COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Cuban Fury (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-15-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
Expert Member

Feb 2008
Default UK Editions of Inception and Metropolis Playable in Region A (US)?

I recently came across intriguing BD packages of two films I very much like: the "briefcase" edition of Inception and a steelbook edition of Metropolis (1927), both of which appear to be pretty well filled with extras and collectibles, available in the United Kingdom.

Inception:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inception-Li.../dp/B0041O4SA4

Metropolis:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

My question is: will both of these titles be fully playable in Region A (in the United States)? And, will there be any PAL-formatted features (unplayable in the US) incorporated into either title? I'm especially concerned about Metropolis. But, I'd like to have info on both before purchasing them.

Last edited by BluPix; 10-15-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010
United Kingdom

I'm not sure about Inception, but for Metropolis Eureka have announced they had to region-lock for Region B, because the US edition of Metroplois is Region A, so really it wasn't their fault because they were pretty much forced to, sorry.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
PA

Inception is WB so it'll be region free
Old 10-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtosayx View Post
Inception is WB so it'll be region free
And I doubt there's much of a chance of it having content in PAL, as it's a newer film with, presumably, newly-produced extras. But that's just my assumption.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPix View Post
And I doubt there's much of a chance of it having content in PAL, as it's a newer film with, presumably, newly-produced extras. But that's just my assumption.
99.9% of all Warner releases worldwide are region free with extras in NTSC 480i/p and/or HD 1080i60/1080p24.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone Trooper View Post
I'm not sure about Inception, but for Metropolis Eureka have announced they had to region-lock for Region B, because the US edition of Metroplois is Region A, so really it wasn't their fault because they were pretty much forced to, sorry.
I guess it's truly time to finally break down and buy a region-free BD player. I' ve had enough of the region issues, already, especially in an online marketplace in which one can order most anything from anyplace in the world.

Thanks, Clone.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

The DVD bonus disc will be PAL on both, though.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicsounds View Post
if it's Region 0 PAL, then quite a few US machines will actually play it.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:08 AM   #9
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
if it's Region 0 PAL, then quite a few US machines will actually play it.
Would my PS3 slim play PAL? And would it display correctly on my Pioneer PDP-5070HD television?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:13 AM   #10
Special Member

Dec 2009
Pacific NW

US is getting the shaft
Old 10-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Saginaw, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPix View Post
Would my PS3 slim play PAL? And would it display correctly on my Pioneer PDP-5070HD television?
I don't believe it does. If you have a 360 it plays PAL.
Main Gear: Samsung PN60E550 - Region Free Sony BDP-S790 - Xbox 360 Slim 250 - Wii - Onkyo 606 - OTA - Windows Media Center - Logitech Harmony One
Basement Gear: Samsung 46" lcd - Sony BDP-S370 - OTA - Logitech Harmony X-Box
Bedroom Gear: Sony KDL-40Z4100 40" - HTPC
Old 10-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Swords View Post
US is getting the shaft
It's too early to tell for sure. WB released the Blade Runner briefcase in the US, so it's possible.

But given they way the US has been treated with exclusives, I'm not optimistic.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:33 AM   #13

Aug 2009
Default region free

I forgot where I read it but I remember seeing that the blu ray disc for the UK briefcase Inception will be region free but the dvd copy will be region B locked, much like the Avatar steelbook release discs.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #14

Jun 2007
Crown Point, Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicsounds View Post
Can you please explain this to me. I ordered 2 copies of Inception briefcase from Amazon.UK. Will everything play here in the states? Thanks so much
Old 11-08-2010, 03:53 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Swords View Post
US is getting the shaft
Yes, yes you are

Don't forget about the Amazon Germany Steelbook Exclusive! http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0042RUQQU

You can easily buy from Amazon UK or Germany or France. Same cart/checkout and even login. Amazon knows all your default stuff too.

The reason we get a breifcase here in Europe is because we need something to carry all the great extra stuff in

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0042RUQQU
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0041O4SA4
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00422KY44/

Lots of space here in Europe so we welcome everyone http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-movies-international/

And we'll let you leave
Old 11-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwtom View Post
Can you please explain this to me. I ordered 2 copies of Inception briefcase from Amazon.UK. Will everything play here in the states? Thanks so much
More than likely you will not be able to play the DVD extras or any DVD that it contained within the package. But you will be able to watch the movie disc fine which is obviously a blu ray..

DVD regions are 1-6 and its rare to find region free DVD's. Regions 2+4 are PAL regions which are not compatible with most USA equipment unless you paid the extra $$$ to ensure you did get something with PAL compatibility on it.

The DVD discs will be region 2 and any player in the US is region 1. So you will likely have region issues unless the discs are in fact region free. Then you have to overcome the PAL problem. A PS3 will not play PAL, but some blu ray players in the US will. Then if you get past that obstacle of region coding and PAL encoding, your TV needs to be able to display PAL as well.

Luckily in the UK every single TV sold these days is worldwide compliant. There are no standards that are not supported.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieb1971 View Post
More than likely you will not be able to play the DVD extras or any DVD that it contained within the package. But you will be able to watch the movie disc fine which is obviously a blu ray..

DVD regions are 1-6 and its rare to find region free DVD's. Regions 2+4 are PAL regions which are not compatible with most USA equipment unless you paid the extra $$$ to ensure you did get something with PAL compatibility on it.

The DVD discs will be region 2 and any player in the US is region 1. So you will likely have region issues unless the discs are in fact region free. Then you have to overcome the PAL problem. A PS3 will not play PAL, but some blu ray players in the US will. Then if you get past that obstacle of region coding and PAL encoding, your TV needs to be able to display PAL as well.

Luckily in the UK every single TV sold these days is worldwide compliant. There are no standards that are not supported.
Region 2 is not a 'PAL Region' -no such thing. Japan is Region 2 and their TV standard is NTSC. Brazil is Region 4 and their TV standard is NTSC. I think that knocks your theory.

If people buy PAL TV discs (mainly Euorpe) then their NTSC TV/DVD player etc may struggle to play them even if they are Region free. However all computers play PAL or any other format video.

Saying that, how many people are buying these great sets for a DVD? Not many, they want the briefcase/Blu-ray and spinning totem thing. If they want a DVD get it at Walmart when it's $3.99 and swap it over.

If people are unsure just ask over at the international forum http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-movies-international/ We're used to internationally things there.

I don't know if internationally is a word but it sounds like it should be
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America