Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
9 hrs ago
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
23 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Beyond (Blu-ray)
$24.99
6 hrs ago
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 10-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Special Member

Sep 2009
United Kingdom Alice (Jan Švankmajer, 1988)

Alice Blu-ray

The BFI's upcoming Dual Format release of Jan Švankmajer's Alice was announced by the film's executive producer Keith Griffiths at last night's London Film Festival screening of Švankmajer's Surviving Life.

At this stage, I can confirm that it will have the original Czech soundtrack, which has never previously been released in Britain (or the US, or indeed most other places) alongside the familiar English dub. The transfer will be sourced from a brand new HD telecine from the original 35mm interpositive, which was examined along with the original camera negative and judged the highest quality element available for transfer. The initial transfer was carried out in Prague under the supervision of both the BFI's James White and Švankmajer's long-term producer Jaromír Kallista, with additional picture grading and picture and sound restoration being carried out in London as we speak. The Czech audio came from the original mag tracks, and the English dub from Channel 4's materials.

It's still in the very early stages of development, so it won't be out until some time next year - and while I've certainly recommended various extras to the production team, I'd better not mention them here as there's no guarantee that they'll be available/affordable. But as soon as I have any more concrete info, I'll let you know.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 05-21-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #2

Mar 2010
Netherlands

Great news! I've been anxiously waiting for the release of Švankmajer's films ever since I got into blu-ray.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #3

Aug 2009

brilliantly. Hopefully FAUST will be released sooner than later as well.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Great news, indeed.

Pro-B
Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

After seeing clips of this on Japanese TV recently, I've been searching for a good version of it, and this announcement makes it worthy.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
Special Member

Sep 2009

The specs are now pretty much locked down, so here you go:

• Brand new HD telecine from the original uncut 35mm interpositive, created by the BFI in Prague last summer under the supervision of Švankmajer's regular producer Jaromír Kallista;
• Original Czech soundtrack with optional English subtitles;
• Alternative English soundtrack (the familiar Channel Four dub);
• Five short films, all with an Alice-inspired theme, namely:
- Alice in Wonderland (1903), the recent BFI restoration of the only surviving print of the first ever screen adaptation;
- Elsie and the Brown Bunny (1921), an eight-minute ad for Cadbury's Chocolate that was heavily inspired by Lewis Carroll;
- Alice in Label Land (1974), a witty government-sponsored animation using Alice in Wonderland characters to explain 1970s food labelling regulations;
- Are We Still Married? (1992) and Can't Go Wrong Without You (1993), the Quay Brothers' strongly Alice-influenced music videos for His Name Is Alive.
(Four of these will also be presented in high-definition; Elsie and the Brown Bunny is SD-only and restricted to the DVD);
• 36-page booklet with two essays on the film (Clare Kitson on the production, Philip Strick on the content), an interview with and biography of Jan Švankmajer, notes on all five extras, technical info and lots of stills (many in colour);
• Region-free.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Banned

Dec 2010
Canada

Superb!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Looking forward to this! I'm a big admirer of Jan Švankmajer's it would be nice to start a modest collection and maybe some Quay Brothers as well.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 04-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Special Member

Sep 2009

There's no more Švankmajer on Blu-ray at present (the reason why there are no Švankmajer shorts as extras on Alice is that no HD masters currently exist), but the Quays' first feature Institute Benjamenta is already out on region-free Blu-ray (also from the BFI) with a selection of their shorts in support - The Comb, Songs for Dead Children, Eurydice - She So Beloved.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
There's no more Švankmajer on Blu-ray at present (the reason why there are no Švankmajer shorts as extras on Alice is that no HD masters currently exist), but the Quays' first feature Institute Benjamenta is already out on region-free Blu-ray (also from the BFI) with a selection of their shorts in support - The Comb, Songs for Dead Children, Eurydice - She So Beloved.
Thanks Alice and Institute Benjamenta are probably top of my list!
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 04-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Peterborough, U.K

really can't wait for this. i've not seen it but i've heard lots of good things. i saw little otik and i thought that was great. i'm also a big alice in wonderland fan.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #12
Special Member

Sep 2010

I would love to see his short films collected again on Blu-Ray, his The Pit and the Pendulum and House of Usher shorts are amazing.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
Special Member

Sep 2009

I fear we're going to have a very long wait for the shorts on Blu-ray, if indeed they ever make it to HD at all. The rights situation is by no means clear-cut with most of the pre-1989 titles, and until that's definitively resolved, I doubt anyone will be commissioning HD telecines.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #14

Sep 2009

Quote:
The specs are now pretty much locked down, so here you go:

• Brand new HD telecine from the original uncut 35mm interpositive, created by the BFI in Prague last summer under the supervision of Švankmajer's regular producer Jaromír Kallista;
• Original Czech soundtrack with optional English subtitles;
• Alternative English soundtrack (the familiar Channel Four dub);
• Five short films, all with an Alice-inspired theme, namely:
- Alice in Wonderland (1903), the recent BFI restoration of the only surviving print of the first ever screen adaptation;
- Elsie and the Brown Bunny (1921), an eight-minute ad for Cadbury's Chocolate that was heavily inspired by Lewis Carroll;
- Alice in Label Land (1974), a witty government-sponsored animation using Alice in Wonderland characters to explain 1970s food labelling regulations;
- Are We Still Married? (1992) and Can't Go Wrong Without You (1993), the Quay Brothers' strongly Alice-influenced music videos for His Name Is Alive.
(Four of these will also be presented in high-definition; Elsie and the Brown Bunny is SD-only and restricted to the DVD);
• 36-page booklet with two essays on the film (Clare Kitson on the production, Philip Strick on the content), an interview with and biography of Jan Švankmajer, notes on all five extras, technical info and lots of stills (many in colour);
• Region-free.
Beautiful ! Can't wait for this one.
BLU-RAY WISHLIST: Run of the Arrow (Fuller), Flowers of Shanghai (Hsiao-Hsien), Junior Bonner (Peckinpah), Tropical Malady (Weerasethakul), Stromboli (Rossellini), New Rose Hotel (Ferrara), Donovan's Reef (Ford), Pola X (Carax), Providence (Resnais), Passion (Godard), Some Came Running (Minnelli), Crash (Cronenberg), La Belle Noiseuse (Rivette), Eros + Massacre (Yoshida), Shin Heike Monogatari (Mizoguchi)
Old 04-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
Special Member

Sep 2010

Quote:
I fear we're going to have a very long wait for the shorts on Blu-ray, if indeed they ever make it to HD at all. The rights situation is by no means clear-cut with most of the pre-1989 titles, and until that's definitively resolved, I doubt anyone will be commissioning HD telecines.
That's too bad, but at least the dvd collection is nice. Svankmajer's shorts are my favorite works of his along with Alice.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #16
Special Member

Apr 2009
Garland, TX

Looks awesome!
TV - Panasonic TC-P50U50 | Blu-ray - Region Free LG BP125 | Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR607 | Fronts - Technics Towers | Center - Infinity PC251 | Surrounds - Technics Minis | Sub - BIC America V1220
Old 05-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #17

Jul 2009

Jesus Christ! I might need to grab a multi-region player. I really, really, really want this film on Blu. Also, how the hell did I not know about Institute Benjamenta? That one being Region Free gives me some hope of it not being Region B. Amazing. Ordering ASAP.

Last edited by AlbinoPriest; 05-04-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #18
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinoPriest View Post
Jesus Christ! I might need to grab a multi-region player. I really, really, really want this film on Blu.
This one has already been confirmed as region-free.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 05-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #19

Jul 2009

Excellent! Ordering ASAP. Damn, I'm so excited, about this one. I'll preorder maybe a week before release, so I can get that one and Institute Benjamenta. It usually takes stuff from the UK around a month to arrive here, though. Gonna be one awful long wait.

Edit. Yeah, just read that on MichaelB's post with all the specs. I don't know how I missed it. I thought I'd read it carefully. Looks like I can't read. Anyway... thanks a lot, McCrutchy!

Last edited by AlbinoPriest; 05-04-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #20
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Peterborough, U.K
Talking

Really can't wait for this. Hopefully I'll have it for next weekend.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland