Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Fast & Furious 6 (Blu-ray)
$13.00
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Rise of the Guardians (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Turbo (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$154.49
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-06-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH
Default Death Race 2 - January 18, 2011

Here we go.

Quote:
Looks like Universal has dropped Frankenstein Lives! from the title and opted for a much simpler moniker as you'll see from the first DVD/Blu-ray artwork and trailer for the upcoming flick Death Race 2!

From the Press Release
A deadly driving competition spawns a racing legend in Death Race 2, an all-out action thrill ride, coming to Blu-ray™, DVD and Digital Download January 18, 2011 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment DVD Originals™. Danny Trejo (Machete), Ving Rhames (Piranha 3D), Sean Bean (The Lord of the Rings trilogy) and Luke Goss (Hellboy 2: The Golden Army) star, along with returning cast members Fred Koehler (“Lost”) and Robin Shou (Beverly Hills Ninja), in an all-new prequel to Paul W.S. Anderson’s 2008 adrenaline-fueled action-thriller, Death Race. Packed with more of the heart-stopping action, spectacular stunts and shocking twists that propelled the original to cult status, the 2-disc Death Race 2 Blu-ray™ Combo Pack and DVD will include unrated and rated versions of the film as well as in-depth bonus features that go behind the scenes of the thrill-packed story of the greatest Death Race driver of all time. The Blu-ray™ Combo Pack also includes a digital copy of the unrated movie that can be viewed on an array of electronic and portable devices anytime, anywhere.

The latest in the hugely successful line of DVD Originals™ from Universal Studios Home Entertainment Productions, Death Race 2 is directed by Roel Reiné (The Marine 2, The Lost Tribe). The film is produced by Paul W.S. Anderson, Jeremy Bolt and Mike Elliott and executive produced by Roger Corman. Death Race 2 is an official South African/German Co-Production, produced in South Africa by Universal Pictures Productions GmbH and Moonlighting Death Race Films C.C. and co-produced by Genevieve Hofmeyr and Ralph Tuebben.

BONUS FEATURES ON BLU-RAY™ AND DVD:

• Deleted Scenes with introduction by director Roel Reiné
• Deleted Shots Montage with introduction by director Roel Reiné
• The Race Begins: The Evolution of the Death Race—A look at how the prequel fits into the Death Race franchise.
• Cheating Death: The Stunts of Death Race 2—The film’s death-defying stunt crew invites viewers along on the ride of a lifetime.
• Fast Cars and Firearms: The Cars of Death Race 2—Take a look under the hood of the awe-inspiring autos featured in the film.
• Feature Commentary with director Roel Reiné

BLU-RAY™ EXCLUSIVE FEATURES:

• BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers and more.
o MY SCENES: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movie.
• pocket BLU™ app: Experience Blu-ray in an exciting new way with the pocket BLU™ app for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Blackberry, Android, PC and Macintosh. With this app, you can work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray™ player to activate advanced features such as:

o Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease as well as activate a timeline to skip to any point in the movie with the slide of a finger.
o Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the movie.
o Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there’s a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy exclusive content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
o VIRTUAL Keyboard: Enter data into a Blu-ray™ player with your device’s easy and intuitive keyboard to facilitate such Blu-ray™ features as chatting with friends and sending messages.
• UHEAR: Always catch every word with uHear! This innovative feature instantly skips back a few seconds on your Blu-ray™ disc and turns on the subtitles for the section you couldn’t hear!

SYNOPSIS
Death Race 2 takes place in the very near future, as the United States economy begins to decline and violent crime starts to spiral out of control. To contain the growing criminal population, a vast network of for-profit, private prisons springs up, creating a lawless subculture ruled by gangs, cold-blooded killers and sociopaths. The worst of these prisons is Terminal Island, where inmates fight each other in a highly rated televised death match, where there are no rules, and the winner is the one who survives the gladiator-style, no-holds-barred competition. Convicted cop-killer Carl Lucas (Luke Goss) arrives on the Island to serve his life sentence just as ruthlessly ambitious television personality September Jones evolves the death match into the ultimate reality show – Death Race. A brutal prison yard demolition derby that pits prisoners against each other in steel reinforced, heavily armed vehicles, Death Race offers the winner the ultimate prize: freedom — if he can survive to enjoy it.

For more information visit the official Death Race 2 website!

Last edited by Deciazulado; 01-07-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Minnesota
Send a message via AIM to Minimejer05 Send a message via MSN to Minimejer05 Send a message via Yahoo to Minimejer05 Send a message via Skype™ to Minimejer05

That cover art is hilarious! I love how they try and make him look like Statham. Isnt this a prequel yet its called #2?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimejer05 View Post
That cover art is hilarious! I love how they try and make him look like Statham. Isnt this a prequel yet its called #2?
Yeah, Universal has some bad marketing. A lot of prequels are listed as #2. Scorpion King 2; Smokin' Aces 2; and now Death Race 2! I don't know, is the girl trying to be Miley Cyrus or something?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
Out there...past the trees...

I was originally going to dismiss this as more DTV trash. But considering that it's a prequel, and it's produced by Paul WS Anderson, I might give it a rent, or a really cheap blind-buy.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Power Member

Nov 2007
Saginaw, MI

The cover art looks comical

If the Audio/Video get high marks I'll give it a rent and possibly a buy if I like it enough... I'm not holding my breath.
My Blu-ray Statistics

JVC DLA-RS40 w/Darbee Darblet & 003 lamp, False-wall 130" Spandex acoustically transparent screen, Sanyo PLV-Z2000 (gaming), 7.1 Paradigm Studios, Onkyo TX-NR818, Emotiva LPA-1, Behringer EP4000 x2, EIGHT Stereo Integrity HT 18"s, Balanced MiniDSP, Cross·Spectrum UMIK-1, DIY Acoustic Treatments, Sony BDP‑S590, Sony PS3, HTPC, Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD, Dish VIP622 DVR, Leather Theater seating, Dry bar, Panasonic TH-50PX60U, APC H15 power conditioner, Harmony Smart Control
Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Special Member

Aug 2007
USA
-
-

Sean Bean is too good of an actor to be slumming it in DTV movies.

I kinda liked the Statham remake, so I'm a little curious about seeing this despite the fact that DTV sequels are almost always horrible.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Ving Rhames, Danny Trejo and Sean Bean? I may have to check this out.
Now the real pain begins, Danny-boy.

My Theater/Media Room.................................................. ............My Media Wall Cabinet(How To/DIY)
Old 10-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #8
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimejer05 View Post
That cover art is hilarious! I love how they try and make him look like Statham.
Well, maybe that's the whole point. Because this film is about the original Frankenstein that Statham takes the place of when he gets killed in the opening teaser scene in the original movie. So getting an actor to play the role that Statham was "replacing" in the original movie might make a bit of sense, no?

Quote:
Isnt this a prequel yet its called #2?
OK genius, how would YOU number a prequel film that comes out (obviously) after the original film? eg. Death Race 0?

Like the following poster said, Scorpion King 2 was a prequel, so where's the confusion?
"In Brightest Day, In Darkest Night, No Evil Shall Escape My Sight, Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might, Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light!

Last edited by Lincoln6Echo; 10-07-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
Out there...past the trees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln6Echo View Post
OK genius, how would YOU number a prequel film that comes out (obviously) after the original film? eg. Death Race 0?
Why not? The "Ringu" prequel did, it was called "Ringu Ř." So this could easily be "Death Race Ř," or "Death Race 0."

Even better would be something like "Death Race: The Beginning" or something. It's cliched and cheesy, but it works.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob71 View Post
Has anyone checked out the TRAILER? Pretty decent actually. Audio looks to be pretty good (DTS-HD MA 5.1), & it says "from the people who brought you DEATH RACE" - which is Easy to see: it looks like the EXACT SAME Sets/Prison from the first one! Ving Rhames plays the Warden here.

RENTAL if anything - could be decent enough.
** Boston, MA. - 8 Sports Titles in 11 Years!! (2002-2013) **

** R.I.P. - RICHIE HAYWARD - (2/6/46 - 8/12/10) **
POLK AUDIO: "LIVE IT, BREATHE IT, LOVE IT, BELIEVE IT!" ™
50" Samsung DLP - POLK AUDIO - "7.2" Set-up - Center: CS2 - Front: T90e's
Surrounds: FXi A6's (Side), A3's (Rear) - Subs: 2 PA-120's
Onkyo TX-SR706 - OPPO BDP-83 - DirecTV: "GENIE"/HR-44 HD-DVR - Harmony ONE
BLU-RAYS: 893
Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodude73 View Post
Has anyone checked out the TRAILER? Pretty decent actually. Audio looks to be pretty good (DTS-HD MA 5.1), & it says "from the people who brought you DEATH RACE" - which is Easy to see: it looks like the EXACT SAME Sets/Prison from the first one! Ving Rhames plays the Warden here.

RENTAL if anything - could be decent enough.
I saw the trailer, I liked how we saw Danny Trejo a lot in it. I'm a big fan of his.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob71 View Post
They'll be in it for 5 minutes I'd imagine. Worth maybe a rent if nothing else.
PSN ID: swimfreak1
Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
Special Member

Jan 2008

This movie was pretty good for a straight-to-video flick. If you liked Death race you will probably like this one too. The main lead Luke Goss was a decent replacement for Jason Statham. The only downside is that it doesn't have the high production and the PQ isn't as slick as the last movie. Check it out if you like Death race.

Last edited by Grimshaw23; 01-03-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Who the fu** is Luke Goss?
Link to all my custom covers
Updated: 12/6/2012

Feel free to add / subscribe me:

YouTube: OneUltimateWarrior
Facebook: Slushy The Penguin
Twitter: TheMachoPunk
Old 01-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Bond View Post
Who the fu** is Luke Goss?
He was the villain in Blade 2 and Hellboy 2.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #16

Apr 2009

AMAZING! I was actually about to make a thread for this. For over-the-top action films, I've always totally enjoyed the Death Race series. Nice that it's a remake of the Death Race 2000 (1975) as well. I shall be getting this.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

I want to C it. So, if the price is right; I will get it.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #18

Apr 2009

There's a surprisingly addictive flash game for this movie that I highly recommend fans of the series to play:

http://www.deathrace2.ca/game/
Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #19
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

I JUST finished watching DR2. for a DTV sequel it was VERY well done. If you like the original Death Race (the remake not 2000) with Statham then you'll enjoy this as much. I was surprised that it felt more like a theater released movie than the standard DTV schlock. it came the same feel as the first one with lots of cheesy one liners and explosions.... also Luke Goss was PERFECT for the role (and for those who don't know this is a pre-quel about the invention of Death Race not a sequel)
Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #20
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Death Race 2 Blu-ray Review
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America