Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Downton Abbey: Seasons 1, 2, 3 & 4 (Blu-ray)
$39.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rush (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$13.00
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Blu-ray)
$13.49
The World's End (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Despicable Me 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Fast & Furious 6 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #1

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....
Default The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

Now that this has a release date, I'm hoping for a box-set of all three films....

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest Blu-ray
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest Blu-ray Review

A nice low price would be good too! I have only seen "Dragon Tattoo" but based on that, I'll blind buy the whole set if/when it's released as one. The first was a rental..... I'll hold off for an entire set in the $45 range, and then pounce!
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person

Last edited by Deciazulado; 01-29-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Arroyo Grande, CA PSN------------TheBranFlakes

Yeah im waiting for a box set as well. Loved the first film, will blind buy the next two with a set, which im sure isnt a bad idea.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

$45 for the set would be awfully hard to resist.

Not that I would put up that much of a fight, mind you...
Old 10-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Man in the Box

Jan 2007

This showed up on the just lowered prices at the top of the screen...i have no idea what this film is about, but I'm guessing it's in the criterion vein?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #5

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deads3t View Post
This showed up on the just lowered prices at the top of the screen...i have no idea what this film is about, but I'm guessing it's in the criterion vein?
No..... It's a foreign "thriller" type (I'm guessing) it's the 3rd and final installment based off a series of books....

1st The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
2nd The Girl Who Played With Fire
3rd The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

All based on the same characters, and I believe they all have the same main cast..... it's basically one continuous story from what I understand, but again, I've only seen the first one, and haven't read any of the books, so perhaps someone will know better........ The first movie was EXCELLENT though, and you can stream it via Netflix...... that's what I did, then rented the Blu-ray to watch it again!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

I will get a region a special edition region A box set only if it has a Swedish lossless audio none of that Dolby Digital crap.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:40 AM   #7
Power Member

Jun 2010
MY

Not bothered about a set. Already have the 1st one and the next 2 pre-ordered.

It's a great bunch of movies.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:27 AM   #8

Jan 2008
Silicon Valley

Part 2 and 3 are basically one story, the 3rd starts exactly where the second ends...
1500+ Blu and and the significant other's given up counting :)

Meridian DSP5000, DSP5000C, 2500, DSP3100
Meridian 565/562
Oppo BDP-103
Old 10-12-2010, 04:35 AM   #9
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnulf View Post

I concur. I like the series so far and don't want to wait a year to see the sequels.

This new movie poster is just insane. Never expected it to be so gothic.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 AM   #10

Jul 2010
Poughkeepsie NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnulf View Post

same here the first one is amazing i dont wanna wait so long to see the next two movies
Sony BDP-S570
PS3 Slim 160GB (Upgraded to 500GB)
PS4 (Upgraded to 2TB)
Old 10-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #11

Aug 2009
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
I will get a region a special edition region A box set only if it has a Swedish lossless audio none of that Dolby Digital crap.
That sure would be nice, but do you honestly believe they will release new editions of these films just to improve the audio? I wish they would... but I just don't see it happening.

Don't let Dolby Digital deter you. These are great movies. Especially the first one. Best movie of the year, IMHO.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
Man in the Box

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
No..... It's a foreign "thriller" type (I'm guessing) it's the 3rd and final installment based off a series of books....

1st The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
2nd The Girl Who Played With Fire
3rd The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

All based on the same characters, and I believe they all have the same main cast..... it's basically one continuous story from what I understand, but again, I've only seen the first one, and haven't read any of the books, so perhaps someone will know better........ The first movie was EXCELLENT though, and you can stream it via Netflix...... that's what I did, then rented the Blu-ray to watch it again!
Thanks! I'll add the first one to my netflix stream que.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

The films should definitely be seen in order as they are one continuous story. The films (the first two anyway, haven't seen the 3rd yet) do a remarkable job in leaving out very few plot points from the books, even though the books are over 500 pages each.

Note that a running theme in the films is the exploitation and abuse of women. If that bothers you, I would advise against seeing the films (or reading the books.)

There's going to be a limited theatrical release of the 3rd film (Hornet's Nest) in the U.S. at the end of October.

The films are also going to be remade with an American/English cast supposedly comprising of Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara ("The Social Network") in the title role. I don't know why they're bothering - the Swedish versions were perfectly great and for audiences who don't know the Swedish actors, it makes the films more "real". I don't know if they're going to keep the location of the story in Sweden or Europe or move it to the U.S. If they do move it to the U.S., there's a big plot element,
[Show spoiler]a libel lawsuit that won't make sense because it's almost impossible to sue for libel in the U.S
. In addition, American screenwriters are notorious for wanting to reinvent the source material, whereas the Swedish films follow the novels very closely. But we'll see....the first U.S. film is probably two years away anyway.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #14

Nov 2009
Carlisle, PA USA

David Fincher is directing the US version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. He directed Se7en, Zodiac, Fight Club, Panic Room, The Social Network, Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and a couple other great films. I think he is an amazing director as I have not been disapointed with any of his films.

Looks like a pretty solid cast including Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara, Christopher Plummer, Robin Wright, Joely Richardson, and Stellan Skarsgård. Also Steven Zaillian is doing the screenplay. He also worked on Hannibal, Gangs of New York, American Gangster, Mission Impossible, and Schindler's List.

It is in production and being filmed in Ingarö, Stockholms län, Sweden. It will be released in US theaters 21 December 2011.
"You're a f***ing ugly b***h. I want to stab you to death, and then play around with your blood." ~Patrick Bateman

SONY BRAVIA 55", 240Hz, 3D LED-LCD HDTV ~ OPPO BDP-103 ~ 7.2 ONKYO TX-NR809 Receiver with Klipsch Speakers

Last edited by paper tiger; 10-12-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #15

Jan 2008

They remade "Let The Right One In" also...... If people are willing to pay to see these remakes, they'll keep doing it...... I guess they're just pandering to the lowest common denominator.......
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #16
Man in the Box

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
They remade "Let The Right One In" also...... If people are willing to pay to see these remakes, they'll keep doing it...... I guess they're just pandering to the lowest common denominator.......
I'm not sure if they are pandering to the lowest common denominator or not. Remaking these movies does bring the movie to another audience who may be unaware of the original (unlike us movie buffs). Once they see the US version, they may get curious and research it a bit and view the original / foreign film.

I know I did that with Point of No Return and La Femme Nikita (back in the day).
Old 10-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #17

Nov 2009
Carlisle, PA USA

The first thing I want to do when I hear a remake is being made is to see the original. I think it is a neat idea to remake movies, whether foreign or older films, with new actors to bring the story to a new audiance.

And as others have said, as long as people contiune to go see these remakes, film companies will keep making them.
"You're a f***ing ugly b***h. I want to stab you to death, and then play around with your blood." ~Patrick Bateman

SONY BRAVIA 55", 240Hz, 3D LED-LCD HDTV ~ OPPO BDP-103 ~ 7.2 ONKYO TX-NR809 Receiver with Klipsch Speakers
Old 10-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by paper tiger View Post
David Fincher is directing the US version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. He directed Se7en, Zodiac, Fight Club, Panic Room, The Social Network, Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and a couple other great films. I think he is an amazing director as I have not been disapointed with any of his films.

Looks like a pretty solid cast including Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara, Christopher Plummer, Robin Wright, Joely Richardson, and Stellan Skarsgård. Also Steven Zaillian is doing the screenplay. He also worked on Hannibal, Gangs of New York, American Gangster, Mission Impossible, and Schindler's List.

It is in production and being filmed in Ingarö, Stockholms län, Sweden. It will be released in US theaters 21 December 2011.

Uh what?!

Why mess with what's perfect already?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #19
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

The Stieg Larsson Trilogy

The Stieg Larsson Trilogy Blu-ray

Pro-B

Last edited by Deciazulado; 12-27-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #20

Jan 2008

That's great news! with Amazon's standard 30% off..... the set will be about $55
Quote:
Quote:
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America