Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Strain: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.96
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Kundo (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$12.98
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 07-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #1041

Aug 2008
UK
United Kingdom

Can I ask exactly what is happening please?

- what player firmware are you running
- is it that the mod wont change regions, if so unplug from the mains and leave for a minute
Old 07-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #1042

Jul 2009
Melbourne, Australia

current oppo fw is the 707 beta.

tried the power off - still the same.

the pro mod chip works (changes regions) but only the movie Gamer doesnt.
CD Transport: Oppo 105 (Pro Kit)
Processor: Primare SP33
Amplifier: Elektra Theatron 7
Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8
Cables: Morrow Ma1, Van Den Hul & Neotech.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #1043
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by genkifd View Post
current oppo fw is the 707 beta.

tried the power off - still the same.

the pro mod chip works (changes regions) but only the movie Gamer doesnt.
Maybe the disc has developed a fault? This does seem odd!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #1044

Jul 2009
Melbourne, Australia

i very much doubt it - but i wll try my Region B pana tonight

update - still cant fw upgrade my pro kit but i inserted the movie Gamer, the message came up once again. pressed Stop, play and it worked. Ejected the disc and played it again the message didnt come up. what da!!!!

at least it works now thanks guys.
CD Transport: Oppo 105 (Pro Kit)
Processor: Primare SP33
Amplifier: Elektra Theatron 7
Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8
Cables: Morrow Ma1, Van Den Hul & Neotech.

Last edited by genkifd; 07-14-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:53 AM   #1045
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

VUDU is now available on the OPPO BDP-93 and BDP-95 officially

On Wed July 13th 2011 OPPO Digital Inc released firmware version BDP9x-52-0707 for an official release version. This upgrade is a major upgrade that adds a minimum of 15 improvements. Easiest way to get the update is to connect the player to the Internet. Also VUDU comes with a free $5.99 1080P movie credit per email address. I prefer watching Blu-ray movies instead of streaming since the quality of Blu-ray discs is better, but VUDU is the best quality streaming available and I am sure more people will purchase OPPO players since VUDU is now official.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/bdp9x-firmware-52-0707.aspx

QUOTE FROM OPPO WEBSITE:

"Comparing to the previous official release version BDP9x-42-0323, the major changes included in this version are:

1. Added VUDU HD Movies streaming. Access VUDU at the Home or Source Menu.
2. The Netflix interface is upgraded to version 2.1. This upgrade allows for Canadian customers to stream Netflix and adds the "Search" function.
3. Added the Zoom and Aspect Ratio (AR) adjustment for BD-Java enabled discs (available on HDMI 1 only). To take advantage of this functionality, set the Primary Output to HDMI 1 (Video Setup), use a resolution other than “Source Direct”, and use the HDMI 1 output on the BDP-93. During the disc playback, press the ZOOM button to change the zoom level and AR on the fly. A momentarily black screen may be observed but this is normal. Please note that 3D BD-Java Blu-rays do not allow for Zoom adjustments.
4. Improved the Speaker Configuration options under Audio Processing. It is now possible to independently set distances for each speaker (previously speaker groups were treated as linked pairs), speaker distances can now be set to the actual spatial distance of the speakers (previously no speaker could be set further from listening position and the Front Left/Right speakers), “Test Tones” can now be used in conjunction with the player’s internal trim controls, speaker distances can now be set in quarter foot increments and speakers no longer require a minimum distance.
5. Added a new option for "Volume Control" under Setup -> Audio Processing. This function allows for enabling or disabling the analog volume controls (also known as Variable Audio). If set to "OFF" then the VOL-/+ keys on the remote will no longer affect the analog audio output.
6. Added "Direct Play" support for DVD-Audio titles. After loading the DVD-Audio title, pressing STOP followed by PLAY on the remote control will directly access the first Group/Title, bypassing any menu.
7. Improved HDMI compatibility with some Audio/Video (AV) receivers. Some customers reported that after updating to the previous Official 42-0323 firmware, HDMI handshake problems (such as momentary black screen, audio and/or video dropout,flashing screen, etc.) were observed, and in most cases, it only happened on HDMI 1 not on HDMI 2.
8. Upgraded the Blu-ray loader driver (CN0900). This upgrade should result in smoother and quitter disc operation.
9. Added OGG and OGM Vorbis media support.
10. Added ID-Tag support for APE and FLAC files. Now these formats will show Title, Artist, Album and Genre on screen when played back at the Home Menu. Embedded Album Art is also supported for FLAC files.
11. Improved access and read speed to external hard drive (HDD) connected with USB or eSATA, especially when two external HDDs are connected in parallel.
12. Improved BD-Live connectivity. For example, "MovieIQ" will now properly connect and download additional media on select Sony Pictures Blu-rays.
13. Improved DLNA performance, which includes faster indexing and more reliable media playback, and added additional DLNA server support.
14. Fixed the incorrect vertical stretch on some 4:3 DVD films, such as "TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH" (FOX 2002). This issue could be observed when TV Aspect Ratio is set to "16:9 Wide/Auto" and no zooming operation is performed.
15. Improved general disc compatibility based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples."

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 07-14-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:52 AM   #1046

Dec 2010
Palm Beach Gardens

Thank you Oppo,
I have been having Hdmi handshake issues with my Denon 4311 receiver when playing some of my blu-rays. I was going to switch my cable to Hdmi 2 since others have said that the audio dropouts were not occurring when using the secondary output, but after I upgraded to the latest firmware, the discs are playing fine now.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #1047
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

OPPO Digital Inc has very good customer service. One time I was moving one of my OPPO BDP-93’s around in a TV cabinet and the power cord was stretched too much around tight corners in the TV cabinet. The power cord became damaged and since I abused the cord most likely the cord would not be covered under the 1 year warranty. I emailed OPPO Digital to ask them if I could order a new power cord that was damaged instead of getting one at my local Radio Shack. To my surprise OPPO Digital Inc sent me a free power cord by first class mail that only took 3 days to arrive. The new round power cord was also much thicker with better construction quality; the old power cord was a thinner flat design.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 07-16-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:30 AM   #1048

Apr 2011

HDTV does that power cord fit better in the back of the oppo player? I also have the flat cable and it seems to be ridiculously loose into the player.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #1049
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post
HDTV does that power cord fit better in the back of the oppo player? I also have the flat cable and it seems to be ridiculously loose into the player.
Yes the fit is tighter on the thicker round power cord. They originally shipped the player with the thinner flat power cord but if one stretches it too much it can break inside. Itís a good thing that modern day Blu-ray players, TVís, and A/V receivers have detachable power cords. In the old days if a power cord was damaged one had to get their soldering iron out or send the item in for service.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #1050

Apr 2011

Ok ill have to send em an email or call em up and see what happens. Got a brand new player mine last was faulty and the plug just doesnt fit snug at all i can move it around a lot.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #1051
Special Member

May 2007
Dublin

hi guys,

is there any region free for blu-ray mod that doesnt require region changing at startup etc?

Cheers,
Mick
Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #1052
Special Member

May 2007
Dublin

Hi folks,

Question re my Oppo BD 93, currently i am using HDMI 2 to send lossless audio to my Denon 3311.. im sending the audio as bitstream and letting the denon do the decoding.. would i be better off using analogue interconnects though and let the Oppo do the decoding ? I dont have any interconnects to try with.. just interested to see what others would recommend.. id think i'd miss thought blue lights on my Denon though.. and the DTS / Dolby True HD writing..

Cheers,
Mick
Old 07-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #1053
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
Hi folks,

Question re my Oppo BD 93, currently i am using HDMI 2 to send lossless audio to my Denon 3311.. im sending the audio as bitstream and letting the denon do the decoding.. would i be better off using analogue interconnects though and let the Oppo do the decoding ? I dont have any interconnects to try with.. just interested to see what others would recommend.. id think i'd miss thought blue lights on my Denon though.. and the DTS / Dolby True HD writing..

Cheers,
Mick
No, you wouldn't be better off.
Chet

BD 3D: This ain't yo momma's 3D!!! ;)
Old 07-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #1054

Jul 2009

Just got my Oppo BDP-93. Did the firmware upgrade and have it connected to my Onkyo TX-SR875 and... I get no sound. The receiver is capable of playing DTS Master Audio HD and Dobly Digital HD but I get nothing. What am I doing wrong? I went into the settings of the Oppo and changed the audio output to advanced which is supposed to be the support setting for HDMI 1.3. Man I hope I dont have a bunk player!
Sony Bravia KDL-55X723
Onkyo TX-SR875s
Oppo BDP-93
Advent Heritage x7
Elemental Designs A5-350 x2
Old 08-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #1055

Apr 2010
Quahog, Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdhrd View Post
Just got my Oppo BDP-93. Did the firmware upgrade and have it connected to my Onkyo TX-SR875 and... I get no sound. The receiver is capable of playing DTS Master Audio HD and Dobly Digital HD but I get nothing. What am I doing wrong? I went into the settings of the Oppo and changed the audio output to advanced which is supposed to be the support setting for HDMI 1.3. Man I hope I dont have a bunk player!
Your Onkyo receiver should have 4 HDMI inputs. Check if you assigned it to the the correct input selection eg. DVD, GAME/TV, AUX 1, etc.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #1056
Power Member

May 2010
Denmark

I have yet to find a video of the bdp 93 streaming music so how is this interface? Is it easy to use?
Can it be used a Squeezebox touch replacement?
Hands off the compression button, Music industry!
Hands off the DNR button, Blu-Ray producers!
Films are supposed to have grain!

https://twitter.com/Kristofferabild
Old 08-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #1057
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Ottawa,Canada
Send a message via MSN to TheZoof

Hey all! I have been on the fence for an Oppo for a long time.

I owned an Oppo DVD player many moons ago and as it was the first upconverting player I had it really did produce the best dvd image I had seen.

Now here comes blu-ray age and I wanted to pick up an Oppo right away(but they didn't exist). I continued to use my PS3 without issues.

I then decided to get the Oppo BDP-83 when I saw it however due to reasons I waited and finally ready to buy when I heard they were discontinuing it for the 93. So I thought I would wait...

I wanted something with quiet fans(or no fans) as my ps3 is too loud so I ended up getting an $80 Seiki blu-ray player. It has worked well and if I think about it enough I believe there is a small increase in picture quality over the PS3. I am still using it to this day.

Now I see the 93 is finally out and I have a little bit of disposable income that I would like to put into that player.

My question is this, currently my Seiki is working fine, does what I want and is relatively quiet. Am I going to SEE/HEAR a difference purchasing the Oppo?

I mean people spend $500 for a reason I assume but I haven't seen a comparison video or side by side etc showing it does make a difference. Currently I am not moving to 3d as I love my Kuro however I do see the advantage the 93 has in order to use that feature in the future.

Other than that is my $500 worth it for video and audio improvements over my ps3 or Seiki?

Thanks all!
The Zoof

Living Room - Pioneer KRP-500M | Pioneer Elite SC-25 | Panasonic DMP-BD89| PS4 | Wii U
Speakers
- PSB Image B25 Monitor | PSB Alpha B1 Monitor | PSB Alpha C1 Monitor | Klipsch SW-115

Fav Blu Right Now - No Country for Old Men
Old 08-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #1058

Apr 2011

If all your using it for is dvds and blurays then youre fine with the ps3. If you plan on using isos and bluray rips and all that jazz then you should. I bought it because i don't like using my ps3 for gaming and blurays and shorten its life considerable so bought a bluray player. Wanted something quality with great customer support so i bought the oppo. My lg crapped out after 6months. Wanted 70$ to fix it so i said no.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #1059
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Ottawa,Canada
Send a message via MSN to TheZoof

Bummer... I don't do a lot of isos or files. If I do though I just run media server for that.

I was hoping for a better answer... May as well save my pennies now.
The Zoof

Living Room - Pioneer KRP-500M | Pioneer Elite SC-25 | Panasonic DMP-BD89| PS4 | Wii U
Speakers
- PSB Image B25 Monitor | PSB Alpha B1 Monitor | PSB Alpha C1 Monitor | Klipsch SW-115

Fav Blu Right Now - No Country for Old Men
Old 08-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #1060

Apr 2011

Me personally i did notice better sound and better video on blurays then my old lg bluray player. It does sound better then the ps3 as well. Its got a deeper sound and more bass. Don't ask me how thats what my eyes and ears tell me.

Its a fine player and has the best dvd upconvert on the market but like you said you already have a DVD player that upconverts. I don't regret buying an oppo but with the few issues i ended up having with my first player then with my tv and the oppo i should have stuck with something basic and a whole lot cheaper.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders