Best PS3 Deals

Top PS3 Deals, Cheap PS3 Games!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Just Dance 4 (PS3)
$18.99
Destiny (PS3)
$49.99
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)
$14.99
Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS3)
$29.99
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS3)
$19.99
The LEGO Movie Videogame (PS3)
$19.99
Need for Speed Rivals (PS3)
$18.99
Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord (PS3)
$35.99
WWE 2K15 (PS3)
$59.85
FIFA 14 (PS3)
$25.49
Lego Marvel Super Heroes (PS3)
$14.99
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! (PS3)
$59.42
Murdered: Soul Suspect (PS3)
$24.99
Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3)
$39.99
The Last of Us (PS3)
$27.49
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Collection (PS3)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 12-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
Expert Member

Oct 2007
Default Does Netflix dramatically increase your internet usage?

Hi guys, I just got netflix last week on Monday, (so a week and a half ago)and I got a notice on my computer saying that Im way over my 60 gb usage. I already owe an extra 20 bucks on my internet bill in just a week and a half. Is this because of netflix. Any help would be great. Thanks

I have pretty much watched a movie a day since I got it.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2008
The Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing.sound View Post
Hi guys, I just got netflix last week on Monday, (so a week and a half ago)and I got a notice on my computer saying that Im way over my 60 gb usage. I already owe an extra 20 bucks on my internet bill in just a week and a half. Is this because of netflix. Any help would be great. Thanks

Could be, but i'm no tech geek. I heard on NPR that some internet company was gonna have to increase rates to it's customers based solely on the fact that they had to increase their bandwidth because of people watching netflix streaming every night.
My Rock and/or Roll band: http://ghostmanonfirst.bandcamp.com/
Old 12-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

You're esssentially downloading a movie. Granted, Netflix tends to compress their stuff to within a pixel of its life but that's still a lot of data.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
Power Member

Apr 2009
California

Quote:

Damn, dude...only 60GB of usage? I download 5x that in a week, haha!
Old 12-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Expert Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywhitenoise View Post
yeah and the crazy part is that I wasn't even at half of that until I got netflix. Than apparently I used 40 gigs in a week and a half.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Club Loop

shows how much i know, i didn't even know there were internet plans that gave you a limit on internet usage!
Seattle Seahawks XLVIII Champions

2014: 3-3
Old 12-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

Yeah, I'm on Comcast and they started doing that. Luckily both my 360 and Netflix haven't made a dent in what I use. It will be interesting to see what happens now that I have a blu-ray though.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #8

Jun 2009

Netflix uses some crappy compression method. Even HD content can't be more than 3-4Gb per movie. I'd make sure your network is secure and dig around for how much bandwidth that xbox uses. Comcast is the devil. Hopefully the FCC will put a dent in their monopoly schemes.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
Power Member

Apr 2009
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam1bearcat View Post
shows how much i know, i didn't even know there were internet plans that gave you a limit on internet usage!
Comcast does...that's a big reason everybody hates them. I use Surewest, 30Mbps upload/download, and $20 a month cheaper than Comcast's similar plan.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010

It honestly sounds like something isn't secure and someone is piggy backing off your signal. I've got my stuff locked down. My neighbors on the other hand don't. Every time I've set up something their networks pop up. I've tried talking to them about it, but it falls on deaf ears. I guess Comcast isn't as bad in my neck of the woods. That or I just don't pay attention. Not too many alternatives unless I want to go satellite though.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Netflix HD requires a continuous 5mbps inbound connection. My cable connection typically tests between 15 and 20 mbps, with occasional speeds up to 30mbps. But, I've had problems recently. Technicians came to my home twice as I have had some serious speed issues - connection falling to less than 4mbps (even testing directly from modem wired to computer). Using Netflix HD brought the problem to my attention when I started getting repeated buffering.

They gave me a new cable modem (replaced a three year old one) and everything seems to be fine again. They may have made some managerial tweaks on the node that I am on as well. Of course, my wireless network is secured. I stream Netflix HD via wireless N to my bedroom system without a problem at all.

And yes, there's no doubt that my usage has gone up significantly since joining Netflix. Their current standard for HD is 720p and lossy 2 channel audio. I often chuckle at the idea that someone at my ISP is saying "Mr. Rob J's account is showing some serious increases in bandwidth."

I have enacted my router's usage meter and intend to check it after one month. It should be pretty interesting...

Make no mistake, though. For those curious about it, Netflix HD does require a minimum of 5mbps. Anything less will incite buffering or will fall back to SD video - a noticeable decrease in video quality. If your service is "right on the line" testing at 5mbps, then you may find Netflix HD streaming frustrating.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:23 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010

Thanks for your post Rob. Looks like I'll be calling tomorrow and seeing if I can get someone out here to check out what I have. I just bought my tv and blu-ray last week. Sounds like we have had similar issues and I'm hoping it is just a modem switch out.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:42 AM   #13
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob J in WNY View Post
Make no mistake, though. For those curious about it, Netflix HD does require a minimum of 5mbps. Anything less will incite buffering or will fall back to SD video - a noticeable decrease in video quality.
3.0, actually, to get the minimum required level of MediumHD.
Still, that's a lot of MB to be flowing in and out for a two hour movie.

If you're only watching the SD fare on a 1.5 connection, the usage is going to be less--
My (ahem) normal insanely-overpriced Comcast account puts the surcharge meter at 250GB a month--or about 9GB a day--and I worry about that.
(But haven't seem to have gone over the limit yet.)
Old 12-03-2010, 03:09 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2008
Irving, TX PSNetwork: Xerios
Send a message via AIM to Xerios Send a message via MSN to Xerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywhitenoise View Post
i do about a TB a month

luckily Cablevision doesnt Packetshape / regulate my usage... or id have been in jail many years ago lol

why are you charged per usage OP? is it cheaper considerably?
Blu's: 276
PS4 Games: 7 (Physical) 7 (Downloadable)
3/14 PS4 Games 100% Complete

http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/Xerios.png
Old 12-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
It honestly sounds like something isn't secure and someone is piggy backing off your signal.
Not really. If the OP streamed a movie a day for 10 straight days at ~4GB per movie, that's 40GB, which is exactly the additional amount he posted for a week and half's worth of usage. No one else is using his bandwidth. Video streaming is just much more bandwidth-intensive than the average internet surfing that most people do.
rotation report (my media consumption)
splatter of light (my creative output)
Old 12-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #16
Expert Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerios View Post
i do about a TB a month

luckily Cablevision doesnt Packetshape / regulate my usage... or id have been in jail many years ago lol

well im with Rogers in Canada, and I am allowed 60 gb a month, anything over I have to pay $2 a gig. The Highest I got in previous months was 17 GB. Than in November after just joining Netflix I was up to 70 GB. lol

I got my network secured with a password last night. And now my internet is almost twice as fast. This gives me the impression that someone else was using my connection. However I'm pretty sure it was Netflix that drove up my usage.

Something that was weird I noticed is when I checked online about my usage. It says that I have mega bytes used up in uploading. I found this odd since I never upload anything at all. Does anyone know what that could be about?
Old 12-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerios View Post
i do about a TB a month

Because he probably lives in Canada.

I have 100 gigs / month and I pay 79.99$ for a 30mbps connection.
Breaking Bad complete series Ultraviolet code 30$ PM ME!
MAIN
Samsung 52" 60 hz
Denon AVR 890
Polk 5.1 RM85
PS3 320GB Move bundle
OPPO-80 Region Free
Harmony One Remote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
well im with Rogers in Canada, and I am allowed 60 gb a month, anything over I have to pay $2 a gig. The Highest I got in previous months was 17 GB. Than in November after just joining Netflix I was up to 70 GB. lol

I got my network secured with a password last night. And now my internet is almost twice as fast. This gives me the impression that someone else was using my connection. However I'm pretty sure it was Netflix that drove up my usage.

Something that was weird I noticed is when I checked online about my usage. It says that I have mega bytes used up in uploading. I found this odd since I never upload anything at all. Does anyone know what that could be about?
I'm with Rogers as well, 60gigs a month is nothing and that is why I have not signed up for Netflix. It will only be a matter of time before Netflix Canada says something though as I am sure the ridiculously low bandwidth caps here in Ontario are hurting their sales.

I must have read something that was wrong though as I read that a HD streaming movie is about 7-8 gigs.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #19

Nov 2010
MA

I have Verizon FIOS with 25 Down/ 25 Upload and I do not know of any bandwidth caps. I have Netflix too and I pretty much use it everynight, not sure how much bandwidth I'm using tho. Anybody kno any software that I can use to track it?
PSN: aznkidlee
System: PS3 80 GB (Upgraded to 500 GB)
Trophies: 492
Old 12-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #20
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Anything sent out beyond your router from computers on your local network uses "upload" bandwidth so you're uploading even if you don't realize it. For example, if you send e-mails, then you upload. I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be megabytes-worth though, unless you sent some attachments. Additionally, any number of applications and even your OS may be sending some amount of data (usage statistics, version numbers to check for updates, etc). Again, I wouldn't expect that data to add up to much - it just depends.
rotation report (my media consumption)
splatter of light (my creative output)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3