COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.31
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Tinto Brass: Maestro of Erotica Cinema (Blu-ray)
$45.34
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Insomnia (Blu-ray)
$22.98
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Old 10-06-2010, 01:55 AM   #1

Dec 2008
Louisville, KY
Default ATT Uverse

Does anyone use ATT uverse for cable TV and Internet? What are your impressions, comments about the service(picture quality, hardware, software, support)? It is now offered in our neighborhood. I currently have cable service now and may switch.
Basement-Panasonic TC-P50X1, Sony BDP-S360, Onkyo TX NR709, Energy C-C50, Energy C-200, Sony SA-W2500, WII, Sony PS3
Living Room-JVC AV-48WP30, Sony DAV-HDX500
Family Room-JVC LT-32X667, Sony BDP-S350
Old 10-06-2010, 02:05 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

I have the AT&T U-Verse cable and other stuff. If you want my opinion, I wouldn't go back to Time Warner or Dish Network ever again.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:15 AM   #3

May 2009
Jacksonville, FL

Had directv. Tried Uverse to see if we could get high speed internet and solid HD in one package at a lower price. The HD tv looked like garbage compared to Directv. Also, we were promised a 30 day trial period (if we didn't like it, we wouldn't be charged....). That didn't happen and we fought them for 3 months over a $275 bill.

Directv trumps uverse, and comcast (i have had/tried both) hands down.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:38 AM   #4

Dec 2008
Louisville, KY

Any links to how the whole system is wired/connected?
Basement-Panasonic TC-P50X1, Sony BDP-S360, Onkyo TX NR709, Energy C-C50, Energy C-200, Sony SA-W2500, WII, Sony PS3
Old 10-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #5

Sep 2010
Illinois
Send a message via AIM to Bombers Send a message via MSN to Bombers

I had my u-verse done 2 months ago and they wire everything up using cat5 cable instead of coax. I haven't had any issues with it, most of the the time the hd is good except I had my first problem during the bears game on sunday the channel got a little distorted. But the price is great cheaper than getting comcast or directTV out by me..
LG 60" Plasma (60PS60C)
PS3 160gb | PSN: BomBerS_BD_
XBOX 360 | Gamertag: ZIGGY1988
Old 10-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #6

Dec 2008
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombers View Post
I had my u-verse done 2 months ago and they wire everything up using cat5 cable instead of coax. I haven't had any issues with it, most of the the time the hd is good except I had my first problem during the bears game on sunday the channel got a little distorted. But the price is great cheaper than getting comcast or directTV out by me..
So all the boxes are connected by cat5 cable? Was your home already wired that way or did they have to run all new cat5 cables?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #7

Nov 2008
kansas city, MO
Default re

Directv has the best looking HD pictures. U-verse does not compare. The only reason Im still with it is because of price.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #8

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by brps3 View Post
Directv has the best looking HD pictures. U-verse does not compare. The only reason Im still with it is because of price.
I think this depends on how far you are from your VRAD. Mine is infront of my condo building. The HD picture is amazing, far above anything I ever got from Dish. Almost as good as OTA.
Display: Panasonic TC-P60S30
BD Player: Sony BDP-S770
Receiver: Denon AVR-991
Mains: Yamaha NS-777
Center: Yamaha NS-C444
Surrounds: Sony SS-F6000
Sub: Velodyne VX-10C
Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #9

Aug 2010

Thinking of getting Uverse, but just for the internet. Any information on it , speed, connetions going down, things like that. I have AT&T, non fiber optic now. Any information would be appreciated.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #10

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk7883 View Post
Thinking of getting Uverse, but just for the internet. Any information on it , speed, connetions going down, things like that. I have AT&T, non fiber optic now. Any information would be appreciated.
Anyone please
Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #11

Dec 2010

I liked mine when I had it. Was able to get 10 MB DL speed. Not alot compared to cable, but I really don't want to deal with Time Warner, although I really want DOCSIS 3.0, and it's available where I am.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #12

Jun 2008
Atlanta, GA

Hawk, from what I have read, the video is optimized for SD. Sure, It can do HD, but not as well as cable and satellite. My mom and dad had it for a year and dropped it. It took 4 technicians to get it working (the fourth one found that it wasn't grounded properly).

Since you are mainly interested in Internet service, that seemed to work okay for dad. I'm not sure how much bandwidth he got. It's called IP TV because all the data is sent to each TV via Internet Protocol (IP). Each set has to have a box and each box has an Ethernet port on the back. Of course there is a router that connects you to ATT's network.

Since most homes are not wired to support such signals, ATT will probably have to rewire your place. Make sure they are sending an ATT company technician, not a contractor. If ATT installs it, installation is free. I believe they do not require a contract, so are not committed to a year or two, like some providers require.

You can Google U-Verse your own, but this is my two cents. Good luck.

BDP__: Sony BDP-S550 _____ TV_: Sony KDL-52XBR4 _____ AVR_: Denon 4802 7.2
LAN__: 2 10/100 Ethernet ports ______________ Stand: Standout Designs N702
Spkrs: 2 Mirage Omni 260, Omni CC, 4 OmniSats Subs: Prestige S10 & JBL 120
Pwr Conditioner__: APC Smart-UPS 1000VA LCD RM 2U, True Sine Wave Inverter
Old 01-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #13

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY_HD View Post
Hawk, from what I have read, the video is optimized for SD. Sure, It can do HD, but not as well as cable and satellite. My mom and dad had it for a year and dropped it. It took 4 technicians to get it working (the fourth one found that it wasn't grounded properly).

Since you are mainly interested in Internet service, that seemed to work okay for dad. I'm not sure how much bandwidth he got. It's called IP TV because all the data is sent to each TV via Internet Protocol (IP). Each set has to have a box and each box has an Ethernet port on the back. Of course there is a router that connects you to ATT's network.

Since most homes are not wired to support such signals, ATT will probably have to rewire your place. Make sure they are sending an ATT company technician, not a contractor. If ATT installs it, installation is free. I believe they do not require a contract, so are not committed to a year or two, like some providers require.

You can Google U-Verse your own, but this is my two cents. Good luck.
Your right, didn't think to use Google, but thanks for the info
Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #14

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRA View Post
I liked mine when I had it. Was able to get 10 MB DL speed. Not alot compared to cable, but I really don't want to deal with Time Warner, although I really want DOCSIS 3.0, and it's available where I am.
Thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #15
Special Member

Aug 2009

I've enjoyed mine so far. Great looking menu and the internet speeds are great with 22+mb at all times here. The only negative I can think of so far is that CBS looks bad at times, but my friend has Charter and even he thinks his CBS gets distorted somewhat at times. That could be our tv sets though as we both have the same one.

Overall, I've been impressed. I wish they had a few channels like MSG HD and SNY HD like Direct Tv, but they make up for it.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #16

Jan 2009
Thumbs down

I've had U-verse for almost 2 years now. I can't stand it. I get a better HD picture from rabbit ears on my tv than I do through their service. If my place offered any other internet provider with cable I would easily switch. Dish or Direct is out of the questions as I can't mount a satellite facing the southern sky.

Service gets interrupted quite frequently. Have to reset my DVR at least once a week and all I get from AT&T is to keep doing it, nothing is wrong. You get severe weather updates, weakly emergency test that give you the option to press exit to bypass but all it does is clear the screen but the loud annoying warning sound continues.

On top of that I pay for the HD package which includes 5.1 surround sound. When I turn that option on in settings the sound is great for about 30 seconds at a time. In between that the sound cuts out. ATT states that it was my receiver as that as the easiest thing to blame instead of their crappy service. I upgraded my receiver when redoing my surround sound setup and the same thing keeps happening but again I get the same answer from ATT.

I've had three buddies at work that have all "upgraded" from other providers and they all complain about the same things I do. Can't tell you if its a regional thing or not but I give them a thumbs down if planning on switching.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimy View Post
I've had U-verse for almost 2 years now. I can't stand it. I get a better HD picture from rabbit ears on my tv than I do through their service. If my place offered any other internet provider with cable I would easily switch. Dish or Direct is out of the questions as I can't mount a satellite facing the southern sky.

Service gets interrupted quite frequently. Have to reset my DVR at least once a week and all I get from AT&T is to keep doing it, nothing is wrong. You get severe weather updates, weakly emergency test that give you the option to press exit to bypass but all it does is clear the screen but the loud annoying warning sound continues.

On top of that I pay for the HD package which includes 5.1 surround sound. When I turn that option on in settings the sound is great for about 30 seconds at a time. In between that the sound cuts out. ATT states that it was my receiver as that as the easiest thing to blame instead of their crappy service. I upgraded my receiver when redoing my surround sound setup and the same thing keeps happening but again I get the same answer from ATT.

I've had three buddies at work that have all "upgraded" from other providers and they all complain about the same things I do. Can't tell you if its a regional thing or not but I give them a thumbs down if planning on switching.
Wow, that sounds like I typed that myself. The phone "tech" told me the same thing. I then informed him that I had no issues with my receiver when I had Comcast, and looking at several forums where AT&T is discussed, there must be a whole lot of defective receivers on the market. The jackass hung up on me. Needless to say, Comcast or Dish will be making a visit to my house very soon. My free HBO package has 1 month left, and then out the door they go. AT&T as a company has gone south in the last few years.
Now the real pain begins, Danny-boy.

My Theater/Media Room.................................................. ............My Media Wall Cabinet(How To/DIY)
Old 01-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #18
Special Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob71 View Post
Wow, that sounds like I typed that myself. The phone "tech" told me the same thing. I then informed him that I had no issues with my receiver when I had Comcast, and looking at several forums where AT&T is discussed, there must be a whole lot of defective receivers on the market. The jackass hung up on me. Needless to say, Comcast or Dish will be making a visit to my house very soon. My free HBO package has 1 month left, and then out the door they go. AT&T as a company has gone south in the last few years.
I've had no problems whatsoever with U-Verse. Not once have I had to reset my dvr nor have I ever had any audio problems.

My internet is very fast. Constantly above 22 mbps.
My phone works great
My tv has not had one single problem and the clarity is great outside of CBS for me and even that is great unless football is on.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #19

May 2007

I had the U-Verse three package deal until about one month ago. I decided to go back to Directv for TV only as I felt the TV package from U-Verse was getting poorer by the day. My major problem with U-Verse TV was that nearly everything that I watched live or recorded would have audio and/or video dropouts. Sometimes these dropouts would last ten to thirty seconds.

I had a U-Verse technician come out at least three separate times in the two years I had all three services. They could never solve my issue.

In addition, towards the end I noticed that my internet connection was affected (sometimes I could not even connect to the internet). I have the 24MB package.

Now that I have Directv back, my TV quality is much better (very few dropouts and never more than a second or two). Additionally, my internet service has worked perfectly.

My personal opinion was that the three services were too much to handle for U-Verse.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Well as far as their phone service... My brother uses Magic Jack and to call me he has to use my cell phone. AT&T says the problem is MJ. Well, he can call everyone else as long as they aren't using Uverse. But that answer appears to be the stock Uverse answer to complaint calls. Listen, then blame another piece of equipment. Apparently my fax machine "had issues" as well. But all of a sudden after 6 months it works. Must be that imaginary firmware update I did.

A question for Uverse phone users. How long did you get double billed? I had to finally get a little indignant over the phone before it was fixed. I did get a $20 Visa card for my effort. My guess is they go through a lot of those...
Now the real pain begins, Danny-boy.

My Theater/Media Room.................................................. ............My Media Wall Cabinet(How To/DIY)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion