Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Spartacus: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$108.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$123.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$14.49
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$75.99
Treme: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Treme: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 10-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #1

Aug 2007
Denver, Co
Default Receiver to Headphone Surround Sound

I have a quick question that you guys can help me with. I am looking to get a pair of 5.1 headphones that I can connect to my receiver (Pioneer vsx-23txh) to watch movies/play games late at night when my girlfriend is sleeping, etc. How would I go about doing this?

I was under the impression that connecting headphones to the 1/4 stereo jack would produce just stereo sound which makes sense to me.

Also headphone recommendations would be awesome.
Display: LG EC9300 55" 1080p OLED
Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH
Front L/R: GoldenEar SuperSat 50's
Center: GoldenEar SuperSat 50c
Surround L/R: GoldenEar SuperSat 3's
Subwoofer: GoldenEar ForceField 4
Source: Playstation 4 | Playstation 3 Slim | Xbox 360 120GB | Nintendo WiiU
PSN - kmank | XBL - km4nk
Old 10-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
PDX

All of the surround headphones I have seen have been simulated surround sound. I don't know of a true discrete 5.1 headphone set on the market.

Having said that, the best reviews I have seen for wireless surround headphones have been for Pioneer. Here is a link to the Pioneer SE-DIR800C, which I have tried before. They work fairly well at simulating surround sound.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...E-DIR800C.Shop

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/p...ml#reviewPage1

They retail for $400, but Amazon has them right now for $238 shipped.

If that price is too high, I would next recommend Sennheiser RS 120s or 130. They sound good, and you can find the 120s around $60 online.
Sony Grand Wega SXRD KDS 50-A2000 1080p
Yamaha HTR-6080 7.1 Ch Natural Sound Receiver
Sony PS3 120 GB (Now 320 GB) / Yamaha DVD-S2500 SACD Player
Monster Reference Power Conditioner 3500 Mk II
Aurasound LSM-828M Standmounters, LSC-537M Centers F & R, LSB-527M SL & SR, all w/Line Source ribbon tweeters / Realistic Super Tweeters
XLO Electric Reference Speaker Cables
Miller & Kriesel MX-125 Mk. II & MX-70B Subwoofers
Old 10-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #3

Jan 2008
Southern California

I have never used multi-channel headphones. I believe there are two kinds. The simpler versions use regular headphones with simulated surround such as the Dolby Headphone or SRS technology. The more expensive and sophisticated ones are usually wireless and connected to the receiver with an optical cable. The headphone is different than a standard two-channel headphone.

http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/faqs.htm#surround
http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.ed.../sshd_tech.htm
http://hometheater.about.com/od/head...adsurround.htm
http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/p...eadphone.shtml
http://www.orionstudios.com/D5/Dolby_Headphones_FAQ.htm
http://www.surround-headphones.com/

Some Multi-channel Surround Headphone Options:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SE-DIR.../dp/B0007XL43M
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Elect...7009217&sr=1-1
http://hometheater.about.com/gi/o.ht...headphone.html

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publ...95&bId=7807159
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 10-15-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:01 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
I have a quick question that you guys can help me with. I am looking to get a pair of 5.1 headphones that I can connect to my receiver (Pioneer vsx-23txh) to watch movies/play games late at night when my girlfriend is sleeping, etc. How would I go about doing this?

I was under the impression that connecting headphones to the 1/4 stereo jack would produce just stereo sound which makes sense to me.

Also headphone recommendations would be awesome.
http://www.ultrasone.com/index_en.ph...14f6f76aa6ee1f

Character
"The exclusive design of the closed-back HFI-780 is accentuated by the polar-silver colour. The HFI-780 contains all Ultrasone technologies such as S-Logic™ Plus, ULE and safer hearing. The HFI-780 is developed from the studio sector and is distinguished by a frequency response specifically tuned for DVD and gaming. Sophisticated home cineasts and music enthusiasts are overwhelmed by the impressing sound that appears as though you are listening to speakers meters away. Gamers are impressed by the exact sound reproduction, making the gaming world come alive. The low frequency ranges are being risen in order to reach the highest possible synergies with DSP-Systems like DOLBY HEADPHONE™ and Yamaha SILENT CINEMA™."

S-Logic™ Natural Surround Sound
"Through S-Logic™ Natural Surround, the sound moves out of your head and into the room around you. Consequently, the music is no longer confined, but breathing once again, spacious and organic. Direction and distance are more easily perceived – it’s like being at a live concert (…or in the studio). No additional equipment is necessary. So with just a pair of Ultrasones and your favorite audio device, prepare yourself for genuine 3-dimensional enjoyment!"
LIVING ROOM: Panasonic TC-P65V10, SONY BDP-S5000ES, SONY STR-DA5300ES, Emotiva XPA-5, Def Tech(BP2006 x 2, C/L/R2300, BP2X x 2, BP1.2X x 2)
BEDROOM: SONY KDL-52XBR5, OPPO BDP-103, Pioneer Elite SC-63, Energy(RC-LCR x 3), Paradigm(ADP-190 x 2), SVS PC12-PLUS

"What is dead may never die..."
Old 10-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #5

Aug 2007
Denver, Co

Thanks for all the info guys. All of these look like fantastic options.

So for headphones that use Dolby Headphone and S-Logic Natural Surround Sound, I would just plug those headphones into my 1/4" jack on the front of my receiver and it would then process the sound within the headphones itself to produce simulated surround sound.

My receiver display would still stay stereo but I would be getting simulated surround?
Old 10-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys. All of these look like fantastic options.

So for headphones that use Dolby Headphone and S-Logic Natural Surround Sound, I would just plug those headphones into my 1/4" jack on the front of my receiver and it would then process the sound within the headphones itself to produce simulated surround sound.

My receiver display would still stay stereo but I would be getting simulated surround?
Have you tried the phones surround mode on your receiver yet?
You probably could use a regular pair of headphones when using that mode.

•PHONES SURR – When listening through headphones, you can still get the effect of overall surround.
LIVING ROOM: Panasonic TC-P65V10, SONY BDP-S5000ES, SONY STR-DA5300ES, Emotiva XPA-5, Def Tech(BP2006 x 2, C/L/R2300, BP2X x 2, BP1.2X x 2)
BEDROOM: SONY KDL-52XBR5, OPPO BDP-103, Pioneer Elite SC-63, Energy(RC-LCR x 3), Paradigm(ADP-190 x 2), SVS PC12-PLUS

Old 10-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPO View Post
Have you tried the phones surround mode on your receiver yet?
You probably could use a regular pair of headphones when using that mode.

•PHONES SURR – When listening through headphones, you can still get the effect of overall surround.
Is this a rare feature? or is it pretty much on all newer AVR's

lol... I'm asking this question without even looking up my own Onkyo or Denon...

*******EDIT********
I just looked thru both and only the Denon has something like this effect and it's called 'Virtual'

Quote:
This mode is or enjoying surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones.

Last edited by HAMP; 10-14-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
Is this a rare feature? or is it pretty much on all newer AVR's

lol... I'm asking this question without even looking up my own Onkyo or Denon...

*******EDIT********
I just looked thru both and only the Denon has something like this effect and it's called 'Virtual'
Nope
Correct

My SONY uses Headphone Theater DCS, a SONY solution.
This mode is selected automatically when you use headphones
when sound field is selected for movie/music. It allows you to
experience a theater-like environment while listening through
a pair of headphones.

My Marantz uses Dolby Headphone, Denon does also on most of their receivers.
The Dolby Headphone technology provides a surround
sound listening experience over headphones.
When listening to multichannel content such as DVD
movies over headphones, the listening experience
is fundamentally different than listening to speakers.
Since the headphone speaker drivers are covering
the pinna of the ear, the listening experience differs
greatly from traditional speaker playback. Dolby
utilizes patented headphone perspective curves to
solve this problem and provides a non-fatiguing,
immersive, home theater listening experience. Dolby
Headphone also delivers exceptional 3D audio from stereo material.

Yamaha uses its own solution: SILENT CINEMA
SILENT CINEMA makes it possible to hear large-scale surround sound through ordinary headphones! This is a variation of CINEMA DSP technology that Yamaha developed to let you listen in private to movies and other multi-channel sources for hours without listening fatigue.

Onkyo uses DTS Surround Sensation on their higher end models.
It down-converts DTS 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 -channel soundtracks to stereo while processing a realistic simulation of surround sound for two-channel equipment such as headphones.

Some of their lower end models don't use anything: "Only the Stereo, Direct, Pure Audio, and Mono listening modes can be used with headphones."

Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

I tried out 'Kung fu Panda' as my demo with trying out the headphones with the virtual setting.

I'm not sure why but, my Denon would not let me select 'Virtual'. I did mess around and played with the trueHD setting vs the Stereo.

The TrueHD did sound fantastic where the Stereo was pretty plan.

Since I am using some Koss DJ headphones that I use to use as computer gaming headphones and I know they are not some surround sound headphones.

I am wondering how will some surround sound headphones work, because once you plug them into the avr, it changes it to 2channel.

On another note and I found to be pretty funny and anyone with headphones should try this out.

While listening to "kung fu Panda" the part where he is escaping, when they shoot that last big arrow and the scene slows down and the bass has a long wave.

Well the part that is so funny to me and if you test it out, the right side of your headphones will be vibrating hard, and it feel kinda funny to feel one side doing while the other is not. You gotta try it, it's great.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
Banned

Mar 2010
Montreal to Victoria, CANADA - All about the Soul in Color & Surround - The Art of Sound Hounds +
Arrow Headphone Surround, from the Headphone jack of your receiver.

If your receiver has Dolby Headphone (the DD Headphone logo was designed by Roger Dressler from Dolby Labs) or similar, then it is not necessary to have a special pair of Surround Headphones;
a pair of regular Stereo Headphone would do.

* I didn't realise that the OP's Pioneer Elite receiver (VSX-23TXH) has already a "Virtual" surround audio mode from his headphone jack! And yes indeed it does, it's called Headphone Surround!

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 10-15-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Title
Old 10-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #11
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
If your receiver has Dolby Headphone (the DD Headphone logo was designed by Roger Dressler from Dolby Labs) or similar, then it is not necessary to have a special pair of Surround Headphones;

* I didn't realise that the OP's Pioneer Elite receiver (VSX-23TXH) has already a "Virtual" surround audio mode from his headphone jack! And yes indeed it does, it's called Headphone Surround!
I could not get the 'Virtual' to work with the media having a TrueHD soundtrack. I was able to get the 'Virtual' working from a DVD. I will say it did sound fantastic with some type of surround. I need to try it with a nice sound track from a good horror movie, with a lot of ambient sound to see that effect.

This is with the Denon 789.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #12

Aug 2007
Denver, Co

Quote:

Does the headphone surround just automatically kick in when you plug in a pair of headphones or do I need to set it somehow?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Does the headphone surround just automatically kick in when you plug in a pair of headphones or do I need to set it somehow?
On my receivers it's automatic, may be different on others.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:43 AM   #14
Banned

Mar 2010
Montreal to Victoria, CANADA - All about the Soul in Color & Surround - The Art of Sound Hounds +

Kman, in your manual for your Pioneer VSX-23TXH, it should be indicated how it works and with which audio mode, under "Headphone Surround" or similar.

EDIT: On page 58 in your manual: "PHONES SURR - When listening through headphones, you can still get the effect of overall surround." ...Read page 58 for your Headphone Surround audio mode options.

At the bottom of that page under NOTE: "If you press ADV SURR when the headphones are connected, the PHONES SURR mode will automatically be selected."

> On page 59, also at the bottom under NOTE: "When headphones are plugged in, the AUTO SURROUND and DIRECT (are*) cannot be selected."

* (are) is a mistake, it shouldn't be there, it's a typo.

>>> This should answer your prior question.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 10-18-2010 at 04:46 AM. Reason: EDIT
Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #15

Aug 2007
Denver, Co

Quote:
Kman, in your manual for your Pioneer VSX-23TXH, it should be indicated how it works and with which audio mode, under "Headphone Surround" or similar.

EDIT: On page 58 in your manual: "PHONES SURR - When listening through headphones, you can still get the effect of overall surround." ...Read page 58 for your Headphone Surround audio mode options.

At the bottom of that page under NOTE: "If you press ADV SURR when the headphones are connected, the PHONES SURR mode will automatically be selected."

> On page 59, also at the bottom under NOTE: "When headphones are plugged in, the AUTO SURROUND and DIRECT (are*) cannot be selected."

* (are) is a mistake, it shouldn't be there, it's a typo.

>>> This should answer your prior question.

Cheers,
Bob

Awesome, thanks for all your help. I will give that a try this evening when I get home from work.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion