COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Monsieur Verdoux (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Jules and Jim (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Foreign Correspondent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Insomnia (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Earth to Echo (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers (Blu-ray)
$20.69
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
Being John Malkovich (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seattle Seahawks: Road to XLVIII (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Old 11-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Ohio
Default Why No Closed Captioning?

I love Blu-Rays, but I'm a bit hearing impaired and it really irks me that Blu-Ray isn't compatible with regular Closed Captioning. DVD, VHS and even some LaserDisc had CC...why not Blu-Ray?!

To make matters worse, the way the studios do Subtitling is horrendous. I don't want my Subtitles plastered onto my gorgeous movie, why can't it be down in the letterboxed area?
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (06-25-2014)
Old 11-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
North Carolina

Why the closed captioning is not on the black bar on the bottom is , IMO, 1) Not all movies have the black bars so they are probably just trying to make all their movies look the same. 2) Some people who have projection screens adjust their screens so the movie fits precisely on the screen to give it a more of a movie theater feel.
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"And use some of that cologne Gertrude got you for Christmas."
"Oh do I have to Mother, it smells like ether?"

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."
Old 11-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Well I can only throw my .02 cents in on half of the reason. The reason why many studios are putting the subtitles in the picture frame is because there is a lot of folks with high end theaters who use an anamorphic lens in a cinemascope/2.35:1 set up. The projector or the scaler stretches the image vertically and then the lens stretches it horizontally to fill the entire screen. Subtitles in the bottom letter boxed area would be cut off in such a set up.

However, Oppo makes a blu-ray player that will shift the subtitles that are in the black letterboxes area back in to the frame for these folks who use that lens, which leaves me to believe that Blu-ray is capable of moving subtitles depending on how the disc was encoded. You should drop a line or make a plea to Oppo to see if they could enable that feature to work the other way for folks like yourself. Everything I have read says they are a very customer driven company who listens to feedback. Its worth a shot maybe you'd see that in a future firmware update.

Best of luck.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)

Last edited by Flatnate; 11-07-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
2) Some people who have projection screens adjust their screens so the movie fits precisely on the screen to give it a more of a movie theater feel.
I don't know how that factors into it, also is it true that the studios outsource the subtitles?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
North Carolina

Not sure if the studios outsource the subtitles, but even if they did, they own the film and can dictate where they appear.
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"And use some of that cologne Gertrude got you for Christmas."
"Oh do I have to Mother, it smells like ether?"

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."
Old 11-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
I don't know how that factors into it
Well, because for many, black bars are non-existent in their setups, so you can't add content to that which is not displayed.

I'm not implying you are doing this, but I remember a member several years ago who made it his crusade to argue this issue here to the point he was finally banned. You may be able to search for some of the old threads (2007 timeframe) that have a lot if information and reasons why CC is what it is on BDs.

Edit: Found the thread by Caligula - http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-tec...-impaired.html
Genius has its limits, however there is no limit on stupidity.

Panasonic 60GT30 | Pioneer VSX-33 | Panasonic DMP-BD110 | Emotiva XPA-3
APC H15 | XBox 360 | Sony PS3 Slim
Axiom M80's & VP-180 | Carver Cinema 5.1 surrounds | BIC Accoustech H100

My A/V cabinet build / DIY thread

Last edited by My_Two_Cents; 11-08-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

Quote:
I love Blu-Rays, but I'm a bit hearing impaired and it really irks me that Blu-Ray isn't compatible with regular Closed Captioning. DVD, VHS and even some LaserDisc had CC...why not Blu-Ray?!
Standard CC requires an NTSC analog signal to work, because it resides in a very specific scanline zone. HDTV closed captioning is done much differently

The move of the subs into the picture frame was as stated above. You should pick up an Oppo Blu-ray player that has the Sub shift feature if it bothers you that much. There are several companies that transcribe and time closed captioning, and usually those are han
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology