...

15 PS3 Games
Old 08-29-2007, 02:40 AM   #13
Special Member

Jun 2007
South NJ

If I want to interact with something I will play a game. A movie is all about sitting back and enjoying the show.
Playstation 3
PS3 Game Collection - 32
PSN Name: TheDude059
Founder of the BluClan (7/7/07)

MyBluTech/BluClan
Old 08-29-2007, 02:40 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Well, I got Blu-ray for the killer PQ.
Extras? Interactivity?
Uhm... does any of this make the picture better? Didn't think so... Pass!
VGN-AR190G - UJ-210S BD Burner
VGN-AR730E/B - UJ-120 BD Combo

like.no.other
Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2006
Oceanside, CA.
Send a message via ICQ to BTBuck1 Send a message via AIM to BTBuck1 Send a message via MSN to BTBuck1 Send a message via Yahoo to BTBuck1

Quote:
Now thats what I am talkin about.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:54 AM   #16
Blu-ray Baron

May 2007

tell me how many of you bought the same title more than 3 times because of a new extra features version that was just released. I know i didn't. when x-men came out on dvd, i bought it. right before the release of x2, the studio decided to release x-men 1.5. and all it had was extra features compared to the original release and behind the scenes featurette for x2. it wasn't that interesting. same way i look at the interactivity feature.
Victory Is Mine

Obey the Topus!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:55 AM   #17
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
the day movie theatres decides to go with interactive presentation, is the day i will be okay with it. Right now, I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT IT....
Actually, there's a wealth of illuminating history on the short-lived rise and fall of "InterFilm" (anyone remember "Mr. Payback"?) on the bonus menu, if you can track down the hard-to-find DVD for what was supposed to be the first theater-interactive InterFilm(TM), "I'm Your Man".
(They had hoped to rescue the movies as interactive DVD's, but this was back in the late-90's, and the market and companies were too small.)

And going by Roger Ebert's review of "Mr. Payback", what ultimately sank InterFilm after two films was, ironically, that it was designed as a group-theater effort, and it frustratingly just wasn't interactive enough.
(Although starting out with an unwatchably dopey Bob Gale movie didn't help the emerging technology any either.)

...Um, does that bit of real-life history kill the joke off enough, or shall I take another go at it?

Last edited by EricJ; 08-29-2007 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:00 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2006
Oceanside, CA.

Quote:
tell me how many of you bought the same title more than 3 times because of a new extra features version that was just released. I know i didn't. when x-men came out on dvd, i bought it. right before the release of x2, the studio decided to release x-men 1.5. and all it had was extra features compared to the original release and behind the scenes featurette for x2. it wasn't that interesting. same way i look at the interactivity feature.
I'd double & tripple dip in a heartbeat over additional content (like the LOTR extended cuts) or with Remastering (Like TFE BD) which btw, i never had the crap version I think I always knew they'd fix it.

But I would never double dip for a game, or deleted scenes(out-takes), or especially not to hear some whiney director explain something to me. I just wanna watch the friggin flick. Very rarely do I wonder "how'd they do that" or, "why was this this way" If I wanna know that info...i usually look it up online anyways.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:03 AM   #19
Blu-ray Baron

May 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBuck1 View Post
I'd double & tripple dip in a heartbeat over additional content (like the LOTR extended cuts) or with Remastering (Like TFE BD) which btw, i never had the crap version I think I always knew they'd fix it.

But I would never double dip for a game, or deleted scenes(out-takes), or especially not to hear some whiney director explain something to me. I just wanna watch the friggin flick. Very rarely do I wonder "how'd they do that" or, "why was this this way" If I wanna know that info...i usually look it up online anyways.
i should have been clear about it, but you did it for me. thanks i couldn't have explained it better...
Victory Is Mine

Obey the Topus!
Old 08-29-2007, 03:23 AM   #20
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
tell me how many of you bought the same title more than 3 times because of a new extra features version that was just released. I know i didn't. when x-men came out on dvd, i bought it. right before the release of x2, the studio decided to release x-men 1.5. and all it had was extra features compared to the original release and behind the scenes featurette for x2.
Well, if you're wondering why it was called "1.5", the original idea was that Bryan Singer really was going to film some new deleted script scenes for an "Extended Edition", Peter Jackson-style, while busy on the set for X2--
Unfortunately (as some of us didn't find out until we bought it), schedules and budget didn't allow it, and the "1.5" set ultimately kept the title but went out with the commentary and some making-of footage that the underwhelming first set was originally missing when it first rushed out.
But Fox had the release date, they'd advertised the pre-order, they were married to it, go figure.

What you're probably thinking of is "Spiderman 2.5" and all the other dopey promotional re-releases that mindlessly borrowed the cool decimal-point title idea without realizing why the first one used it in the first place...

Last edited by EricJ; 08-29-2007 at 03:25 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America