COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Lost: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.50
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99
War Horse (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Step Up 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.69
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Chef (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #1

Jun 2009
Default A Christmas Carol George C Scott Version Can anyone confirm Region

Is this definitely Region A or is there any chance it's Region Free? Can anyone confirm?
Old 10-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->254

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockds View Post
Is this definitely Region A or is there any chance it's Region Free? Can anyone confirm?
I just checked all of my sites and there's still nothing on it yet. Since Fox has been locking most of their individual catalog releases over the last few months I would think it would be Region A.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2008
Pennsylvania, USA

There is also a Region B release coming down the pipe in the next week or so.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
Trading Moderator

Sep 2008
Оранге Цоунти, Ца

It's region A.

MMMMM!! I love the smell of brand new slipcovers!!!

Trade Forum

Collectibles and Limited Editions
Old 11-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Nuuk, Greenland

That pic cannot be trusted though, plenty examples of "mislabellings".
formerly known as Q!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #6

Jan 2010
Default So that means

that you can play it in the United States??
Old 11-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #7

Oct 2009
Midland, Canada

hm I've never seen this version of the story before. I'll have to try and check it out.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
Special Member

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPDAWG View Post
hm I've never seen this version of the story before. I'll have to try and check it out.
IMO this is far and away the best version of the story. There are certainly other good ones -- the Alistair Sim is excellent and my 2nd favorite -- but Scott makes Scrooge so real. He gets criticized sometimes for not having an English accent, but he really takes Scrooge's old familiar lines and makes them sound as though he's saying them for the first time.

Also, this version stays a little closer to the book by not adding as many original scenes. The Sim version invents a great deal of the "Christmas Past" sequence with many scenes not in the book, as good as they are.

It was a TV movie so it will be 1:33 but the production is excellent. It was filmed in am English village and the period is really convincing.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #9

Aug 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA

This is my favorite version of A Christmas Carol!! I had no idea this was even on the release schedule.
Anyone have any specs on it (e.g. features, audio options, etc.)?
And has anyone seen any / have any reviews on the A/V quality?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #10

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieray1 View Post
It was a TV movie so it will be 1:33 but the production is excellent. It was filmed in am English village and the period is really convincing.
Wrong. It was a theatrical film and played in theaters in the UK and abroad.

For the US release, it premiered on CBS. Consider the following:

1---The CBS version runs 100 mins. The version on video runs 1 minute longer due to a few seconds of additional material where commerical breaks where placed. This means the movie was filmed without commericals in mind. I still have a Beta tape with the last CBS airing on it so can confirm this.

2---The end credits on the CBS version scroll super fast and are over in a few seconds with the music edited to match. The end credits on video run MUCH slower and last several minutes with the end song having at least one more verse and additional music.

3---The end credit crawl on video has the "Dolby Stereo In Selected Theaters" logo. The CBS version does not.

4---Zooming in the 1.33:1 image to 1.78:1 reveals it frames perfectly. No chopped off heads or "tight fitting". The image also looks more natural without the large amount of dead space in the 1.33:1 version.

5---The IMDB lists a threatical aspect ratio of 1.85:1 in the technical specs as well as a TV ratio of 1.33:1.

Still, if it is 1.33:1, I won't complain as it was filmed full frame and nothing will be missing from the image. I just hope it looks and sound great.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
Special Member

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougartiger View Post
Wrong. It was a theatrical film and played in theaters in the UK and abroad.

For the US release, it premiered on CBS.

You have your chronology backwards: It was produced as a TV movie and filmed 1:33, but with an eye towards a foreign theatrical release. (The same thing was done with Steven Spielberg's "Duel" back in the '70's.) When you look it up on IMDB it's listed as "TV 1984" and their description begins: "Made for television version of the Charles Dickens classic . . ."

Quote:
4---Zooming in the 1.33:1 image to 1.78:1 reveals it frames perfectly. No chopped off heads or "tight fitting". The image also looks more natural without the large amount of dead space in the 1.33:1 version.

5---The IMDB lists a threatical aspect ratio of 1.85:1 in the technical specs as well as a TV ratio of 1.33:1. Still, if it is 1.33:1, I won't complain as it was filmed full frame and nothing will be missing from the image. I just hope it looks and sound great.
Yes, the framing looks proper at 1:78 -- they composed the shots that way knowing it would also be released theatrically. I actually prefer the wide format for this film -- but the blu-ray is 1:33 -- read the back of the box.

Quote:
2---The end credits on the CBS version scroll super fast and are over in a few seconds with the music edited to match. The end credits on video run MUCH slower and last several minutes with the end song having at least one more verse and additional music.

3---The end credit crawl on video has the "Dolby Stereo In Selected Theaters" logo. The CBS version does not.
The differences in the credits may just be that they used the theatrical version of the credits for the DVD.

Quote:
1---The CBS version runs 100 mins. The version on video runs 1 minute longer due to a few seconds of additional material where commerical breaks where placed. This means the movie was filmed without commericals in mind. I still have a Beta tape with the last CBS airing on it so can confirm this
I disagree. I don't know why there's a time discrepancy listed, but it's probably an error. For example, check out the sequence where Scrooge awakes on Christmas morning and sobs out his thanks to Jacob Marley. On the DVD it's still the awkward fade to black (which ends a great scene MUCH too abruptly!) for the commercial break. The commercial breaks are quite evident on the DVD.

Either way, it's a GREAT movie and I'm anxious to get it!

Last edited by charlieray1; 11-05-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Chicago, IL

It'll probably be the same as the DVD release, whatever that was. Regardless, this is my favorite version of Christmas Carol, along with the Muppet Christmas Carol.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #13

Aug 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Default PQ/AQ reviews yet??

Anyone seen any reviews on the PQ/AQ on this one yet?
I hope it's a worthwhile upgrade from the DVD, cause that was pretty bad.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul1972 View Post
Anyone seen any reviews on the PQ/AQ on this one yet?
I hope it's a worthwhile upgrade from the DVD, cause that was pretty bad.
Agreed and this wonderful film deserves at least a decent restoration/upgrade!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
IMO this is far and away the best version of the story. There are certainly other good ones -- the Alistair Sim is excellent and my 2nd favorite -- but Scott makes Scrooge so real. He gets criticized sometimes for not having an English accent, but he really takes Scrooge's old familiar lines and makes them sound as though he's saying them for the first time.

Also, this version stays a little closer to the book by not adding as many original scenes. The Sim version invents a great deal of the "Christmas Past" sequence with many scenes not in the book, as good as they are.

I've always been partial to the Reginald Owen version. Not sure why as there are many many things that are not accurate to the original story. Still I just love the performances.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Old 11-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #16
Power Member

Mar 2007

Quote:

Completely agree. My favorite version of the movie. Will be buying for sure. George C Scott was an amazing actor.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #17

Oct 2009

Quote:
I disagree. I don't know why there's a time discrepancy listed, but it's probably an error. For example, check out the sequence where Scrooge awakes on Christmas morning and sobs out his thanks to Jacob Marley. On the DVD it's still the awkward fade to black (which ends a great scene MUCH too abruptly!) for the commercial break. The commercial breaks are quite evident on the DVD.
They are evident on the bluray as well. The running time is 15 seconds longer on the bluray. The scene you mention ablove is identical on both formats. The other 12 seconds seem to be from the credits.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
Special Member

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

Has anyone seen this yet? I'm anxious to see a detailed review of the PQ/AQ. It's one of my all-time favorites!
Old 11-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

In case no one has seen it yet, here is the cover. I think it looks awesome! It sucks that it's in 1.33:1 aspect ratio. I was really hoping that they would convert it to full 16x9 for the blu ray release. I hope the PQ has at least been improved.

Last edited by Steelmaker; 11-10-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #20
Special Member

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

For SOME bizarre reason, the UK version replaces George C. Scott . . . with a candle!

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America