Best PS3 Deals

Top PS3 Deals, Cheap PS3 Games!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Duck Dynasty (PS3)
$19.99

Fifa 15 (PS3)
$53.61

Assassin's Creed Rogue (PS3)
$50.18
12 hrs ago
Just Dance 2015 (PS3)
$34.29

NBA 2K13 Dynasty Edition (PS3)
$28.99

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! (PS3)
$52.62

Diablo III (PS3)
$34.73

Need for Speed Rivals Complete Edition (PS3)
$50.61

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS3)
$29.99

One Piece Unlimited World Red (PS3)
$32.26
9 hrs ago
GRID Autosport (PS3)
$19.99

The LEGO Movie Videogame (PS3)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
Special Member

Mar 2007
'Couve, WA
Send a message via AIM to Whytewash Send a message via Yahoo to Whytewash
Default My broken PS3 and my experience with VideoGame911.com

I use blu-ray.com for all of my movie needs. I access the website daily and I have for many years now. Once this unfortunate situation happened with my PS3, I had to tell my story to this community about the service I received from videogame911.com.

I have had my 60gb Playstation 3 for many years. I wasn't one of those that camped out in front of Best Buy a week before they came out but I would still say that I was one of the first people I knew that owned the system. I am in love with it. I used it daily for movies, games, internet, you name it. It has done everything that I ever needed it to do and has never failed me... Until last June.

Last June, while I was in the middle of a game, my system beeped a few times then shut off on me. After multiple tries to turn it back on, I used blu-ray.com and google to find out what the problem might be. I learned that the issue was commonly referred to as the YLOD. I then began to research companies that knew how to fix the system and deal with the issue. I found videogame911.com.

After reading "repair costs as low as $49, I decided to send my system in. $30 in shipping later, it arrived at their warehouse and they diagnosed the problem. They said it was motherboard failure and that it would be $140 to fix. Quite the jump from $49 but then again, its hard to expect all issues are that cheap. I paid them to fix it and two weeks later, it arrived on my doorstep.

I open the packaging and it was wrapped terribly. They used crumbled newspaper and sent it back in the same box I used. Its not that I minded the box but they could have at least used the better packaging that I used. Also, they took my movie out of the system and taped it to the side of my PS3. No jewel case or anything. The disc came back cracked. I asked them about it and they told me it was my responsibility to send a case if I wanted it shipped back in one. Apparently $140 doesnt cover the cost of a jewel case. They also told me that it must have been my fault and they wouldnt pay for my movie.

Soon after, I cut my losses and I made myself feel fortunate that at least I had a refurbished PS3 at half the cost of a new one. Once I put my PS3 back in my entertainment center, I bought a small fan and an air purifier to set by the stand. I did this to eliminate the overheating and the dust problem. I would be damned if this happened again to my system.

Sure enough, two months later, the same YLOD issue happened. I contacted videogame911.com and they told me in order for them to validate that my system is covered under their repair warranty I needed to send it back to them for another diagnosis at my expense. My expense? Common really? Their work broke in 60 days and its up to me to spend more money to get it fixed? I have invested a bunch of money with this company and they will not even send me a prepaid shipping label. Again, my PS3 is my entertainment center so again, I shelled out the $30 shipping to get my system back to the company. (Mind you, I am now $200 deep with videogame911.com. A new PS3 costs $299)

Shortly thereafter, I was notified that it would be covered under warranty and they would repair my system. Two weeks later, it arrived on my doorstep. This time I included a case for my game that was stuck inside. I wasnt about to lose that too.

Five solid weeks later, my system has again bit the dust. Now at this point I am furious. I contacted videogame911.com and they told me that my system was no longer warranted. I asked why and they told me it was because it was out of their 90 day repair warranty. After five weeks, that doesnt make sense. They mentioned that the warranty is only good after the original repair and that the original repair was over 90 days old. In addition, they mentioned that I could send the system back yet again (On my dollar, as they still refuse to send me a prepaid shipping label) and they can offer me a discounted repair service. A discounted repair service? Bullshit...

My system has broken three times in a 13 week span, repaired twice, $200 invested and videogame911.com refuses to offer a warranty service on warranty work, send me a shipping label to at least cover that cost, or show any act of good service... Needless to say, I wont spend any more money on this company. I wrote out this LONG post to outline the horrors that I have gone through in hopes that no one uses this company again. I also hope that no one goes through the unfortunate circumstance that I have to go through now; and that is to be without my entertainment center until somehow I can spend another $300 on a new system.

Videogame911.com, why dont you suck on these little Chinese nuuuts?!
Sony PS3 - 60gb
Samsung TV - 56" DLP 1080p
Blu-rays - 82

Sex between 2 people is a wonderful and beautiful thing; but between 3 is fantastic! - Woody Allen

I will not change my signature until the Seattle Mariners win the World Series
Old 11-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
PA

I'm really sorry to hear about this. You have my sympathies. My 80gig motorstorm 2bundle ps3 is my entertainment hub as well. It has been freezing during games a bit more over the last year which has me worried. It is very well ventilated so it's not that.

anyway this isn't about me. It's always bad when some company screws over people and can continue to be in business. At least you got the word out and hopefully no one on this site will go to them.

I hope you get a new PS3 soon.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #3

Apr 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Yeah...that sucks. My launch unit died maybe four months ago. I found a local guy to fix it for $75. He backs his work for 30 days...so of course my unit died again two days ago. I figured this time I'd just try to fix it myself as I'm not entirely opposed to buying a new PS3 (if there were any way to retrieve my game saves, etc. from the hard drive, I would have just jumped on a new unit right away) should I irreversibly screw up my system. Granted it wasn't the tech's job to clean out my system, he didn't remove five years of dust build-up as a courtesy...once again, understandable. Not understandable, and not acceptable, is how he managed to wedge two pennies under each of the heat sink clamps and strip the hell out of one of the screws holding them on...unless of course this was part of the 'fix'...I dunno. So, my repair bill this time around (so far): $23 for a heat gun, $10 for Arctic Silver, $7 for new heat clamps/screws, $7 for screw extractor bits, and 0 guarantee that my fix will work. Less than $75 and I know I'm going to do the best job I can. I've seen early, unworking fats sell for pretty decent money on ebay, or you could invest in some tools and try it yourself....it has been kind of fun, albeit frustrating at times, to try to fix it myself so far.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Power Member

Nov 2010
Jackson, MS

Man that sucks...so sorry to hear that.

I also have a 60gig launch system (added a 250gig HD) and there are times when i wonder whether its going to last the test of time or crap out on me.

It wouldnt bother be so much by I have ALOT of content on my PS3 (full length movies, 5 seasons of Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, thousands of songs, PSN games etc.) so for my system to crap out would be HORRIBLE.

I keep meaning to by an external HD and back-up everything in case it happens i can just buy a new PS3 and still have my content. hmmm...looks like im in the market for a external hard-drive...better now than never.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
Crawley, UK

That sounds like a seriously shitty experience. I was lucky that a shop near to where my brother lives does PS3 repairs so when mine came down with a bad case of YLoD I could just take it to the shop and get it fixed. Was done the day I took it in and only cost me £40. And still works perfectly well over a year later, though I will admit I bought a slim which gets used pretty much all of the time these days.
PS3 500GB + 320GB + 250GB & PSP - PSN id : aikonent

Latest BD - Star Trek Into Darkness / Latest PS3 Game - Saints Row 4
Old 11-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Over The State Line

I used a company here in PA and had a pretty good experience with them, cost me 130.00...99 to fix it and 30 in expedite shipping...which included them sending me a coffin to ship the PS3 to them to get fix...anyway it was return within 4 days and worked for a few weeks and YLOD camE back...made a phone call into them since I had a warranty on the the first fix, they mailed a coffin back to me to send it back into them at no charge...

I highly recommend them...

http://www.psr1.com/
MOE

Last edited by Moefiz; 11-18-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #7

Jul 2009

my sympathies as well, my 60GB ps3 stopped working and i figured it was the laser based on the video jumping before quitting all together, so i got a laser replacement mod and swapped it out and it still didn't work...i just bit the bullet and got a slim that day cause i, like you, love the ps3 and use it a lot
luckily the fat ps3 still works for everything but reading discs, so i still use it for internet and playing movies from my stand alone hard drive so it saves usage time of my slim
Old 11-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Chicago

this would pretty much be a non-issue, if it wasn't for the fact that Sony locks so many game saves to the specific PS3 unit itself. I would so much rather pop out the old hard drive and have it recognized in the new PS3. That would make these YLOD situations so much easier.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2008
Irving, TX PSNetwork: Xerios
Send a message via AIM to Xerios Send a message via MSN to Xerios

i also frequent here on a daily basis.. that is rough.... thats why if mine breaks (either of my 2) i go buy another one right away.. no bullshit.. then look at sending the broken one in or doing something. i understand most are not that fortunate to drop 300 off the bat...

Sorry to hear this.. sounds like a shady shit hole to begin with

~Chris
Blu's: 276
PS4 Games: 7 (Physical) 7 (Downloadable)
3/14 PS4 Games 100% Complete

http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/Xerios.png
Old 11-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_XRS View Post
this would pretty much be a non-issue, if it wasn't for the fact that Sony locks so many game saves to the specific PS3 unit itself. I would so much rather pop out the old hard drive and have it recognized in the new PS3. That would make these YLOD situations so much easier.
But if saves weren't locked, they could be hacked! Think of the trophies! Quelle horreur!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA PlayStation® 3 ID: SlmShdy1

I've had to repair my PS3 multiple times due to the YLoD. So far, I've invested $40 in a heat gun, $5 in a package of Arctic Silver, and $10 in a security tool set to open the PS3. $55 and I do all the work myself. Fixing the YLoD is guaranteed to not be a permanent fix. It will happen again. That's why Sony and other companies only cover their work for 90 days. They know it's not going to last. To save yourself a lot of money and time without a PS3, buy the parts you need, and follow the instructions on YouTube. It more than pays for itself in the end.
I Do Blu
Old 11-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #12

Jan 2008
*Omaha, NE USA PSN Network: WarjackPrime

I had heard similar stories with the YLOD. I've never had good experiences in repairing electronics so I never will if the items isn't really expensive. To me, $299 for a new PS3 vs $150 repair cost is a no brainer (new PS3). Before the price reduction that repair made more sense but after the slim was released you could spend another $150 and get a smaller, cooler, quieter system with double the HD size. That's a good bargain when faced with an old system with a $150 repair bill.

Last edited by Warjack Prime; 11-18-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #13

Apr 2010

I know it sounds like a broken record, but am a supporter of replacing with a new system. You can either keep your current system as a momento, or sell it on ebay as is, or after you fix it yourself with a disclaimer.

I bought another one myself as I know my 60gb is going to die sooner or later. Sorry to hear about your troubles, and good luck.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:11 AM   #14
Special Member

Feb 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland

My PS3 died today. Gutted.

Plus I am unemployed and have been for nearly 2 years so buying a new one at £270 is out of the question.
PlayStation ID: gator_macready

"No! No, no, no, no, no...well yes."

-Homer Simpson
Old 11-19-2010, 06:30 AM   #15

Sep 2008
-

Did you check to see if that place has a web site. Maybe they'll have a customer review section. Where you can copy and past your post. Personally, I know I'll never use a company that had that review posted! Good luck.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #16
Special Member

Mar 2007
'Couve, WA
Send a message via AIM to Whytewash Send a message via Yahoo to Whytewash

I do appreciate the sympathies. It is hard when your PS3 goes down. I am interested in buying a new one and hope that it happens sooner rather than later. The smart thing to do would have been to buy a new one in the first place instead of going through all of this hassle.

The biggest concern is the lack of memory and saved games that I can take with me. Starting over can always suck.
Sony PS3 - 60gb
Samsung TV - 56" DLP 1080p
Blu-rays - 82

Sex between 2 people is a wonderful and beautiful thing; but between 3 is fantastic! - Woody Allen

I will not change my signature until the Seattle Mariners win the World Series
Old 11-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewash View Post
The biggest concern is the lack of memory and saved games that I can take with me. Starting over can always suck.
Yeah, it does. After my 60GB PS3 got the YLOD, I went out and bought a slim. Since I lost the backwards compatibility with PS2 games, I had to hook up my old PS2 again, and I also lost all my saved games and updates. Now, it seems like every time I put in a game that hasn't been played on the new slim, I have to first download an update. On the plus side, I was able to re-download all the content I had downloaded from the PSN to the new system without any trouble (it will list all your previous purchases and let you download them again), and the HD is bigger in the slim (I was always on the verge of running out of space with the 60GB). I suppose it's also smaller, quieter and more energy efficient.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #18

Nov 2010

I had 3 60gb PS3's from Sony, they even admitted to me when returning them that they were unreliable and offered to upgrade me to a brand new 80gb model, only downside - I lost the PS2 backward compatibility.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2006

sorry to hear about that man, but in all honesty, I don't mess with warranties... I buy new systems
Madden 2011: GoMikeVickGo, 75-36, 2% DNF, Avg Opponent Lvl = 5
Madden Leagues: Patriots (8-0), Eagles (12-0), Lions Fantasy (6-2)
Old 11-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #20
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Isla Nublar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvis View Post
But if saves weren't locked, they could be hacked! Think of the trophies! Quelle horreur!
It has nothing to do with trophies, and everything to do with pirating PSN games. If you can throw any HDD into a PS3 without reformatting it, you'd see people on eBay selling hard-drives loaded up with tons of PSN games.
I don't make monkeys, I just train 'em.
If you're interested, there might be a Donkey Kong kill screen in a couple minutes.
"I have priorities other than blurays." -- some guy that bought movies at Target at 8am, on release day

Don't even think about quoting me
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3