Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 12-14-2010, 05:33 AM   #21

Jun 2010
Hattiesburg, MS

Someone with Despicable Me 3D (Non-BB 'Exclusive') and an Android/iPhone download the 'Movie Mode' app and see if the non-BB exclusive discs will work just fine with the Movie Mode app, then let us folks know.

I can't imagine that it will ONLY work with the BB exclusive version seeing as how (it appears) that it just interprets the sound through your phone mic to create the translation (via 'Movie Mode' app).
Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #22

Apr 2008

yeah seems like a very weird implementation...don't see why it wouldn't work with the regular bd (or dvd or itunes or ANY copy) unless there's something at a weird frequency being sent
Old 12-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #23

Oct 2009
teh desert

Has anyone watched this yet? How is the 3D on it? I went to Walmarts tonight but mine didn't get the 3D version. Is the movie any good? I know one person said as good as toy story 3 but I have serious doubts about that. It looked terrible in all the previews imo.
Samsung UN55C8000 3D led
Pioneer elite pro 710
Samsung 40" lcd
Deff tech 5.1 system
Xbox 360 120gig
PS3 160gig
Toshiba HD-A3 and 100 hddvds
Old 12-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #24

Nov 2009
FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascendedcobra View Post
Has anyone watched this yet? How is the 3D on it? I went to Walmarts tonight but mine didn't get the 3D version. Is the movie any good? I know one person said as good as toy story 3 but I have serious doubts about that. It looked terrible in all the previews imo.
I picked up this movie yesterday at Best Buy, and I can tell you that the 3d looks phenomenal. As for the movie itself, I really enjoy it. No, it's not as great as Toy Story 3, but it's a fun film. However, if you think that the movie looks bad from the trailers do not buy the movie. The movie doesn't get deep or grip your heart like Toy Story 3 did. It's just a goofball of a movie with a little heart thrown in the mix.

Last edited by BlackBeltNinja; 12-15-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #25

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeltNinja View Post
I picked up this movie yesterday at Best Buy, and I can tell you that the 3d looks phenomenal. As for the movie itself, I really enjoy it. No, it's not as great as Toy Story 3, but it's a fun film. However, if you think that the movie looks bad from the trailers do not buy the movie. The movie doesn't get deep or grip your heart like Toy Story 3 did. It's just a goofball of a movie with a little heart thrown in the mix.
I was the one that mentioned it was better than Toy Story but I clearly stated that this was the 3D effect only not the movie. I loved the movie and its really " Cute Funny ", I picked it up yesterday but I havent watched it because its a x-mas present for my son along with the 9 " plush that I got at Bestbuy. I have a feeling Im just going to squeeze the 3D Disc out and just wrap it anyway. I havent seen it yet but if the 3D is as good as it was in the movies, it will be the new reference in terms of the " Pop Out effects " everybody is looking for.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #26
Expert Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Has anyone watched this yet? How is the 3D on it?...
The 3-D quality is absolutely astonishing. This is probably my new 3-D reference disc.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #27
Special Member

Oct 2008
United Kingdom

Review is up, Sounds excellent.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Despic.../16207/#Review
Old 12-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #28
Expert Member

Jan 2008

I only wish that reviewers would stop commenting on 3-D ghosting as if it were a property of the disc and not the display on which they are viewing!

Despicable Me has zero ghosting when viewed on a DLP.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #29

Oct 2009
teh desert

Ok this sounds good. Not one person has a bad thing to say about it. Im going to pick this up today.
Samsung UN55C8000 3D led
Pioneer elite pro 710
Samsung 40" lcd
Deff tech 5.1 system
Xbox 360 120gig
PS3 160gig
Old 12-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #30

Oct 2009
teh desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post
I only wish that reviewers would stop commenting on 3-D ghosting as if it were a property of the disc and not the display on which they are viewing!

Still though the ghosting varies from movie to movie so at least part of it has to be the movie itself. If its just the display all would have the same amount of ghosting on that display. This is not the case though as clearly Open season has almost zero ghosting while Monsters vs Aliens has moderate ghosting. Also certain scenes eg. the church scene in Monsters vs Aliens have the same ghosting on all different displays.
Are you telling me My bloody valentine is same quality as Avatar?
I also checked out the Mits 75" laserview in 3D and raved about it on here, but cant say it was completely ghost free. In one scene of Christmas carol I spotted ghosting when scrooge was falling.
Samsung UN55C8000 3D led
Pioneer elite pro 710
Samsung 40" lcd
Deff tech 5.1 system
Xbox 360 120gig
PS3 160gig
Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #31
Expert Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Still though the ghosting varies from movie to movie so at least part of it has to be the movie itself. If its just the display all would have the same amount of ghosting on that display. This is not the case though as clearly Open season has almost zero ghosting while Monsters vs Aliens has moderate ghosting. Also certain scenes eg. the church scene in Monsters vs Aliens have the same ghosting on all different displays.
Are you telling me My bloody valentine is same quality as Avatar?
I also checked out the Mits 75" laserview in 3D and raved about it on here, but cant say it was completely ghost free. In one scene of Christmas carol I spotted ghosting when scrooge was falling.
I strongly disagree. The perception of ghosting appears to vary on a particular display because different content reveals the limitations of the 3-D technology on that given display. Ghosting is most evident in areas of high contrast (bright areas against dark) accompanied by wide parallax (distance between the different views of the same object).

You mention Monsters vs. Aliens and the church steeple scene. I see near zero ghosting on that scene on my DLP display. I can post snapshots if you'd like. Pick a timecode where you see ghosting on that title, and I will take snapshots through the individual left and right shutterglass lenses.

You also mentioned seeing ghosting on a Laserview. Do you know what Picture Mode it was set at? If it was set to brilliant (the default "torch" mode), then I'm not surprised, becuase it upps the contrast to unnatural levels. In normal mode you should not be seeing any ghosting.

I'll say it again: Ghosting is a attribute of the display (and to a lesser extent the glasses), and not the content.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #32
Expert Member

Jan 2008

Attached are the separate left and right views of the church steeple in Monsters vs. Aliens. The pic was taken with my Panasonic 3-D Blu-ray player set in side-by-side mode. What we see are the discrete left and right decoded images (albeit in side-by-side mode as opposed to frame-packed or checkerboard). If any ghosting were baked into the encode, it should be evident in the discrete views. I'm not seeing any.

In 3-D mode, through shutterglasses, I see no ghosting on this scene. I tried to snap some photos through the shutterglass lenses to illustrate my point, but they were a murky mess. (I'm no photographer. )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvaSbS.jpg (72.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 12-16-2010, 12:02 AM   #33
Expert Member

Jan 2008

Okay...I finally figured out my wife's camera and what I was doing wrong...

So attached are 3 pics from the same Monsters vs. Aliens church scene. The first is without glasses, the second is through the left lens, and the third through the right lens.

Sorry for hijacking the Despicable Me thread...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mva3D.jpg (81.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg mvaL.jpg (85.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg mvaR.jpg (81.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 12-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #34

Dec 2010
Missouri, USA

Quote:

I'm a bit new so feel free to correct or educate me. My experience was different. I too have a DLP but I did experience what I would describe as ghosting. It varied from scene to scene. Some sequences were perfect with no issues, however other scenes were difficult to watch. Many of the ghost issues revolved around scenes with bright red objects. The "V" on vectors door was hard to look at as well. Even the first scene with the pyramids exhibited a double edge. Just weird because some scenes are great and others were so noticeable.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #35
Expert Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by afgoalie View Post
I'm a bit new so feel free to correct or educate me. My experience was different. I too have a DLP but I did experience what I would describe as ghosting. It varied from scene to scene. Some sequences were perfect with no issues, however other scenes were difficult to watch. Many of the ghost issues revolved around scenes with bright red objects. The "V" on vectors door was hard to look at as well. Even the first scene with the pyramids exhibited a double edge. Just weird because some scenes are great and others were so noticeable.
Ghosting in the unintended leakage of information from one view in a stereoscopic image into the other. If you pause a scene where you think you are seeing ghosting, shut one eye, and still see faint outlines of objects from the opposite eye...that's ghosting.

Sometimes people confuse natural optical phenomena for ghosting. For example, if you hold a finger up in front of your face and then focus your eyes on a distant object, there will appear to be two fingers within your field of view. This is not ghosting. It is simply the fact that your eyes cannot converge on near and far objects simultaneously. The same phenomenon can be observed in stereoscopic images. (I'm not saying you in particular are making this mistake, but there are some who do.)

If you are experiencing true ghosting on your DLP, there a few things you can check:
  • Make sure your display is not in torch mode.
  • Make sure your shutterglasses are charged or have fresh batteries.
  • Make sure your shutterglasses lenses are oriented parallel to the display. If they are tilted forward or backward they can ghost.

Hope some of this helps!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
Deatsville, Al

Quote:
Attached are the separate left and right views of the church steeple in Monsters vs. Aliens. The pic was taken with my Panasonic 3-D Blu-ray player set in side-by-side mode. What we see are the discrete left and right decoded images (albeit in side-by-side mode as opposed to frame-packed or checkerboard). If any ghosting were baked into the encode, it should be evident in the discrete views. I'm not seeing any.

In 3-D mode, through shutterglasses, I see no ghosting on this scene. I tried to snap some photos through the shutterglass lenses to illustrate my point, but they were a murky mess. (I'm no photographer. )

I don't see any ghosting either. I usually keep my display on bright instead of brilliant. You're right about it being too bright. This is barely any brightness loss with the Mits glasses. I lifted them while I was watching and there was virtually no difference in brightness.
I don't understand why people seem to not believe those of us that own Mitsubishi's, that we are not seeing ghosting.
There is no ghosting on the scenes people are talking about. Sorry to say this but maybe it's because the tech is better on the Mitsubishi's.
Christmas Carol looked fantastic.
Imax's looked fantastic.
Open season looked fantastic.
So far evry insatnce of ghosting that people have mentioned, I checked, provided I had the 3D blu ray, and there was never any ghosting.
That tells me that it can't possibly be the 3D Blu ray, It has to be the TV, the settings people have it on, or both.
Home Theater...
Mits WD-65638 65" 1080p DLP 3D HDTV w/3D Starter Kit, DirectTV HD 5 tuner DVR w/ 1TB HD, Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1 3D Rcvr, Sony BDP-S470 3D BR player, PS3 slim 160g, Xbox360 Elite w/Kinect, Wii, Surround: Polk Mon 50's, 30's, Center & Sub, Harmony One, Apple MacMini HTPC,
My Star Wars Room"The Outer Rim" http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...&folderid=2438
Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #37

Jan 2008
NC

Quote:

Ditto. No ghosting on my DLP either. This movie rocks!
A/V Equipment
Toshiba A-35 HD-DVD Dvd Player
Mitsubishi 82" DLP 3D Television, XBOX360, Onkyo TX-SR608 7.2 Receiver Panasonic DMP-BDT320 3D BR
XBOX 360 For Games
SDVD 1578BR 1036, BR3D 91
65 HD DVD
Old 12-16-2010, 12:43 AM   #38
Expert Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by afgoalie View Post
...The "V" on vectors door was hard to look at as well...
Vector's door, without glasses, though the left lens, and through the right...

Are you seeing something terribly different than this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dm3D.jpg (96.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg dmL.jpg (89.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg dmR.jpg (88.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #39

Jan 2008
NC

Quote:
Vector's door, without glasses, though the left lens, and through the right...

Are you seeing something terribly different than this?
I'm on your side. I have a DLP and have only experienced ghosting on one movie of my 19 Blu ray 3D discs, IMAX: Space Station. But in my opinion, your pictures do not prove our points. I believe the ghost effect will only be proved or disproved while being able to see both eyes at the same time.
A/V Equipment
Toshiba A-35 HD-DVD Dvd Player
Mitsubishi 82" DLP 3D Television, XBOX360, Onkyo TX-SR608 7.2 Receiver Panasonic DMP-BDT320 3D BR
XBOX 360 For Games
SDVD 1578BR 1036, BR3D 91
65 HD DVD
Old 12-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #40
Expert Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat2 View Post
I'm on your side. I have a DLP and have only experienced ghosting on one movie of my 19 Blu ray 3D discs, IMAX: Space Station. But in my opinion, your pictures do not prove our points. I believe the ghost effect will only be proved or disproved while being able to see both eyes at the same time.
I appreciate the support, but respectfully disagree. Since ghosting is the leakage of image information from one view into the other, then the only way to prove it is not present is to be able to isolate the discrete left and right images for inspection.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Tags
blu-ray 3d, despicable me, despicable me 3d blu-ray, despicable me blu-ray 3d