Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$26.49
6 hrs ago
Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Terminator (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 11-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
T.O.
Default Denon AVR-591, ps3, problem

So i have been looking for a new receiver for the past week or so, trying out different ones, and i bought a Denon AVR-591, and im really liking it so far, and i want this to be the receiver i keep, but im having a little issue and i dont know whats to blame here
so wen im using my ps3, i am noticing, static/distortion coming from speakers, even wen im not playing anything and its at the ps3s main screen
now wen i watch my bell sat, or use my stand alobe i dont encounter any problems
ive tried a different input on the receiver, same problem, i have new 1.4 hdmi cables from monoprice
i know the ps3 has been known for having problems with connecting to certain receiivers, like handshake problems n stuff, but i have never heard of this
so im not sure if there is just something wrong with my ps3, or something wrong with the Denon
do i have a setting wrong? or is it jus the way its gona be
i want to get to the route of this problem, cuz i really want to keep this receiver
if my ps3 is the prolblem, then so be it, i have a stand alone, and will use the ps3 only for gaming

sp please help me out, it is baffling my mind

oh and i have energy c series
382 BLUS
TV: Sony KDS 55A2020
Receiver: Yamaha HTR 6063
Speakers: x3 Boston Acoustics CS 26, x2 Energy C-200, x2 PA HDS10 Subs
Sources: Panasonic BDP 65, 120gb PS3 slim, Toshiba 1080p DVD, Bell HD SAT
Protection: Monster HDP 1800

EVIL TROY AND EVIL ABED! CRUEL, CRUEL CRUEL CRUEL!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

I can't really think of anything, but I would like to ask a few questions that might not have anything to do with it.

(1) Which PS3? Slim or Fat
(2) I know you said you switch different inputs on the AVR, but did you use a different cable?
(3) I know this has nothing to do with it, but what volume is the PS3 set at?(normal or turned all the way up)
(4) Have you tried to change the audio output from the PS3?
(5) What audio field is being displayed on the Denon when you get this static?

I don't understand how your getting static at the main screen, there is not audio going on at that time.

Once again, sorry for the dumb questions, but trying to get somewhere with this.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
T.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
I can't really think of anything, but I would like to ask a few questions that might not have anything to do with it.

(1) Which PS3? Slim or Fat
(2) I know you said you switch different inputs on the AVR, but did you use a different cable?
(3) I know this has nothing to do with it, but what volume is the PS3 set at?(normal or turned all the way up)
(4) Have you tried to change the audio output from the PS3?
(5) What audio field is being displayed on the Denon when you get this static?

I don't understand how your getting static at the main screen, there is not audio going on at that time.

Once again, sorry for the dumb questions, but trying to get somewhere with this.
no questions are stupid, anything helps wen trying to figure something out

1) ps3 slim 120, set to bitsteam, tried lpcm, same thing
2) no i have not tried a different cable yet, but i will as soon as i can, never thought of it, cuz they are all brand new
3) the ps3 volume is at normal
4) by audio out put do mean, try digital optical, or lpcm or bitstream, if a different cable for audio then no, i havent
5) i am using what ever the standard feild is, wen im at the main screen its, the screen says multichannel, and wen im playing a bd its what ever the audio format is
not sure what u mean by feild, but i dont put any modes on or anything
382 BLUS

Old 11-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Aldo Raine View Post
no questions are stupid, anything helps wen trying to figure something out

1) ps3 slim 120, set to bitsteam, tried lpcm, same thing
2) no i have not tried a different cable yet, but i will as soon as i can, never thought of it, cuz they are all brand new
3) the ps3 volume is at normal
4) by audio out put do mean, try digital optical, or lpcm or bitstream, if a different cable for audio then no, i havent
5) i am using what ever the standard feild is, wen im at the main screen its, the screen says multichannel, and wen im playing a bd its what ever the audio format is
not sure what u mean by feild, but i dont put any modes on or anything
(4) In the PS3, when you are setting it up for HDMI, There are some boxes that need to be checked or unchecked. That is what I was talking about, but I don't think that mean anything because of your answer to #5

(5) The audio field is pretty much what you answered, MultiCh or whatever the BD is set @, like TrueHD or whatever.

(2) This is the only one that I think you should try, try changing the cable.

I swear I can't think of anything but from your answers that is the only thing I can think of, is try #2

I really hope it's that simple, because I understand you liking that Denon.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
T.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
(4) In the PS3, when you are setting it up for HDMI, There are some boxes that need to be checked or unchecked. That is what I was talking about, but I don't think that mean anything because of your answer to #5

(5) The audio field is pretty much what you answered, MultiCh or whatever the BD is set @, like TrueHD or whatever.

(2) This is the only one that I think you should try, try changing the cable.

I swear I can't think of anything but from your answers that is the only thing I can think of, is try #2

I really hope it's that simple, because I understand you liking that Denon.
so i just tried out a different cable, and its the same thing...

i shouldve mentioned this before, and this points to the ps3 being the problem more, is that wen i was trying out other receivers, the same thing happened, with a yamaha and a pioneer..
382 BLUS

Old 11-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Banned

Mar 2010
Montreal to Victoria, CANADA - All about the Soul in Color & Surround - The Art of Sound Hounds +

Try this:

- Go into your PS3 menu and disable BD Live.
- Disconnet the Ethernet cable.
- Turn your PS3 OFF.
- Unplug your PS3 from the AC wall outlet or from your surge protector.
- Wait few seconds and plug it back in.
- Turn your PS3 ON.
- Put a Blu-ray disc inside and play it.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
T.O.

ive always had bd live off and run wireless
382 BLUS

Old 11-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
Banned

Mar 2010
Montreal to Victoria, CANADA - All about the Soul in Color & Surround - The Art of Sound Hounds +

Quote:
ive always had bd live off and run wireless
In that case, try enabling BD Live and use a wire cable for the Internet.

* I bet your static/distortion issue stems from running wireless.
I might also be wrong, but cost nothing to experiment.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #9

Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(

Quote:
So i have been looking for a new receiver for the past week or so, trying out different ones, and i bought a Denon AVR-591, and im really liking it so far, and i want this to be the receiver i keep, but im having a little issue and i dont know whats to blame here
so wen im using my ps3, i am noticing, static/distortion coming from speakers, even wen im not playing anything and its at the ps3s main screen
now wen i watch my bell sat, or use my stand alobe i dont encounter any problems
ive tried a different input on the receiver, same problem, i have new 1.4 hdmi cables from monoprice
i know the ps3 has been known for having problems with connecting to certain receiivers, like handshake problems n stuff, but i have never heard of this
so im not sure if there is just something wrong with my ps3, or something wrong with the Denon
do i have a setting wrong? or is it jus the way its gona be
i want to get to the route of this problem, cuz i really want to keep this receiver
if my ps3 is the prolblem, then so be it, i have a stand alone, and will use the ps3 only for gaming

sp please help me out, it is baffling my mind

oh and i have energy c series
When you move the cable between the PS3 and the receiver, does the static vary in degree of severity in regards to how loud it sounds or it is the same relative static sound regardless?
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60
Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
T.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
In that case, try enabling BD Live and use a wire cable for the Internet.

* I bet your static/distortion issue stems from running wireless.
I might also be wrong, but cost nothing to experiment.
no difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fors* View Post
When you move the cable between the PS3 and the receiver, does the static vary in degree of severity in regards to how loud it sounds or it is the same relative static sound regardless?
no difference

382 BLUS

Old 11-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
Expert Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

Are all of the devices such as T.V. Ps3 and receiver plugged in to a commonly grounded outlet. in other words are the all powered by the same outlet. if not It might be a grounding issue between the devices. kind of like a ground loop hum somtimes experienced by sub-woofers. I would try using a different power socket if that is the case. all I can think of. best of luck

thanks,
T
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
Old 11-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
Banned

Mar 2010

Alright, try this then:

- Unplug the HDMI cable from your receiver (the one that is coming out of your PS3).
- Now plug that HDMI cable end directly into the HDMI input of your TV.
- Set your PS3's digital HDMI Audio Out to output 2-channel digital audio.
- Put a Blu-ray disc in your PS3 and play it.
- Listen to the sound through your TV's speakers.
- Any static/distortion coming from those?

* If yes, get another PS3 player.
If no, next step (post) will be the one that finally resolve your issue once and for all.

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 11-01-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: *
Old 11-02-2010, 02:33 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
T.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydrugar View Post
Are all of the devices such as T.V. Ps3 and receiver plugged in to a commonly grounded outlet. in other words are the all powered by the same outlet. if not It might be a grounding issue between the devices. kind of like a ground loop hum somtimes experienced by sub-woofers. I would try using a different power socket if that is the case. all I can think of. best of luck

thanks,
T
they are all plugged into a grouded surge protector
Quote:
Alright, try this then:

- Unplug the HDMI cable from your receiver (the one that is coming out of your PS3).
- Now plug that HDMI cable end directly into the HDMI input of your TV.
- Set your PS3's digital HDMI Audio Out to output 2-channel digital audio.
- Put a Blu-ray disc in your PS3 and play it.
- Listen to the sound through your TV's speakers.
- Any static/distortion coming from those?

* If yes, get another PS3 player.
If no, next step (post) will be the one that finally resolve your issue once and for all.
i had my ps3 plugged into my tv before wen i was saving for a new receiver, and there was no static distortion
now wen i turn on the denon and then the ps3, sometimes it dosent even output/read audio, i have go to my ps3 sound settings and redo them for sound to come out

and now i am noticing issues that were happening with my sony receiver, which i thought would change with a good upgrade and all new cables n wires and stand alone player..
pops and crackles coming for the speakers wen playing blu rays, and its just not at random times, if i rewind the movie and play it again it always happens at the same spot, and i have exchanged the blu rays that i noctice it more in(i can notice it at some point in every movie) thinking its a bad disc and it still happens
this happens with the ps3 and stand alone as well..
its weird cuz wen im watching tv, bell sat, its fine, clear, no problems, better audio quality then blus.. which is mind boggling

and also wen im watching blu rays i dont hear volume until i turn it up to a good level, im playing at reference level and i still dont find it loud

i dunno, i think my home theatre is jinxed, i dont know what to do at this point, and i dont know how much money u have to spend to be happy and have everything work fine..
382 BLUS

Last edited by Lt. Aldo Raine; 11-02-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #14
Banned

Mar 2010

Quote:
they are all plugged into a grouded surge protector

i had my ps3 plugged into my tv before wen i was saving for a new receiver, and there was no static distortion
now wen i turn on the denon and then the ps3, sometimes it dosent even output/read audio, i have go to my ps3 sound settings and redo them for sound to come out

and now i am noticing issues that were happening with my sony receiver, which i thought would change with a good upgrade and all new cables n wires and stand alone player..
pops and crackles coming for the speakers wen playing blu rays, and its just not at random times, if i rewind the movie and play it again it always happens at the same spot, and i have exchanged the blu rays that i noctice it more in(i can notice it at some point in every movie) thinking its a bad disc and it still happens
this happens with the ps3 and stand alone as well..
its weird cuz wen im watching tv, bell sat, its fine, clear, no problems, better audio quality then blus.. which is mind boggling

and also wen im watching blu rays i dont hear volume until i turn it up to a good level, im playing at reference level and i still dont find it loud

i dunno, i think my home theatre is jinxed, i dont know what to do at this point, and i dont know how much money u have to spend to be happy and have everything work fine..
Bring back your Denon AVR-591 to where you purchased it, and exchange it for the next model after (691).
Yours is defective.
It has a bad HDMI input, and the problem is in the circuit board.
The store where you bought it will understand that. And if they don't, make them understand.
...And you can even say that your friend, Bob, said so too. ...But only if you have to.

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 11-02-2010 at 06:39 AM. Reason: ...
Old 11-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
T.O.

Quote:
Bring back your Denon AVR-591 to where you purchased it, and exchange it for the next model after (691).
Yours is defective.
It has a bad HDMI input, and the problem is in the circuit board.
The store where you bought it will understand that. And if they don't, make them understand.
...And you can even say that your friend, Bob, said so too. ...But only if you have to.
is it really defective with bad circuit board
or is that just a reason i am giving them
i really cannot afford the next one up, i already spent $140 more on this one because i bought a yamaha and pioneer and had the same problems, with my luck more problems will occur with another receiver
i need one in the same price range in canada
i am returning it tho, too many problems, for too much money
382 BLUS

Old 11-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #16
Banned

Mar 2010

Quote:
is it really defective with bad circuit board
or is that just a reason i am giving them
i really cannot afford the next one up, i already spent $140 more on this one because i bought a yamaha and pioneer and had the same problems, with my luck more problems will occur with another receiver
i need one in the same price range in canada
i am returning it tho, too many problems, for too much money
Ahhhhh you're from Toronto!

Ok then, stick with your 591 for now, as the money ain't falling from the trees yet!

* And if you had the same problems with those other receivers from Yamaha and Pioneer in the past; then the problem is somewhere else.
That is exactly what I'm trying to determine in my weaving ways!
And like you just said: no use to bring it back for another one as you're gong to experience the same goddamn issues all over again with your next one! ...And break your neck again!

Ok, you've got to try all the other possible alternatives in your scheme of various connections. You've got to try ALL your other options; like connecting the power cords of all your components in different places (directly to the AC wall outlets, in your surge protector bar by alternating them, etc.), plus disconnecting your sub and see if it makes any changement for the better. Plus shutting off any halogen lamps or/and the ones with a dimmer, plus and most importantly, plugging your receiver in another place, and not putting it close to your TV (just put it in another spot all together).
Plus also put your Cable Box away from your receiver. Plus no antennas around the back of your receiver. Plus not Internet crap cables anywhere around. Plus changing the orientation of ALL your power cords, interconnect cables (both Audio & Video), and speaker wires (best is to cross them at a 90 degree angle if the power cords have to be near any of your interconnects or speaker wires).

...You'll have to try EVERYTHING! And only by doing so, and diligently; that you are going to find the source of your nasty problem, issue, culprit, devilish annoyance!

Soooooooo, before you start; relax, crack open a can of beer, roll a big fat one, and when you're totally numb, then, ATTACK!

I'll talk you later, tomorrow perhaps, after you got your finger on the shlt at hand!

Good night & good luck,
Bob

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 11-02-2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: stypos
Old 11-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
T.O.

wow looks like i got my work cut out for me
im going to get started soon, make a nice pot of coffee, have a smoke and get to work
thanks for all your help, and to everyone else who replied

i will msg you if i have any problems or questions, or jsut to let you know whats going on

im going to start by dissconecting the sub, then plugging all power cords into the wall, instead of my power bar, see if any difference

thanks again
382 BLUS

Old 11-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #18

Feb 2008
New Jersey

Can you get a regular bluray player and try it with your receiver?.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #19
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by centauro74 View Post
Can you get a regular bluray player and try it with your receiver?.
He said it does not happen when he uses his satellite or stand alone player
Old 11-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
T.O.

this what i have done so far...

other than things i have tried in earlier posts

i have disconected the sub - no difference
i have disconected surround speakers, because the are small crappy sonys - no difference
i have plug equipment into the wall - no difference
i have plugged everything into another standard power bar - no difference
i have only plugged my blu ray player and receiver into the wall, tv off and not plugged in, bell sat not plugged in - no difference
i pulled my stand out and did some wire manegment, i put all thw power cords together, and i have run the speaker wires furthest away from the power cords that i could, tried to keep hdmi cables away from power cords - NO Difference

still having static/distortion wen using ps3, and still having pops and cracks coming from speakers when watching blu rays, using ps3 and stand alone

382 BLUS

Last edited by Lt. Aldo Raine; 11-02-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers