Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Turbo (Blu-ray)
$15.79
Forks Over Knives (Blu-ray)
$13.71
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Birds (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Turbo (Blu-ray)
$13.00

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Old 11-11-2010, 06:14 AM   #1

Aug 2007
Long Island, NY
Default Is DSL fast enough for Netflix and online gaming?

I don't know anyone who has DSL, all my friends have cable internet so I'm hoping that someone who knows from experience can help me out. I currently use cable for my internet but I want to cut my expenses down so I was considering going to DSL. Fios is not available in my area and the fastest DSL that is available is the package that has speeds of 1.5 - 3.0. Does anyone know if I get this if I will lag? I play Call of Duty mostly online and I don't want to lag out.

What about netflix too? Is this fast enough for netflix HD or will I only be able to stream in SD with DSL?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Boston suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijeff1 View Post
I currently use cable for my internet but I want to cut my expenses down so I was considering going to DSL. Fios is not available in my area and the fastest DSL that is available is the package that has speeds of 1.5 - 3.0. Does anyone know if I get this if I will lag? I play Call of Duty mostly online and I don't want to lag out.
I don't have DSL any more, but as I recall, latency (ping time) was anything but favourable on a DSL connection (for me). Theoretically, DSL should work just fine for online gaming (as it's supposed to offer lower packet loss and ping times, when compared against cable), but as with anything, it always comes down to the service provider. Do you know the name of the DSL provider(s)? You can always look them up online to see how they fare against other broadband providers in your area.

Quote:
What about netflix too? Is this fast enough for netflix HD or will I only be able to stream in SD with DSL?
I don't use NetFlix, but I found this info on another forum:
Quote:
1.5 would give you about 2 bars of quality (i.e. not good)
3.0 would give you max quality but only SD content
6.0 would give you HD quality (for those movies/tv shows that are hd). Netflix's HD feeds are 5.0 mbit.
PSN/Battlelog/Xbox Live: ▌۩▐ PrivatePixel
Pioneer Elite || Definitive Technology

"Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones." - Bertrand Russell
Old 11-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #3

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

My netflix works well with DSL, but no HD content, and the quality isn't 'great' but it's close to DVD......

I used to play one of those Call of Duty games, and didn't have any lag issues, but someone stated that a better connection made the game easier..... I don't know though... wish I could tell.
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 11-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Expert Member

Jan 2007
middle of nowere, IL.

When I first got my ps3 and 360 my DSL was 1.5 it was fine occasionally I would end up in a lobby with guys from the west coast (I'm mid-west) and the lag would get unbearable. I mainly play with some local guys I know it usually isn't an issue. My DSL has been upgraded since then to around 5.0-6.5 on average.
Netflix streaming blows on my DSL unless I use my 360 (no HD) and if the movie has fast camera pans the image quality suffers. Below dvd across the board in fact I would say it's below my Sat feed. So I dont stream much actually I've only done it a couple of times.

FWIW I have a gigabit connection between my router and my consoles and I run a D-Link DGL-4500 gaming router. Could just be my isp.
2.35:1 Scope, get the BIG picture
No DTS-HD = No Sale
HT Gear:
Panasonic AE-4000U/120" Carada 2.35:1 Screen
Sony BDP-S550/PS3/360/Wii/Tivo
Denon AVR-4310
Def Tech BP 2004 Fronts/ CLR 2002 CC/ BP2X Rears/Mirage BPS-400 Sub
PSN:victorvondoom88 XBL: VONDOOM88
Old 11-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Special Member

Jun 2010
Florida

I use DSL (again mainly for COD and Netflix) and used to have the 1.5 level which worked good. I recently upped the speed to 5 mps level and it works GREAT....no problems.
Optoma HD 20 Projector
100" Manual Screen
Sony STRDG820 Receiver
Samsung BD-C6500
Polk Audio M20's FR & FL
JBL Speakers C & SURROUNDS

Last Watched: Spiderman 3
Old 11-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #6

Dec 2008
(818)-SFV PSN-JiGGLiN

I recently upgraded my DSL from ATT pro to elite. Only thing I've noticed is that the video quality and startup are better on Netflix than before.

Years ago I had cable through Time Warner. In the evenings the ping would be all over the place to the point that gaming on the pc was nothing but frustrating.

On my street, dsl provides a more stable but slower connection. Too many people on the block tap into the mainline cable in the evening for me to enjoy the faster speeds that cable would provide.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
Power Member

Aug 2008
NH

DSL is capable of very low latencies. Depends on many factors but im usually around 100ms ping in battlefield which is fine for me.

I dont use netflix so i cant comment on that.

3mbps dsl here
Display: 120" Elitescreen + Epson 5030UB
Power: Emotiva UMC-200, XPA-3, 2x UPA-1
Fronts: Polk LSi15s (Upgraded crossovers and woofers)
Rears: Polk LSi7s
Center: Polk LSiC (Upgraded crossover)
Sub: DIY JL 12W7 w/Behringer EPX-2800
Blu-ray: OPPO BDP-103
Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
Old 11-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2008
Kentucky

I need to bring this thread back up.

Thinking of switching to AT&T DSL Fast Access Xtreme 6.0 (6 Mbps Download/512 Kbps Upload). I have Cable Internet, from a local place, and it sucks. Lag is getting worse and worse, getting cheap deaths, etc. The only other place I can switch to in my area is the AT&T DSL service. Does anyone have AT&T DSL? Any information would be great about it.

My Cable speed is 3 Mbps and just the thought of jumping up to 6 Mbps has me excited lol.
Formerly : eagles_fan_05 / skins_fan_05 / vikings_fan_05

8-time NCAA Men's Basketball Champions (Soon to get #9)

My Trade Thread featuring Blu's, slips, games, sport cards and more!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #9

Nov 2010

I am a Tech Support rep for a DSL ISP... let me start with... you will be fine.

DSL is just a bit older and has a bit slower capability (ie: ADSL2+ caps at 12mbps as opposed to cable at like 50 or so before you hit FTTP) so as long as the connection is pulling a good signal and you are not stretching the range on the speed they are offering. more than likely tho you should be just fine, Bandwith is Bandwidth is Bandwidth... just verify with you ISP that your "Signal to Noise Ratio" your "Train(connection) Margins" are all good and you will be set... also do yourself a favor and if you DONT have a modem/router combo unit, ask your ISP for help "Bridging the modem" and then just setup you PPP in the router and so you can easily adjust your NAT or NAPT if need be.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:54 PM   #10

May 2010

DSL is fine for Netflix and gaming. Netflix won't steam HD with it but the quality is almost DVD-level. As for gaming, lag is pretty much inexistent. However, I find downloads on large files to be quite horrendous (i.e. a 1GB download takes roughly 90 minutes to two hours to download, as opposed to the 15 minutes on cable).
Old 11-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #11

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTRIGGER092x View Post
DSL is fine for Netflix and gaming. Netflix won't steam HD with it but the quality is almost DVD-level. As for gaming, lag is pretty much inexistent. However, I find downloads on large files to be quite horrendous (i.e. a 1GB download takes roughly 90 minutes to two hours to download, as opposed to the 15 minutes on cable).

you say that but you dont say what speeds you have with Cable and what speeds do you have with DSL? if you have 6mb Down on both then the download times will be the same, DSL and Cable are the same internet its just different methods of getting it distributed throughout the neighborhood. If anything DSL is better for downloading as 85% of your available bandwidth is alloted to downstream traffic and most DSL ISPs these days use packet bursting which can turn a 6mbps connection into a 30-40mbps... where as Cable would be better for hosting games and files and what not as you get a fairly even Upstream to Downstream bandwidth but then you have to deal with local loads sucking up your available bandwidth.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTRIGGER092x View Post
DSL is fine for Netflix and gaming. Netflix won't steam HD with it but the quality is almost DVD-level.
I have AT&T DSL and I stream HD content off Netflix everyday.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion