Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Ripper Street: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ocean Giants (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet Earth | Life (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #201
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari Charles View Post
Well, I think if Romero did overly care he wouldn't have endorsed the Dimension 40th Anniversary which is indeed heavily cropped and the same remaster(from what I have been told and seen) used in the Optimum release and the Happinet release, although these are in high def.

I personally think he has moved on and although he'd like the copyright reinstated, this is very doubtful and will probably not happen in his lifetime. If you do a google search on Night of the Living Dead Blu-ray, these forum posts appear on the top of the search results, so not difficult to find. I would really hope that Romero would post on here with his thoughts as they would be very informative and we would see how much he actually cares about a Criterion level Blu-Ray release of NOTLD.

The Millennium release from Elite is the best DVD release IMHO, which may have been endorsed by Romero as well. Without going through some old posts here and there, I can't be 100% certain. When I find the link comparing some of the DVD releases, I'll post it here:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...livingdead.htm
To say that Romero not googling this topic and personally posting at bluray.com is a sign that he doesn't care to produce a quality blu-ray seems absurd to me. That's one odd theory. Because he's not spending his time posting on forums he's "moved on" and doesn't care about the film any more? Really?

Anyway, yes, the Elite laserdisc (and later the two Elite DVD releases) were endorsed by Romero.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #202
Power Member

Sep 2009
Texas

I'm glad some of the post that were deleted have been reinstated in the thread. I hope it prevents anyone else from purchasing the bootleg copy of Night of the Living Dead.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #203

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post
To say that Romero not googling this topic and personally posting at bluray.com is a sign that he doesn't care to produce a quality blu-ray seems absurd to me. That's one odd theory. Because he's not spending his time posting on forums he's "moved on" and doesn't care about the film any more? Really?

Anyway, yes, the Elite laserdisc (and later the two Elite DVD releases) were endorsed by Romero.
It is a theory of course but it is based on Romero endorsing the cropped Dimension DVD release more than anything. I just think it would be very interesting if Romero did post here as he could express himself on the Dimension DVD release, the Elite DVD release, the various Blu-ray releases, and what his plans are for an endorsed US release.

If anyone knows George Romero at at least will see him at some point, even at a convention, mention this thread, and ask him to respond. He lives in Toronto Canada now, but appears at various horror conventions.

Last edited by Atari Charles; 06-22-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #204
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Quote:
Very interesting reading. I didn't realise a slew of posts or perhaps an entire thread was deleted due to a pirate of the seven seas offering a bootleg blu-ray copy of Night of the Living Dead.

I do think if this forum deleted the entire thread which was many pages long over someone selling bootleg copies, was heavy handed. Why not just ban the bootlegger and only remove only his/her posts? Lots of good comments are now gone. Again what was the exact title of the thread lost and how many pages was the thread?

So feel free to comment on what I have said.
I don't know what you're talking about. No thread was deleted and the few posts that were deleted (hint: I can still see them) were basically about the back and forth questioning about the rip-from-the-other-disc file with the person that did it.

And lots of repeat posts periodically posted saying the same thing about the FF release.

Please use the Search function of which the two threads in the BD release forum are yours.

Night of the Living Dead Blu-ray Releases
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Night of the Living Dead
"Night of the Living Dead" Double Dip
which night of the living dead to buy?
Night Of The Living Dead Optimum UK Release REGION B ONLY
Night Of The Living Dead (1968) - October 2, 2010
Night Of The Living Dead (Blu-ray) (1968)
Night Of The Living Dead (Umbrella)
Night of the Living Dead cropping?
Night of the living dead
Night of the Living Dead
Night of the living dead.. please!!
Night Of The Living Dead

etc
Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #205

Feb 2010
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciazulado View Post
I don't know what you're talking about. No thread was deleted and the few posts that were deleted (hint: I can still see them) were basically about the back and forth questioning about the rip-from-the-other-disc file with the person that did it.

And lots of repeat posts periodically posted saying the same thing about the FF release.

Please use the Search function of which the two threads in the BD release forum are yours.

Night of the Living Dead Blu-ray Releases
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Night of the Living Dead
"Night of the Living Dead" Double Dip
which night of the living dead to buy?
Night Of The Living Dead Optimum UK Release REGION B ONLY
Night Of The Living Dead (1968) - October 2, 2010
Night Of The Living Dead (Blu-ray) (1968)
Night Of The Living Dead (Umbrella)
Night of the Living Dead cropping?
Night of the living dead
Night of the Living Dead
Night of the living dead.. please!!
Night Of The Living Dead

etc
Thanks. I wasn't sure what had been deleted and what hadn't been, when I posted this. Thanks for clarifying this.

I have quite a few versions here(not all of them).
Old 06-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #206
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008

New drinking game - every time Atari Charles makes a post reiterating that he thinks the Forgotten Films BD is the best version, take a drink.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #207

Feb 2010
Default Yes, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_reloaded View Post
New drinking game - every time Atari Charles makes a post reiterating that he thinks the Forgotten Films BD is the best version, take a drink.

Yes, but you have to be watching Night of the Living Dead when you take a drink and the drink has to be the same octane of whatever Cooper is throwing out the window at the zombies.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:13 AM   #208
Expert Member

Aug 2010

Quote:
It is a theory of course but it is based on Romero endorsing the cropped Dimension DVD release more than anything. I just think it would be very interesting if Romero did post here as he could express himself on the Dimension DVD release, the Elite DVD release, the various Blu-ray releases, and what his plans are for an endorsed US release.

If anyone knows George Romero at at least will see him at some point, even at a convention, mention this thread, and ask him to respond. He lives in Toronto Canada now, but appears at various horror conventions.
Ahhhhh hahahaha!

That's a funny post.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #209
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

The German Blu-ray set called Halloweenparty XXL Reloaded will contain Night of the Living Dead as well as Dementia 13 which is also called Fright Night in Germany.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #210
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoEastwood View Post
The German Blu-ray set called Halloweenparty XXL Reloaded will contain Night of the Living Dead as well as Dementia 13 which is also called Fright Night in Germany.
Thanks for that info, I hope it is region free, here is a link for those interested.

Halloweenparty XXL Reloaded Blu-ray
Old 06-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #211

Feb 2010
Default Should this be included

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjunkie View Post
Thanks for that info, I hope it is region free, here is a link for those interested.

Halloweenparty XXL Reloaded Blu-ray
Yes, very interesting. Now I do have a Night of the Living Dead release out of Germany released by NSM which starts to play but then stops before it gets to the movie menu.

Night of the Living Dead Blu-ray
I think German releases are broadcast at a different frequency(HZ) and may not play on certain machines(Playstation). So even if this release is region free, it still may not play on some NTSC blu-ray players. Also I wonder if this new release was made using the same print as Optimum used?

A question for everyone out there, should we include combo releases like "Halloween Party" as part of this master list of NOTLD Blu-ray releases?
Or should Combo Blu-ray releases have be exempt?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #212
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Yes, very interesting. Now I do have a Night of the Living Dead release out of Germany released by NSM which starts to play but then stops before it gets to the movie menu.

Night of the Living Dead Blu-ray
I think German releases are broadcast at a different frequency(HZ) and may not play on certain machines(Playstation). So even if this release is region free, it still may not play on some NTSC blu-ray players.
Some international releases use 1080/50i video, which many US players (including PS3) cannot play.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #213

Feb 2010

Yes, here are some links on 50i:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-pla...atibility.html

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014880

From what I understand my NOTLD NSM release is region free but will not play on my PS3 because of this 50i issue. Something to think about when buying Blu-rays out of Europe.

Honestly, I wish region coding was illegal and that we all used a standardized frequency.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #214
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
From what I understand my NOTLD NSM release is region free but will not play on my PS3 because of this 50i issue. Something to think about when buying Blu-rays out of Europe.
I usually wait for reviews or posts from other members when importing from Europe. The only studios that are completely safe are the big ones - WB, Fox, Sony etc.

Quote:
Honestly, I wish region coding was illegal and that we all used a standardized frequency.
That would be nice...
Old 06-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #215

Feb 2010
Default Network release

Not much has been discussed about the UK Region Free "Network" release of Night of the Living Dead, which was taken from a transfer from a new source, and not the Optimum source(yikes!).

As the reviewer writes:

"...Oh dear, where to start?..."

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd...ving-dead.html
Old 06-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #216

Jan 2011

I just wanted to thank Atari Charles and DetroitSportsFan. You both are probably the only reliable sources in regards to this film on HD. I have 4 copies of NOTLD on blu (Optimum, Network, Happinet & Forgotten Films) as well as 6 copies on DVD (Excelsior, Elite Collector's Edition, Elite Millenium, Fox Color, AB's 30th Anniversary & Dimension's 40th Anniversary). I too am hopeful for an uncropped unedited release of this classic.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #217
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Not much has been discussed about the UK Region Free "Network" release of Night of the Living Dead
That's because AFAIK it's the worst BD release of the film. It's really not worth discussing. But at least it's not a bootleg....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
I just wanted to thank Atari Charles and DetroitSportsFan. You both are probably the only reliable sources in regards to this film on HD. I have 4 copies of NOTLD on blu (Optimum, Network, Happinet & Forgotten Films) as well as 6 copies on DVD (Excelsior, Elite Collector's Edition, Elite Millenium, Fox Color, AB's 30th Anniversary & Dimension's 40th Anniversary). I too am hopeful for an uncropped unedited release of this classic.
I'm just a guy with limited knowledge of the film and I own the Happinet release. I'm sure that you're much more of a NOTLD authority than I am.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #218

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
I'm just a guy with limited knowledge of the film and I own the Happinet release. I'm sure that you're much more of a NOTLD authority than I am.
No kidding. Regarless, I haven't seen this film discussed anywhere else to such great lengths.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #219
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
Damn, that's a lot of copies of NOTLD!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #220
Special Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

That begs the question, can anyone ever have too many copies of this classic?

An un-cropped, remastered BD would be fantastic.

I remember Don May Jr. of Synapse (who made the transfer for Dark Sky's excellent 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre') once on AVmaniacs played with the idea of it as a dream project. I believe he wrote that it would take an investment of around $100.000 to go back to the best source materials and restore them digitally in HD. Money he unfortunately did not have.

If I had a 100 grand to spare, he could have them. (I would just blow them all on movie posters anyway)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America